(Topic ID: 212282)

Is being a fan of Star Trek a must to enjoy STTNG?

By KornFreak28

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 52 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by dsmoke1986
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Untitled_Artwork (resized).jpg
makeitso (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kornfreak28.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

My first pinball machine was a Star Wars DE 1992 and I loved it because I love Star Wars. Never really cared for Star Trek, so I wonder if I would still enjoy STTNG? Thoughts?

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from TimO:

I've rarely had a theme get in the way of enjoying playing a machine. But having a pin under my roof with a theme I don't like would be another thing entirely.

Looks like a fun machine in youtube videos, but I get what you are saying.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from bigbadmiker:

I'm a huge fan of the show, but family and friends aren't all fans. They still enjoy the pin.

This is encouraging!

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

Yeah. Like, i could not care less about the movie "The Shadow", but it's a great game. Demolition Man was kind of a dumb movie, but again, the flow and gameplay on that pin is generally a lot of fun, so it doesn't bother me.
However, there are a couple of pins themed around bands which I happen to consider the #2 and #3 worst bands of all time. I'm sure i'd actively avoid owning those pins, no matter how good the gameplay is.
I guess what I'm saying is it's not a problem at all unless the theme truly grates on you.

I agree. Thanks!

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

It will get you to start watching the show ....

#22 6 years ago

You guys are making this decision so much easier! Thanks!!!

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

No way.
Example: I think most people would agree that both the artwork and movie which The Shadow pinball machine is based on is horrendous, but that doesn't stop it from being thoroughly enjoyed by almost everyone. Same goes for BSD. Great games, horrible source IP.

I agree. Love BSD!

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

I was in the same boat as you. I was always a Kirk/Spock/Bones man, never watched one episode of STTNG. Completely rejected the idea of Captain Picard & a new crew. Wouldn't bother watching the show in the 90's.
Then I bought the pin. Loved the gameplay & callouts. So much fun. Next thing you know, I start watching STTNG episodes on Netflix. Realize Captain Picard is the man! Watch out for the BORG!
If it wasn't for the pin, I never would have never become a fan of the show

Lol! Looks like I’ll be in the hunt for a nice STTNG very soon

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from Coz:

Saw a nice one for sale for $12000 here on pinside. For that much, it better include a meet and greet with the entire cast

Lol! Way too funny Coz! Yeah, I saw it. Very nice machine!

#36 6 years ago

What are the most common problem areas with this game? What must I watch out for when buying STTNG?

#38 6 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

Theres one for sale now on Pinside for 5K adamross). Including a pinsound card, fidelity speakers, and more. Owned in the past and hated selling it.

I'll check it out, Thanks!

#41 6 years ago
Quoted from viper001:

I have owned or been responsible for about 5 of these. The #1 problem to be aware of is the poor grounding of the auxiliary 8 driver board. Basically, STTNG (and a couple of other games of that era) exceeded the number of coils that could be driven off of a WPC driver board, so they added an additional 8 driver board next to the big one. Problem is, that board is grounded by running a tiny wire to a drop target solenoid near the top of the playfield. If that wire fails (and it will), many of the coils being driven off that extra board will tend to fry themselves. From memory, most/all of the coils on the elaborate under-playfield-subway ramp are controlled off of that board along with a few flashers.
Most of the repair notes will have some suggestions for fixing this situation before it becomes a problem. I have a little pile of those light brown wrapper coils used to the control the subway diverters that say you should do what those notes say.
Otherwise it's no better/worse than other games of the era.

I'll certainly keep this in mind and do some research on it. Thanks!

#43 6 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

i've owned mine for about 5 years now. my advice is get one with a clean subway, or clean the subway yourself right away.
the most common problem i see with STTNGs is the game either losing track of the ball, or kicking a second ball out on to the playfield unexpectedly. both malfunctions are often the result of dirty optos. you can clean them off, but they will just get dirty again quickly if your subway is filthy. a dirt-free playfield and subway really helps the reliability of this game in my experience.

I used to have the same issue with BSD. It would launch a second ball unexpectedly. Very frustrating issue. Thanks for this info!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 15.00
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mechanicsville, VA
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 63.95
Machine - For Sale
Sanford, NC
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 85.00
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 64.99
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kornfreak28.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-being-a-fan-of-star-trek-a-must-to-enjoy-sttng?tu=kornfreak28 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.