(Topic ID: 212282)

Is being a fan of Star Trek a must to enjoy STTNG?

By KornFreak28

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 52 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by dsmoke1986
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Untitled_Artwork (resized).jpg
makeitso (resized).jpg
There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 6 years ago

My first pinball machine was a Star Wars DE 1992 and I loved it because I love Star Wars. Never really cared for Star Trek, so I wonder if I would still enjoy STTNG? Thoughts?

#2 6 years ago

Not a requirement

#3 6 years ago

I've rarely had a theme get in the way of enjoying playing a machine. But having a pin under my roof with a theme I don't like would be another thing entirely.

#4 6 years ago

No.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from TimO:

I've rarely had a theme get in the way of enjoying playing a machine. But having a pin under my roof with a theme I don't like would be another thing entirely.

Looks like a fun machine in youtube videos, but I get what you are saying.

#6 6 years ago

I'm a huge fan of the show, but family and friends aren't all fans. They still enjoy the pin.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from bigbadmiker:

I'm a huge fan of the show, but family and friends aren't all fans. They still enjoy the pin.

This is encouraging!

#8 6 years ago

No but it makes the game more complete when you understand the callouts

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from TimO:

Yeah. Like, i could not care less about the movie "The Shadow", but it's a great game. Demolition Man was kind of a dumb movie, but again, the flow and gameplay on that pin is generally a lot of fun, so it doesn't bother me.

However, there are a couple of pins themed around bands which I happen to consider the #2 and #3 worst bands of all time. I'm sure i'd actively avoid owning those pins, no matter how good the gameplay is.

I guess what I'm saying is it's not a problem at all unless the theme truly grates on you.

#10 6 years ago

It will get you to start watching the show ....

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

Yeah. Like, i could not care less about the movie "The Shadow", but it's a great game. Demolition Man was kind of a dumb movie, but again, the flow and gameplay on that pin is generally a lot of fun, so it doesn't bother me.
However, there are a couple of pins themed around bands which I happen to consider the #2 and #3 worst bands of all time. I'm sure i'd actively avoid owning those pins, no matter how good the gameplay is.
I guess what I'm saying is it's not a problem at all unless the theme truly grates on you.

I agree. Thanks!

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Skip seasons one and two, though.

I mean, okay, there are a handful of decent episodes in the first two seasons (Conspiracy, Measure of a Man), but overall the quality shoots way up in season three, holds its peak through season 6, and dips slightly in season 7. There are still some awesome episodes in season 7, though -- Parallels, Tapestry, and Lower Decks are all top-tier episodes, and the series finale, All Good Things..., is one of the all-time most satisfying conclusions to any TV series.

#14 6 years ago

No, but it is extremely useful to understand WPC boardsets and opto technology to maintain this game.

#15 6 years ago

I have no interest in the show, watched some episodes, didn’t grab me.
The game is awesome. I have had it for 4 years. Love playing it.

#16 6 years ago

As with most themes, knowledge and understanding of the theme goes a long way. Sttng has all of the shows actors custom a speach and modes based on the shows. If you like the show, you’ll have a lot more enjoyable experience. If you don’t like the show, it’s still a fun machine. I owned one for a while, and watched the show as a teen. Great theme integration

#17 6 years ago

I started watching TNG because of the game. Then I started a podcast based on watching the show for the first time (we're nearing the end of Season 2). The game will absolutely spoil you on what theme integration could/should be for all pins.

#18 6 years ago

Owning the game actually made me take the interest in the show. Watching the show make you appreciate the dialog in the game a bit more, but I was attracted to the game far before the show

#19 6 years ago

I’m starting to love this game and I couldn’t care less about Star Trek.

#20 6 years ago

Absolutely not, it is a killer game, and can be very deep. Wide body though! You have been warned!

#21 6 years ago

Actually if you are a fan of Star Trek, TNG is more like a sequel than anything else.

But yeah, it's a good game even if you aren't much into sequels.

#22 6 years ago

You guys are making this decision so much easier! Thanks!!!

#23 6 years ago

never was a star trek fan, but love my star trek pro. same thing with my Baywatch, the shadow, congo, etc.

#24 6 years ago

Never a fan of TNG TV show. And I don't enjoy the pin ...I just didn't click with the game at home . A few months in I knew it wasn't for me. It is long gone ... would I have enjoyed it more knowing the series ? Maybe, maybe not

#25 6 years ago

Don't need to be a Trekkie to enjoy this pin.
It's the only one i own right now, and I'm not a Trekkie at all.
The game is fast, fun, and lots to do.
7 missions then a really fun wizard mode.
Once you learn the rules (like all pins) it becomes more fun and challenging.

#27 6 years ago

Nope I hadn't even seen the show when I started playing the game . I only decided to watch the show because I enjoyed the game so much.

#28 6 years ago

No way.

Example: I think most people would agree that both the artwork and movie which The Shadow pinball machine is based on is horrendous, but that doesn't stop it from being thoroughly enjoyed by almost everyone. Same goes for BSD. Great games, horrible source IP.

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

No way.
Example: I think most people would agree that both the artwork and movie which The Shadow pinball machine is based on is horrendous, but that doesn't stop it from being thoroughly enjoyed by almost everyone. Same goes for BSD. Great games, horrible source IP.

I agree. Love BSD!

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

No way.

Couldn’t agree more.

#31 6 years ago

I was in the same boat as you. I was always a Kirk/Spock/Bones man, never watched one episode of STTNG. Completely rejected the idea of Captain Picard & a new crew. Wouldn't bother watching the show in the 90's.

Then I bought the pin. Loved the gameplay & callouts. So much fun. Next thing you know, I start watching STTNG episodes on Netflix. Realize Captain Picard is the man! Watch out for the BORG!

If it wasn't for the pin, I never would have never become a fan of the show

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

I was in the same boat as you. I was always a Kirk/Spock/Bones man, never watched one episode of STTNG. Completely rejected the idea of Captain Picard & a new crew. Wouldn't bother watching the show in the 90's.
Then I bought the pin. Loved the gameplay & callouts. So much fun. Next thing you know, I start watching STTNG episodes on Netflix. Realize Captain Picard is the man! Watch out for the BORG!
If it wasn't for the pin, I never would have never become a fan of the show

Lol! Looks like I’ll be in the hunt for a nice STTNG very soon

#33 6 years ago

Also one of the most underrated games. Prices are more modest than all the overrated games...

snaroff

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Saw a nice one for sale for $12000 here on pinside. For that much, it better include a meet and greet with the entire cast

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from Coz:

Saw a nice one for sale for $12000 here on pinside. For that much, it better include a meet and greet with the entire cast

Lol! Way too funny Coz! Yeah, I saw it. Very nice machine!

#36 6 years ago

What are the most common problem areas with this game? What must I watch out for when buying STTNG?

#37 6 years ago

Theres one for sale now on Pinside for 5K @adamross). Including a pinsound card, fidelity speakers, and more. Owned in the past and hated selling it.

#38 6 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

Theres one for sale now on Pinside for 5K adamross). Including a pinsound card, fidelity speakers, and more. Owned in the past and hated selling it.

I'll check it out, Thanks!

#39 6 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

What are the most common problem areas with this game? What must I watch out for when buying STTNG?

I have owned or been responsible for about 5 of these. The #1 problem to be aware of is the poor grounding of the auxiliary 8 driver board. Basically, STTNG (and a couple of other games of that era) exceeded the number of coils that could be driven off of a WPC driver board, so they added an additional 8 driver board next to the big one. Problem is, that board is grounded by running a tiny wire to a drop target solenoid near the top of the playfield. If that wire fails (and it will), many of the coils being driven off that extra board will tend to fry themselves. From memory, most/all of the coils on the elaborate under-playfield-subway ramp are controlled off of that board along with a few flashers.

Most of the repair notes will have some suggestions for fixing this situation before it becomes a problem. I have a little pile of those light brown wrapper coils used to the control the subway diverters that say you should do what those notes say.

Otherwise it's no better/worse than other games of the era.

#40 6 years ago

Familiarity is certainly not required to enjoy the game.

However, the fact is that Next Gen has by far the best theme integration in terms of audio and call outs of any machine ever. While it is a good machine in its own right, it is the immersive experience from the theme integration that makes it exceptional.

#41 6 years ago
Quoted from viper001:

I have owned or been responsible for about 5 of these. The #1 problem to be aware of is the poor grounding of the auxiliary 8 driver board. Basically, STTNG (and a couple of other games of that era) exceeded the number of coils that could be driven off of a WPC driver board, so they added an additional 8 driver board next to the big one. Problem is, that board is grounded by running a tiny wire to a drop target solenoid near the top of the playfield. If that wire fails (and it will), many of the coils being driven off that extra board will tend to fry themselves. From memory, most/all of the coils on the elaborate under-playfield-subway ramp are controlled off of that board along with a few flashers.
Most of the repair notes will have some suggestions for fixing this situation before it becomes a problem. I have a little pile of those light brown wrapper coils used to the control the subway diverters that say you should do what those notes say.
Otherwise it's no better/worse than other games of the era.

I'll certainly keep this in mind and do some research on it. Thanks!

#42 6 years ago

i've owned mine for about 5 years now. my advice is get one with a clean subway, or clean the subway yourself right away.

the most common problem i see with STTNGs is the game either losing track of the ball, or kicking a second ball out on to the playfield unexpectedly. both malfunctions are often the result of dirty optos. you can clean them off, but they will just get dirty again quickly if your subway is filthy. a dirt-free playfield and subway really helps the reliability of this game in my experience.

#43 6 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

i've owned mine for about 5 years now. my advice is get one with a clean subway, or clean the subway yourself right away.
the most common problem i see with STTNGs is the game either losing track of the ball, or kicking a second ball out on to the playfield unexpectedly. both malfunctions are often the result of dirty optos. you can clean them off, but they will just get dirty again quickly if your subway is filthy. a dirt-free playfield and subway really helps the reliability of this game in my experience.

I used to have the same issue with BSD. It would launch a second ball unexpectedly. Very frustrating issue. Thanks for this info!

#44 6 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

makeitso (resized).jpgmakeitso (resized).jpg

#45 6 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

I used to have the same issue with BSD. It would launch a second ball unexpectedly. Very frustrating issue. Thanks for this info!

There are multiple threads about it but the optos are definitely the biggest pain, and can be hard to resolve because the problems are sporadic. Along with everything else that's been said making sure the solder on the two left VUK optos is solid and then the IDC connectors on the opto board being reliable are the things that made my problems go away. I've had the game for a long time and recently thought about selling it for that reason but then couldn't really come up with any games I thought deserved to replace it in the same price range so it's staying a while longer.

#46 6 years ago

Great game!

Untitled_Artwork (resized).jpgUntitled_Artwork (resized).jpg

#47 6 years ago

Season 2 is pretty bad honestly. Katherine Pulaski may be the most annoying character in all of Star Trek. The show really takes off when they get new uniforms. However, I will say the show is the reason I bought the game, and I'm extremely happy I did. I'll never sell mine.

#48 6 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

Skip seasons one and two, though.

Quoted from Pahuffman:

Season 2 is pretty bad honestly.

Man I gotta disagree with you nerds there. Although you'd miss Skin of Evil and meeting Q, I can understand a pass on Season 1; but season 2, no way. True the fist great ep is Measure of a Man, but season 2 has a lot more than that.
Moriarty, Riker traded to Klingons, Picard being a dick to his double, Strategema, Shutting down Pulaski's smug ass!

Good stuff, not all perfect of course.

#49 6 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

Season 2 is pretty bad honestly. Katherine Pulaski may be the most annoying character in all of Star Trek. The show really takes off when they get new uniforms. However, I will say the show is the reason I bought the game, and I'm extremely happy I did. I'll never sell mine.

Pulaski was a huge miscalculation by the writers. It wasn't the actress's fault. They wanted someone to have a Bones-Spock dynamic with Commander Data, so they had Dr. Pulaski come in and try to be kind of his human "counterpoint", to take jabs at him and debate him.

But there were several fundamental problems with this. The primary problem is that Data, being an emotionless android, was never going to hit back. So Pulaski just came off as a bully. It's not a friendly rivalry when the aggression is completely one-sided. Spock and Data were both masters of logic, but unlike Data, Spock was also a master of sarcasm and wry wit. He could punch back in a way Data couldn't.

Second, there were problems with the way the writers went about it. They had Pulaski adopt completely untenable positions, like denying Data's sentience, or insist on mis-pronouncing his name even after being corrected, for no reason other than to be mean.

Quoted from TheLaw:

Man I gotta disagree with you nerds there. Although you'd miss Skin of Evil and meeting Q, I can understand a pass on Season 1; but season 2, no way. True the fist great ep is Measure of a Man, but season 2 has a lot more than that.
Moriarty, Riker traded to Klingons, Picard being a dick to his double, Strategema, Shutting down Pulaski's smug ass!
Good stuff, not all perfect of course.

Yeah, fair points, I do like all of those episodes. The writing in season 2 is still pretty stilted at times, though, and Frakes and Patrick Stewart are still not quite at the peak of their game. Picard is still a little too cranky, and Riker is still a little too smug .. in later seasons, those traits are tempered a lot. But that's nit-picking I suppose.

#50 6 years ago

You guys are at a whole other level of STTNG nerdism.

I just enjoyed watching the show, I never analyzed it to that ^^^^^^ level!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 64.99
Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.00
$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mechanicsville, VA
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 63.95
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 9.95
$ 85.00
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-being-a-fan-of-star-trek-a-must-to-enjoy-sttng and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.