53444910 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_2017-01-16-00-03-48 (resized).png
Screenshot_2017-01-16-00-03-36 (resized).png
Screenshot_2017-01-16-00-04-05 (resized).png
IMG_1615 (resized).JPG
IMG_1614 (resized).JPG
Playfield (2) (resized).jpg
772f1 (resized).jpg
There are 103 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 7 years ago
Quoted from Otaku:

Let's not forget the 70's Chicago Coin games on the Hall Of Shame. The 60's games were pretty great but something happened in the Chicago Coin factory in the 70's - a magical spell where every game became a flaming pile of fecal matter! On a serious note, I wonder why their quality dipped so low from the 60's to the 70's. Twinky and Beatniks look really fun and eye-pleasing, and I'm not just pulling this out of my ass, lots agree that they were good in the 60's and in the 70's everything turned to shit, like a night and day difference.
No, but really, here was my first game. Chicago Coin's Showtime (picture shown is Dolphin, the two player version, playfield is identical); you lock 3 balls to gain an extra ball. That is IT. There's some bonus advance stuff too but not much else. They're also godawful in build quality, the internals are pretty bad. Do not like the steppers for sure.
Not sure I like the cabinets either. It was my first machine and I kept it in my bedroom but ended up covering it up when I didn't play it because it was... creepy? Dunno, just big and industrial looking I guess rather than the cooler commercial look of games from other manufacturers.
All in all, I keep it around (but 19 times out of 20 taken apart) because it was my first game but also because I will never recoup the $300 I spent buying it... It's really really plain but I can even have a little fun with it. Everything's always got a high score to reach for. Get an extra ball every ball and shoot for what's left sounds like a fun strategy to get a big score. Even if a game just had two flippers and a pop bumper - see how many times you can hit the pop bumper. That's how I look at it.

Why were the CC gun games decent & the pins crap?

#52 7 years ago

Otaku, you are pretty much spot on as far as CC goes. However, quality build didn't matter to much in the early 70's. There were tons of quarters being dropped into games like Hollywood and Blue Max. And I am guessing, just like early Stern's, they probably sold for a bit less than the other big Three. But they certainly produced some real turds. Dolphins comes to mind immediately.

#53 7 years ago

I have a handful of EMs including an Abra but I think I like this goofy CC Olympics most of all. I'm not sure what's wrong with me....

IMG_1614 (resized).JPGIMG_1614 (resized).JPG

IMG_1615 (resized).JPGIMG_1615 (resized).JPG

#54 7 years ago

So, some strong feelings about this game.... Funny thing is, the guy isn't around for me to go see it. Why? He's in Mexico. Doing what? I can only assume he is watching a matador wrangle "el Toro". I will update with my thoughts as soon I have seen and played. I hope I love it so it contradicts so many opinions!

#55 7 years ago

I would play an El Toro in a heartbeat in 1976. I would buy a whole Project machine for a good price.Then it would receive high tap and severe attention to speed it up.
The speed makes a Player.

#56 7 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

I would play an El Toro in a heartbeat in 1976. I would buy a whole Project machine for a good price.Then it would receive high tap and severe attention to speed it up.
The speed makes a Player.

That's its saving grace. The guys at ReplayFX had their Toro dialed in snappy and fast. Still necessary to wait for the ball to descend through those lanes... but the action was zingy fast everywhere else.

Reiny, I'd have to play Ro-Go back-to-back with Toro to be sure which was better... but if it was close I'd go with Toro for the artwork. At least one person over here described it as "beautiful" after seeing the listing. I dig the red Spanish motif and 'lil cab. It definitely has some charm to it.

I think it could be a good machine to teach a newbie the restoration process. Or serve as a static illuminated piece of art in the right room. I dunno... I just don't see it anywhere near "worst of all time". Gottlieb's Road Race is worse. Many others come to mind.

Check out Ro-Go from 5:00 onward. Big vertical column of drain. Ball keeps going down the toilet even when the center horseshoe shot is made. Just seems like a constant uphill grind.

El Toro has more mesmerizing action. The stop-and-go quality is annoying, but otherwise the ball zings around well. I think this may be the same machine which was at ReplayFX.

#57 7 years ago

Nic,
That center shot is worth the risk and as I recall, it doesn't drain every time. It takes some flipper control, properly dispatched ball trajectory, and lots of alternate flip ball saves.

That tiny white button give a huge reward: 5000 points and 5 bonus advances. Which actually translates to 14,000 when you add the two rollovers. And, from what I recall, the Special works off the match unit and taunts you once out of every ten 10 points scored.

I do wish Christiansen's artwork had been done in a different color scheme on the backglass but the playfield never bothered me with the bright reds yellows and greens. And the sky blue prototype isn't any better.

#58 7 years ago

BLY El Toro has never really attracted me.
It is too dark
The plastics are the typical Dick White plain graphics.
The whole game reminds me of a Elvis portrait painted on velvet.
And most every encounter in the wild has been a disappointment,
as the games that i have played were always sluggish and weak;
that might not be the games fault but the operators,
but first impressions tend to linger.

#59 7 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

Why were the CC gun games decent & the pins crap?

That's exactly what it was dasvis, it was an arcade and gun game great trying to cash in on the pinball market.

#60 7 years ago

So, I took the plunge and bought the game. I've had a rough weekend with game buying... I missed out on a dedicated Popeye game, a MK1 cab, and another game I was going to turn into a multicade so with great reservation and written proof that I could return the game for a full refund if I was not satisfied after bringing it home, I bought it. My wife thought the theme was, and I quote, "meh...." but told me to get it if I wanted, so I did. (I'm sure she's saving every pinball purchase for something, somewhere, someday) Hopefully I can pick it up tomorrow. I may be crazy, who knows?

#61 7 years ago

Oh wow that's practically next door for you. Did you buy it from eBay? Or did the seller go lower via another method?

Either way, since this is the official El Toro thread, we wanna see pics. Hope it turns out well!

#62 7 years ago
Quoted from Leakyfaucet:

So, I took the plunge and bought the game.

Good for you! You're gonna have a good time playing it.

#63 7 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

Oh wow that's practically next door for you. Did you buy it from eBay?

Yes I bought it from eBay, the seller was <20 miles away.
I kind of feel like I'm creating the island of misfit games.

Quoted from monsonb:

Good for you! You're gonna have a good time playing it.

I hope so!

Quoted from NicoVolta:

since this is the official El Toro thread, we wanna see pics

The only pics I have so far are the typical blurry CL pics. Hold on.... real pics will follow once I put new rubbers and clean and wax it!

#64 7 years ago

Screenshot_2017-01-16-00-04-05 (resized).pngScreenshot_2017-01-16-00-04-05 (resized).png

Screenshot_2017-01-16-00-03-36 (resized).pngScreenshot_2017-01-16-00-03-36 (resized).png

#65 7 years ago

Screenshot_2017-01-16-00-03-48 (resized).pngScreenshot_2017-01-16-00-03-48 (resized).png

#66 7 years ago

Looks nice with the repainted cab. BTW some of the comments bemoan "waiting" for the ball to come down through the rollovers, I think the idea is to nudge it into where it needs to go. Should sharpen your nudging skilz.

#67 7 years ago

Has great cabinet paint at least. Bright white, but are you sure it's repainted? ^

#68 7 years ago
Quoted from Otaku:

Has great cabinet paint at least. Bright white, but are you sure it's repainted? ^

I can't say as to whether or not it has been repainted, the owner has had it over 20 years and a few years ago "restored" it. That could be open to interpretation, much like shopping out a game could have meant just put new rubbers and using a wet wipe for dust.

#69 7 years ago

When I played El Toro I remember it had that one more game appeal. All you need to do is hit all the upper rollovers to light special, but it seemed more times than not, there was always at least one more letter to light. But still once you do that, you need to get the special as well.

For 1970, it was a good looking, fun playing game.

#70 7 years ago
Quoted from Otaku:

No I'm mistaken, for some reason I thought it had a dark red cab to match the glass, maybe the one I've played at a show had a red cab repaint. Anyway looks in nice shape.

#71 7 years ago

So leakyfaucet when we meet up some time you owe me a beer or two for my finder's fee. Glad it turned out for you

#72 7 years ago
Quoted from polyacanthus:

Anyway looks in nice shape.

That's what I thought. Hopefully the other side is as nice!

Quoted from o-din:

When I played El Toro I remember it had that one more game appeal.

This is encouraging!

#73 7 years ago
Quoted from PoBoyPinball:

So leakyfaucet when we meet up some time you owe me a beer or two for my finder's fee. Glad it turned out for you

For sure, corona or XX to stick to the theme! Unless it sucks, then you owe me a beer, and it would need to be a Stout or IPA!

#74 7 years ago
Quoted from Leakyfaucet:

This is encouraging!

I was around 10 years old, but it was the machine that took all my pocket change that day. It also seemed to be the most popular game among the other 5 that were at that particular pizza place with other players. I can't remember the other game titles, but I think this might have been the only Bally there.

Haters gonna hate!

#75 7 years ago

Corona or Modelo would be great I may just have to ride over some day and get some EM action in your not that far from me

#76 7 years ago

Corona or Modelo would be great I may just have to ride over some day and get some EM action in your not that far from me

Is Leesville near Alexandra or pineville?

#77 7 years ago

As boring as it may be to some, I have an attachment to this game that takes me back to the early 70s and a great camp where I got to play it at a nickel a pop. Aside from that the art appeals very much to me and I would gladly pay a reasonable amount to have it in my personal collection. If I had the room. And the money. Any one have an old play field they'll part with?

#78 7 years ago

Man, just looking at the pictures of it is putting me to sleep....

#79 7 years ago

East of Burkville / Jasper

#80 7 years ago

East of Burkville / Jasper

Oh ok! I used to drive through there. I lived in a little town called spurger and my mom lived in Alexandria and I'd head through Jasper and Leesville. I knew it sounded familiar.

#81 7 years ago
Quoted from Euchrid:

Man, just looking at the pictures of it is putting me to sleep....

(checks Euchrid's collection... only sees one EM... reserves judgment...)

#82 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I was around 10 years old, but it was the machine that took all my pocket change that day. It also seemed to be the most popular game among the other 5 that were at that particular pizza place with other players. I can't remember the other game titles, but I think this might have been the only Bally there.
Haters gonna hate!

I can fully understand having a fond connection to any game in a nostalgic "back in the day" context. But in a wider context so many years later, among classic pinball collectors, we judge games in a whole new light. There are those games that are ordinary and generally not desirable as collectible games. While Bally "El Toro" or any other game for that matter, may hold a cherished position in someone's memory, it is widely recognized today as a very ordinary "common" game; certainly not a "classic", and certainly not collectible. "Ro Go" and many other titles fall into this category as well. To each his own, and I generally love all things pinball, but there are many titles I wouldn't want; even for free.

#83 7 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

I can fully understand having a fond connection to any game in a nostalgic "back in the day" context. But in a wider context so many years later, among classic pinball collectors, we judge games in a whole new light. There are those games that are ordinary and generally not desirable as collectible games. While Bally "El Toro" or any other game for that matter, may hold a cherished position in someone's memory, it is widely recognized today as a very ordinary "common" game; certainly not a "classic", and certainly not collectible. "Ro Go" and many other titles fall into this category as well. To each his own, and I generally love all things pinball, but there are many titles I wouldn't want; even for free.

I understand this completely, but having just gotten into pinball and looking to expand my collection, knowledge, and skills I look to find cheap titles that are less than desirable and use them to learn on. If I mess something up? Oh well. If I ruin a playfield? At least it's not a desirable title for people to rant and rave over. It's nothing you want.. but I do. I'm happy with my island of misfit games. Makes me happy, lights my kids eyes up and we all have fun. Basically everything pinball is about is still completely achievable on all these "common" and certainly not collectable games.

#84 7 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

I can fully understand having a fond connection to any game in a nostalgic "back in the day" context. But in a wider context so many years later, among classic pinball collectors, we judge games in a whole new light.

Sure, now I only collect 2 inch flipper EMs and mostly Williams because I find them to be the most challenging and best players.

And it has nothing to do with a cherished memory as my Sting Ray got jacked that day and I never got it back.

Point I was making, in that arcade, at that time, El Toro was the game to play, and offered what looked like a good chance to win a replay, but wasn't as easy as that.

Currently, owning it would interest me about as much as any other long flipper 70s game and would probably provide as much fun. But for somebody not as deep in the hobby as you or I am now, it might be a perfect fit.

#85 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

But for somebody not as deep in the hobby as you or I am now, it might be a perfect fit.

Exactly!

#86 7 years ago
Quoted from Leakyfaucet:

I understand this completely, but having just gotten into pinball and looking to expand my collection, knowledge, and skills I look to find cheap titles that are less than desirable and use them to learn on. If I mess something up? Oh well. If I ruin a playfield? At least it's not a desirable title for people to rant and rave over. It's nothing you want.. but I do. I'm happy with my island of misfit games. Makes me happy, lights my kids eyes up and we all have fun. Basically everything pinball is about is still completely achievable on all these "common" and certainly not collectable games.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Different strokes... Happy pinball!

#87 7 years ago

May El Toro be to you what Klondike was to me. Stepping stone to older and better games!

#88 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Sure, now I only collect 2 inch flipper EMs and mostly Williams because I find them to be the most challenging and best players.
And it has nothing to do with a cherished memory as my Sting Ray got jacked that day and I never got it back.
Point I was making, in that arcade, at that time, El Toro was the game to play, and offered what looked like a good chance to win a replay, but wasn't as easy as that.
Currently, owning it would interest me about as much as any other long flipper 70s game and would probably provide as much fun. But for somebody not as deep in the hobby as you or I am now, it might be a perfect fit.

I totally agree. I would want all vintage games to find a happy home and someone who will enjoy them. I guess somewhere out there is a guy who collects Ford Pintos or Chevy Chevettes and loves them.

#89 7 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

somewhere out there is a guy who collects Ford Pintos or Chevy Chevettes and loves them.

From what I've seen in the pinball world, some collect them in rows.

#90 7 years ago

and maybe Datsun B-210's. Just kidding.

#91 7 years ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

and maybe Datsun B-210's. Just kidding.

My wife bought a new Datsun B-210 (well before she was my wife) with a stick shift. She didn't know how to drive it, but learned real quick driving it home from the dealership! I wouldn't mind having my little Toyota Starlet back again!

#92 7 years ago

My 2c

Fire Wood

Don't buy it

#93 7 years ago
Quoted from Bribo13:

My 2c
Fire Wood
Don't buy it

El Fuego

#94 7 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

(checks Euchrid's collection... only sees one EM... reserves judgment...)

I own star pool and prospector, thank you. But I've played many an EM and love most. I've also play EL Toro and, come on, it's bad. Yeah, yeah, there's no such thing as bad pizza, sex or pinball, but man some pizzas are a lot better than others....

#95 7 years ago

Wasn't this the same machine. Looks like it just sold today.
ebay.com link: Classic Bally El Toro Pinball Machine

Maybe it didn't pass the test?

#96 7 years ago
Quoted from Euchrid:

I own star pool and prospector, thank you. But I've played many an EM and love most. I've also play EL Toro and, come on, it's bad. Yeah, yeah, there's no such thing as bad pizza, sex or pinball, but man some pizzas are a lot better than others....

I hear ya... just ribbing you a bit since a lot of SS-heavy owners make the "too boring" comment.

#97 7 years ago
Quoted from Euchrid:

Yeah, yeah, there's no such thing as bad pizza...

I was in Memphis about 25 years ago, and pulled into a place that had a sign outside stating "world's best pizza".
Obviously I was skeptical, but man, this was no doubt the world's WORST pizza!!! If you took a roofing shingle and slathered it with ketchup, it would be comparable!

#98 7 years ago

Domino's, Hungry Howies, Papa Johns, are those considered good pizza joints? Pizza so bad, they offer free delivery. Left out Pizza Hut, cheap but edible.

Not sure what this has to do with El Toro

#99 7 years ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

Bad pizza, bad pinball!

#100 7 years ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

I'd stick with the tacos myself.

53444910 (resized).jpg53444910 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 103 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-bally-el-toro/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.