Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 30 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 66 days ago by jhermann
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Atari X/O football "Lastability"”

• Yes it will be a permanent member of any game room... 7 votes
      41%
    • No, it is fun but grows old over time.. 10 votes
      59%

(17 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

atari-football-acrylic-play-selector (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    20180808_192144 (resized).jpg
    20180808_192459 (resized).jpg
    20180808_192506 (resized).jpg
    20180808_191527 (resized).jpg
    20180213_110810 (resized).jpg
    100_2264 (resized).JPG
    477224.jpg
    #1 8 years ago

I'm thinking about adding this game to my game room...I played it only back in the late seventies

and wonder if it has "Lastability" now....I remember it was punishing on my hands but I can wear gloves..

477224.jpg477224.jpg

#2 8 years ago

there's like 4 offensive and 4 defensive plays.
    to win, just use 1 of the defensive plays.
    make sure both rollerballs work well.
    recommend doing something around the outer rim of rollerballs to keep from loosing the skin on your finger tips.

fun though

#3 8 years ago

I put some plays on it at a barcade I was at, and it seemed like there was one defensive play that would block the offence no matter what. If I could find away around that issue then it'd be a great game, but as it stands the only way someone had a chance was if the other player let them.

#4 8 years ago

Absolutely. Memories of people rolling that bowling ball track ball with all they had, pre track and field. Very timeless game..and pretty rare. Must have been 250 knockoffs over the next 5 years..of all sizes. Will always have a permanent place. Grab..definitely a value riser too!

#5 8 years ago
    Quoted from ejg10532626:

Absolutely. Memories of people rolling that bowling ball track ball with all they had, pre track and field. Very timeless game..and pretty rare. Must have been 250 knockoffs over the next 5 years..of all sizes. Will always have a permanent place. Grab..definitely a value riser too!

Only the 4 player version is rare. There were over 10,000 of the two player versions made. It is a neat game over beer. Gridiron Fight is a much better version of that same game but it is much harder to find. Is XO a keeper? You'll probably play it only when company comes over. It is fun but it isn't a "great" game. Irritating Maze is a very medicore game that I would jump to pickup in a dedicated cabinet with air compressor if I found one even though I know it is more a novelty than a game. Probably the bigger question is 'do you have room for games that you'll probably not play much but it is more for when you have company?'

#6 8 years ago

Thanks for the great advice..Sounds like the 4 player is the one to get..Maybe has more Lastability.

#7 8 years ago

There's also a sister machine but as baseball. Has crazy ball physics-breaking control with the rollerball.

#8 8 years ago

I owned one for a long time, It gathered a lot of dust. This is a very nostalgic game will be fun but it grows old. Your hands get beat up. It doesn't hold well against the Pinballs or VG's that you may have in your gameroom. Hard to sell it afterwards. If you can find one for a right price shoot for it but if not to pay a premium.

#9 8 years ago

Those take up way too much space for the amount of fun they provide. My friend had one at his arcade for about a year but sold it because the space it took up just wasn't worth it.

#10 8 years ago

I appreciate the comments.

2 years later
    #11 5 years ago

Well hey there!
    Was googling around about Atari Football and wound up here, imagine that.
    I have a Track and Field in an old Atari Football cabinet. I don't remember AF, and it seems kinda lame. But I do love me some TaF.
    My question is: should I take it back to AF, since that's what it was originally? Or just keep it as the much more fun TaF? I already bought the Phoenix Arcade cpo overlay for TaF, but that doesn't concern me much if a restored AF is worth a decent amount.
    Or should I just grab a cold one and go back to suckin at Iron Maiden?

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

My question is: should I take it back to AF, since that's what it was originally? Or just keep it as the much more fun TaF?

I'm not a fan of TaF with a ball but you should take it to Hyper Sports.

#13 5 years ago

I have both the TnF cocktail and the AF. 'IF' I had to choose a keeper, it would be the TnF because you can play/practice/train by yourself vs CPU. With AF, you HAVE to have two players. My kids aren't tough enough yet!

I actually have another AF cab that I plan to make into a custom Missile Command cocktail. The original upright used the large trackball but the factory cocktail used the smaller trackballs. So, my MC cocktail will be better!

100_2264 (resized).JPG100_2264 (resized).JPG20180213_110810 (resized).jpg20180213_110810 (resized).jpg
    #14 5 years ago

Man your examples look GOOD! Guess I'll leave it as TnF; esp since tracking down those giant trackballs and everything else seems like a huge pain. I just saw a couple examples of AF selling for over 2k but I'm not in this to make money. And I love TnF.

Quoted from TheLaw:

I'm not a fan of TaF with a ball but you should take it to Hyper Sports.

No trackball. TnF cpo.

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

No trackball. TnF cpo.

Then Hyper sports. Getting to the apples on Archery can be your life long goal.

#16 5 years ago

I'm a little foggy....does Hyper Sports include TnF?

#17 5 years ago

Feast yer eyes on THIS BAD BOY!
    **plastic cup full o vodka included for Law's viewing pleasure
    20180808_191527 (resized).jpg20180808_191527 (resized).jpg

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

Feast yer eyes on THIS BAD BOY!
    **plastic cup full o vodka included for Law's viewing pleasure
    [quoted image]

You sure your cabinet is a converted Atari Football?
    The 4 player Track and Field cocktail is a very similar cabinet design.
    If so, very convenient conversion as they look very similar.

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

Hyper Sports is the sequel to Track and Field (effectively Track and Field 2)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyper_Sports
    Different sporting events and very fun.

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

Hypersports is the sequel to Track n Field.
    EDIT: You really can't beat skeet shooting IMO
    I mean it's not hard to beat this guy...he's awful

#21 5 years ago

Pretty sure...
    20180808_192506 (resized).jpg20180808_192506 (resized).jpg
    20180808_192459 (resized).jpg20180808_192459 (resized).jpg

#22 5 years ago

Ahhh. Now I remember. Could I put both games/boards in cabinet? Hyper Sports has the way cooler decal.

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

Pretty sure...
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

Oh wow, yeah your right it has the old owl eye coin door.

#24 5 years ago

Can you believe this has only caught fire ONCE?
    20180808_192144 (resized).jpg20180808_192144 (resized).jpg

#25 5 years ago

On one hand, TnF and Hyper Sports sounds like THE killer combo cab to have.
    On the other hand, with the huge influx of noobs, I'm thinkin a restored *tits* AF from 1978 might fetch me a couple g's. I paid pennies for this.

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

Can you believe this has only caught fire ONCE?
    [quoted image]

Yeah, I would probably attach the monitor chassis to the frame so it doesn’t neck the monitor when you move it

#27 5 years ago

Lol. That's how I bought it, and its always worked. Sparked on me a few times, I just haven't messed with it until today. The colors on screen are faded; my only complaint. Needs LCD replacement for sure.

#28 5 years ago

Goddamnit Law now I gotta play Hyper Sports. Thanks.
    Pins are kinda intimidating. This is gonna be my 1st "restore".
    Must have Hyper Sports now, wondering if I can have both on one board.

5 years later
    #29 7 months ago

I have passed on a couple over the last few years and always regretted it. This one was in pretty nice condition and I couldn't pass it up. Happy to be part of the club.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    4 months later
    #30 66 days ago

This old post mentions a defensive play that basically ruins the game play for the old Atari Football. Which defensive play was it?

atari-football-acrylic-play-selector (resized).jpgatari-football-acrylic-play-selector (resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-atari-xo-football-a-keeper and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.