(Topic ID: 243188)

Is Aquabats a good theme for pinball?

By LoserKid_Pinball

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Would the Aquabats be a good concept for a pinball machine?”

• Yes 9 votes
      11%
    • No 72 votes
      89%

(81 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3135 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4054 (resized).JPG
    aquaducts (resized).jpg
    TheAquabats (resized).jpg
    #1 4 years ago

This is Josh the LoserKid from the LoserKid Pinball Podcast and I'm taking a poll. On episode 9 we discussed different music pins we would like to see and I brought up the Aquabats.

I think their campy shows and humor mixed with their up beat music would be a great match made for pinball.

Vote in the attached poll and let's hear what your thoughts are?

TheAquabats (resized).jpgTheAquabats (resized).jpg

#2 4 years ago

Who is aquabats? Never seen them or heard of them before. Are they targeting kids or adults ? My kids loved the new wiggles- is it like that?

#3 4 years ago

Haha they are a Ska/surf rock band that has been around since 94. They had their own TV show called the Aquabats Super Show that actually won a daytime Emmy.

They do gear their music to be family friendly.

#4 4 years ago

I think it would be Super Rad.

#5 4 years ago

I've never heard of them but this post made me laugh at least.

#6 4 years ago

I have liked them since I first heard them in 95. That being said I dont think a machine themed after them would go anywhere. Unless they only make a few like Primus. But let's be honest primus sucked as a pinball because there was no design behind it.

#7 4 years ago

As a Ska enthusiast, I realize that we won't get a Ska pin. And if we did, the Aquabats, though truly entertaining, would not be nearly popular enough to be the band that got it.

#8 4 years ago

"I am the Ska Boss!!"

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from HowardHurtz:

"I am the Ska Boss!!"

Good song, but it's not an Aquabats original, it's a Skatalites cover.

#10 4 years ago

I'd buy it, not my favorite ska band but a great ska band none the less, and definitely the one with the most iconic personalities fit for a pin.

#11 4 years ago

They’re actually not bad musically if you like ska, and their show was actually pretty damn funny.

#12 4 years ago

User error.

#13 4 years ago

I probably would not be interested never heard of them.

#14 4 years ago

Great for a homebrew. I first saw them on yo gabba gabba, which would also be a fun pin title.

#15 4 years ago

not if an op wants coin drop

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinDoctor82:

As a Ska enthusiast, I realize that we won't get a Ska pin. And if we did, the Aquabats, though truly entertaining, would not be nearly popular enough to be the band that got it.

That is probably very true. My bet is if a ska pin did happen it would probably be No Doubt

#18 4 years ago

man that's a name I haven't heard in forever. saw the aquabats circa 2004 when "yo check out this ride" came out in a little tiny venue with about 20 other people. helped the band load their gear up after the show. I still have my belt somewhere...

i don't listen to much ska anymore. maybe some streetlight (1st album only) or catch 22 with tom k. is about all that's on any of my frequent playlists.

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from Coz:

the new wiggles

my wife and I had no idea there were "old" wigggles. our kids are young. had some family over with a kid that's a teenager and they were pissed "WTF - this isn't the wiggles, who are these impostors" we had no idea.

#20 4 years ago

Aquabats would be a great theme for a pinball machine. It would have to be a boutique or homebrew theme, though. There are definitely 500 people out there that would buy an Aquabats machine.

Even if you don't know anything about the band, the potential mode themes alone would be very funny and appealing to a lot of people.

#21 4 years ago

Never heard of "aquabats".

However, there have been one or two homebrew meme mashup themed pins.

https://www.engadget.com/2014/12/16/raspberry-pi-meme-pinball-machine/

#22 4 years ago

Enjoy the show, but I can't see a Pin here. Homebrew, take it to the limits. And then keep it. But hey, half of the fun is the journey!

So I think the real question might be which machine to retheme

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from LoserKid_Pinball:

That is probably very true. My bet is if a ska pin did happen it would probably be No Doubt

Wouldn’t that be a pop music pin then?

#24 4 years ago

how about just an 'aqua' pin.
    someone could retheme an IJPA.

https://vimeo.com/26695568

and dont forget the 'aqua-ducks'.
    aquaducts (resized).jpgaquaducts (resized).jpg

#25 4 years ago

Listen to the poll...

#26 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinDoctor82:

+1 - on all accounts unfortunately

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from trilogybeer:

Wouldn’t that be a pop music pin then?

I was thinking Tragic Kingdom. Pretty much anything before Rock Steady and the subsequent rap/pop vibe Gwen Stefani turned No Doubt into

#28 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jjsmooth:

Listen to the poll...

Haha honestly I didn't think anyone would go for a Aquabats pinball machine. The fact there is 6 yes here and 5 on Facebook means there at least someone else intrigued at the concept. Lol

I'm chalking it up as a win in my book.

#29 4 years ago

Shark Fighter!

#30 4 years ago

Misfits and Ramones first

#31 4 years ago

The only thing Aqua that should be a pinball is Aquaman. The new movie was bitchen!

#32 4 years ago

Now I need to look up and find out what they sing.

#33 4 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

Now I need to look up and find out what they sing.

Ska / punk / rock band since the 90s but about 10 years ago they did a Saturday morning kids show in the Syd and Marty Kroft style on The Hub (Cartoon Network). It was pretty damn cool and my kids were obsessed.

Two summers ago they did an all ages show at famous The Stone Pony and I took my kids. Was an absolute blast. They invited all kids up on stage for the final number (The Stone Pony is NOT big) with only one rule: Cables are lava. Just good dudes.

IMG_3135 (resized).JPGIMG_3135 (resized).JPGIMG_4054 (resized).JPGIMG_4054 (resized).JPG
    #34 4 years ago

Check out all the "A-List" celebrities that are supporters of the Aquabats!

Seriously though, Jack Black could be key in influencing an Aquabats pin. He's an advocate of pinball and the band.

#35 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinDoctor82:

Good song, but it's not an Aquabats original, it's a Skatalites cover.

Now that's a machine I would put a deposit on before the game is even available. You could collect the original band members similar to the wrestlers on WWF Royal Rumble. There could be one of their classic tracks like RockFort Rock or Guns of Navarone and each collected member's instrument gets added to the audio mix. Don Drummond would obviously be collected by smashing an insane asylum bash toy. Once you get all the members you go on tour similar to Al's Garage Band.

#36 4 years ago

Midget Pirate Multiball! Build up the Giant Robit Birdhead bonus! Something with Anti-Matter! Terribly unpopular theme by the sound of it, but Insta-buy! I imagine it’d look something like RAZA but better, damn now I gotta go dig through my old CD’s and find something to play them on

#37 4 years ago
    Quoted from Zavadoza:

Check out all the "A-List" celebrities that are supporters of the Aquabats!
    Seriously though, Jack Black could be key in influencing an Aquabats pin. He's an advocate of pinball and the band.

Love Weird Al, best Game to be made with Jack Black is Brutal Legend

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-aquabats-a-good-theme-for-pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.