• 92 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by illpoet
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

61BYCDXh4JL._AC_SL1500_ (resized).jpg
There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 4 years ago
Quoted from brucipher:

Here is a link to the YouTube video with the recommendations:

Awesome! This is exactly what I need. I'm going to watch this tonight. No way I am going to waste that $20 I paid for Virtual Desktop

#52 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballCharlie:

Awesome! This is exactly what I need. I'm going to watch this tonight. No way I am going to waste that $20 I paid for Virtual Desktop

Enjoy!

I also want to note if anyone watches my Twitch stream, the video quality is not the best due to my internet (not an accurate representation of what the video quality looks like in the Quest, which is great).

#53 4 years ago
Quoted from brucipher:

I believe the resolution on the Quest is the same as the Valve Index. The big differences is refresh rate and field of view. The Quest has been great for me, especially at the cost and other benefits.

I guess I was referencing more of the pimax/hp reverb sets. Quest is 1440 × 1600 per eye @ 72 Hz, Reverb is almost 2160 x 2160 @ 90 Hz. And, yeah, Index has the much higher refresh rate, which is super vital in vr. When I play in 60 Hz, I'm ready to throw up in 15 minutes.

#54 4 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

I guess I was referencing more of the pimax/hp reverb sets. Quest is 1440 × 1600 per eye @ 72 Hz, Reverb is almost 2160 x 2160 @ 90 Hz. And, yeah, Index has the much higher refresh rate, which is super vital in vr. When I play in 60 Hz, I'm ready to throw up in 15 minutes.

I guess I have my "VR legs" as they would call it. I play Alyx with free locomotion (and most other games for that matter) and don't feel sick, but I know it varies from person to person. I am in no way saying the Quest is the best, but I am happy with it.

#55 4 years ago
Quoted from brucipher:

I guess I have my "VR legs" as they would call it. I play Alyx with free locomotion (and most other games for that matter) and don't feel sick, but I know it varies from person to person. I am in no way saying the Quest is the best, but I am happy with it.

I've been playing more vr recently and I can tell my eyes are taking a toll. Anyone else get with fatigue? I can barely last more than 30 min.

As for that speed 800-900 Mbps and that's wireless? I've only seen that speed when wired. What is your plan and setup? I have FiOS gb speed with mesh setup via velop but my speeds wireless are 300 or less.

Edit just noticed you say you play right the router. That def helps but even if I bring my laptop wireless next to router in not getting 800mbps

#56 4 years ago

I would consider a VR cable management system if I had the play space.

https://windowsreport.com/best-vr-cable-management/

#57 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I've been playing more vr recently and I can tell my eyes are taking a toll. Anyone else get with fatigue? I can barely last more than 30 min.
As for that speed 800-900 Mbps and that's wireless? I've only seen that speed when wired. What is your plan and setup? I have FiOS gb speed with mesh setup via velop but my speeds wireless are 300 or less.
Edit just noticed you say you play right the router. That def helps but even if I bring my laptop wireless next to router in not getting 800mbps

Yeah, I usually can't play for more than an hour at a time, but I attribute it mostly to my contacts.

Right - I am not playing through the internet - my gaming PC is hard wired to my router, and then the Quest is connected to the 5GHz band on the router. I am also standing about 5-10 feet from my router when I play, so that helps (I noticed if I play from another room I get about 600Mbsp, which has still worked okay with just very occasional stutter). My router is an AC1900 - and the 5GHz band should in theory have data rates up to 1300Mbps per the router specs.

#58 3 years ago

1 month later
#59 3 years ago

Finally picked up an Oculus Quest, I gotta say this thing is amazing. So much more comfortable then the HTC VIVe and Index I had. It feels lighter, less forceful on the head, plus to me the PQ is more clear. Can't wait to try ALyx on it, so far playing that vader game, its awesome.

#60 3 years ago

Man that Vader game with the rancor , I was actually scared . Rancors are truly frightening !

#61 3 years ago

I have a quest and really want to play this game. The issue is that I don't have a computer that can run it and don't want to invest in a beefy computer when I have one that works well for me. It also doesn't make sense because my PC is upstairs and I play the quest in the basement where there is free space. I would love to play this game though!

#62 3 years ago
Quoted from per3per3:

I have a quest and really want to play this game. The issue is that I don't have a computer that can run it and don't want to invest in a beefy computer when I have one that works well for me. It also doesn't make sense because my PC is upstairs and I play the quest in the basement where there is free space. I would love to play this game though!

Yeah u need good P.C. and use the usb connector . It’s amazing

3 months later
#63 3 years ago

Well, I just ordered the HP Reverb G2 headset. Best image quality out there right now. Also going to build a high end PC for it. So Alyx is in the near future. Hope to get back into Elite Dangerous too.

#64 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

Well, I just ordered the HP Reverb G2 headset. Best image quality out there right now. Also going to build a high end PC for it. So Alyx is in the near future. Hope to get back into Elite Dangerous too.

Awesome! The HP Reverb G2 looks and sounds amazing from what I've been reading. I heard Flight Simulator 2020 is going to support it which will be sweet (been playing that as well).

I preordered an Oculus Quest 2 that should be arriving this week. I'm going to try playing Half Life Alyx on it using Oculus Link. Just finished building a new PC that should hopefully handle the game well.

#65 3 years ago

My quest 2 is coming this week I hope!

My PC is too weak to play Alys but my vr but is alive an well!

I am bummed how little psvr love the Sony is giving that platform given the PS5 launch. We were not expecting a new headset but were expecting some rad new games.

#66 3 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

I am bummed how little psvr love the Sony is giving that platform given the PS5 launch. We were not expecting a new headset but were expecting some rad new games.

Ya, I can't figure that one out. It was the biggest selling VR headset was it not?

#67 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

Ya, I can't figure that one out. It was the biggest selling VR headset was it not?

Yes. Quest 2 will probably catch it eventually.

And good PS4 be games have been steady recently. Star Wars squadrons with my PS4 Horse rocks so far. But I am only 2 missions in.

#68 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I heard Flight Simulator 2020 is going to support it which will be sweet (been playing that as well).

LOL!
I'm building my power house rig for MS 2020 Flight Sim. VR is a must for it IMO! The be all, end all flight sim for budding pilots it will be!

#69 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

LOL!
I'm building my power house rig for MS 2020 Flight Sim. VR is a must for it IMO! The be all, end all flight sim for budding pilots it will be!

Yes. That will be insane! Please post some impressions when you get that set up!

#70 3 years ago

It's not Half Live Alyx but here's the game I wrote for Oculus Rift (and Oculus Go):
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/3153824511313595/

#71 3 years ago
Quoted from sebgrinke:

It's not Half Live Alyx but here's the game I wrote for Oculus Rift (and Oculus Go):
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/3153824511313595/

Cool!
I reminds me when I was a kid in the 70's when all there was on TV was westerns. It looks fun!

#72 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Awesome! The HP Reverb G2 looks and sounds amazing from what I've been reading. I heard Flight Simulator 2020 is going to support it which will be sweet (been playing that as well).
I preordered an Oculus Quest 2 that should be arriving this week. I'm going to try playing Half Life Alyx on it using Oculus Link. Just finished building a new PC that should hopefully handle the game well.

If you have a 5Ghz router, you will be playing relatively close to the router, and your gaming PC is wired directly to the router, I recommend trying out Virtual Desktop. It allows you to play PC games on your Quest wirelessly. You have to buy the Virtual Desktop app through the Oculus store ($20 I believe) and then apply a patch through a PC program called Side Quest. Nothing about it is illegal.

I played Alyx via Virtual Desktop and it worked great! It is nice to play totally wire free.

I know the Virtual Desktop creator already has it up and running for Quest 2.

#73 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

LOL!

Awesome! That's cool. Flight Simulator has been a lot of fun and it looks amazing. I upgraded my entire PC a month ago but the video card (have a 1080) but will be putting a 3080 in when it arrives tomorrow.

Quoted from brucipher:

If you have a 5Ghz router, you will be playing relatively close to the router, and your gaming PC is wired directly to the router, I recommend trying out Virtual Desktop. It allows you to play PC games on your Quest wirelessly. You have to buy the Virtual Desktop app through the Oculus store ($20 I believe) and then apply a patch through a PC program called Side Quest. Nothing about it is illegal.
I played Alyx via Virtual Desktop and it worked great! It is nice to play totally wire free.
I know the Virtual Desktop creator already has it up and running for Quest 2.

That sounds great! I'll give that a try. Thanks for the tips.

#74 3 years ago

Playing Alyx on the Index is great. Played thru it the first time on an HTC headset and enjoyed it much more on the Index once it finally arrived.
Just got the new Star Wars Squadrons. Trying to figure out best controls for playing that.

#75 3 years ago

I am still only about 40% done but stopped playing it over summer, because, well outdoor summer stuff Can't wait to finish it this winter. I have the Quest II on preorder. I think the 72hz refresh rate on the OQ1 was really limiting how long I could play. Looking forward to goin back to 90hz on the OQ2.

#76 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballCharlie:

I am still only about 40% done but stopped playing it over summer, because, well outdoor summer stuff Can't wait to finish it this winter. I have the Quest II on preorder. I think the 72hz refresh rate on the OQ1 was really limiting how long I could play. Looking forward to goin back to 90hz on the OQ2.

That's awesome you ordered a Quest 2, I have one on the way as well. I've heard that with Virtual Desktop you can play Half Life Alyx wirelessly on the Quest without much, if any, sacrifice in quality. I think I'm going to try that as the room my PC is in doesn't have a lot of open room but if I could play PC VR titles wirelessly in the my basement where there's more room that would be perfect.

#77 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

That's awesome you ordered a Quest 2, I have one on the way as well. I've heard that with Virtual Desktop you can play Half Life Alyx wirelessly on the Quest without much, if any, sacrifice in quality. I think I'm going to try that as the room my PC is in doesn't have a lot of open room but if I could play PC VR titles wirelessly in the my basement where there's more room that would be perfect.

You just need to a have a strong connection to your 5Ghz Wi-Fi. I have thick walls in my house, and my connection isn't strong enough several rooms away for Virtual Desktop...I have to play in the room my router is located. I need to get a new router or a repeater.

Here is a pretty decent guide on how to set it all up:

https://uploadvr.com/how-to-play-pc-vr-oculus-quest-2

#78 3 years ago

Yes its much better with the Quest. I had a valve index, hurt my head so much and was so heavy. Quest is more user friendly. But I get scared with those crab things.

#79 3 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

I am in the same situation since my gaming laptop can't do VR but I do have the PSVR. I still haven't played Iron Man, that seemed to be the big VR game for this year from Sony. All I really need this year is Demon's Souls on the PS5 though. There were reports that there may be a performance boost with the original VR headset on PS5 at least.

I think there will be a new PS5 VR headset late next year. Hopefully Valve will release Alyx on it, they haven't ruled it out completely in statements when asked about a PSVR release.

#80 3 years ago

I found this video interesting. The HP Reverb G2 doesn't have wireless stand alone mode, but if you just hook to a PC and don't care, you should watch this video.The Oculus Link to PC actually causes less performance because of the codec required. If you have a less powerful PC, you may want to watch this video. He compares the frame rates of the various head sets.

#81 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

I found this video interesting. The HP Reverb G2 doesn't have wireless stand alone mode, but if you just hook to a PC and don't care, you should watch this video.The Oculus Link to PC actually causes less performance because of the codec required. If you have a less powerful PC, you may want to watch this video. He compares the frame rates of the various head sets.

G2 is definitely superior, but I like the Quest/Quest 2 for the hybrid nature (stand alone and PC VR). Plus, being able to play PC VR wireless is a big plus. If you are going to exclusively play PC VR, don't mind wires, and don't mind paying a a fair amount more, then definitely go for G2 or Valve Index.

#82 3 years ago
Quoted from brucipher:

G2 is definitely superior, but I like the Quest/Quest 2 for the hybrid nature (stand alone and PC VR).

Yup, I plan to use this for MS 2020 VR so the high res for instrument panels is a must for me. The headset and computer I'm building are going to cost around $2600.00 USD.

Ryzen 3700X OC'd, ASUS AM4 TUF GAMING X570-Plus ATX, 16 GB Ram, dual M.2 SSD, RTX 3080.

#83 3 years ago

just saw this thread so i thought i'd chime in. Half life alyx is so amazing. I've been into VR since the Oculus rift Dev Kit 2 and I'm happy that someone finally put out a VR game worthy of the genre. There have been other games that were good for sure but this is the first title that I'd consider "Must Play". I wasn't going to buy any new vr stuff but then alyx made me go ahead and pre order a reverb g2. It should be shipping soon!

I'd like to add that if you haven't done it yet, try out Half Life 2 in VR. You have to have strong VR legs because it does induce VR sickness pretty badly but if you can stomach it, it's amazing in VR! the game was ahead of its time and some of it's innovations (No cut scenes, large detailed maps) really work in vr.

anyway i see this as a perfect opportunity to plug my lets play series on youtube I've been doing on and off since 2015 where i play Half life games in VR!

if anyone needs help getting hl2 to run in vr hmu in dm i should be able to still figure out how to get it to run.

#84 3 years ago

"hmu in dm" = hit me up in direct messaging.
We call it PM.

#85 3 years ago

Resident Evil VII was the best all around VR experience for me so far, hope to be able to play Alyx sooner than later. Is it light years better than RE7, also is it more intense in terms of motion sickness than that game?

#86 3 years ago

This motion sickness concerns me. How bad is it with Alyx? My Rift didn't bother me too much unless it was a bad rated experience.

#87 3 years ago

I had played a bit of Alyx a while back but decided to wait until I got the index controllers and my god do they make a big difference in the experience for me. Just the way you interact with objects adds a ton of immersion. I haven't felt this lost in a VR world since the early days. Now I'm still not sure the Index controllers are a good value overall as I don't know how many games are really going to take advantage of them given their relatively small market presence. I kind of feel like I spent $300 dollars just to have one amazing gaming experience, but if I look at them as 1/3 of a topper I feel better about it.

I'm playing on an OG Vive wirelessly by the way and the game still looks fantastic despite the relatively low res of the OG Vive. I did get a Quest 2 so I'm going to test it out on virtual desktop -- I'm curious to see how that goes.

#88 3 years ago
#89 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

This motion sickness concerns me. How bad is it with Alyx? My Rift didn't bother me too much unless it was a bad rated experience.

I get a little sick with Oculus Quest 1 if I play for over 20 minutes. I don't get sick on my Oculus Rift CV1 - so I attribute the sickness to 72hz refresh rate on the OQ1. BUT - I don't get sick playing native Quest games so I am not entirely sure it is just the fault of the refresh rate. My PC can easily handle Alyx, so I am pretty sure I am not dipping below 72hz.

I actually just got the OQ2 shipped here a couple days ago (I totally forgot about the preorder, lol), but I am REALLY trying to wait until xmas before it comes out :O. Wish me luck.

#90 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

It's not bad at all if you use teleport to move around. I have a friend that gets bad vrsickness and she was just fine using teleport to get around. She couldn't do the locomotion style of movement at all though.

#91 3 years ago
Quoted from illpoet:

She couldn't do the locomotion style of movement at all though.

You mean like those roller pad gizmos you walk on?

#92 3 years ago

No I mean there's a way to travel where if you push the touch pad up it moves you forward like you are walking around.

There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-anyone-playing-half-life-alyx/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.