(Topic ID: 259412)

Is anyone other than RD gonna be remaking WPC PD boards?

By underlord

38 days ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 38 days ago by drummermike
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 38 days ago

I remember years ago Pinled jumped in. But board rebuilders won’t even touch Rottendog boards. Original WPC 91-94 boards are now either worn out junk, hacked, or unobtainium.

At $300 a pop buying a RD board just to throw it away later if something happens seems silly.

#2 38 days ago

I just finished the layout for the WPC-89 CPU (and security) board. I'm almost done with the WPC-95 AV board. The WPC-89 Power Driver board is probably the next on my list.

See my thread @ https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dumbass-test-and-reproduction-pcbs for more information (although I don't typically announce what I'm working on).

I've seen a PinLED board if I recall correctly. It's mostly surface mount. I also have a few Rottendog power driver boards in some of my machines and I want to replace them with original boards as well.

#3 38 days ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

I just finished the layout for the WPC-89 CPU (and security) board. I'm almost done with the WPC-95 AV board. The WPC-89 Power Driver board is probably the next on my list.
See my thread @ https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dumbass-test-and-reproduction-pcbs for more information (although I don't typically announce what I'm working on).
I've seen a PinLED board if I recall correctly. It's mostly surface mount. I also have a few Rottendog power driver boards in some of my machines and I want to replace them with original boards as well.

Just read your thread. Fantastic work! Would truly be refreshing for a fellow enthusiast to bring their passion to the production table on these boards.

#4 38 days ago

Would be great if X-Pin did WPC power driver boards

#5 38 days ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

What is the problem with the RD power driver boards if they are working fine right now?

I have a System 9 RD PD board I have to put in; the old one honestly looks like a fire hazard at this point (torched GI connector points). I am sure I could save it but I thought one that generates much less heat and is not 35 years old would be the way to go...

#6 38 days ago

My AFM and TAF RD boards have been both 100% since I installed them.

#7 38 days ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

What is the problem with the RD power driver boards if they are working fine right now?
I have a System 9 RD PD board I have to put in; the old one honestly looks like a fire hazard at this point (torched GI connector points). I am sure I could save it but I thought one that generates much less heat and is not 35 years old would be the way to go...

No idea. Some folks who do top notch board repairs won’t touch them. Visually they look ok. Maybe someone who knows RD boards better can chime in why.

My concern is if RD is considered junky, my pins deserve the best.

#8 38 days ago

We have had no issues and used them in TAF, HS2 and JD. Driver boards, and CPU boards. Only issue we had was our board guy had to replace a couple of chips that were not burnt properly. Boards have all been fine and are re still going.

I hope they start making Spike node boards. And CPU boards.

#9 38 days ago
Quoted from NPO:

My AFM and TAF RD boards have been both 100% since I installed them.

I have three RD with no issues.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 38.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside