3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by scott_freeman
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

LED_STern_display_-_bad_block_003_-_Copy_(resized).JPG
    20160229_101813_(resized).jpg
    20160229_101730_(resized).jpg

#1 3 years ago

I saw someone a couple of months ago who was willing to fix the newer LED stern displays. I sent a message but haven't gotten a response yet. I was wondering if anyone else was fixing them. I remember at the time he didn't get much interest. Probably because most of them were still under warranty. I picked up a game over the weekend and it has some of the lines staying on all the time.

20160229_101730_(resized).jpg

20160229_101813_(resized).jpg

#2 3 years ago

Problem with these are that they're all SMD parts, they're trickier to repair and can be easier to destroy during the process if you're not good with a hot air station. If I had the time, I'd take it on for you, I have a hot air reworking station. I'm sure I'm not the only one here that can do this kinda work.

#3 3 years ago

I would suggest you try to buy one from someone who has gone color DMD. I've picked up a couple for $100 each this way.

They can't be used on Williams/Bally or any other old school DMD without modifications so their usefullness is pretty limited in the general market.

#4 3 years ago

I have 2 games that on route being left on now have dmd's that need some work. I looked at the dmd repair threads a couple members have done, but idk if I have time to do them :/ Be nice if someone did!

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from thedefog:

Problem with these are that they're all SMD parts

The DMD Matrix cubes are not SMD and that is most likely where the problem is.

On the first pic, you can see that the left most, second down from the top is a bad cube - it has 1 led in the column that is not lit. That DMD has 3 bad cubes unfortunately.

#6 3 years ago

What year Stern games are you referring too?

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from ThreeAmigos:

I'm assuming the red LED DMD era.

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from ThreeAmigos:

Probably the Metallica era.

#9 3 years ago

There's a Stern Star Trek on these pictures, so I would suggest to buy a DIY repair kit from colordmd.com

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from T7:

The DMD Matrix cubes are not SMD and that is most likely where the problem is.
    On the first pic, you can see that the left most, second down from the top is a bad cube - it has 1 led in the column that is not lit. That DMD has 3 bad cubes unfortunately.

I'm not overly familiar with these, but that is good information to know for anyone with these types of issues that owns one that is isn't overly complicated to repair. Are these common cathode matrix cubes? Looks like replacements can be found for about $3-4 a piece if these are 8x8. Does anyone have the part number?

Regardless, if something is faulty component wise, it would need someone with experience in SMD stuff.

#11 3 years ago

I have two brand new Stern DMD's that came off my TWD Premium and MET Premium's that I changed out to ColorDMD immediately for. I can sell for $100 + shipping if you are interested.

#12 3 years ago

I appreciate the offers of buying a new display. I actually have a couple around to replace it with (hoarding for just this occasion..lol).

I saw this ad a few months back https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-stern-led-dmd-repairs

I sent a PM but it looks like he hasn't been on Pinside since Dec. Ad was saying $40-$50 for repair. I was thinking if I can fix it for that it would be worth it. If not, I'll put it up on Ebay & get another.

My wife says hoarding is bad, but in pinball it feels so good when you have extra parts when you need them...

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from Butch2099:

I appreciate the offers of buying a new display. I actually have a couple around to replace it with (hoarding for just this occasion..lol).
    I saw this ad a few months back https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-stern-led-dmd-repairs
    I sent a PM but it looks like he hasn't been on Pinside since Dec. Ad was saying $40-$50 for repair. I was thinking if I can fix it for that it would be worth it. If not, I'll put it up on Ebay & get another.
    My wife says hoarding is bad, but in pinball it feels so good when you have extra parts when you need them...

I'd hold onto it. Only a matter of time before someone start selling the matrix cubes here. If there is enough of a demand, maybe someone like Brakandl will.

#14 3 years ago

if i can get a specific part numbers I will check with my china connection for a deal next time i buy a load of components.

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

if i can get a specific part numbers I will check with my china connection for a deal next time i buy a load of components.

Thanks! I'm sure this won't be an isolated thing..

3 weeks later
    #16 3 years ago

I just picked this one up from a nice pinsider.

should have it fixed soon (it appears to be one blocked)

LED_STern_display_-_bad_block_003_-_Copy_(resized).JPG

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 19.99
    $ 199.99
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 15.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Siegecraft Electronics
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 6.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 76.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 44.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 29.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    ArcadeMade
    $ 128.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 96.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 13.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 49.99
    Lighting - Led
    Comet Pinball
    $ 239.00
    $ 30.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 59.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 2.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside