(Topic ID: 144126)

Is anyone else having Shoulder and elbow issues from playing Pins?

By crwjumper

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 31 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by CrazyLevi
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

23 years of flying parachutes and 25 years of martial arts may have started these issues but manhandling my pins is rapidly accelerating my shoulder and elbow joint issues! Anyone else experiencing these issues?

#2 3 years ago

I've been hauling and playing pins nonstop for 5 years and haven't noticed any detrimental effects physically. I go to the gym often, though.

Your previous hobbies are likely catching up with you (I've heard martial arts can do a number on you over time) and holding your arms stiff in a position to reach the flippers for long periods probably isn't helping your cause.

#3 3 years ago

Wow, you must really be rough with your machines!

So far, I've been pretty pain-free with my pin hobby. Moving a lot of machines in one day will get to me, though...that's for sure.

Pete

#4 3 years ago

I'm 56 B.T.W. That may have something to do with it as well I guess.

#5 3 years ago

haha... yes. My left elbow is hurting, and I've only been playing for a couple years. I go to the gym... yeah, I don't go to the gym. I live a desk sitting commuter's life. That sedentary lifestyle is no good for anyone. I'm not overweight, but I've got plenty of back/neck/shoulder issues from sitting at a computer all day.

#6 3 years ago

I get sore arms after a couple hours of serious play, but nothing destroying my overall health outside of those few hours.

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from aobrien5:

haha... yes. My left elbow is hurting, and I've only been playing for a couple years. I go to the gym... yeah, I don't go to the gym. I live a desk sitting commuter's life. That sedentary lifestyle is no good for anyone. I'm not overweight, but I've got plenty of back/neck/shoulder issues from sitting at a computer all day.

My left elbow starts to burn after playing for a short while (especially if the ball is trying to drain into the left outlane alot).

#8 3 years ago

I think elbow's and wrists. But I'm 6'4". I think I might lean more than most to play, and put extra strain on those bits.

#9 3 years ago

Not from pinball. Fell of my son's skateboard. Don't try that at 52

#10 3 years ago

My left wrist started hurting me really badly the other night during league play. I had been playing a lot more pinball than usual, though. One of my problems is that I tend to lean on my wrists while I'm playing. I need to learn to "float like a butterfly and sting like a bee".

#11 3 years ago

Have you tried raising your pin till max hight level so your arms and wrists are in an diffrent angle?

#12 3 years ago

I get tendonitis after playing for a long period of time. It is a byproduct of tons of time in the gym combined with pinball. If your elbow is sore you can get a therapy bar and do a few stretches with it and it basically wipes out my tendonitis for awhile.

I call the sore elbow my pinjury.

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from crwjumper:

23 years of flying parachutes and 25 years of martial arts may have started these issues but manhandling my pins is rapidly accelerating my shoulder and elbow joint issues! Anyone else experiencing these issues?

I finally listened to my doctor and stopped being a good Uke. But yes after this long it means the damage is done. Pinball or any thing we do will just show the damage.
    At this point I figure just do what we like and deal with some soreness.

#14 3 years ago

Nope. 35 pain free years of playing pinball. I also don't nudge machines very aggressively.

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from Hwawonyu:

I finally listened to my doctor and stopped being a good Uke. But yes after this long it means the damage is done. Pinball or any thing we do will just show the damage.
    At this point I figure just do what we like and deal with some soreness.

Judo?

#16 3 years ago

A bit but my style is Hapkido. The kids are in Judo until older.

#17 3 years ago

When I was in my late teens and playing in arcades my left wrist used to (collapse)leaving me in to much pain to continue playing.Nearly every day I would have to leave credits on the pin I was playing.But since owning my own machines for the past 16 years I have not had this problem.So maybe it was not the pinball that was the cause of my problem back then but another activity that I used to do a lot of back then that used a lot of wrist action,yes I am left handed!

#18 3 years ago

I only get pain in the wrists if I lean on the machine while playing. Which is easy to do somehow as a tall player. Forcing myself to bend my legs a bit with a slightly wider stance helps that, as well as sets me up to do the nudging I need.

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from king-pin:

When I was in my late teens and playing in arcades my left wrist used to (collapse)leaving me in to much pain to continue playing.Nearly every day I would have to leave credits on the pin I was playing.But since owning my own machines for the past 16 years I have not had this problem.So maybe it was not the pinball that was the cause of my problem back then but another activity that I used to do a lot of back then that used a lot of wrist action,yes I am left handed!

#20 3 years ago

The trick is.....to sit on your hand until it goes numb. Then it feels like someone else is "doing the work"...

#21 3 years ago

When I first got JM I played the hell out of it with virtually no tilt bob, so there was A LOT of nudging going on. It definitely made my wrists and elbows sore and I had to lay off for awhile. Seems like it was the hard nudging and not the flippering though.

#22 3 years ago

Yes. I have had left elbow pain after playing pins. I figured out that I was leaning to the left a little and putting too much pressure on the palm of my left hand while playing. Make sure to have a good even stance when playing. Don't lean to far forward which means don't stand too far from the pin. I made these adjustments and I have been playing pain free for the last month.

#23 3 years ago
    Quoted from indypinhead:

The trick is.....to sit on your hand until it goes numb. Then it feels like someone else is "doing the work"...

To complete the deception paint your nails,then it looks like someone else is "doing the work"too!

#24 3 years ago

I'm fine except for some finger joint pain every once in a while. It's just old age though.

#25 3 years ago
    Quoted from Hwawonyu:

A bit but my style is Hapkido. The kids are in Judo until older.

No kidding. I've 2 years in Judo and 16 in Hapkido. Top Matial Arts in Clearwater Fl. I'm testing for my 4th Dan next month. Small world!

#26 3 years ago

Holy cow! Congrats, early but we know your testing because it's time .
    And we both know why your joints hurt ; )
    Great to meet another twister!
    3rd Dan
    Kyung Mu Kwon , Korea Hapkido Federation
    Dave
    Hapki!

#27 3 years ago

I get some pretty serious pain in my right wrist. Guessing its a carpal tunnel issue. Thankfully seems to clear after a day or so.

I wonder if a wrist splint would help keep me from pinching.

#28 3 years ago

I hate to whine about age-related ailments, but since you asked...

I was in first place of our local league for most of this year, but a few months ago the soreness in my left shoulder, partly brought on by hard nudging pins (my own), had gotten to the point where it hurt to even just flip, and my scores the last couple league nights took a huge hit as a result, to the point where I ended the year in third place.

Not bad for a 54 year old playing mostly young whippersnappers, 3rd place two years running, but dang!

Weird how just moving my middle finger caused pain all the way up my arm. Between the pain, the fear of making it worse with every nudge, and plain old resting it (i.e. not practicing much), I just lost my groove. But it's getting better. Look out next year!

#29 3 years ago
    Quoted from crwjumper:

I'm 56 B.T.W. That may have something to do with it as well I guess.

Someone once told me that being young is about partying hard or painting all day and as a result waking up feeling bad/sore the next day. Being old is about waking up feeling bad/sore for no apparent reason.

Not sure which one applies to you.

#30 3 years ago
    Quoted from nosro:

Someone once told me that being young is about partying hard or painting all day and as a result waking up feeling bad/sore the next day. Being old is about waking up feeling bad/sore for no apparent reason.
    Not sure which one applies to you.

They both do. Not so much hard partying but living life to the fullest with adrenaline sports and such. It catches up with you. I never thought that pinball would bring out the shoulder and elbow pain that I had fixed through many many months of physical therapy. Sigh.

#31 3 years ago

I messed up my right shoulder - bad - a month ago in a league match on a walking dead with no tillt. It wasn't even during a game - i WON the game - beating a guy who was has poor flipper skills but was throwing the machine around all night - and when I came back to beat him I kind of tried to "victory tilt" by wrenching the game left and right until lo and behold it actually tilted.

Borderline retarded, yes. The next day I woke up and my right shoulder was in horrible pain. So bad that I was wondering if I did any serious damage. It lasted a week - so bad that if we had a league match the following week (we didn't it was a bye) I wouldn't have been able to play. Took almost a month to fully recover.

So yeah I won't be doing anything that stupid again. I'm not 35 anymore!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 39.95
    Playfield - Protection
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 495.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    MI Pinball Refinery
    $ 99.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 64.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 35.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    3D MODS
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 27.99
    $ 106.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 14.95
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 24.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Art Prints
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 41.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 49.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 44.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside