(Topic ID: 239543)

Is anyone else experiencing NIB fatigue?

By 27dnast

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 138 posts
  • 85 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Rick432
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tumblr_lp2epd7QrL1qbhtrto1_500.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pomc.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#62 5 years ago

My only fatigue comes from reading all about the new releases; issues people have; code updates, etc. I'm never going to be a NIB buyer because I prefer buying used. But I keep up with all the threads so I'm generally aware of each game if the times comes to buy. I tend to stay a few years behind each release because I certainly know a game is not finished for years in some instances. For example, I recently bought an HUO Star Trek pro and there's a huge club thread as a resource for any known issues and the code is complete.

I'm fortunate to have a huge back catalog of pins I've never played or hardly played, so I never will need to go NIB for a pinball thrill. Like everyone else, I've noticed the features/toys that have been stripped out compared to earlier pins. I mean, really, most new Stern pins just don't have the cool toys, ball tricks and fun mechs on games like Shadow, Baywatch and Big Hurt in my lineup. You can't play a theme, you play the game.

I am also lucky that I don't get sucked into the hype and frenzy on Pinside surrounding each new release. It's real easy to want to keep up with everyone playing the newest games and want to be involved in the discussion as an owner. It's especially easy having the disposable cash to do so and be one of those guys buying NIB, then trading or selling it a few weeks later, always chasing another pin. But I choose not to, tempting as it may be. Just doesn't make any sense to me.

#81 5 years ago

I always play two player games on my pins because I find it a little boring just playing alone. Sometimes I print a tournament sheet and hold a tournament against myself to see who wins....it's not always me either, because every entrant is unique and has their own style of play.

Anyway, last night on my $1100 Big Hurt, I had an awesome pinball experience that I don't know if a $5000+ NIB pin could surpass.

I was player two, losing 31-0 and now on ball 3 (I don't use scores on Big Hurt, I use the run count). I came all the way back, scoring 30 runs on ball 3 and then draining on an awesome catch by Frank Thomas, who threw me out at the plate, straight down the middle.

I lost 31-30 and I could not stop laughing at what a blast that game was, even losing by a run was so damn exciting! I think I was laughing for a few minutes because how amped I was from the game. I told myself, let's comeback and win this, and came so close! That much fun on a 25 year old Gottlieb LOL

My wife asks when Big Hurt is going to be sold. I tell her never, because where can I get that much pinball bang for the buck? Our new to us, Star Trek Pro, comes close with the movie soundtrack installed. The music really pulls me into the game. But, a transistor blew a week ago, taking out a row of switches. Fun paying $4600 for a pin, play it a week and then have it fail the night before we host our local league. Luckily Maverick was also a surprise hit, everyone thought it was great.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pomc.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-anyone-else-experiencing-nib-fatigue?tu=pomc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.