(Topic ID: 239543)

Is anyone else experiencing NIB fatigue?

By 27dnast

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 138 posts
  • 85 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Rick432
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tumblr_lp2epd7QrL1qbhtrto1_500.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider 27dnast.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

Just some thoughts... not blanket statements. Of course, reserve the right to change my mind. But curious to see if others in the collecting community have been thinking this.

Recently (over the last year... to year-plus), I've found myself having a rather robust shutdown when it comes to NIB games and game releases. It's not that I'm not interested in the new games, because I am, but I've definitely felt the spark of excitement of new game announcements rapidly diminish. That desire to buy them has been flickering quite a bit. TNA bucked that trend for me, so I'm not 100% shutdown. But in general, it's held true.

There was a period.. back around Stern's Star Trek / Walking Dead announcement time frame where NIB games really carried a ton of intrigue for me. The hobby really hadn't exploded then. Pricing was right on target... and the arrival of NIB games wasn't quite as prolific as its become. Since that time, I think several factors have really tamed my interest in rushing out to buy NIB:

1) Price increases. There's something about the huge leaps in prices (coinciding with a drop in manufacturing quality... and added cheapness for Stern) aren't sitting well with me. Especially knowing what I paid NIB just a few short years ago. And then you hear tid-bits (like Borg saying he wanted four drops instead of one giant target on Munsters)... and I'm left scratching my head. Something's not adding up and feeling right in the price dept.

2) Location play. 4 years ago, if I wanted to experience a new game, it pretty much had to be bought. Now, there multiple local locations reasonably close to my home that have new games pretty much right away. I can scratch the itch and experience new with a car ride and a 5 spot in my pocket.

3)Collectability. This is a big one for me... I don't think most modern releases are collectable. LE or not. I'm not a fan of the "Franklin Mint coin" faked collectability model... or manufacturer controlled rarity. I really grapple with this... but in general, I like collectability/rarity that's crafted by time and/or other circumstances. And while I like to buy games for their fun factor, I'm not interested in paying a premium for suggested collectibility.

4) Used market. Super tempting to let someone else take the hit on NIB and work out issues with the game.

5) Modern board design. Makes me nervous. Looking at you Spike. There's a ton of unknowns with these designs... which makes me concerned, especially if the market (and parts market) has a downturn a few years down the road.

Kind of where my head is at. Could be subject to change. Anyone else in this boat?

#3 5 years ago

Of course, that's fairly obvious. Not really what I was getting at.

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from pcprogrammer:

Everything you've said I agree with. This is what has caused me to only own one pin now and consider giving up the hobby entirely. I was thinking of getting another game recently, but changed my mind. The one thing you left off your list is how quickly pins get boring. So in our house, my kids played WOZ like crazy for about 2 weeks, then they pretty much gave up with it. I played it for a few months, then stopped turning it on at all. This has been the story with every pin we've had. It wouldn't be so bad except the prices are so high on them it just makes me want to sell them vs letting them sit and not get played. There are still a few pins I am pursuing, but for the most part 99% of everything I have no interest in anymore. Black Knight is the first Stern in a long time that has me excited, the price is just a bit too steep for a Premium though.

I left that off my list because that’s not a factor for me

I really don’t get bored of the games. I play them in waves, but the game of pinball (for me) is really fun. Even simple games like BSD keep me coming back over and over again.

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from RVApinballer:

I think your first post hit it spot on. Location play has been key for me. I collect the games I can't play/find(especially in good shape) on location.
    I enjoy playing pretty much every modern release especially IMDN, Deadpool, Guardians etc however we're lucky enough to have multiple copies of each around town. I play those games more than my home games honestly for the variety and atmosphere.
    Finally yes you're totally right about pricing. Black Knight is the first game in a while I am really interesting in buying. However for ~$5500 for a pro I feel like I'm downgrading doing an even'ish trade for a robust game like TSPP or Spider-Man from my collection. Pricing has gotten prohibitive value-wise for me.

I get that. And agree, the BKSR definitely has some hook and intrigue to it.

So, what you're saying is what I'm getting at (price wise). $5500K for a NIB pro. Just a few years ago, I paid $6,200 for a NIB Premium and the distributor threw in some extras like mirror blades. I know this going down a totally different conversation thread, but I'm having a really hard time reconciling the massive shift in price. Especially when you look at the build quality of Stern today versus just 3 or 4 years ago.

Obviously, people pay it, so the companies keep searching for the edge where the consumer won't pay it. But, at some level you have to wonder if companies are introducing some level of distrust by this strategy. It definitely doesn't feel like balance is there.

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from spinal:

Is this true? Did Borg really want 4 drops?

I was told he said that at TPF. Also that he wanted the arms on big guy to move. Perhaps someone can clarify. But, yes, he said that the original design had 4 stand up targets, but it was a cost cut to make it one single target.

You pay, 9k for a game that has that kind of relatively inexpensive feature removed as a cost cut? I don’t get it. At that price level, you’d think they’d make it available.

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from SDTMinSTL:

Great conversation and good points. I feel like some of the points you bring up have been allowed to happen so easily because of pinball's popularity and surge of new money. I also feel that it is not sustainable. When the Johnny-Come-Latelys and whim driven obsessive types start heading for the door, reality may start to creep in on some of these manufacturers. I am still in for now, but my patience is wearing thin. The sales tax thing isn't gonna help these price increases. You would think that there is a breaking point for what the market will allow. I feel we are closing on it, fast.
    BTW, I loved the Franklin Mint Coin manufactured rarity metaphor. That is classic.

Btw - your podcast is fantastic!!!

#57 5 years ago
    Quoted from thedarkknight77:

I was fatigued, but after seeing Black Knight, I am back! If I am going to keep a game for several years, I have no problem buying NIB, especially at the pro level. Games that I want to own, but are not a keeper, I would rather buy HUO. That being said, NIB prices are getting to be too much for me and I just cannot justify the price.

So, are you in on BK? Or are you out because of price?

#63 5 years ago

Well said.

I’ve purchased 4 pins NIB... it’s definitely an experience. But I don’t pigeon hole it as a necessity. And it comes with a trap that bothers me, which is wanting to keep the game Mint to maintain value.

That trap is nearly polar opposite of what I value in routed games that I collect, which is get them clean and playing snappy, but enjoy all the warts and bumps and bruises that they’ve acquired throughout their unique lives. I like the patina factor.

#72 5 years ago
    Quoted from taz:

I think its great having so many new games come out. That shows that the industry is doing well, at least for the time being. It also provides more choices and greater theme variety. I've been more focused on remakes of the classics my last few purchases, because I missed out on the 90s era of pinball.

+1 to all of this!

#79 5 years ago
    Quoted from Dkjimbo: It is almost an exact mirror to the housing crisis of 10 years ago but in the form of an Non-essential toy. That’s why it’s fatuiging

This is kind of a different topic, all together. But I'm not so convinced there's a bubble building. It sure seems like the home buying base is only a fraction of what it ultimately will become.

#82 5 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

My wife asks when Big Hurt is going to be sold. I tell her never

Never say never

1 week later
    #84 5 years ago

Have to admit, I had a mild "fatigue pause" after hearing Kaneada's Wonka hype train podcast.

But, after watching some reveal video, I'm 100% fine waiting to play the game on location or at a friends house.

#104 5 years ago

$12.5k plus tax/shipping for a pinball machine.

Wow

Interesting to read everyone’s takes.... just for clarification, I never meant to suggest pinball fatigue. Just talking about the NIB phenomena.

I keep hoping Deep Root will be the fly in the ointment that causes prices to reverse and fall. Not holding out too much hope tho

#123 5 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

The new Stern pros (and most games) have color display. I always put $410 color DMD in my pins (great mod) so that every last one of them IM Vault, Met pro, TWD pro, Tron pro while they did cost $4600-4700 the real cost of NIB plus Color DMD was $5K-5100 fairly close to the new Stern pro cost (which may now have play field supports and LEDs which many people added to the 5-7 year old pins). Not saying LEDs cost any more than incandescent but when you need to put 100 bulbs in a machine vs one that comes with full LEDs the price is not much difference.
    However, I have not found a Spike game that made me want to buy it (not even Maiden) and my last Stern were SAM (ST and TWD).

Focus purely on pricing is a tad off topic, but It’s really difficult to do a 1-to-1 comparison of manufacturing costs for modern sterns vs 90s pins... and where assembly processes and modern technologies are more or less expensive overall.

There was a Roger Sharpe interview at some point in the last year, where he indicated he thought pricing seemed out of line (high)... and Kaneda’s guest definitely spilled some beans on cost to make a game that made Premium and LE pricing look super out of line.

While I agree that inflation directly says a newly assembled monster bash lands around 6K (and from what I can tell, CGC really puts quality in their games), you can’t say the same for Stern games which have been stripped down in material... or these ridiculous prices on LEs and CEs and whatever else company’s are pumping as collectors games. Look at these Wonka prices... $12.5k for a “CE”... LE’s at 9.5k... add tax and shipping, and the dollar amount is high. You’re looking at an LE brought to your door for $10.5+. Look at a game like TZ or WH20... or any other mech-heavy title. Those are LE equivalent. Not Game of Thrones Pro.

All that said, these company’s are charging what - apparently - the market is paying. So, who am I to say they’re off. But I’m not so convinced their attack will ultimately play out to be a smart one.

Of course, prices keep going up. So the saturation / no go limit obviously hasn’t been met. Maybe... maybe... some day I’d fork over that sum of cash. But I’m not there at the moment. Hell, maybe some day these prices will look cheap!

#126 5 years ago
    Quoted from Black_Knight:

This is the only influence in current Pin pricing. Manufacturing costs have absolutely nothing to do with the current sales pricing structures.
    Manufacturing costs set floor price. If you can't sell them for that, you stop making them.
    Sales price is determined by demand. NIB hype is an indicator of growing interest in the hobby. As long as that interest continues to grow, prices will rise until they reach that saturation point.

Totally agree... and pricing of old was taking into consideration a buying base comprised nearly 100% of OPs using the machines to make cash in public locations. Apples to oranges.

Look no further than the price increases over the last 3-4 years, which clearly outpace inflation track.

#129 5 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

exactly this, I sold everything last year and do not miss a single one. I occasionally think about getting one game to rotate in and out, but lose interest pretty quick. The entire scene is overpriced and full of empty promises by Manufacturers and vendors.

That’s too bad. Sounds like playing turned out not to be your thing!

#132 5 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

I am seeing this more and more and from people that thought I was full of shit years ago. Im sure everyone burns out after a while as it seems every pinhead goes into full batshit crazy mode after their first one and then burns out like a meteor down the road. Now that prices are so high and quality so low and all the games coming out are the same shit different theme Im sure burnout happens faster.

Balance, brother. It’s important

#134 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

As for new games....no interest whatsoever....other than Lebowski.

There's always one, right?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider 27dnast.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-anyone-else-experiencing-nib-fatigue?tu=27dnast and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.