Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by greatwichjohn
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

I ordered a piece of tempered playfield glass from a local store for my T2... $42. Would this be the same type of glass that I'd get from a pinball parts place or show? Thanks

#2 4 years ago

Nothing matters but the dimensions.

#3 4 years ago

Damn, I just did the same yesterday and it was $69. Maybe I'll shop around next time.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from scampcamp:

I ordered a piece of tempered playfield glass from a local store for my T2... $42. Would this be the same type of glass that I'd get from a pinball parts place or show? Thanks

Yes, tempered is tempered. Much more durable than plate glass and will break into tiny fragments with rounded edges vs. large jagged pieces.

#5 4 years ago

Make sure they are beveling/polishing the edges - ive ran across cheap replacements that didn't have this and the edges were dangerously sharp!

#6 4 years ago

I like to see an etched seal in a corner of the glass to feel confident that it is tempered. I've also seen a couple of small indentations on one end of the glass that I presume is from a clamp holding it in the oven.

#7 4 years ago

It's all the same. My local glass place will make them for me for around $50.

#8 4 years ago

Just remember to specify "No Bug" so they don't etch that stupid tempered logo in the corner.

Then, when it arrives WITH the bug in the corner (50/50 chance), you get it for 1/2 price.

#9 4 years ago

I got regular tempered glass for 50$ taxes in here in Canada which is cheap imo. Just call a few local glass shop to get the best deal.

The original glass was scratched as hell so it's like day and night. No need to spend more for fancy glass imo again.

No need to have edge beveled on tempered glass, it's only for aesthetic cause the edge won't be sharp anyway because of the tempering process. That would add another 30$ or so.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Just remember to specify "No Bug" so they don't etch that stupid tempered logo in the corner

I was able to do this in the past, but more recently I was told that it's now illegal. Hmmm... Sounded fishy to me.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from Plumonium:

I got regular tempered glass for 50$ taxes in here in Canada which is cheap imo. Just call a few local glass shop to get the best deal.
The original glass was scratched as hell so it's like day and night. No need to spend more for fancy glass imo again.
No need to have edge beveled on tempered glass, it's only for aesthetic cause the edge won't be sharp anyway because of the tempering process. That would add another 30$ or so.

I shed plenty of blood from the sides of tempered pinball glass. You have to be able to handle the glass by the lower joints of your fingers so that you don't leave your finger prints under the glass.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from altan:

I was able to do this in the past, but more recently I was told that it's now illegal. Hmmm... Sounded fishy to me.

Just ordered a custom piece of 1/4" tempered last week. Had the choice of bug (no extra charge) or no bug.

#13 4 years ago

Is 1/4" thick glass fits the same as standard 3/16?

When I bought my new glass last week, they said they had "ultra clear" (less green, more white) glass but was only available in 1/4"

It fits in regular side rails?

#14 4 years ago

If you can get,choose always the "White" glass,it's just about 10% more expensive .Normaly you can get the tempered stamp also on the edge!Then it's invisible, just ask for that...
Regards Fred

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from Plumonium:

When I bought my new glass last week, they said they had "ultra clear" (less green, more white) glass but was only available in 1/4"

All pinball glass is 3/16" thick as far as I know. It probably WILL NOT FIT!

#16 4 years ago

For us using metric units ( glass in Canada is sold using metric metrics for the
thickness) 3/16 is 5 mm and I guess 1/4 is 6 mm. So basically a very small difference I guess.

1 mm = 0.0393701 inch. Not much

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from Plumonium:

Call the Playdium Store: http://www.theplaydiumstore.com/ They don't show pinball glass on their website, maybe because it's a pain in the ass to ship. BTW I've only been to Montreal once & I was waiting for a connection at the airport (Canadian beer is very strong).

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from Plumonium:

For us using metric units ( glass in Canada is sold using metric metrics for then
thickness) 3/16 is 5 mm and I guess 1/4 is 6 mm. So basically a very small difference I guess

If it 's too thick to fit in, you're going to struggle!

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from Straight_Shooter:

All pinball glass is 3/16" thick as far as I know. It probably WILL NOT FIT!

Did you order your glass from the non metric USA?

Quoted from Plumonium:

For us using metric units ( glass in Canada is sold using metric metrics for then
thickness) 3/16 is 5 mm and I guess 1/4 is 6 mm. So basically a very small difference I guess.
1 mm = 0.0393701 inch. Not much

Did you get your glass yet & does it fit?

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from Straight_Shooter:

You have to be able to handle the glass by the lower joints of your fingers so that you don't leave your finger prints under the glass.

That's why I wear rubber coated knit gloves....and the glass will never slip and cut you.

#21 4 years ago

Technically there are differences. Old furnaces used tongs to hold the glass, that is why some suppliers will have clamp marks on them. Modern furnaces use a conveyor system to prevent that. As well better suppliers will supply a flat product with minimal waves in the glass. Trust me there are massive difference s on the finished product between suppliers.

If you are worried of spontaneous explosions of the glass get it heat soaked. This process should filter out any faulty pieces.

#22 4 years ago

Hey straight shooter, yes I got my glass yet, it was 5 mm and fits perfectly, which is a little more than 3/16. I'm still wondering about 6 mm.

#23 4 years ago

3/16" is 5 mm for tempered glass. No Logo is what you request in Canada, if you don't want the manufacturers stamp on the tempered glass. Here is the manufacturer where I buy it in quantities for free crating or wooden cribs, & free delivery to the driveway or lawn. http://www.prelco.ca/en/home/

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Just remember to specify "No Bug" so they don't etch that stupid tempered logo in the corner.
Then, when it arrives WITH the bug in the corner (50/50 chance), you get it for 1/2 price.

Maestro Vid1900:

Please explain to us pinball √ľntermenschen what "No Bug" implies.

#25 4 years ago

I believe what Vid1900 is suggesting is; the "Bug" logo is a etched marking about the size of a coin in the corner of the glass. This logo visually implies the glass is tempered.

He's suggesting "if" you request the tempered glass with no "Bug" (logo), and it arrives with the Bug (logo), you may be able to negotiate the price down, maybe half (50/50 chance).

#26 4 years ago

Right.

The "bug" is an etched logo in the corner of the glass that:

1. Shows the building inspector that the glass is tempered.

2. Advertises the company that did the tempering.

Pinheads need neither of the above, so always ask for "no bug" when ordering tempered glass.

About 1/2 the time, the glass arrives with The Bug etched in, even though you explicitly stated that you did not want it.

Because the glass is worthless to the shop (it can't be cut for any other purpose), the shop will offer it for 50% off - just to get rid of it.

#27 4 years ago

Or in my case they take it back, & resell it, or destroy it. In Canada the info includes date of production & standard codes also I believe.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside