Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2012-05-14_11.03.42.jpg
2012-03-01_18.32.17.jpg
2012-03-04_20.38.03.jpg
2012-05-04_21.12.37.jpg
#1 11 years ago

I am hearing great things about ACDC premium and LE. But I can't go that route, so would like to hear if a pro is any good. Thanks for the opinions....

#2 11 years ago

A mod for the bell would make it almost good enough. Drop targets are great, but the real meat and potatoes are in that bell.

#3 11 years ago

Haven't played the other versions, but I did get to play the pro yesterday and thought it was really fun. If I had the cash to get a NIB pin, I am sure this would be it.

#4 11 years ago

IMO, the Pro version falls short, not even in the same ballpark of the Premium/LE. The bell is huge, the drop targets are huge, the mini playfield is huge, the ramp to feed the cannon is huge and hopefully the color changing LEDs are going to be very huge.

I would wait and try and pick up a HUO Premium.

#5 11 years ago

I say go for it. Went to a party and played the LE and loved it! so did another of my friends enough to buy the pro the very next day. Well he ended up getting it last week and it is awesome as well. The biggest problem is if you dont like the big face there in the middle. The lower playfield i dont like at all. The bell is nice but worth 2k+ more? i def dont think so. Add the shaker to the pro, very easy to install. If i could convince myself to buy a NIB pin that would def be the one right now.

Jason

#6 11 years ago

Jason hit it....I do not even NOTICE the face,while TRYING to watch the ball!
added shaker,sub on the way

#7 11 years ago

I heard the lower pf slows things and really is meh. I also hear lots of mods are in the works for this game...a lot. And if the bell gets modded up, that would be awesome. Can you find one near you to try?

#8 11 years ago

From a playablity point of view, I enjoy the Pro much more than the Premium.

IMHO, the divertor hurts the gameplay and flow of the game, since it sends the ball to the canon alot more than the Pro does. If I am not ready to fire my canon, I now have to avoid both ramps. Ugh.

Suprisingly, I don't like the drop targets on the left bank either. Hitting the targets deadens the ball and sometimes the ball just dies and goes to the left outlane -- something I saw repeatively at Pinburgh. I like the "action" hitting the standups give, that rush feeling to get back into control.

The bell -- and awesome toy -- should have been on the pro model.

Since I value playablity over asthetics, I would do the pro because that extra ~1500 could get me another game to play!

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I heard the lower pf slows things and really is meh.

Not true! The Hell pf is getting to be a fun spot to try and rack up the jackpot. It is pretty addicting if you ask me .

Jim

#10 11 years ago

My struggle has been do I buy ac/dc premium or a package deal for taf and cftbl. I also kind of want to wait maybe a couple of more weeks and see what is the next stern. Then I might even have a harder decision if I like that pin too.

#11 11 years ago

I played the AC DC Pro and Premium versions at Allentown.

Disclaimer - i have a Premium on order.

I had a BLAST with the Pro model. Pro is good (dare i say great), i actually like the Angus face - its classic in your face AC DC - he makes the band, i like the sneer. The game is fast and fun.

Still i am getting a Premium. Toys, toys, toys. I mean, for 1600 or so more, you are getting: Color changing LED gi (well done, it has to be seen), molded train, quality red trim, swinging bell (i love that thing), animated band in the corner of the PF, metal playfield slides and real lock down bar, 12 inch subwoofer, flame tunnel with LEDs, diverter ramp, lower PF game, better backglass (imo). Its a no brainer that the toy package alone makes it worth it for the extra dough.

Not trying to convince you here - i still had a blast with the pro. The game plays great toys or no toys.

#12 11 years ago

I have both. Read my threads. Both are great for the price. Pro is faster so its my personal pref. for game play. Premium is just gorgeous. Im selling one but cant decide.

2012-05-04_21.12.37.jpg2012-05-04_21.12.37.jpg 2012-03-04_20.38.03.jpg2012-03-04_20.38.03.jpg 2012-03-01_18.32.17.jpg2012-03-01_18.32.17.jpg

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

northvibe said:I heard the lower pf slows things and really is meh.
Not true! The Hell pf is getting to be a fun spot to try and rack up the jackpot. It is pretty addicting if you ask me .
Jim

I have yet to play, so ya only going on what someone else's opinion was. I still want to play one badly.

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from Bigpin:

Still i am getting a Premium. Toys, toys, toys

How did you feel the AC/DC prem is to the TRON pro.....

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

IMO, the Pro version falls short, not even in the same ballpark of the Premium/LE. The bell is huge, the drop targets are huge, the mini playfield is huge, the ramp to feed the cannon is huge and hopefully the color changing LEDs are going to be very huge.

I was wondering about your last comment about the color changing LEDs. Does this game actually have color changing bulbs in it? From what I noticed the bulbs don't change color...there are just red, green and blue bulbs that go on and off at different times.

That has me wondering....is it even possable to have a controllable color changing bulb? I've never seen or heard of one.

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

jalpert said:

I was wondering about your last comment about the color changing LEDs. Does this game actually have color changing bulbs in it? From what I noticed the bulbs don't change color...there are just red, green and blue bulbs that go on and off at different times.
That has me wondering....is it even possable to have a controllable color changing bulb? I've never seen or heard of one.

There are color changing LEDs under 16 PF inserts (not yet implemented in gameplay). For the GI, there are dedicated white, blue and red bulbs. Sometimes the GI will light with all white, all blue, all red or a combo of colors.

#17 11 years ago

If I were making a perfect custom AC/DC for me. I think I would have parts of both games.

I would have the playfield of the pro. I like the Angus face much better than the look of the lower playfield and the gameplay of the lower playfield doesn't seem to add much.

The biggest thing I would want from the premium is the bell. I love the way it looks, I love the way it swings, I love the way it makes the shot less dangerous.

I would take the drop targets. I especially like the one on the left when firing the cannon.

I wouldn't want the ball cross over from the left ramp to the right. It's a bit of an eye sore, it displaces the right lightning bolt and what is really so hard about hitting the right ramp to load the cannon?

The train from the premium is nice, but I would honestly take the picture of the band on the pro over the chincy looking moving band in the premium.

I also like the different colored lighting of the premium.

I would also probably pull the display and put a standard DMD in it. I really liked the LED display at first. It looks brighter than a standard DMD. I even thought about trying to get one to put in my Black Spider-Man, but after looking at them more...I think they are a bit crap. The display is sectioned off into noticable squares and I have even seen them where 1 square isn't as bright as other and it is an obvious eye sore. I hate to pick on the Predator video, but it is the best video I could find to show off the look I don't like about the LED displays.

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from marksf123:

Bigpin said:Still i am getting a Premium. Toys, toys, toys
How did you feel the AC/DC prem is to the TRON pro.....

Bopth great ones, but its not a fair fight. The premium is a lot more expensive and it shows. The lighting and sound are unreal. Like a machine on steroids.

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

If I were making a perfect custom AC/DC for me. I think I would have parts of both games.
I would have the playfield of the pro. I like the Angus face much better than the look of the lower playfield and the gameplay of the lower playfield doesn't seem to add much.
The biggest thing I would want from the premium is the bell. I love the way it looks, I love the way it swings, I love the way it makes the shot less dangerous.
I would take the drop targets. I especially like the one on the left when firing the cannon.
I wouldn't want the ball cross over from the left ramp to the right. It's a bit of an eye sore, it displaces the right lightning bolt and what is really so hard about hitting the right ramp to load the cannon?
The train from the premium is nice, but I would honestly take the picture of the band on the pro over the chincy looking moving band in the premium.
I also like the different colored lighting of the premium.
I would also probably pull the display and put a standard DMD in it. I really liked the LED display at first. It looks brighter than a standard DMD. I even thought about trying to get one to put in my Black Spider-Man, but after looking at them more...I think they are a bit crap. The display is sectioned off into noticable squares and I have even seen them where 1 square isn't as bright as other and it is an obvious eye sore. I hate to pick on the Predator video, but it is the best video I could find to show off the look I don't like about the LED displays.
» YouTube video

Agree with you 100%.

#20 11 years ago

Surly any item that mentions Pro is the best to get..

#21 11 years ago

Stern built a system new in this game to change the color of the bulbs on demand. They purposely left labels off the shots so that they can change the color and effectively change the shot and what it does. It could be used just to keep track of progress on a mode, some modes might require you to hit certain shots for more points, the AXE lanes could change colors and collect extra balls or multiball. It's all speculation right now.

Even the shots on the mini change color. The potential for creating amazing rules around this is limitless. The only thing is, nothing has been released yet.

What exists today on the LE/Premium is basically the Pro code with the mini playfield, bell and diverter very basically implemented. In reality, the LE/Premium today with all those extra features is basically the pro. However, once they finish up the Pro code and start implementing and expanding on the LE/Premium features, I'm hoping for a whole new game with an experience taken to the next level.

Without seeing where they are going, there is no way I'd buy the Pro. If you wait for the code and decide you don't like it, I can see that. But what if you go Pro, and then they update the code and you can change shots based on color, and be able to have a multiball where you play the mini and main playfield at the same time, and the rules are tweaked around the diverter, or when the bell starts swinging itself you have to shoot under it etc. It would suck to be stuck with a Pro if they go all out on the LE/Premium.

My 2 cents.

Quoted from DugFreez:

#22 11 years ago

MSF asked how does the AC DC premium stack up against Tron Pro.

I have a Tron LE. Not having a Premium (waiting for it)- and only playing it at a show, i still vote AC DC premium, even over my Tron LE.

Blasphamy? More toys on the premium, and the gameplay suits me better. I love the ACDC music, the idea of jamming to a pin, trying to keep the game going to hear the song, the music adds flow. I love the bell.

Tron (pro and LE) is a great game, and entirely different experience. But the ACDC took me by storm and i liked it much better than Tron initially. I think its going to be up there as Sterns best. Note the word THINK - its anticipation and i will know more after its against my wall for three months or so.

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from Av8:

Pro is faster so its my personal pref. for game play. Premium is just gorgeous. Im selling one but cant decide.

Av8: Wow. Is the Pro's faster gameplay really THAT much better (to you) to justify even a 2nd thought of which one to keep? If it's an economic decision, I can understand that. But if $$$ isn't part of the equation, having played both, the slightly faster speed you get on the Pro from having standups vs drops doesn't come close to simply having the swinging bell, imho. Not to mention all the other stuff.

Quoted from DugFreez:

+1. While it's not as big of an eye sore in person as it looked in the pics, it's still an aesthetic detriment. And gameplay-wise, also agree: there are times when I DON'T want to load the cannon. In competition there were even times when the player chose NOT to shoot at the targets on ball 3 when there was a point gap to overcome that was considerably larger than the cannon shot, and he was one shot away from qualifying another mb. Even better option would have been to not have the L ramp feed the cannon.

If the R ramp wasn't easily accessible from BOTH flippers, maybe I could understand the crossover path.

ACDC Prem/LE owners: Do the service menu adjustments provide an option to turn off the diverter from L ramp feeding to R ramp? If yes, then perhaps it's an easy mod to simply remove the metal diverter eye sore??

#24 11 years ago

The rules aren't fully implemented. With the color changing inserts it's possible that the cannon will only load from the left ramp when the insert is a certain color etc. They could even write rules that can change the right ramp a certain color and when lit only the left ramp loads the cannon. There are a ton of cool things they can do with the crossover, I'm not sure if they'll do anything like that or not, but it's too early to tell.

It's possible that while either ramp could load the cannon, only one ramp at a time will ever be able to based on the color of the inserts as well.

Quoted from Snailman:

And gameplay-wise, also agree: there are times when I DON'T want to load the cannon. In competition there were even times when the player chose NOT to shoot at the targets on ball 3 when there was a point gap to overcome that was considerably larger than the cannon shot, and he was one shot away from qualifying another mb. Even better option would have been to not have the L ramp feed the cannon.

#25 11 years ago

So are there any pics of these controllable color changing bulbs? Is the bulb under these inserts an actual bulb or a LED on a strip or something? What color are they displaying now....before the color changing has been inplemented in the software?

If you can't tell by my post, I'm pretty sceptical about any of this.

#26 11 years ago

Yup:

They test RGB, but the bulbs are capable of displaying multiple colors at the same time, so they aren't limited to just 3.

It's an LED bulb. As to how exactly they work, I have no idea.

Quoted from DugFreez:

So are there any pics of these controllable color changing bulbs?

However, you can rest your skepticism aside, they exist and I'm positive they will be utilized and hopefully have a major effect on the game.

Quoted from DugFreez:

If you can't tell by my post, I'm pretty sceptical about any of this.

#27 11 years ago

Just find a video of AC DC premium / LE where someone makes the song selection - the ENTIRE machine changes color right there and then - the Hells songs have the PF turn all red (GI and all). Its sweet. The inserts change to based on modes, havent seen that in person yet.

#28 11 years ago

Right now, there is no code at all that changes the color of any inserts. GI yes, inserts no.

Quoted from Bigpin:

The inserts change to based on modes, havent seen that in person yet.

#29 11 years ago

The pro stands on its own for the price. Play one and enjoy. I could afford the le but got the pro because lower PF's make me go insane

#30 11 years ago

Premium is a sexy beast. Put in your living room. Pro is the fastest pin ah. .... Ever.

All good.

2012-05-14_11.03.42.jpg2012-05-14_11.03.42.jpg

#31 11 years ago
Quoted from Av8:

Pro is the fastest pin ah. .... Ever.

JM still holds that title.

#32 11 years ago

I put pledge on my playfield.

#33 11 years ago
Quoted from Av8:

If thats true thats a great way to fubar it.

#34 11 years ago
Quoted from Bigpin:

Just find a video of AC DC premium / LE where someone makes the song selection - the ENTIRE machine changes color right there and then - the Hells songs have the PF turn all red (GI and all). Its sweet. The inserts change to based on modes, havent seen that in person yet.

In this case (the song selection part of the game) the GI playfield bulbs are not changing colors. The playfiels has blue bulbs, red bulbs and green bulbs in different locations. Depending on which song is selected....a certain bulb color lights up and the other 2 colors go out. There is nothing color changing about the bulbs. It is just different colored bulbs being used at different times.

As for under the insert...the video from above is the first I have seen of this. It's a great idea and a shame it isn't implemented yet. I just wonder what the bulb looks like, if it uses a standard socket and how they are wired to be controllable.

#35 11 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

Bigpin said:Just find a video of AC DC premium / LE where someone makes the song selection - the ENTIRE machine changes color right there and then - the Hells songs have the PF turn all red (GI and all). Its sweet. The inserts change to based on modes, havent seen that in person yet.
In this case (the song selection part of the game) the GI playfield bulbs are not changing colors. The playfiels has blue bulbs, red bulbs and green bulbs in different locations. Depending on which song is selected....a certain bulb color lights up and the other 2 colors go out. There is nothing color changing about the bulbs. It is just different colored bulbs being used at different times.
As for under the insert...the video from above is the first I have seen of this. It's a great idea and a shame it isn't implemented yet. I just wonder what the bulb looks like, if it uses a standard socket and how they are wired to be controllable.

PCB smd led , this is all very very very old news like January old new's

#36 11 years ago

Both are fun. I agree with the comment about the Pro being faster... one reason is the standups on Pro (vs the drop targets) ricochet the ball side to side, really a fun effect I haven't seen in many other pins. I'm a big fan of lower playfields, and this one is about as basic as it gets (I'm used to HH and BH) but it's fun. It's a $2k difference, not an easy call to make, but if money is not a big deal I'd lean toward LE/Premium.

#37 11 years ago
Quoted from AkumaZeto:

PCB smd led , this is all very very very old news like January old new's

The tech is so old it hasn't even been used yet. How "day before yesterday of them".

#38 11 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

AkumaZeto said:PCB smd led , this is all very very very old news like January old new's
The tech is so old it hasn't even been used yet. How "day before yesterday of them".

It was used in tron.

#39 11 years ago

AC/DC pro is great. Had a blast playing it on location a few times so far. Super fast pin.

#40 11 years ago
Quoted from Av8:

Stop doing that.

4 months later
#41 11 years ago

Well, is it?

Premium is better but the pro is way cheaper and I am not fussed about lower p/f. Lighting rocks on Premium. Pro is a blast to play.

Will decide in a few more months which to get

#42 11 years ago

The pro is a great game, but the Premium/LE is an awesome game. Personally, if the choice does not come down to money, then Premium all the way.

The bell, lower playfield, ramp to cannon and even the drop targets can have an effect on the way you develop your strategies. AC/DC is amazingly fast, but in this case, speed is something you want to control.

Forget what you think you know about pinball. AC/DC Premium is a unique challenge and a special game.

#44 11 years ago

Let's not revive this thread from the dead.

Judging from the OP's lineup he went with the premium/LE.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 29.95
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 29.95
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Sadsburyville, PA
5,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Chittenango, NY
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-acdc-pro-good-enough?responsive=0 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.