(Topic ID: 218452)

Is a WPC95 power box assembly superior to WPC89 ?

By Rdoyle1978

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

I’ve been working on a game and had to replace the power box recently. I opened 2 games for reference - one a WPC89 game and one a WPC95 game. A question occurred to me - is the WPC95 configuration “better” (as in will it protect the games better?, last longer, etc.)

WPC89 games have a ln RFI filter installed, while I don’t believe 95 games do. Also, the MOV seems to be removed in 95 games. Is this a cost-cutting measure, as both things were found to be redundant or not useful? (Or causing more problems as the BRa on the WPC PDBs which were eventually removed)

Or kinda no difference?

#2 5 years ago

Any thoughts? I realize it's a bit subjective

#3 5 years ago

The line filter is at the back of the cabinet located near the IEC plug.

The WPC-95 power driver board uses discrete diodes versus the bridge rectifiers. Electrically there is no difference.

#4 5 years ago
    Quoted from DumbAss:

The line filter is at the back of the cabinet located near the IEC plug.
    The WPC-95 power driver board uses discrete diodes versus the bridge rectifiers. Electrically there is no difference.

Interesting ... thanks, i did not think to check the other end of the cable. Huh. I appreciate it !

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-a-wpc95-power-box-assembly-superior-to-wpc89- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.