(Topic ID: 109047)

Is a subwoofer the best bang for your buck mod?

By Rockytop

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-780.jpg
#1 9 years ago

I know tons of people here have put subs on their pins. I am really late to the party. I just hooked up a Polk PSW 10 to ACDC and TWDLE and immediately thought, "why haven't I done this before?" I have modded out game after game, but ignored one of the most important aspects of pinball...the sound. I was blown away at how much it added to the experience of playing.

I have spent a lot more on mods that don't add as much value in my opinion. Not every game would benefit as much as others from adding one, but now I'm worried my other pins are going to seem shallow in the sound department by comparison.

I paid $100 for it, but I know pinsiders have pointed out sales in the past of the same sub for like 70 bucks or something. I'm glad it's a relatively cheap upgrade because I plan on getting more. If you haven't hooked up one yet to one of your pins you should try it. For $50 bucks a pin (you can easily hook up 2 pins to this sub, but you can use a splitter to connect it to more than that) it's a mod that's tough to beat.

#2 9 years ago

yes, along with pdi/invisiglass because they are mods that are not only great but also reversible at any time with no effort.

#3 9 years ago

hell yes. cheaper than ff or pp kits, and can hook two up. wont rattle pin either.

#4 9 years ago

We have plug n play sub out adapters for those who don't want to hand wire to the speakers. Connects directly to the stock audio board. $35 shipped includes wiring and free shipping in the USA
Thanks,
Lorenzo
Pinnovators.com
image-780.jpgimage-780.jpg

#5 9 years ago

After getting a few external subs, I can't imagine not using one anymore.

To really hear the difference it makes, try playing a game with the sub turned off.

At $70 that's only $35 per pin!

#6 9 years ago

I think so and not necessarily or always a separate powered sub in a cabinet on the floor underneath.
a woofer replaced with a much more efficient one can do wonders, people tend to look at a speaker's max power capacity then wonder why their new 400w 6x9's whisper when fed 5-10w.. oops!
if an in cab stock woofer is efficiency rated 86-88 Db from 1w at 1m (usually unmentioned specs), replacing it with one that'll do 93-94 Db on the same 1w/1m will be a LOT more bass output.
I'm an amateur audio nut, IMHO best bang for the buck is MCM paper cone cloth surround woofers, not expensive.. find at amazon or MCMelectronics.com site. they may not reach into the deepest low frequencies but look at the "X-Db 1w/1m" efficiency and the prices for the 8's 10's 12's, its pretty hard to beat. something like that will do a whole lot more with a machines stock audio amp.

another option is Goldwood (PartsExpress.com) dual voicecoil woofer. if the existing woofer is 4 ohm just parallel wire both 8 ohm voicecoils (back to 4ohm) usually outperforms a single voicecoil woofer, again look at the efficiency specs how many Db from 1 watt at 1 meter, very helpful for deciding.

stock speakers in the backbox can sound great and huge if theres some ballsy bass backing them up, same for 2.1 computer stereo speakers, home theater setups etc. take away the sub they sound like the little tin cans they usually are.

many people dont like connecting a separate sub, cleaning around it or moving a machine becomes a bit more of a hassle. not saying subs arent nice or nicer (and a good bit more expensive sure), just pointing to the other option for getting more bass out of typical small power audio amps. if it makes the glass rattle theres always foam tape (or turning it down? naaaw!). if theres room to drop in a 10 or a 12, I'm sure tempted (step away from that jigsaw boah!).

#7 9 years ago

A complete speaker upgrade is even better. Really smooths out the tinny sound.

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

A complete speaker upgrade is even better. Really smooths out the tinny sound.

Agreed, and pinball pro systems (not system 11) come with an external subwoofer output, for people that want it all. We added this about 4 years ago.

Greg
Www.pinballpro.com

#9 9 years ago

I've done this with just about every game I've owned. Usually I do a full kit upgrade.

It's probably my #2 mod.......LED's then speakers.

#10 9 years ago

My opinion is the best bang for the buck is to put fresh clean new glass in every game.

$25.00 a sheet and keep it clean = makes any game look better.

RussMyers

#11 9 years ago

The newer sterns benefit most from a powered sub

#12 9 years ago

Agreed. Awesome upgrade for pretty cheap. I love the Polk PSW10 as well....

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from RussMyers:

My opinion is the best bang for the buck is to put fresh clean new glass in every game.
$25.00 a sheet and keep it clean = makes any game look better.
RussMyers

WOW, $25, cheapest around here is $40.

#14 9 years ago

I added a sub to F14. Bought a nice 100W Optimus for $10 at a flea market. That games explosions, etc... really sound good with it, but honestly one game with one sub is enough- there's too much competition when the games are on.

#15 9 years ago

I would consider it more of an add on than a mod. I'll be adding this to my gameroom when I finaly get Ironman. (that's if I don't get laid off within the next two weeks)

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

WOW, $25, cheapest around here is $40.

I can get them at the local (to me) shows, Allentown Pinfest and White Rose Gameroom Show for 25 bucks all day.

I have also ordered pinball glass (21" x 43" x 3/16" std. tempered, "no bug") from local glass shops for 25.00/sheet when we order 10 or more sheets at a time (group order)

Your local prices may vary.

RussMyers

#17 9 years ago

I just picked a Spider Man off that had a sub, it's making me rethink the rest of my lineup..I need bulk pricing..

#18 9 years ago

Yeah subs are amazing bang for the buck. I think it also looks pretty bad ass when you walk up to a pin with a sub underneath it!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

$ 89.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

16,500 (Firm)
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

12,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
PinballGeek

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

7,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-a-subwoofer-the-best-bang-for-your-buck-mod and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.