IMG_20211106_182006.jpg
2021-10-11_17.35.06.jpg
2021-10-11_17.30.21.jpg
IMG_20211023_152454.jpg
2021-10-11_17.32.44.jpg
co65 (resized).jpg
IMG_20210925_150442 (resized).jpg
IMG_20210919_090455 (resized).jpg
There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 2 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Devalue for some. Others would see it as a plus. I'd pay for a pinbot with a hardtop but wouldn't buy yours as presented unless I wanted a project. There are many different types of pin buyers.

I literally know no one at all in real life that would see a hardtop as a plus. I know there are some pinsiders that swear by them, but real world the "devalue" camp is larger than the "plus" camp in my experience, by a lot.

I mean if there are absolutely no other options at all, maaaaybe. But a hardtop is not a plus in the marketplace.

#52 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

... As long as it's well documented with pictures from all angles, top and bottom, before teardown, it should go very smoothly.

Quoted from PinMonk:

... Just take A LOT of pictures from A LOT of angles top and bottom before you start the teardown...

These guys are spot on. I've never done a PF swap, but when I take picture to fix or replace something, I take a TON of them...and then some. Close in, far out, different sections of the PF. And I try to shoot from from all angles for connections. It also helps to clean off the wires so you can see the colors on them. I usually use a flash regardless since helps to bring out the wire colors better.

#53 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

You need to give it a couple hundred plays to settle down in my experience.

I played it a bunch after I did the swap, as well as the guy I sold it to still has it years later....and it's the same as the day I finished it and had it back up and playing. It wasn't about the clear so much, see below...

Quoted from Greenfun13:

Can you elaborate on what was different about the playing experience after doing the CPR swap? I have been reading about how people don't like hard tops for how they play, but I haven't really seen many negative reviews about the CPR swaps.

My comment isn't in regard to CPR's quality, at all. You have to keep in mind.... Pinbot...Space Shuttle....these games were not designed with clearcoat in mind. It just didn't feel right, and frankly, their dimples for the slingshots and lane guides left a lot to be desired. Had I made them any closer at all than where I ended up putting them on the outer edge of the dimple, the ball wouldn't have even been able to pass through the inlane. Yes, I understand dimples are a GUIDE not a law, but it was my first swap, and was like a year and a half or two years into the hobby. I hardly knew better. This is an issue you're never going to have with a hardtop or a simple swap to a nicer PF. If the thought of being EXTREMELY METICULOUS terrifies you......doing a full PF swap or restore is completely out of the question. You're going to have to make a very dedicated effort, especially with it being your first one, to make sure that things line up correctly and whatnot. It's not a minor undertaking, and I don't care what ANYONE says.... the underside of Pinbot is one of the most batsh--- crazy wire harnesses I've ever seen. Jackbot was SO MUCH LESS it was *shocking* and they're practically the same game!

How much of the machine can you swap out before it's not really the game you've always owned? Once you swap the PF out, and assuming you're rebuilding all the mechs while you're at it.....what makes a pinball machine still "original" or "the same".....the fact that you haven't changed the wiring harness and circuit boards? If you're keeping the game for nostalgic value, it's something to think about. That's also part of why that Shuttle was just not *my* game anymore.

#54 2 years ago

I don not have a pinbot pf, though I do have its brother Jackbot NOS pf.

It takes many installs to get good at tuneing a pf. Just installing the parts will not make for a good playing game. You will learn a lot each one you do from your mistakes.

#55 2 years ago

I say just clean, wax, shop it out and play the shit out of it. We're in the same boat as you with a Comet we picked up some time ago. It was filthy, and had wear spots all over the playfield, but after some lovin' it's just a great playing pin! I know hardtops are available for it, and have been for some time, but it just plays so nicely that I don't really even notice all the blemishes.

co65 (resized).jpgco65 (resized).jpg

Someday I may find a clean original I can retouch and clear.... I don't know. For now it's staying the way it is.

Good luck!

-Paul

#56 2 years ago
Quoted from Pablito350:

I say just clean, wax, shop it out and play the shit out of it. We're in the same boat as you with a Comet we picked up some time ago. It was filthy, and had wear spots all over the playfield, but after some lovin' it's just a great playing pin! I know hardtops are available for it, and have been for some time, but it just plays so nicely that I don't really even notice all the blemishes.
[quoted image]
Someday I may find a clean original I can retouch and clear.... I don't know. For now it's staying the way it is.
Good luck!
-Paul

Those 2 were my favorite on route when I was in college. WMU had a deal with the local operator, and we had a couple machines in every dorm, and then the student union had a huge arcade.

#57 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I literally know no one at all in real life that would see a hardtop as a plus. I know there are some pinsiders that swear by them, but real world the "devalue" camp is larger than the "plus" camp in my experience, by a lot.
I mean if there are absolutely no other options at all, maaaaybe. But a hardtop is not a plus in the marketplace.

I don't know anyone at all in real life who would rather have a blown out pinbot than one with a hard top installed, myself included, and yes I would pay more for it.

#58 2 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Chargers are averaging 5 yards per carry... good night.

I'm glad you get to experience the heartbreak that SD felt for decades with that "team."

Back on topic...I think the post about selling it and buying a better example for $1K more is a better idea. If you're asking about doing a PF swap, it's not for you. The guys who shine at it have some demon that compels them to do it. God bless them.

#59 2 years ago

I am going to bring the pin over to my house this weekend. Once I get it home I plan on doing a very thorough shop job and carefully hit the PF with some ISO and magic erasers to see if I can get it cleaned up. The 'largest' problem area with it is the shield area (picture in the first post), not only has the paint worn off, but there is a patch job of mylar squares that are starting to bubble, effecting game play. If I could get that area cleaned up with with some new insert decals as Don44 suggested, I think we would be pretty happy.

Again, once I get it to my house I will update this thread with some more detailed photos of the trouble areas and see what the best course of action is.

Is applying the shield decal in the link below as easy as removing the existing mylar, cleaning, and applying the new printed mylar decals?

ebay.com link: itm

#60 2 years ago

Did I post in the wrong thread? I was wondering where a few of my posts vanished to...
No the 5-yds per carry means they were crushing the Raiders.

#61 2 years ago
Quoted from Greenfun13:

I am going to bring the pin over to my house this weekend. Once I get it home I plan on doing a very thorough shop job and carefully hit the PF with some ISO and magic erasers to see if I can get it cleaned up. The 'largest' problem area with it is the shield area (picture in the first post), not only has the paint worn off, but there is a patch job of mylar squares that are starting to bubble, effecting game play. If I could get that area cleaned up with with some new insert decals as Don44 suggested, I think we would be pretty happy.
Again, once I get it to my house I will update this thread with some more detailed photos of the trouble areas and see what the best course of action is.
Is applying the shield decal in the link below as easy as removing the existing mylar, cleaning, and applying the new printed mylar decals?
ebay.com link: itm

You can get a decal that covers the entire matrix/shield area. Typically when the mylar bubbles like that the inserts are not level, its super common on PinBot. I had one before the hard top was available. I decaled it and cleaned it up, it played great but in the end I was just never happy with it. Be real careful with the magic eraser the paint will be super fragile. I ended up selling mine, I just couldn't get past the playfield. At the time the only playfields available where guys that had horded CPRs to flip. It just didn't make financial sense to put that much into a PinBot. Hardtop is perfect for pins in this price point and it is way better than that decal.

#62 2 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

At the time the only playfields available where guys that had horded CPRs to flip.

Yep...that's the other reason why I never did Pinbot..... 800 buck playfield for.....an 800 buck game at the time LOL.

#63 2 years ago

How long will you keep it?
Do you ever expect to get your money back?
Will you play it regularly 3 months after it is finished?
How much free time do you have for this?
What is your ability?
What are your expectations?
All important questions in figuring what to do.
We cannot answer most of these. It is really up to you. What i may think is a great idea may bring you to tears halfway thru the project.

#64 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Thanks, that is my experience and thinking as well. Now, given a choice between a completed hardtop and a worn playfield, I could see some preferring the work already done. But one with a hardtop next to one with a new playfield - I don't know anybody who'd choose the hardtop over a real pf.

#65 2 years ago
Quoted from Pintopia:

CPR Playfield all the way! Just not a fan of the hard tops also don’t know how it can be an easier swap/install when you have to sand your original…

Obviously, a hartop instead of a full swap is easier due to the fact you don't have to swap the underside hardware

#66 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballAir:

How long will you keep it?
Do you ever expect to get your money back?
Will you play it regularly 3 months after it is finished?
How much free time do you have for this?
What is your ability?
What are your expectations?
All important questions in figuring what to do.
We cannot answer most of these. It is really up to you. What i may think os a great idea may bring you to tears halfway thru the project.

Most of these questions have been answered through out this thread, but I'll answer them again for anyone joining the party on the second page.

Do you ever expect to get your money back? -- Been in the family since 1995 and we have ZERO intentions of ever selling the machine.

Will you play it regularly 3 months after it is finished? -- Played it regularly growing up, and now with my passion for pinball reignited, yes, I believe I will be playing it for years and years to come.

How much free time do you have for this? -- That's kind of a loaded question since I always seem to be working on some sort of project. Currently, restoring my 1970 Mustang Mach 1 has been taking up most of my time, but slow and steady wins the race!

What is your ability? -- I was raised with the mentality that if you can pay someone to do something, you can figure out how to do it your self, and I live by those words. I do 98%+ of my own work. Everything from pulling engines / transmission to rebuild them to relocating plumbing, laying tile and doing household electrical work. With the invention of the internet and subsequently online forums and YouTube, I feel that I can figure out just about everything I need to fix or install something.

What are your expectations? -- My brother and I want to give the pin some much needed love and attention since it has been neglected through out the years. We aren't necessarily looking for a show quality pin, we just want to make it prettier than it currently is, and more importantly, play as smooth as possible.

#67 2 years ago

With all of those answered, go for the CPR.
Rebuild all the mechs and do a full blown restoration.
Make it as nice as you can, you wont regret it.

#68 2 years ago
Quoted from Greenfun13:

I was raised with the mentality that if you can pay someone to do something, you can figure out how to do it your self, and I live by those words. I do 98%+ of my own work. Everything from pulling engines / transmission to rebuild them to relocating plumbing, laying tile and doing household electrical work. With the invention of the internet and subsequently online forums and YouTube, I feel that I can figure out just about everything I need to fix or install something.

Okay, see, I feel this like a punch in the face. Literally me and pinball. I've never paid a tech in the decade I've been in the hobby. Not once. Got help from other locals once or twice, though. Was also why I was batshit enough to even try a playfield swap on the first game I owned (and most of what I owned between buying it and the swap was EM's.) As long as you're willing to go slow and carefully, it'll be fine. It took me 3 months of 2-3 hours a night several times a week to get Space Shuttle done, but I CUT AND RESOLDERED every...single....bloody...connection! Don't do that.

#69 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballAir:

I respect this reply as I have been doing restorations for >20 years, but I want to chime in just a bit. If a few hundred bucks and a bit less labor is something to consider, then consider a hardtop. IMO, they make a great product…this coming from someone who has done 8+ playfield swaps. I get it, new playfields are the best .

#70 2 years ago
Quoted from Blenderhead:

Obviously, a hartop instead of a full swap is easier due to the fact you don't have to swap the underside hardware

Is it? I've read here from those who have done it, and it seems like a whole lot more work to me than a PF swap - I've done swaps, never a hardtop. It looks like a lot more problems.

#71 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballAir:

Avoid Mirco playfields. Check out 3:00 mark

1 month later
#72 2 years ago

A very past due update:

Got PinBot over to my house and immediately got to work on him. Started by stripping the playfield, cleaning contacts, scrubbing everything down with a magic eraser and some rubbing alcohol, some Novus, multiple coats of wax, new rubbers, new flipper bats, and some new balls. I also threw in some extra LEDs I had leftover, but still need to order more. (Hopefully Comet has a black Friday sale!)

Man, this pin hasn't played this well in YEARS!

It looks better in person, but here are some before/after pictures:

2021-10-11_17.30.21.jpg2021-10-11_17.30.21.jpg
2021-10-11_17.32.44.jpg2021-10-11_17.32.44.jpg
2021-10-11_17.35.06.jpg2021-10-11_17.35.06.jpg

Not stopping there. After seeing the powder coated metal on my High Speed, my brother wanted to powder coat all of the exterior metal, so put the pin up on an old rolling cabinet I had and took him apart. Decided on wrinkle black for the powder:

IMG_20211023_152454.jpgIMG_20211023_152454.jpg

An up close picture showing the detail of the wrinkle black:

IMG_20211106_182006.jpgIMG_20211106_182006.jpg

I decided to buff and repaint the feet myself to save a few bucks at the powder coater.. Man, how did they get so rusty??

IMG_20211029_112805 (resized).jpgIMG_20211029_112805 (resized).jpg

It wont let me delete this duplicate picture... I will start a new post to finish my update.. Stay tuned..

IMG_20211029_112805.jpgIMG_20211029_112805.jpg
#73 2 years ago

Moving along..

Here he is up on the 'workbench' (you can see a little sneak peek at the sign the girlfriend and I (mostly her) created.

IMG_20211025_180209 (resized).jpgIMG_20211025_180209 (resized).jpg

Here they are side by side, with my new AWESOME and CUSTOM sign!

IMG_20211105_224055 (resized).jpgIMG_20211105_224055 (resized).jpg

And a final up close shot of the sign we made:

IMG_20211023_180541 (resized).jpgIMG_20211023_180541 (resized).jpg

I still plan on ordering a new plastic set, new upper playfield, new mirrored back glass, new vortex ramp, and installing a black (Jackbot) ramp to make it feel a little more 'space-y'.. This pin will never leave the family so we don't mind customizing it to make it a little more unique.

I think that is all for now, thanks for reading!! (and if you are seriously interested in a custom sign, send me a PM)

#74 2 years ago
Quoted from Greenfun13:

A very past due update:
Got PinBot over to my house and immediately got to work on him. Started by stripping the playfield, cleaning contacts, scrubbing everything down with a magic eraser and some rubbing alcohol, some Novus, multiple coats of wax, new rubbers, new flipper bats, and some new balls. I also threw in some extra LEDs I had leftover, but still need to order more. (Hopefully Comet has a black Friday sale!)
Man, this pin hasn't played this well in YEARS!
It looks better in person, but here are some before/after pictures:
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
Not stopping there. After seeing the powder coated metal on my High Speed, my brother wanted to powder coat all of the exterior metal, so put the pin up on an old rolling cabinet I had and took him apart. Decided on wrinkle black for the powder:
[quoted image]
An up close picture showing the detail of the wrinkle black:
[quoted image]
I decided to buff and repaint the feet myself to save a few bucks at the powder coater.. Man, how did they get so rusty??
[quoted image]
It wont let me delete this duplicate picture... I will start a new post to finish my update.. Stay tuned..
[quoted image]

I would toss those old casters. New ones are so cheep

Everything else looks great!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Kingston, OK
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

3,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Clovis, CA
3,152 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pulaski, PA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-a-playfield-swap-my-best-option/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.