4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 124 posts
  • 73 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by jrpinball
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 7 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Old_Man_Howl_by_Radirock.jpg
    The truth is in wine.jpg
    trust-1.jpg
    james bond.jpg
    bank bond.jpg
    Black-money-talks-and-bullshit-walks-by-wam-Women-s-T-Shirts.jpg
    sgt crap game 2.jpg

There are 124 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 4 years ago

Apparently not always. A game was recently offered for sale here, and I responded to the seller that I would buy it, sight unseen, for his asking price. He said he would hold it for me until Sunday when I could come and pick it up.
    Well, as is usually the case, the more time that is allowed to elapse between a verbal agreement and when a game is actually loaded into your vehicle, the chances of "something happening" increase exponentially with each passing hour. In this case, the seller's wife somehow accidently sold the game. I don't know about any of you guys, but there's no way in hell that my wife could ever sell one of my games without me knowing about it! OK, fine. Someone obviously showed up, cash in hand (maybe more than the asking price), and bought the game. It happens. Like I said, until a game is in your vehicle and that vehicle is moving toward your house, anything is likely to happen.
    No biggie. I don't really need the game. I was going to help out a friend who has this game with a rough playfield, then sell the remaining game for whatever. It just sucks when this type of thing happens even though it seems to happen all the time now. Move on.

#2 4 years ago

Jesus I find it almost as hard to listen to pinsider's words as they do mine.

#3 4 years ago

Just because they post on a forum doesn't give me any reason to trust them over the next guy. Now based on HOW they have posted over time might inspire some confidence.

sorry to hear about missing out.

#4 4 years ago

Put the money down - some kind of deposit. Show the seller how dead serious you are.

I have done that, and I am batting 3 for 3 so far.

I know ACDC has a song about this...something about "Money talks....."

#5 4 years ago

Most people here are assholes

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

Soooo right. But, it could be worse. We could be like those A-holes on car forums...

#7 4 years ago

Being a "Pinsider" means nothing. I had someone hold a game for me (twinmice, great guy) but only because we had mutual friends that vouched for both of us, and so we established some trust. Just being a member of a forum isn't enough. He knew I wasn't a flake, and I knew he was a solid guy who was happy to wait a few days for a convenient time for both of us. But it's the references, which were established through Pinside, that mattered.

#8 4 years ago

sgt crap game 2.jpg

Quoted from jrpinball:In this case, the seller's wife somehow accidentally sold the game.

Bogus B.S. No way that happened. Time for the seller to man up or off with Weasel Boys head! No wife sells a mans pin without his knowledge unless he is dead.

All I know is that if I am selling a pin to someone and they say they will have the cash, be at the meeting place time and date we agreed on, then I would never sell the machine out from under them ahead of time unless I got a call from the buyer to cancel the deal for whatever reason, even if I was offered more cash from another buyer.

After all, A deal is a deal.

Ken

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

Put the money down - some kind of deposit. Show the seller how dead serious you are.
    I have done that, and I am batting 3 for 3 so far.
    I know ACDC has a song about this...something about "Money talks....."

There are cases where it's just not possible to get the cash to the person, or get there to pick up the game immediately, which is what I always try to do. If I could have, I would have given him full payment, not a deposit.

#10 4 years ago

How far can you throw a Pinsider?

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

There are cases where it's just not possible to get the cash to the person, or get there to pick up the game immediately, which is what I always try to do. If I could have, I would have given him full payment, not a deposit.

ive done deposits thru paypal in such cases

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

Well if PinWiz79/Curly says so, my confidence in the kum-ba-ya thread is seriously shaken

#13 4 years ago

Black-money-talks-and-bullshit-walks-by-wam-Women-s-T-Shirts.jpg

#14 4 years ago

"Is a Pinsider's word his bond?"

There are only 2 Bonds I trust.

Ken

bank bond.jpg james bond.jpg
    #15 4 years ago

In today's world not being able to get money to someone is ridiculous . Hell I had a guy wire me 10k from his phone. If you can't get the funds the conversation is moot. Sorry

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from btw75:

Just because they post on a forum doesn't give me any reason to trust them over the next guy. Now based on HOW they have posted over time might inspire some confidence.

bingo... trust is earned... there are a few here that i trust based solely on their postings and my interactions with them, and i would have no problem at all holding something for them (or asking them to hold something for me)... there are several more that would fall into the "trust, but verify" category...

the rest, which is a large majority of members? uhhh, nope... why should an internet forum be any different than real life? i don't trust the large majority of people, period...

#17 4 years ago

trust-1.jpg

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from Hwawonyu:

In today's world not being able to get money to someone is ridiculous . Hell I had a guy wire me 10k from his phone. If you can't get the funds the conversation is moot. Sorry

Yeah, that's what it comes down to. The first guy there with the cash gets the prize. I can live with that, unless you give your word otherwise. The seller didn't ask for any cash, and it wasn't a whole lot of money anyway. Just a gentleman's agreement. I guess I'm just old school and trust someone when they say they can wait a few days until I can come and get the game. I was willing to uphold my end of the deal; pay the man his asking price even though I only had a few photos to go by. I was recently burned doing the same thing, but was willing to take another chance. As I said, no biggie; just don't blow smoke up my ass with some bullshit excuse. I'm done commenting and choose to just move on.

#19 4 years ago

At least you didn't sell a Fix It Felix to a dude in NYC

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

Agreed. Like I said - a "deposit". Like when I do it, I put down half - right then and there. That normally buys me two weeks. I tell the owner of the machine if I fall through after an agreed amount of time, the money is his.

Not trying to cast judgment on you at all - just explaining as to what I do - and it has worked out pretty well so far.

3 for 3 .

#21 4 years ago

You need to try this in the court of RGP.

#22 4 years ago

On a more serious note - I usually get snaked out of the games that I put a little less than my full effort into getting. If I really, really, really want a game, I try to make it happen that day. I've gone 4 hours one way to make the happen today. If I'm a little less motivated, well, things happen.

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from newmantjn:

On a more serious note - I usually get snaked out of the games that I put a little less than my full effort into getting. If I really, really, really want a game, I try to make it happen that day. I've gone 4 hours one way to make the happen today. If I'm a little less motivated, well, things happen.

tru - dat

#24 4 years ago

Wow, I am sorry to hear this....

When I first read the post (subject)... i wanted to jump in and say 'Yes, you can trust pinside.... ' because my word is not only my 'Bond' but my word is my 'honor' and something that i have taught all of my kids. it is the only one true thing you have......

And i have learned that this forum has more people that believe the same as i than any other forum that I participate in, and so therefore all of us must feel the same way.......

.... and then reality set in as I read the rest of the posts........

it is true....... peoples words and honor are not the same as mine.

But I still love pinside.......

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from Geremy13:

'Yes, you can trust pinside.... ' because my word is not only my 'Bond' but my word is my 'honor' and something that i have taught all of my kids. it is the only one true thing you have......

I actually feel the the "general public" seems to stand by their word at least as good as most "pinball people". I've had people hold games for me no problem at all, just on my say so and they immediately yanked the ad.

#26 4 years ago

I tend to agree..... was just a little disappointed to read some of the other responses and their unfortunate results.

#27 4 years ago

A number of you are mentioning a deposit, as if that's going to stop a seller from selling it to someone offering more or who can get there quicker; a deposit will mean nothing to an unscrupulous person. Nothing's stopping him from selling it out from under you and then giving you back your deposit. Heck, when I was buying my first car I put a deposit down on a '73 Mustang, came back a week later (as agreed upon) and the car was gone; took me weeks to get my deposit back from the bastard. All it comes down to is the character/integrity of who you're dealing with.

#28 4 years ago
    Quoted from jibmums:

came back a week later (as agreed upon) and the car was gone; took me weeks to get my deposit back from the bastard.

You should have taken him to small claims court or burned his house down.

#29 4 years ago
    Quoted from jayhawkai:

You should have taken him to small claims court or burned his house down.

Yeah, I was only 18 at the time, Would handle things quite differently now.

#30 4 years ago

I agree if he promised . My point was only if it was about getting the money there. I have offered to PayPal for example and had folks say just send a check.
    Heck with Buddy I have agreed on a sale that we finalized way down the road it's all trust.
    But if someone I had no trust with wanted money it would be on me to get it . At the same time don't promise if you won't keep it.

#31 4 years ago

I havent had a Pinsider do me wrong on a transaction yet, whether it be a machine, sending me free extra bulbs, going to their house after just talking on here, offering up games to me before putting them to the public, etc. It is getting put to the test on Friday though. I had one Pinsider find a pin I wanted, act as liaison to get me a better price, and get my info to the seller. Then I gifted $ through PayPal to seller for the machine, found another Pinsider doing a transport run to go get it and bring it to me, and pre-payed him via PayPal gift too. Now there are plenty of people on here to vouch for all 3 of them, but I havent even see the machine at all, have quite a bit of money riding on this, and am meeting up at my house alone with a total stranger who is hopefully bringing me my great pin. I have been in constant contact with seller and transporter, and both have been friendly and great, and I am not worried at all somehow. I do agree reputation on here has more pull than just being a Pinsider in general, and would put more immediate trust in a seasoned regular than a newbie with no history.

#32 4 years ago

The only guarantee in life is death.

#33 4 years ago
    Quoted from rockotaco1:

The only guarantee in life is death.

and taxes.

#35 4 years ago

If any pinsider deals with me rest assured my word is bond

#36 4 years ago

Only a Lannister always pays their debts. For everyone else there is MasterCard.

#37 4 years ago

Just a shame that a Pinsider would pull something like this.
    CL, happens all the time. But I figured Folks here may be a little more honest and their word had value. But as others pointed out, it's just another Internet Forum that does have some ass holes!
    Never thought of Pinside in that Light but in reality assholes are everywhere and Pinside is not excluded.

#38 4 years ago

i think word gets out quicker about shit rats on this board because it's a pretty tight community. some folks can't be pleased but repeated shit rats get a reputation. i've had good and bad experiences with buying or trying to buy pins from members of this board. a couple hundred bucks deposit via paypal worked once, asking for 24 hours to check with my wife about if she way okay with another machine in our small apartment did not.

there's folks who have nothing but time and money to swoop in on deals cash in hand in a moments notice which screws over those of use who do not have that luxury.

#39 4 years ago

Pinside is a cross section of the world. There are good pinsiders and not so good pinsiders, just like the real world. unfortunately, it seems like you got one of the not-so-good ones. If I have a verbal deal with someone, and they say they are coming, I trust that this will happen and afford them the opportunity to make it so. Obviously, not everyone operates in the same manner.

Dave

#40 4 years ago

The trust we have with one another as Pinsiders is one of the reasons I joined Pinside.

#41 4 years ago

Trust is gained by working with people.
    You start out with smaller deals.
    If you build a lasting business relationship with someone, it is a better guarantee for good deals.
    It takes time for people to prove themselves to others.
    Trust is built over time.

#42 4 years ago

Ugh that sucks I do that for my CL ads and there is always the douche that just never shows or returns my text/emails Gus making me hold he item for a week and then no one wants it after it is relisted I stay to my word though, f that. I'm here to make friends and be fair.

#43 4 years ago

i had a craigs list deal on my pinbot where they guy kept it word on selling it to me, no money down. it took me a month to get it due to bad weather and i was sweating the whole time someone would grab it up from under me. goes both ways.

got my TZ from CL as well, but it was a miracle. the guys was kinda flakey and the deal took several weeks to pan out, but he ended up selling it to me $100 down and because i lived about 5-10 minutes away.

#44 4 years ago

The only thing worse than going back on your word is coming up with some lame excuse. Accidentally sold. What the hell is that?

#45 4 years ago

The only way to know on this forum who is a trusted seller and who isn't is by stating who this is you were dealing with. I read all the time "great seller, deal with confidence", but maybe it is time to call out the rats also.

#46 4 years ago

I agree with odin. As much as it is against the spirit of the community that Robin is trying to construct you have to name the rat for the better of the community.

#47 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

but maybe it is time to call out the rats also.

Quoted from pinballkim:

As much as it is against the spirit of the community that Robin is trying to construct you have to name the rat for the better of the community.

I foresee that getting ugly and locked fast. However, I for one would like to know who it is to avoid dealing with.

#48 4 years ago

I have yet to come across any large group in my life where all of the people within it were totally honest and good for their word.

My trust is given on a Person by Person basis only. Nothing less.

#49 4 years ago

I'm not going to name names, but i had a retailer recently offer me a clear deal (at least it was clear to me) where I agreed to the price, trading in X and Y of my games, and how much tax and delivery charge I would pay. I was just waiting to hear back regarding when the exchange could take place.

A few days go by, I call back and I am informed "there was a misunderstanding". Okee dokee. I am sure if I offered games X and Y for sale to them for a set amount of money and agreed to a deal, then tried to wring more money out of them they would have had some choice words for me other than being misunderstood

I honestly would have preferred if they just admitted they screwed up, or even better manned up and kept their word.

I treat people fairly, and if I make a deal or commitment I try my best to keep it. Obviously not everybody does or threads like this would not be as common or as busy as they are.

#50 4 years ago
    Quoted from newmantjn:

That's exactly what I did a few weeks ago when I bought a BIN woodrail on eBay. I was originally going to wait a week to go and get it, but thought better of it and drove the 4 1/2 hours the very next day to pick it up. The guy seemed honest and reputable and probably would not have sold it out from under me, but I didn't know him from Adam until I met him, so I'm glad I didn't take any chances. Sure enough though, he told me that he had offers to buy it after the auction had ended. You're exactly right, to minimize the chances of a deal falling through, get it done immediately if at all possible.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 6.95
    $ 14.95
    Hardware
    CPR Playfields
    $ 19.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Lighting - Interactive
    Pinball Z
    $ 23.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    The MOD Couple
    $ 7,499.99
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 76.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 14.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    $ 49.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 17.50
    Playfield - Plastics
    Bright Lights Pinball
    $ 4.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    ULEKstore
    $ 94.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    £ 37.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Protection
    Little Shop Of Games
    There are 124 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside