Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 110 posts
  • 64 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by nicoy3k
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Is a NIB game that lives in your basement and is taken to a pinball show for the freeplay area still HUO?”

• Yes 71 votes
      26%
    • No 200 votes
      74%

(271 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

RM3 (resized).jpg
    RM2 (resized).jpg
    RM1 (resized).jpg
    a81b4a67303548708aa8694b3e0724ae (resized).jpg
    There are 110 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 4 years ago

Can you buy a NIB pin, take it to a pinball show and put it on freeplay, then sell it as documented HUO later?

Just curious what the group consensus is here. I know I can do what I want but do like the idea of sharing my new toy at a show. I just don't know if I will screw myself on resale. May bu my first NIB in 2020.

#2 4 years ago

You could say not routed.

#3 4 years ago

If the end game is to have it in your house, then it’s no big deal. If you go to sell, state it was played at TPF (or wherever) then taken home.

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dallas_Pin:

If the end game is to have it in your house, then it’s no big deal. If you go to sell, state it was played at TPF (or wherever) then taken home.

Hypothetically, get delivered to house, enjoy 6 months, take to York show, take home, play 6 months, sell/trade.

#5 4 years ago

Well, HUO is really a statement of history of the machine more than anything else. I would say the game was HUO but note you took it a show once for others to enjoy.

I don’t think HUO matters as much these days as it did years ago. Condition is king, not the machine’s history.

#6 4 years ago

HUO really means nothing, as others will say “condition is what matters”

I’ve seen routed games with 20-30k plays look and play better then some HUO games with 200-300 plays.

#7 4 years ago

I think it’s still huo, the amount of plays at a show probably equal what you might do in 6 more months of ownership so same difference imo. The only concern is damage from moving it, easy to get dinged up by straps or volunteers in a hurry.

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Can you buy a NIB pin, take it to a pinball show and put it on freeplay, then sell it as documented HUO later?
    Just curious what the group consensus is here. I know I can do what I want but do like the idea of sharing my new toy at a show. I just don't know if I will screw myself on resale. May bu my first NIB in 2020.

Don't get too hung up on HUO vs Non HUO. Plenty of collectors don't even bother with these acronyms. Keep it in good shape and you'll be fine.

#9 4 years ago

The pole should have a “yes* - *was brought to XYZ show” a show will put maybe a thousand games on your machine. I can put a thousand on my home machines in a month.

#10 4 years ago

HASUO = home and show use only
    MHBOAAS = mostly home but once at a show

I think this would get silly before long. Not something that needs to be kept track of.

Condition is king, it doesn’t matter what label you use to describe the game.......even if it’s imamaculate with no legs.

#11 4 years ago

The only letters that matter are LOO.

#12 4 years ago

It's not HUO. You could take it to a "pay one price" arcade for a day, and that kills the HUO designation.

#13 4 years ago

As others have said, these labels don't matter. I've seen (and bought) "HUO" machines in horrible condition.

I like to be as honest as I can when selling a game. I don't think I'd ever list something as HUO. If a buyer asked about the history, I'd tell him everything I knew, but I'm not going to knock $500 off because I took it to a show.

HUO is a meaningless designation. Many HUO machines have batteries leaking all over the CPU.

#14 4 years ago

What do you mean by documented? No such documentation exists.

You can say whatever you want when you sell it. It doesn’t mean that you are being truthful, or that the buyer will believe you. The concept of something being HUO means nothing to me (condition and price is all that matters). Machines in some homes are kept in a worse state than a routed but maintained machine.

One things for sure though, I will always offer less money when buying something if the seller has tried to deceive me.

#15 4 years ago

Absolutely not "HUO" if you took it to a show.
    If it went to a show for freeplay area then it is not "home use ONLY"
    If I were a buyer of said machine I would want that info disclosed. It wouldn't matter on price IMO but if your not honest about it, what else are you hiding.
    -Mike

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from Grizlyrig:

If I were a buyer of said machine I would want that info disclosed. It wouldn't matter on price IMO but if your not honest about it, what else are you hiding.
    -Mike

Agreed

#17 4 years ago

ABSOLUTELY NOT! And I am frankly pissed that 22% of people think otherwise. I have noticed people posting games as HUO that are not and it’s a blatant lie!

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from thedarkknight77:

ABSOLUTELY NOT! And I am frankly pissed that 22% of people think otherwise. I have noticed people posting games as HUO that are not and it’s a blatant lie!

SOLD!
    Machine - For Sale
    Partially restored (almost original) - “Selling my BoP with the Dutch Pinball 2.0 kit. This game has a new repro playfield with an excellent clearcoat (from Buthamburg, Germany), new plastics and mini playfield from CPR,...”
    2019-12-16
    Schererville, IN
    5,500 (Firm)
    Archived after: 6 days
    Viewed: 995 times
    Contributed to Pinside

#19 4 years ago

If you were a smart seller, you'd lie and say your game had been routed in many locations and played by thousands and is still in great shape, giving buyers the impression they are buying a solid game.

If the game has been in your house and only has 100 plays on it (still not sure how that happens), of course it's in good shape.

#20 4 years ago

Did anyone put money in it?

#21 4 years ago

If I'm selling, yes an HUO game that's been in a show or a tournament is still HUO.

If I'm buying, I would say it is not.

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from Grizlyrig:

-Mike

Rediculous. Seller has no obligation to list any and all events their pin has been to. All a seller has to do is describe the condition accurately.

@ Sataneatscheese
    Don't even worry about guys like that. They are far and few between. If anyone tries to dicker you down over bringing your pin to a show kick their ass right out the door. I have sold over 50 pins and have taken many to shows and it has never been a problem. Support your local shows!

#23 4 years ago

If you can read, the answer is obvious... Home Use Only - if it was used in any "establishment" that is not a "home" then it is clearly not HUO.

The "Condition is King" argument is moot to the actual question.

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Rediculous. Seller has no obligation to list any and all events their pin has been to. All a seller has to do is describe the condition accurately.

Definitely. Unless they explicitly listed it as “HUO.”

If they do list it as HUO, but don’t disclose that it’s been at a public show, they’re lying.

#25 4 years ago

What about a game that was on a retail showroom floor as a floor model....purchased and delivered/setup for home use. Would this be considered HUO machine?

#26 4 years ago

how can there be NIB HUO?? Oxymoron at it's finest.

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from V4Vendetta:

how can there be NIB HUO?? Oxymoron at it's finest.

Point taken. Box opened in basement... lovingly cared for at home... taken to a show for others to enjoy then taken back home. Just wanted to know how much I would hurt myself if I took a new game to a show to share. If I end up with a new pin Ill probably bring it anyways. Thanks guys!

#28 4 years ago
    Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

What about a game that was on a retail showroom floor as a floor model....purchased and delivered/setup for home use. Would this be considered HUO machine?

Nope we ran into this locally.

#29 4 years ago
    Quoted from KozMckPinball:

Did anyone put money in it?

There is a local barcade that has all its games on freeplay and they get 1000s of plays a month. They have never had money put through them. Are they HUO lol

#30 4 years ago

NIB show games from distributors sell for a $500+ discount for a reason. Saying a show game is HUO without at least sharing the fact is dishonest IMO.

#31 4 years ago

It’s as if people forget what the “O” in HUO stands for.

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from Yoko2una:

It’s as if people forget what the “O” in HUO stands for.

...or the H

#33 4 years ago

I can’t believe how crazy some people are here. Home Use Only:

on·ly
    /ˈōnlē/
    Learn to pronounce
    adverb
    and no one or nothing more besides; solely or exclusively.

The word “only” is in the dictionary, it’s not up for debate.

#34 4 years ago

HUO means "never been on location."

A show isn't a location. Show games do not take damage, do not get beat up like route games. Having a game at a show or tournament for a couple days is child's play. It's nothing in the grand scheme of things. As long as you take care of it when you are moving it, the game will be zero percent worse off for the wear.

It's really moot anyway. Call your game HUO. People who overshare on sale ads are inviting unneeded scrutiny and nit picking. If you say "Game is HUO except I took it to Allentown once" you deserve what you get (a lot of bullshit from the usual suspects).

#35 4 years ago

condition is king !

#36 4 years ago

Wow. Okay. I can’t believe I have to do this.

HOME:

home
    /hōm/
    Learn to pronounce
    noun
    the place where one lives permanently, especially as a member of a family or household.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

#37 4 years ago
    Quoted from jalpert:

Wow. Okay. I can’t believe I have to do this.
    HOME:
    home
    /hōm/
    Learn to pronounce
    noun
    the place where one lives permanently, especially as a member of a family or household.

I love when people blow a gasket about things they cannot control.

high-strung
    /ˈhī ˈˌstrəNG/
    adjective
    North American

adjective: high-strung

nervous and easily upset.

#38 4 years ago

With the newer Stern code, doesn't the games played and balls played stay consistent, instead of being able to be reset or wiped out with a code update?

#39 4 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

With the newer Stern code, doesn't the games played and balls played stay consistent, instead of being able to be reset or wiped out with a code update?

Not sure how that means anything.

You can tell a game has been at a show based upon the audits?

A show game may take a couple hundred games. That's NOTHING.

The first game I ever bought is an EM with a game counter. It's registered over 50,000 starts on it since I bought it in 2002.

#40 4 years ago

Since HUO is not something that you can prove with 100% certainty, it does not matter.

#41 4 years ago

HUO doesn't have much relevance any more, condition is king.

#42 4 years ago

Clearly the answer is NO ....its either Home use only or its NOT .... pretty simple, and yes as a buyer I do put value on whether or not its HUO....

#43 4 years ago

It doesn't really matter but sure why not. It's still owned and maintained by a home owner. A few hundred plays in one weekend at a show compared to a few hundred plays in a few months at home make no difference if maintained well. Routed games are generally maintained less since downtime is loss of revenue. They get more plays and operate in harsher conditions. Big difference but condition is more important. Some operators take good care of their games and some home owners do zero maintenance.

#44 4 years ago

Only thing that matters is if the game is LOO or not.

#45 4 years ago
    Quoted from luckymoey:

NIB show games from distributors sell for a $500+ discount for a reason. Saying a show game is HUO without at least sharing the fact is dishonest IMO.

The show discount is purely a sales tool Marco came up with and Stern approved. Has nothing to do with condition.

#46 4 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

Since HUO is not something that you can prove with 100% certainty, it does not matter.

Exactly. "Documented HUO" is also bogus. Receipts only prove who bought it first.

#47 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

A show isn't a location. Show games do not take damage, do not get beat up like route games. Having a game at a show or tournament for a couple days is child's play. It's nothing in the grand scheme of things. As long as you take care of it when you are moving it, the game will be zero percent worse off for the wear.
    It's really moot anyway. Call your game HUO. People who overshare on sale ads are inviting unneeded scrutiny and nit picking. If you say "Game is HUO except I took it to Allentown once" you deserve what you get (a lot of bullshit from the usual suspects).

Sometimes show games can rack up 400-800 plays in one weekend (at the shows I go to, anyway).

I've had (older pre-1990s) games come back with increased wear after the end of a show.

In a home environment, typically you wouldn't get nearly that many plays all in one shot.

Condition is king, and mileage/plays will make a difference no matter how well a game is maintained.

In general, it's usually best to offer details on the condition of the game and what's been done to it, rather than relying on specific terminology, since everyone seems to interpret the terminology slightly differently.

#48 4 years ago

We can argue if its bogus or not, but in most cases its not. What I have found is most people in this hobby are very honest, and straight forward. Clearly the most important thing is condition, but having the game in a home is very different than having it at a show or in a bar. I suspect the people who don't care are ones who route or bring their games to shows, and continue to think their game is still worth a premium. Its not very hard to understand what Home Use Only means.....

#49 4 years ago

Id say yes. When I hear HUO, I am mainly looking to see if it has been routed.

How many plays would a machine get at a show there?

#50 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

the same suspects that bash these pins up at shows and want the pin discounted 500.00 cause it was at a show.

There are 110 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-a-nib-huo-game-still-huo-if-you-take-it-to-a-show-to-the-freeplay-a?hl=smsteve and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.