• 38 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Mike_J
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170215_203214 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider 27dnast.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#40 7 years ago

I wouldn't over think the light boards too much... I've owned a WOZ for over two years without any light issues.

#49 7 years ago
Quoted from twenty84:

I have a WOZ 75 RR (new buffered boards) and a Hobbit SE. WOZ had probably been about the most trouble free game Ive had, that said the one repair was a bad light board that was replaced under warranty. My Hobbit had an issue where all light the lights would freeze up (i.e. the lights would stop changing color and just get stuck in one state). This was fixed only after all the light boards and the cables between them were replaced (also under warranty). Thus my experience was the Hobbit lighting was much more problematic, although my Hobbit issue is a very rare one and in both cases JJP was very helpful in sending out parts at their cost. One major disadvantage of the daisy chain system in WOZ is that if one board fails it will effect all the down stream lights. This can be fixed by bypassing the broken board and changing the settings to let the system know that board was removed.

You bought two JJP games... and both games had issues with the new light boards?

#55 7 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

If you are looking for a first pin no do not buy a WOZ. For the money you can buy 2 or three W/B 90s games that are far better for a first time buyer.You will hear WOZ fans tell you how deep the game is but because of that you will never see much of WOZ

I disagree with this too... WOZ is a killer pin. If you are remotely interested in it, buy it. Tons and tons of fun to play.

#60 7 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

I never said you had to spend money like a sailor on leave for a first game a JY or Terminator 2 could be had for the price of a WOZ

Why assume the OP doesn't have the money to spend on a WOZ? We're talking about the game... not the budget.

#71 7 years ago

I ended up buying a standard w/ shaker, along with BAC castle walls and tornado...don't regret it one bit. Actually ended up deciding that I liked the silver habitrails better. What I didn't like was the cheap plastic castle walls. But Matt at BAC hooked me up.

Personally, I wouldn't over think the choice. You really can't go wrong either way. For me, it really didn't come down to a budget choice... just a preference... and I'd make the same choice again.

#76 7 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

One thing I'd look out for is the 2.0 light boards. These are non serial, the latest updated, and the biggest selling point to buy (and even resell your machine down the line)

I'd have to disagree... I've talked to LTG about this. The older boards are fine... and there's no guarantee the 2.0 boards won't be problematic... just a few days ago someone posted that they had bought WOZ and TH with new 2.0 boards and both games had light board issues out of the box.

#79 7 years ago
Quoted from Radius118:

They are not fine.. They will never be fine... Perhaps they will work for several years. If they haven't failed, they *will* fail sometime down the road. With enough "on" time and play time, they will fail. Count on it. Plan on it. This is why JJP needs to come out with an update kit to update all of the older lamp board systems to the new 2.0 system.
I have also talked to LTG about this before I bought my standard. There are too many revisions of lamp boards to make a blanket statement that they are fine. LTG hasn't had any problems with his 7.5v buffered boards. Excellent for LTG. LOTS of other people have had lamp boards that are most definitely NOT fine.
Sure, one guy may have posted issues with 2.0 system, but it's not a continuously recurring trend with Hobbit games.
If you were to go buy a GB, your first question would be whether there was any insert ghosting or clearcoat issues.
When people who are informed go to buy a Woz the first question is about the lamp boards - among other issues the game has had.
I literally just got off the phone with JJP to order a couple of spare single LED boards since they seem to fail quite frequently - at least for me. $25 each. That's $25 to replace a *light bulb*
What happens when you can't buy them anymore? Do you think JJP is going to keep making them now that they have abandoned that system? I don't think so. Eventually there won't be any more to buy and then what?
I have said it many times, and I will say it again. JJP needs to introduce an update kit to update older serial lamp board systems to the parallel 2.0 system.

Right. And what will 2.0 owners do when JJP abandons those boards and moves on to another version? They'll be out of parts too? They're all screwed?

This notion that all non-2.0 owners are screwed is ill advised.

#93 7 years ago
Quoted from capguntrooper:

If it worries you all so badly that parts will not be able to be made in a few years then at $1,000 a pop I will start making them or some other company will. No need to "THE SKY IS FALLING" rant and rave over something that will most likely never happen.... all I am saying is, enjoy your WOZ.
P.S. When your WOZ fails to boot up one day, its more than likely your PCB cell battery died and needs replacing, begin rant on why JJP uses "disposable" batteries.

I agree with this. It's a shame when a few people start beating the drum of doom and gloom based on shaky facts and bold assumptions.

You'd think any non-2.0 WOZ is toxic.

Ridiculous... and it's completely unwarranted.

I just want to add: this notion that JJP is quickly drying up on parts for the 7.5v boards simply ain't true (if you believe the source: JJP)...and the notion that the JJP doesn't have the chips, that isn't true either.

Two ways you can look at this: you can choose to believe someone on a message board that has no true knowledge of what JJP really has, or you can pick up the phone and speak to Jack. Really it's your choice. Of course, you can choose not to believe Jack... that's your choice too. But choosing to believe a random poster on a forum that's spouting facts based on loose assumptions and gut feelings seems way riskier.

#95 7 years ago

. Edited because wrong information

#101 7 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

This whole discussion reminds me of when I was a kid and bought The Legend of Zelda cartridge for the NES. It was somewhat revolutionary at the time because it used a battery to save your progress instead of a password like other games (e.g., Metroid). I remember when I learned that the battery only had a 5 year life that I expressed frustration to my father. He laughed at me and said that I wouldn't be playing in 5 years anyway. Sure enough, after a few months, I had conquered both the main and secondary quests multiple times and moved on to other games. Later in life, I was able to download the original The Legend of Zelda and play again. People's feelings change, and technology has a way of making things happen.
Right now, I say WOZ will never leave my collection, but I have no idea how I'll feel in 5 years. At some point, all versions of the boards will stop working and replacements will be needed. Someone will offer something. I was more concerned with the USB dongle that has an encrypted code that you need to run the software. I remember asking about it in another thread and wondering how the pin would function if that dongle stopped working and JJP was out of business. I believe Lloyd responded and said something like, "the pinball community is full of creative people." There are a ton of WOZs out there owned by home collectors that will be kept in pristine condition. It is one of the greatest machines. There will be demand for it in the future, and somehow, people will find a way to have replacement parts.

Exactly. This goes without saying that JJP still has lots of replacement boards and maintains the capacity to repair boards that are no longer working.

This whole notion that JJP is lying isn't worth anyone's concern... worry about if it happens. Why sit around saying the sky is falling when it's not. There is zero proof not to believe JJP.

I strongly urge any one reading this thread with concerns to call up Jack and talk to him. Don't sit on this forum drawing conclusions from someone claiming to have a crystal ball. It's not worth your time.

Pinside can be a great place to glean information and make decisions... but you have to pick and choose what you take in and put into action.

#104 7 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

I think a lot of the concern is simply a natural part of a technology transition. We have moved from universally available bulbs available anywhere by a number of manufacturers to a specific proprietary board with (currently) a single source. Not that its a bad thing as there are lots of fantastic benifits gained from going this route.
Warranted or not, thats going to make some people uncomfortable as they see shifts in the design of those propetary boards.
It also goes to show how much people love and care about their WOZ's that they are looking forward to something that *might* break 10-20 years from now.
Edit:
Full Disclaimer: I'm in no way worried about the current or future state of my WOZ... i just think its an interesting convergence between tech trends and pinball.

Of course it's natural to be concerned... I agree with that... and we all love this game... I agree with that too. But, we can only then spread and pump information that we can confirm. My point is simply not to assume the worst based on posts on a message board... and drawing conclusions for gut calls and incomplete information isn't helpful. Call and talk to the guy that leads the company that makes the game. That's the source. If you can't trust the source, then , press the dooms day button.

Any game can go down with issues at any time. That's a fact. JJP, I believe, will continue to service all WOZ well into the future.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Spokane Valley, WA
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 9,800.00
Pinball Machine
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider 27dnast.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-75th-woz-worth-it-the-extra-money?tu=27dnast and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.