• 38 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Mike_J
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170215_203214 (resized).jpg
There are 115 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 7 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

This whole discussion reminds me of when I was a kid and bought The Legend of Zelda cartridge for the NES. It was somewhat revolutionary at the time because it used a battery to save your progress instead of a password like other games (e.g., Metroid). I remember when I learned that the battery only had a 5 year life that I expressed frustration to my father. He laughed at me and said that I wouldn't be playing in 5 years anyway. Sure enough, after a few months, I had conquered both the main and secondary quests multiple times and moved on to other games. Later in life, I was able to download the original The Legend of Zelda and play again. People's feelings change, and technology has a way of making things happen.
Right now, I say WOZ will never leave my collection, but I have no idea how I'll feel in 5 years. At some point, all versions of the boards will stop working and replacements will be needed. Someone will offer something. I was more concerned with the USB dongle that has an encrypted code that you need to run the software. I remember asking about it in another thread and wondering how the pin would function if that dongle stopped working and JJP was out of business. I believe Lloyd responded and said something like, "the pinball community is full of creative people." There are a ton of WOZs out there owned by home collectors that will be kept in pristine condition. It is one of the greatest machines. There will be demand for it in the future, and somehow, people will find a way to have replacement parts.

Exactly. This goes without saying that JJP still has lots of replacement boards and maintains the capacity to repair boards that are no longer working.

This whole notion that JJP is lying isn't worth anyone's concern... worry about if it happens. Why sit around saying the sky is falling when it's not. There is zero proof not to believe JJP.

I strongly urge any one reading this thread with concerns to call up Jack and talk to him. Don't sit on this forum drawing conclusions from someone claiming to have a crystal ball. It's not worth your time.

Pinside can be a great place to glean information and make decisions... but you have to pick and choose what you take in and put into action.

#102 7 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Exactly. This goes without saying that JJP still has lots of replacement boards and maintains the capacity to repair boards that are no longer working.
This whole notion that JJP is lying isn't worth anyone's concern... worry about if it happens. Why sit around saying the sky is falling when it's not. There is zero proof not to believe JJP.
I strongly urge any one reading this thread with concerns to call up Jack and talk to him. Don't sit on this forum drawing conclusions from someone claiming to have a crystal ball. It's not worth your time.

Quiet you! You are digging into my small fortune of repairing 1.xx light boards and selling upgrade kits.

#103 7 years ago

I think a lot of the concern is simply a natural part of a technology transition. We have moved from universally available bulbs available anywhere by a number of manufacturers to a specific proprietary board with (currently) a single source. Not that its a bad thing as there are lots of fantastic benifits gained from going this route.

Warranted or not, thats going to make some people uncomfortable as they see shifts in the design of those propetary boards.

It also goes to show how much people love and care about their WOZ's that they are looking forward to something that *might* break 10-20 years from now.

Edit:
Full Disclaimer: I'm in no way worried about the current or future state of my WOZ... i just think its an interesting convergence between tech trends and pinball.

#104 7 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

I think a lot of the concern is simply a natural part of a technology transition. We have moved from universally available bulbs available anywhere by a number of manufacturers to a specific proprietary board with (currently) a single source. Not that its a bad thing as there are lots of fantastic benifits gained from going this route.
Warranted or not, thats going to make some people uncomfortable as they see shifts in the design of those propetary boards.
It also goes to show how much people love and care about their WOZ's that they are looking forward to something that *might* break 10-20 years from now.
Edit:
Full Disclaimer: I'm in no way worried about the current or future state of my WOZ... i just think its an interesting convergence between tech trends and pinball.

Of course it's natural to be concerned... I agree with that... and we all love this game... I agree with that too. But, we can only then spread and pump information that we can confirm. My point is simply not to assume the worst based on posts on a message board... and drawing conclusions for gut calls and incomplete information isn't helpful. Call and talk to the guy that leads the company that makes the game. That's the source. If you can't trust the source, then , press the dooms day button.

Any game can go down with issues at any time. That's a fact. JJP, I believe, will continue to service all WOZ well into the future.

#105 7 years ago

hope the op got that answers he was looking for and is enjoying his machine!

#106 7 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

hope the op got that answers he was looking for and is enjoying his machine!

LOL... yeah I was wondering that too. Quite the derailment.

#107 7 years ago

Back on track...Yes, RR is worth every penny!

#108 7 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

This whole discussion reminds me of when I was a kid and bought The Legend of Zelda cartridge for the NES. It was somewhat revolutionary at the time because it used a battery to save your progress instead of a password like other games (e.g., Metroid). I remember when I learned that the battery only had a 5 year life that I expressed frustration to my father. He laughed at me and said that I wouldn't be playing in 5 years anyway. Sure enough, after a few months, I had conquered both the main and secondary quests multiple times and moved on to other games. Later in life, I was able to download the original The Legend of Zelda and play again. People's feelings change, and technology has a way of making things happen.
Right now, I say WOZ will never leave my collection, but I have no idea how I'll feel in 5 years. At some point, all versions of the boards will stop working and replacements will be needed. Someone will offer something. I was more concerned with the USB dongle that has an encrypted code that you need to run the software. I remember asking about it in another thread and wondering how the pin would function if that dongle stopped working and JJP was out of business. I believe Lloyd responded and said something like, "the pinball community is full of creative people." There are a ton of WOZs out there owned by home collectors that will be kept in pristine condition. It is one of the greatest machines. There will be demand for it in the future, and somehow, people will find a way to have replacement parts.

You were wrong about that 5 year battery life. A lot of original nes games still hold their save 30 years later.

#109 7 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

You were wrong about that 5 year battery life. A lot of original nes games still hold their save 30 years later.

Lol. I wasn't wrong. Nintendo was wrong. Overall, I wish I still had my NES. Crazy how much they are selling for, and I had some really unique games for it, including Golgo 13, where you smoked cigarettes to restore health.

1 week later
#110 7 years ago

Update:

RR 75th is home and is getting tons of play! Had to replace the ball lock coil and the IO board already but JJP was super helpful. Also, thanks to @KingPinGames! Awesome distributor.

My only minor complaint is that I have to pay for the return shipping for the busted IO board. I guess Amazon returns has spoiled me to expect prepaid return shipping.

Thanks to everyone for their input. It was super useful. It's my first pin and I'm already feeling comfortable tinkering and fixing the things that need minor adjustments.

Follow up question: Anybody have a link to a list of setup/tweaks for #WOZ? I'm wondering if there's anything i'm missing out on because I dont have something configured right.

#111 7 years ago
Quoted from zachsteffens:

Update:

Follow up question: Anybody have a link to a list of setup/tweaks for #WOZ? I'm wondering if there's anything i'm missing out on because I dont have something configured right.

Check to make sure your spinning house is opening up. Some times the alignment and power need to be adjusted to get it to work right.

I also had loose flipper coil stop brackets, check those as well.

#112 7 years ago

Congratulations Zach! Enjoy the hell out of it. Nothing quite like having your first pin, and getting comfortable tinkering with it is half the fun (and a necessary half, for sure).

#113 7 years ago

Congrats! It's still my favorite game. Often on woz the metal deflection bracket that directs ejected balls to shooter lane needs bent. If yours is ejecting balls on first try, don't worry about it. Enjoy.

#114 7 years ago

Congrats! Approaching a year and still playing mine regularly. Its the one pin that I always come back to... damn near pinperfection.

If nobody has suggested it yet; get a cliffy for the munchkin playfield. Since you already like to tinker it should be a breze for you to install and an opportunity to get more familiar with the assembly's.

#115 7 years ago
Quoted from zachsteffens:

My only minor complaint is that I have to pay for the return shipping for the busted IO board. I guess Amazon returns has spoiled me to expect prepaid return shipping..

Unfortunately, I don't believe there are many companies in any industry that can afford to do that.

I understand that a few of the Amazom benefits/perks will be put to pasture in the not too distant future, as too many buyers abuse their liberal policies.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Electronics
Skillshot Combo

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 24.50
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 5.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 91.00
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

13,000 (OBO)
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

There are 115 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-75th-woz-worth-it-the-extra-money/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.