• 38 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Mike_J
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170215_203214 (resized).jpg
There are 115 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 7 years ago

I've been toying with purchasing my first pin for about 6 months and I'm finally going to pull the trigger.
I'm on the fence between the Standard #WOZ and the 75th anniversary edition.

Questions I haven't discerned the answers to yet:
Is the invisiglass necessary?
Initially, I like the shaker motor, but does it get old?
Will the higher end version retain it's value at the same rate as a Standard?

Any other opinions are greatly appreciated.

Noob,
Zach

#2 7 years ago

It includes a shaker motor, invisiglass, printed manual, and all the playfield toys. For these reasons alone, yes it's worth the money. And yes, Invisiglass is amazing. Keep it clean (don't remove it with bare hands, or have some Sparkle glass cleaner on hand) and the name is true - it's more or less completely invisible.

Subjectively, the ruby red is beautiful, looks much better than the standard, and should also retain a higher asking price than the standard (though I would never sell mine).

I would recommend seeing what PinballSTAR sells their 75ths for. They tend to have really good prices and fast shipping. I bought my WoZRR from JJP directly and if I were to do it again, I'd go through PinballSTAR.

TLDR: Considering the cost of the bonus features, ignoring everything else, yes it's worth it.

#3 7 years ago

I have both a standard and a RR75 and the price difference is totally worth it if you have the money.

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from zachsteffens:

Can't speak to the rest of it, but anti-reflective glass is pretty damn awesome. So even if you buy the green WOZ, I'd still recommend getting high end glass (PDI is also $300 a sheet and gets slightly better reviews than Invisiglass, but I'd doubt the difference is worth the hassle if you could get the Invisiglass shipped with your WOZ).

You've probably put in plenty of time on WOZ already, but I see you're in Denver so if you haven't had a chance to play, I think there are green WOZs at both of the 1UP locations, always worth getting familiar with a game and being sure you like it before plunking down your money.

Good luck with your purchase!

#5 7 years ago

I've been toying with purchasing my first pin for about 6 months and I'm finally going to pull the trigger.
Noob,
Zach

Get a HUO 75th. Make sure it has the newer light boards. You're golden and have saved $1500 or more and no one will know the difference (you might even get nice mods the factory ones don't have).

#6 7 years ago

Noob,
Zach

First off, pinball machines are commercial revenue generating toys. They had never been intended to be investment vehicles. As of late, a few title have either gained value or not lost value. This of course depends on whether the pinball machine in question was purchased at accurate fair market value.

If you purchased a NIB 75th WOZ at full pop retail, and you chose to sell said machine after a few months of ownership, be prepared to price it to sell between 500-1000 less than purchase price.
If you purchased a used HUO 75th WOZ, at accurate fair market value, you will have more of a chance to resell machine at what you paid if you chose to resell that after a few months.

The same goes for a standard.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from TRAMD:

I have both a standard and a RR75 and the price difference is totally worth it if you have the money.

Ya know if space becomes an issue for you I'll gladly accept any pins that you have duplicates of.

#8 7 years ago

If you decide to go the HUO route consider posting in the CO buy/sell/trade thread (but be prepared to wait a few months or more until a suitable WOZ comes onto the local market, if you're willing to deal with shipping you could get one more quickly):
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colorado-whats-fsft

If you're going NIB, I'd also suggest contacting a couple of authorized dealers (if you haven't already) to see if you can get a break on price/shipping vs. the JJP website, you may be able to save a few hundred that way.

#9 7 years ago

Standards can be found for $6500-$7000, RR's $8000-8500. That's a big difference for what you're getting!

Have you considered a ECLE? They can be found in the low $7000's and includes the shaker and Invisiglass. They also have wood aprons and the beautiful direct print cabinets. The dark green powder coat looks better than the red, in my opinion.

Either way, WOZ is a legit game. Even after five years in the wild, it is the most packed and most developed game on the market!

#10 7 years ago

I absolutely love my RR and it is by far the best looking and fun pin to date. The standard is nice and all extras can be added of course, but the RR or ecle are pretty special machines. I say yes, it's worth it once you see both in person.

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

Standards can be found for $6500-$7000, RR's $8000-8500. That's a big difference for what you're getting!
Have you considered a ECLE? They can be found in the low $7000's and includes the shaker and Invisiglass. They also have wood aprons and the beautiful direct print cabinets. The dark green powder coat looks better than the red, in my opinion.
Either way, WOZ is a legit game. Even after four years in the wild, it is the most packed and most developed game on the market!

Where are you seeing standards for 6500 and ECLE for low 7s?

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Where are you seeing standards for 6500 and ECLE for low 7s?

I spent a few months looking about six months ago when I found mine. I was mainly looking in the Denver market, where OP is located. I found a couple standards just under $7k and some ECLE's just above $7k.

Deals will come up if you're patient.

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

I spent a few months looking about 6 months ago when I found mine. I was mainly looking in the Denver market, where OP is located. I found a couple standards just under $7k and some ECLE's just above $7k.
Deals will come up if you're patient.

Ok, thx, been quiet lately around my way. I'd like to trade my Smaug for an ECLE.

#14 7 years ago

This is all fantastic feedback. Thanks!
I was interested in the ECLE a few months back but my thoughts have shifted toward NIB for a few different reasons.

@fosaisu, I was just at 1Up colfax last weekend and played the Standard, but unfortunately it needed some love, right flipper was like a dead fish. That's an amazing pin bar though. I was overwhelmed. Also, thanks for the forsale/trade link. I'll keep my eye on that thread.

#15 7 years ago

The amount of enjoyment you will get out of your pinball experience is directly tied into the amount of money you spend - therefore, more $, more fun.

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from GotAQuestion:

(don't remove it with bare hands, or have some Sparkle glass cleaner on hand

Is that true? I always remove with bare hands but try just to touch the edges.

Anyway, put me in the camp of thinking the RR is worth it. I just think the powder coated armor is beautiful, not to mention the extra playfield bling. Throw in the shaker, printed manual, invisiglass -- definitely worth it. Invisiglass alone for this game makes a big difference.

#17 7 years ago

Ruby Red is worth the extra cash...DO IT!

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

Either way, WOZ is a legit game. Even after five years in the wild, it is the most packed and most developed game on the market!

But on the ECLE's you're playing light board roulette. A LOT of them have the old light boards that will eventually fail. It's $600-$800 to swap the boards out with the newer buffered boards, plus the time. Definitely a consideration.

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

But on the ECLE's you're playing light board roulette. A LOT of them have the old light boards that will eventually fail. It's $600-$800 to swap the boards out with the newer buffered boards, plus the time. Definitely a consideration.

Does JJP not provide warranty service on those boards anymore?

#20 7 years ago

I looked for several months before buying my fist pin, I'm very patient and always looking for "the right deal". I have done that with many toys over the years. I bought a RRWoZ last month. I went in just to have a look with my son and we were sold in 20 minutes. Invisaglass is awesome when looking at something that does not have it and the shaker motor really adds to the experience. I paid full pop for mine, expect to take some hit if I decide to sell, but that's not going to happen anytime soon. I do not regret this purchase. If you can do it, by all means do! The machine is awesome and put it in my office as a "work of art" . My office is much more entertaining now....

#21 7 years ago

I'm biased but yes and so is the ECLE. At first I was apprehensive spending so much, now I don't think about it and couldn't be happier.

#22 7 years ago

Apprehensive, HA! I said I would NEVER spend that much! Yet I did... and happy with the purchase. The dealer did say I have the next generation light boards so they should not be an issue.

#23 7 years ago

Yes, invisiglass is well worth it
Shaker never gets old, no brainer
I'll say no to the last question

Woz is a great pin, I've had a WOZECLE for a long time. I go in spurts of playing it now but its still a long term keeper.

Go with the look of the version you like most. Red or green? Can't go wrong.

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

These games have been out awhile now. For those that experienced the issue, JJP provided replacements. It's super easy to check if you were looking at one. Really a non issue if that's the WOZ version you prefer.

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Does JJP not provide warranty service on those boards anymore?

Nope. You get a break on a board swap, but it's not free anymore.

#26 7 years ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

These games have been out awhile now. For those that experienced the issue, JJP provided replacements. It's super easy to check if you were looking at one. Really a non issue if that's the WOZ version you prefer.

The machine I take care of on route didn't have a problem until last year - almost 3 years after it was made. And once they started failing, they kept failing one after the other. If you have an ECLE with the old boards or are considering buying one, you're never safe if it has the old boards. Could fail tomorrow or 3 years from tomorrow, but the old boards will fail, unless the machine is never played. If I was buying an ECLE, I'd factor in a $600-800 eventual total board swap into the purchase price if it has the old boards.

#27 7 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

The machine I take care of on route didn't have a problem until last year - almost 3 years after it was made. And once they started failing, they kept failing one after the other. If you have an ECLE with the old boards or are considering buying one, you're never safe if it has the old boards. Could fail tomorrow or 3 years from tomorrow, but the old boards will fail, unless the machine is never played. If I was buying an ECLE, I'd factor in a $600-800 eventual total board swap into the purchase price if it has the old boards.

If you factor that in almost better off going nib at least then you get new version of boards.

#28 7 years ago

Ruby. Congratulations on deciding to get the greatest pinball masterpiece of the game.

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from Schabs81:

If you factor that in almost better off going nib at least then you get new version of boards.

But you miss out on the super-sexy direct printed cabinet on the ECLE. THAT is what makes the decision tough. The cabinet is beautiful on the ECLEs.

#30 7 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Is that true? I always remove with bare hands but try just to touch the edges.

It won't damage it in any way, I just find that marks or oil from hands on invisiglass is WAY more visible than on normal glass. Which is why I keep Sparkle on hand.

#31 7 years ago

Maybe dumb question, but I was told my WOZ RR had the new boards, December 2015 Build date, but how can I confirm visually?

#32 7 years ago

20170215_203214 (resized).jpg20170215_203214 (resized).jpg

#33 7 years ago
Quoted from ramsfan:

Maybe dumb question, but I was told my WOZ RR had the new boards, December 2015 Build date, but how can I confirm visually?

Here's a link to the original pinside post with picture and explanation.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/next-pin-buy-advice/page/2#post-3568442

#34 7 years ago

BTW... it appears that WOZ machines built after december of 2016 (so basically this years WOz build) will be including an all new light system (v2.0) based on their current lighting boards which should be even more reliable than the buffered boards.

That being said, I wouldn't really worry about the buffered boards either. I have an ECLE that was built with them and they are perfectly fine. I think the biggest plus to V2.0 is the lights are no longer daisy chained so if one goes out it doesn't knock out everything downstream.

#35 7 years ago

I would be interested in seeing 2.0 version boards

#36 7 years ago

Lots of details about WOZ 2.0 lighting starts in section E7 of the new manual on JJP's site.

#37 7 years ago

It won't damage it in any way, I just find that marks or oil from hands on invisiglass is WAY more visible than on normal glass. Which is why I keep Sparkle on hand.

Ok. Got it. You are right. My thumbs rest on the glass by the rails when I play so there is always a mark there. I have a bottle of Sparkle nearby as well that I use regularly.

#38 7 years ago

Funny. What drew me initially to the WoZ was the direct print cabinet. Saw it for the first time at Expo. It is very different than any other prints on cabinets. That coupled with the wood apron makes me still lean towards the WoZLE. That is what I would shop for. I know this isn't your question, but might be worth pondering. Otherwise I would go with the RR for sure over the standard. I think the RR is worth the extra $.

#39 7 years ago

Here's a HUO 75th Anniversary. Decent discount plus it has a bunch of mods installed, worth considering if you're willing to ship or drive to Reno ...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-saletrade-wizard-of-oz-rr-75th-anniversary-huo-wmods

#40 7 years ago

I wouldn't over think the light boards too much... I've owned a WOZ for over two years without any light issues.

#41 7 years ago

It includes a shaker motor, invisiglass, printed manual, and all the playfield toys. For these reasons alone, yes it's worth the money. And yes, Invisiglass is amazing. Keep it clean (don't remove it with bare hands, or have some Sparkle glass cleaner on hand) and the name is true - it's more or less completely invisible.
Subjectively, the ruby red is beautiful, looks much better than the standard, and should also retain a higher asking price than the standard (though I would never sell mine).
I would recommend seeing what PinballSTAR sells their 75ths for. They tend to have really good prices and fast shipping. I bought my WoZRR from JJP directly and if I were to do it again, I'd go through PinballSTAR.
TLDR: Considering the cost of the bonus features, ignoring everything else, yes it's worth it.

Thanks for the kind words... We always do try to have great pricing, games pre-bought in stock or ready to go at factory so no wait / quick shipping, and excellent service / communication before and after the sale... Equally pleased this post came from someone who isn't even a customer yet - very cool.. We work hard and do alot in the pinball community - huge booths at shows, parties, charity work, donations of prizes to tournaments, etc... so thank you... : )

We are distributors for JJP (WOZ, Hobbit, Dialed In), Planetary Pinball (MMR, upcoming AFMR), Spooky Pinball (AMH, RZ, and upcoming #3), VP Cabs (Vertigo, Wizard, Mini), Chicago Gaming (Arcade Legends, etc...)

Email us for our current for sale price list - super dooper lower than ever pricing going on now on Hobbits for a short time while current supplies last !

Joe Newhart
PinballSTAR Amusements
[email protected]

#42 7 years ago

Anyone with 2.0 version boards have issues?

#43 7 years ago

No light issues yet, but I've only had it a month!

#44 7 years ago

I think that would be a question for Hobbit owners as the WOZ 2.0 system is basically the Hobbit system adapted for WOZ. I have not heard of any major issues with the Hobbit system and I'm assuming they are sticking with it for Dialed In as well so should be golden.

#45 7 years ago

My neighbor came over last night to check my machine out. One of the first this he asked was "does it have glass on it? Nuf said on the invisiglass....

#46 7 years ago

Do all early production (numbered units) of RR come with the buffered 7.5 boards?

#47 7 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

I think that would be a question for Hobbit owners as the WOZ 2.0 system is basically the Hobbit system adapted for WOZ. I have not heard of any major issues with the Hobbit system and I'm assuming they are sticking with it for Dialed In as well so should be golden.

I have a WOZ 75 RR (new buffered boards) and a Hobbit SE. WOZ had probably been about the most trouble free game Ive had, that said the one repair was a bad light board that was replaced under warranty. My Hobbit had an issue where all light the lights would freeze up (i.e. the lights would stop changing color and just get stuck in one state). This was fixed only after all the light boards and the cables between them were replaced (also under warranty). Thus my experience was the Hobbit lighting was much more problematic, although my Hobbit issue is a very rare one and in both cases JJP was very helpful in sending out parts at their cost. One major disadvantage of the daisy chain system in WOZ is that if one board fails it will effect all the down stream lights. This can be fixed by bypassing the broken board and changing the settings to let the system know that board was removed.

#48 7 years ago
Quoted from Guzz4851:

Do all early production (numbered units) of RR come with the buffered 7.5 boards?

No. The early ones don't have them.

#49 7 years ago
Quoted from twenty84:

I have a WOZ 75 RR (new buffered boards) and a Hobbit SE. WOZ had probably been about the most trouble free game Ive had, that said the one repair was a bad light board that was replaced under warranty. My Hobbit had an issue where all light the lights would freeze up (i.e. the lights would stop changing color and just get stuck in one state). This was fixed only after all the light boards and the cables between them were replaced (also under warranty). Thus my experience was the Hobbit lighting was much more problematic, although my Hobbit issue is a very rare one and in both cases JJP was very helpful in sending out parts at their cost. One major disadvantage of the daisy chain system in WOZ is that if one board fails it will effect all the down stream lights. This can be fixed by bypassing the broken board and changing the settings to let the system know that board was removed.

You bought two JJP games... and both games had issues with the new light boards?

#50 7 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

You bought two JJP games... and both games had issues with the new light boards?

Correct. Both are now working fine though.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 16.95
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 115 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-75th-woz-worth-it-the-extra-money/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.