• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

LM323K_pinout.png
Untitled (resized).png
#1 3 years ago

My Seawitch is producing 5.5v at the 5v test point. Should I be concerned that it is too high? If so what would cause something like this to happen? Thanks for any input.

#2 3 years ago

The TTL logic limits are 4.75V - 5.25V. So you are out of specs.

There are many reasons for that. Check your ground connections, and especially that the voltage regulator mounting screws at the driver board heat sink are tight.

#3 3 years ago

Yes it is too high and a fairly chronic condition in these old bally/stern games. They juice up the regulator output and I have wondered if it contributes to MPU IC failure, specially the stressed out U15 chip and others like the complete oscillators on my replacement MPU. I have seen some come in at 5.6- 5.8vdc. A lot of people probably never check it and its been like that for years.

On the SDB cut out R49 and recheck voltage. If it is still not under 5.25vdc jumper over top of R50. That should bring you down into good range.
Untitled (resized).pngUntitled (resized).png

#4 3 years ago

Thanks barakandl! I did not remember Bally used those resistors on voltager regulator, and just thought that if the regulator does not have a solid ground connection it will rise the output voltage.

But as said, I would definitely cut out R49 and short R50. The regulator then gives out 5.0 volts - enough for everything. Cranking the regulator for more output is not a proper way to handle voltage loss at bad connectors.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Yes it is too high and a fairly chronic condition in these old bally/stern games. They juice up the regulator output and I have wondered if it contributes to MPU IC failure, specially the stressed out U15 chip and others like the complete oscillators on my replacement MPU. I have seen some come in at 5.6- 5.8vdc. A lot of people probably never check it and its been like that for years.
On the SDB cut out R49 and recheck voltage. If it is still not under 5.25vdc jumper over top of R50. That should bring you down into good range.
[quoted image]

Thank you. I did both of those and it is down to about 5.38. Better than it was at least.

#6 3 years ago

It is still a bit on the high side. I would replace the regulator.

#7 3 years ago

This must be fairly common. My F2k was also high, but clipping the one resistor brought it into spec.

#8 3 years ago

Resistors R49 and R50 are there to bump up the output voltage a little to presumably account for voltage losses in connectors.

Assume the LM323 outputs a perfect 5.00 volts between its pin 2 and 3, R50 and R49 increases the output voltage with this simplified equation:
Vout = 5.00 * (1+ (R2/R1))
Vout = 5.00 * (1 + (R50 / R49))

Bally and Stern use a 100 ohm resistor at R49.
Bally uses a 2.2 ohm resistor at R50
Stern uses a 4.7 ohm resistor at R50

Therefore a Bally board based on the above formula will output around 5.11 volts
A Stern board based on the above formula will output around 5.23 volts

Tolerance on the LM323K is 5% so some parts will output 5.25 volts.
Using Sterns resistors, with a LM323K outputting max 5.25 volts and the above equation gives us a total output of 5.49 volts.

Measure the 5V rail on the MPU board, you'll probably find it's a little lower than the solenoid driver board.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Resistors R49 and R50 are there to bump up the output voltage a little to presumably account for voltage losses in connectors.
Assume the LM323 outputs a perfect 5.00 volts between its pin 2 and 3, R50 and R49 increases the output voltage with this simplified equation:
Bally and Stern use a 100 ohm resistor at R49.
Bally uses a 2.2 ohm resistor at R50
Stern uses a 4.7 ohm resistor at R50
Therefore a Bally board based on the above formula will output around 5.11 volts
A Stern board based on the above formula will output around 5.23 volts
Tolerance on the LM323K is 5% so some parts will output 5.25 volts.
Using Sterns resistors, with a LM323K outputting max 5.25 volts and the above equation gives us a total output of 5.49 volts.
Measure the 5V rail on the MPU board, you'll probably find it's a little lower than the solenoid driver board.

Thanks. I will check that tonight.

#10 3 years ago

barakandl Quench I've added the LM323 voltage adjust info to the PinWiki, betting that Andrew wouldn't mind me using the image in this thread.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.ChrisHiblerPinball.com/Contact ... for board repairs
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

barakandl quench I've added the LM323 voltage adjust info to the PinWiki, betting that Andrew wouldn't mind me using the image in this thread.
--
http://www.ChrisHiblerPinball.com/Contact ... for board repairs
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

that is fine.

I am guessing when R50 starts to burn is when the voltage creeps up towards 6vdc. It happens on the Bally boards too.

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Argh, it might help if I refer to the resistor numbers in this circuit instead of the datasheets. So in this case the formula is:

Quoted from ChrisHibler:

I've added the LM323 voltage adjust info to the PinWiki

Thanks Chris, can you update the formula on PinWiki?

#13 3 years ago

Can you guys answer this: is there a way to bench test that lm323 using a 12v power supply?
Thanks

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from Tomass:

is there a way to bench test that lm323 using a 12v power supply?

Do you want to test the LM323 on the solenoid driver board or as a loose component?

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Do you want to test the LM323 on the solenoid driver board or as a loose component?

Loose. The one in a different board but it is likely fake (as you pointed out I believe) so I would like to test one to see if it works before swapping it out.

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from Tomass:

is there a way to bench test that lm323 using a 12v power supply?

Hook up ground to the LM323 casing and the 12V wire to the input leg as per below. You should measure 5 volts between the casing and the output pin.
However this tests it without a load and generally fake Chinese parts will pass this test.
A fake part I was testing a few years ago shutdown when I put a load drawing somewhere around 1.4 amps from memory. I suspect they are really 1.0 amp parts.

I use high watt, low ohm resistors as a load. You could probably use a couple of #44 incandescent lamps in parallel. They're usually rated to 0.3 amps at 6.3 volts. At 5 volts they'll probably draw around 0.24 amps.
The LM323 is spec'd to deliver a maximum of 3.0 amps continuous (on a heatsink).

LM323K_pinout.pngLM323K_pinout.png
#17 3 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Hook up ground to the LM323 casing and the 12V wire to the input leg as per below. You should measure 5 volts between the casing and the output pin.
However this tests it without a load and generally fake Chinese parts will pass this test.
A fake part I was testing a few years ago shutdown when I put a load drawing somewhere around 1.4 amps from memory. I suspect they are really 1.0 amp parts.
I use high watt, low ohm resistors as a load. You could probably use a couple of #44 incandescent lamps in parallel. They're usually rated to 0.3 amps at 6.3 volts. At 5 volts they'll probably draw around 0.24 amps.
The LM323 is spec'd to deliver a maximum of 3.0 amps continuous (on a heatsink).[quoted image]

Thanks. I will see what I come up with tonight. I appreciate you taking the time to explain all this. Have a nice day!

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Argh, it might help if I refer to the resistor numbers in this circuit instead of the datasheets. So in this case the formula is:

Thanks Chris, can you update the formula on PinWiki?

Yep. I was going to update that anyway.

Http://chrishiblerpinball.com/contact
http://www.PinWiki.com/ - The new place for pinball repair info

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from Tuukka:

The TTL logic limits are 4.75V - 5.25V. So you are out of specs.
There are many reasons for that. Check your ground connections, and especially that the voltage regulator mounting screws at the driver board heat sink are tight.

That is true. However, the true check should be at the vcc on the ttl chips themselves. The test points in most games (vids/pins) are usually always high because they are taken at the source under no load or voltage/cable drop. They are there as a quick raw measurement.

You really need to measure the 5v at the components that need 5v to run, (ttl, etc) then determine if its in the range for that chip to operate in this case 4.75-5.25v. In the end it is that voltage that really matters.

Often times the number will be significantly lower depending on drop/distance, traces etc.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 199.95
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 45.00
Pinball Machine
Wall To Wall Pinball

4,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clermont, FL
3,100 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu

$ 300.00
Cabinet Parts
Fantastic Pinball Inc.

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 3.00
$ 55.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 10.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-55v-logic-too-much?hl=arcane and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.