(Topic ID: 40110)

Is $3,800 for new Stern pro's a "good" price?

By AbacusMan

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Gexchange
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Is $3,800 for new Stern pro's a "good" price?”

(0 votes)

#1 6 years ago

Just wanted to see what you guys think. I give an operator $1,200 to buy a NIB pinball machine every so often to put it in my area. When I first asked him "Yo, when do you guys buy the new stuff?" They said "We don't. $5,000 at fifty cents with a profit split would take forever to pay off"

Now I make it a little bit more easy to pay it off.

I do think that if NIB pro prices were low enough, I think a huge boom could be happening right now.

#2 6 years ago

So you subsidize the pinball in your community? I think that's what you're saying. Pretty cool thing to do.

#3 6 years ago

Regardless of price. boom been happening here for about 3 years or so.

Maybe you need to move a little closer to portland or seattle. =)

#4 6 years ago

Would you move to my area please ?

LTG : )

#5 6 years ago

Subsidize Lloyds income.....

#6 6 years ago

I have changed my town putting games in this area from the operator I hang out with. He even gave me the keys to the games so I can fix them if something goes wrong. It saves him a 5 hour drive. He does a really good job shopping the game out, so I don't have to do much.

#7 6 years ago

A few of us can save him some money too on games. Have him reach out to a few other dealers.

#8 6 years ago

The thought process is pretty flawed. If the pinball dropped to $0 value the day it was stuck on route then it makes sense to say "$5000 would take too long to pay off". But the games hold value pretty well especially if maintained. So keep if a few years and profit. Then sell and recoup most the initial investment.

#9 6 years ago

5k for NIB sounds a bit high, but 3.8k sounds better. 3k sounds great. 2.5k, buying all day!
    I never really thought of myself as a pinball subsidizer. Are there other like me?

#10 6 years ago

If you do not get a cut of the profits then I doubt there is any others like you.

So you give him 1200 per title and you play for free but you help maintain the machines and get no profits??

Do you want the guest bedroom it is available.

#11 6 years ago

I'll take a NIB for 3.8k

#12 6 years ago

"So you give him 1200 per title and you play for free but you help maintain the machines and get no profits??
    Do you want the guest bedroom it is available."

I pay to play, no profits, no cost for labor and $1,200 for NIB.

If you get me a job lined up, I might think about it.

#13 6 years ago

I subsidize my local games...50 or 75 cents a time....and have put some on location to collect my 50 cents back once inawhile...

#14 6 years ago

what is the poll question? yes I would buy if around 3K and buy 2 at 2K, new for all to play...if they have quarters.

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from AbacusMan:

Do you at least have first right to take it off his hands when he is ready to get rid of it? (hopefully at a discount, as well, since you already paid for part of it.)

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from AbacusMan:

"So you give him 1200 per title and you play for free but you help maintain the machines and get no profits??
    Do you want the guest bedroom it is available."

LOL your job would be pay me 1200 per title and help keep mine up and running when I have to go to real job! If I go JJP and Stern games you are renting my spare room for around 600 a month plus keeping up on my pins =)

Once the rest of the house fills though you are going to the green house sorry you understand right buddy. I kid I kid just a crazy situation you got going there. Why were you not around when I had things on route =) Profits would be a snap regardless of location if your paying 1200 of my machine with no upside.

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from AbacusMan:

2.5k, buying all day!

For that amount Stern offers something like "The Pin"!!

#18 6 years ago

I am looking at buying 3 new in box games and even for all 3 I could not get for $3800. Realistic number is between $4100-$4200. At .50-yes it will take a long time to pay off-mabye raise to .75 a game. It sounds interesting that you give thousands of dollars to operator-does that give you free play or just pins to play near your home. I would build my own collection-unless you are limited in space?

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from AbacusMan:

Just wanted to see what you guys think. I give an operator $1,200 to buy a NIB pinball machine every so often to put it in my area.

why?

#20 6 years ago

A lot of ops can offer to business owners a guarantee, or no split until the machine is paid for. That is common around here.

As far as pricing, many area ops/distributors are dealers as well, and get pricing comparable

#21 6 years ago

Your one heck of a nice guy. At $0.75 a game you would have to play it 1600 times to break even on that investment. Would this be considered a charitable donation and something you could write off on your taxes?

#22 6 years ago

What if they get to ocheap and so many people buy for their house that no one wants to go out and play on route as much?

#23 6 years ago

I think $1 per game and $3/2 is the way to go these days. And install a bill acceptor.

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from jonnyo:

I think $1 per game and $3/2 is the way to go these days. And install a bill acceptor.

Really Depends on your market.. Some markets that pricing will work.. others it wont. But I do agree with a BA for sure!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    € 27.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    YOYOKOPTER MODS
    $ 45.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 7.65
    Cabinet Parts
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 85.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 15.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Pin Monk
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    MI Pinball Refinery
    Hardware
    Pinball Haus
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 26.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 19.99
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Great American Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 445.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    MI Pinball Refinery
    $ 9.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 4.95
    $ 20.00
    Lighting - Other
    Professor Pinball
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside