(Topic ID: 40788)

Is $2550 a fair price for Demolition Man?

By LordCrom

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 61 posts
  • 43 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by kvan99
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

030.JPG
026.JPG
Demo_Man_Sold_001.JPG
Demo_Man_2_005.JPG
Demo_Man_Shop_Completed_011.JPG

There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 7 years ago

Got my tax return in and have $2400 to play with. I want a Creature from the Black Lagoon or White Water, but it seems they might be out of my price range. Is $2550 a fair price for a Demolition Man in good condition?

#3 7 years ago

I would think that is top of the line great condition for DM. I would expect to see most of them in the 1800-2000 range at your location.

#4 7 years ago

That's high. For $2K you should be able to get a fantastic one

#6 7 years ago

Seems a bit steep. 1500-1800 is more like it.

#7 7 years ago

One moved by me last week for 1500sh, LEDd out and all, it was in great shape

#8 7 years ago

The game is located in Michigan and includes free shipping. Guessing the shipping really isn't free at that price

#9 7 years ago

So in answer to your question ... No.

#10 7 years ago

2.5k seems right for the west coast

#11 7 years ago

I used to own one, fun for awhile but can get old quick in a small collection, unless you don't really care about game depth.
At that price range I'd be seeking out something more complex, like maybe Funhouse. Just my thoughts.

#12 7 years ago

No, that's way too much unless it's NOS or HUO or something.

If you want a demo man, you should be able to find a really nice one well under $2k.

#13 7 years ago

One listed on ebay for 1800 in Hollywood FL.

#14 7 years ago

I watched them for about six months last year until I got one. $1,800 was the normal price. Missed one at $1,500. $2,200 came up some but they were the super crazy restored ones. So yes it is okay if it is a 100%, restored, new decals and stuff one.

I traded HS2 for mine. I haven't looked back.

#15 7 years ago

There was a DM in SoCal in pretty good shape that sat forever at less than $2k and down to $1500 before the seller finally just parted it out. I believe they are still trying to move the empty cabinet So paying that kind of price is not what I'd advise. Not only that, but it is better to see what you are buying in person if possible.

It is getting hard to find anything cheap in SoCal thanks to our friends the Flippers! Some of them reside on this very forum advertising their LED'd, wiped clean games at prices that are just crazy. That said, there is some stuff floating around. There is a JP out near me that you could probably get for under $2k and that is a much better game than DM! PM me for details on that one if you are interested and good luck out there!!!

#16 7 years ago

If you got $2400, I'd put that money toward a real nice Judge Dredd or Roadshow instead. Which IMHO both those games are also Superpin's but a notch above DM.

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from robx46:

If you got $2400, I'd put that money toward a real nice Judge Dredd or roadshow instead. Which IMHO both those games are also Superpin's but a notch above DM.

I've owned them all. They are all great, but very different. DM is a super flow machine, and the sounds and light show is great in MB mode. I love them all and regret selling DM to fund my LOTR at the time (I could have and should have done it without selling DM...).

In good condition, I would say $1,800. With things like handles redone, LEDs, and other perks, you would only go up from there.

#18 7 years ago

$1000 over priced. Mr. Pinball has it at $1575, and even that I consider generous considering how badly Stallone will be glaring at you

#19 7 years ago

No. About $1600 would be about right.

#20 7 years ago

dude take your time I started my search in Jan and bought in Feb. With spring cleaning time coming soon you may see some pop up fairly cheap.

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from Tommi_Gunn:

2.5k seems right for the west coast

I agree. It is.

Yes, I own one, so people will accuse me of bias. But that also means that I know what I paid on the west coast for a nice one, and it was just a tad below $2500.00.

Even at $2500.00 it is a bargain compared to what so many other DMD's are selling for these days.

Quoted from dapperdan24:

There was a DM in SoCal in pretty good shape that sat forever at less than $2k and down to $1500 before the seller finally just parted it out.

That's a contradictory statement. Why would someone part out a DM if it was in good shape? A good shape DM would sell very quickly in SoCal at $1500.00 and you'd have people fighting to get there first.

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballrus:

That's high. For $2K you should be able to get a fantastic one

I just sold mine for $2000 and it was immaculate. No lockdown bar holes on cabinet, perfect playfield, shiny ramps, flippers rebuilt, LEDs and modded lighting Addons, alt translite and regular both included, powder coated blue, mike chestnut rechromed handles. And I'm on west coast where prices are higher. Hope that helps put things into perspective.

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I just sold mine for $2000 and it was immaculate. No lockdown bar holes on cabinet, perfect playfield, shiny ramps, flippers rebuilt, LEDs and modded lighting Addons, alt translite and regular both included, powder coated blue, mike chestnut rechromed handles. And I'm on west coast where prices are higher. Hope that helps put things into perspective.

Oregon is not SoCal. Pin prices are higher in SoCal. Wish you were selling that DM when I was looking!

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from LordCrom:

Is $2550 a fair price for a Demolition Man in good condition?

NO...

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Oregon is not SoCal. Pin prices are higher in SoCal. Wish you were selling that DM when I was looking!

Actually, I don't think they are. I browse the sf bay, la, Portland, and Seattle craigslists and all seem pretty close in price ranges.

#26 7 years ago

Picked one up at the beginning of the month for $1525, had to LED it out myself, needed some work. But otherwise I lucked out, game was in pretty nice condition after we cleaned it up.

#27 7 years ago

Simply put hell no !! Sold my cftbl for 2900 you should get a lot more for 2.5 then demo man

#28 7 years ago

Overpriced unless it is like new condition.

#29 7 years ago

Considering 11 sold on ebay in 2012 (through 11.21.12 avg price of $1619) per Boston Pinball guide and everyone knows Ebay is high, then YES, $2550 is WAY TOO HIGH!!!!

Unless somehow miraculously DM has gone up a ton in the past 3 months??? DM is a $1500 game when in decent condition and 100% working.

#30 7 years ago

add a few hundred and you might be able to get a players - CFTBL if you are lucky!

p

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from tpn2011:

Simply put hell no !! Sold my cftbl for 2900 you should get a lot more for 2.5 then demo man

Wow, I hate that I missed that one.

#32 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Considering 11 sold on ebay in 2012 (through 11.21.12 avg price of $1619) per Boston Pinball guide and everyone knows Ebay is high, then YES, $2550 is WAY TOO HIGH!!!!
Unless somehow miraculously DM has gone up a ton in the past 3 months??? DM is a $1500 game when in decent condition and 100% working.

If that guide shows prices even higher than they should be, then will somebody please sell me thier BSD for $1300? Anyone?

#33 7 years ago
Quoted from robx46:

If that guide shows prices even higher than they should be, then will somebody please sell me thier BSD for $1300? Anyone?

Or how about a MB for $4,736 or MM for $7,013

#34 7 years ago
Quoted from LordCrom:

The game is located in Michigan and includes free shipping. Guessing the shipping really isn't free at that price

Yeah not at all. That game would never sell anything near that in Michigan.

#35 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

That's a contradictory statement. Why would someone part out a DM if it was in good shape? A good shape DM would sell very quickly in SoCal at $1500.00 and you'd have people fighting to get there first.

Fair enough I suppose Rob. I never saw the machine in person, so it could have been less than nice. I just know that I watched it sit for a long time. I actually emailed the seller on it, but went a different direction. To be fair, this was also six or so months ago and quite honestly, the market has changed in that time.

#36 7 years ago
Quoted from LordCrom:

Is $2550 a fair price for a Demolition Man in good condition?

If you're the seller, yes.

#37 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Yes, I own one, so people will accuse me of bias.

If anyone want to make pinball investments just buy any machine in RobT's collection. Haha

#38 7 years ago
Quoted from robx46:

I am not sure what you are talking about, but 2012 avg for BSD = 1,686 and only 9 sales plus that game seems to be going up in popularity.

Quoted from absocountry2:

Or how about a MB for $4,736 or MM for $7,013

MB shows as $8,473 for 2012 avg

MM shows as $12293 for 2012 avg

??? reading comprehension fail ???

#39 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I am not sure what you are talking about, but 2012 avg for BSD = 1,686 and only 9 sales plus that game seems to be going up in popularity.

Even in that case, are you saying that $1686 is a higher than average price for a decent BSD? So $1500 is about right after adjustment? OK then, somebody please sell me a decent BSD for $1500. Anyone?

#40 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

It was not a reading comprehension fail. I use the 84 month average because it is closer to what I normally see. It is the price(avg of price) five columns to the left of the price you use(YTD). It is the first price listed on the summary. I do not use the YTD because I am not going to get caught up in the silly prices. The five year average is a more stable price to use IMO. Feel free to use any facts you want but if you actulally read you will see my posted numbers are there.

The one thing the summary does not take into account is location like I mentioned in my first post. DM is not even a $1,200 pin here. I bought a DM a few months a go for $1000 that sat on CL for a few months. I did not have room but decided to go take a look to see the condition. It ended up being a HUO DM with 600 plays. The eye is there and everything. it was all inside the cabinet unused. I did not have room for it but the guy wanted it gone and nobody else wanted to spend $1200. He told me to take it for $1000 so I did. The game is the cleanest DM I have ever seen so I decided to keep it and sell somthing else.

Last week I saw a T2 and a Doctor Who both in pretty nice condition go for less than $1500 for both. I moved a MM for $5000 within the past year. Basically location means a lot. So it does not matter what price you want to use unless you consider the location.

To answer the original OP question, That is top of the price for a DM but like RobT said, that is what they go for there. Here the same machine would be $1000. Any price between would be possible. My original post I said 1800-2000 in his location andI still stand by that price without seeing the pin.

#41 7 years ago

I sold mine for $ 1850.00 , Shop'd , Flame Polished ramps, Full Led Treatment , etc ...

// Error: Image 76521 not found // // Error: Image 76522 not found // // Error: Image 76523 not found // Demo_Man_Shop_Completed_011.JPG Demo_Man_2_005.JPG Demo_Man_Sold_001.JPG 026.JPG 030.JPG

#42 7 years ago
Quoted from absocountry2:

I use the 84 month average because it is closer to what I normally see. It is the price(avg of price) five columns to the left of the price you use(YTD).

So yo uthink that pin prices have been stable for the last seven years? thats what the 84 month average is. A much, much better and more accurate estimate is the last year or 12 month average. That still can be a little behind current market but much better than 84 month. Also the list is 3 months old at this point.

#43 7 years ago

Abso>> if you really think you have a chance in hell of finding "MB for $4,736 or MM for $7,013" unless they are beat up shells of their former self then there is really no piont in even discussing price of pins with you.

Robx >> I was trying to point out to you that on average ebay prices are higher than can be found elsewhere (hence the recent Boston pin prices should typically be higher then you would expect to pay on most "normal titles".

However, when you take an example like BSD which has only sold 9 times in the past 12 months on ebay and combine it with the fact that it seems to have a recent rise in popularity, then even 4 months past the last Boston pin price calculation, you will likely have a tougher time finding a high demand game with obviously less supply for a cheaper price. In other words, good luck on your search for a $1300 BSD but don;t hold your breath.

#44 7 years ago
Quoted from Jdawg4422:

So yo uthink that pin prices have been stable for the last seven years? thats what the 84 month average is. A much, much better and more accurate estimate is the last year or 12 month average. That still can be a little behind current market but much better than 84 month. Also the list is 3 months old at this point.

+1 You can not use an 84 month average and expect it to be even remotely accurate.....in fact it's entirely useless for any SS machines.

It might have a tiny bit of value for EM's since they don't sell on a regular basis and the pricing is a little more stable....but even then it's just a low end ballpark.

#45 7 years ago

Supermint, restored DM, with cc'd pf, with leds, with chrome side rails and lockdown bar, no broken ramps or plastics, new eyeball, new cars, plastic protectors, perfect cab, matching boards, original manual, etc = $2900-3000.
If pf needs repair subtract $500
If cab/bb is faded needs repair or has flaws subtract $400
If plastics are broken subtract $150
If handles are worn subtract $100
Ramps broken subtract $200
If claw does not work subtract $100

Ymmv,
Jeremy

#46 7 years ago

Demo man is solid at $1600 all day. If you see one for 2K just wait.

#47 7 years ago
Quoted from pincredible:

Supermint, restored DM, with cc'd pf, with leds, with chrome side rails and lockdown bar, no broken ramps or plastics, new eyeball, new cars, plastic protectors, perfect cab, matching boards, original manual, etc = $2900-3000.
If pf needs repair subtract $500
If cab/bb is faded needs repair or has flaws subtract $400
If plastics are broken subtract $150
If handles are worn subtract $100
Ramps broken subtract $200
If claw does not work subtract $100
Ymmv,
Jeremy

I'd say if playfield is perfect but not clear coated subtract $500. If playfield actually needs repair, subtract $1000-$1500.

#48 7 years ago
Quoted from exflexer:

Demo man is solid at $1600 all day. If you see one for 2K just wait.

Right. Every other pin on the planet has gone up in price (some of them significantly) over the last year or two, but not DM! DM is the one single exception to this rule, which is why you can still get them at $1600.00, which is what they sold for two years ago.

#49 7 years ago

RobT >> just to be clear the bay avg for 2012 on DM > "through 11.21.12 avg price of $1619"

For the most part it appears DM has moved very little in price. Lots of other titles that fall into that category, but it is one of the few DMDs from that era.

#50 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

which is what they sold for two years ago.

Two years ago I could buy them for 12-1400. I guess the Hurricane I have now is worth stupid RobT prices right? Wrong. The demand for DM's are not as high as other pins therefore the price reflects that.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside