(Topic ID: 3725)

Is $2500 a good price for a very dirty sttng?

By BriGuy5

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by smassa
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

STTNG-3.jpg
STTNG-1.jpg
SB.jpg
Surfy.jpeg

#1 12 years ago

Machine works 100%, boards look good, cabinet looks good, but the
playfield is insanely dirty, balls are all rusted, and screws look
corroded. What do you think? $2500 ballpark?

#2 12 years ago

I would say thats on the high side, 1,800.00 to 2,000 range would be more like it.

#3 12 years ago

I agree with pin-tastic. It's a little high. You may be able to barter, but don't hold your breath. For me, it usually boils down to 1 - How much do I want it, 2 - How likely am I to find another better deal, 3 - Am I going to keep it (If I am, I don't mind putting more work into it).

G

#4 12 years ago

Thanks for the input, I called back and said I can only offer $2000, if she sells it for more then it wasn't meant to be. I really do want it, but I am likely to find one for around the same price in better condition ($2500), and yes I would keep it. Definitely a pin I really want, and it was nice that there were no errors, and everything was working, including the guns above the slings. Did I make the right choice? What if all I needed to do was clean it up and replace the corroded screws? Am I losing out? I have a headache.....

I hope it wasn't a diamond in the rough and I miss out on it.

#5 12 years ago

Should clean up well,especially if every thing works which is a BIG deal on STTNG!WONDERFUL PIN!!

#6 12 years ago

If she agrees on $2000... Screws and balls are the cheapest investment!
Just as long as everything is working- especially the guns...
RUN- don't walk!
Or if you are dyslexic-
Walk Don't Run!
(Starts playing the Ventures...)

Surfy.jpegSurfy.jpeg

#7 12 years ago

That's the thing.. should I just get it for $2500 and not lose out on the machine to someone else, clean it up and now I have a machine that truly is worth what I bought it for? I like to work on them as much as play them, just not sure if I want to open another can of worms and find something truly wrong. I went through diagnostics, all solenoids worked, switches worked, no errors, guns worked great, it's not so much the dirt as the corrosion that's bothering me. Cabinet was a 9, backglass was a 9.5, playfield other than dirt was a solid 9 at least, I saw no wear around the outholes. I'm really stumped on what to do..................

#8 12 years ago

Well therein lies the rub BriGuy...
Do you take the time to get the rust off of everything metal? (Time VS money?)
Or do you wait for a machine that is a little more inland that was dry but now has a little more PF wear and who knows what else? Oh and it is now $3000 because it is a month later...
(see current price hike for BSD!!! "thanks" Pinside... )

Remember you just rolled three 9's on condition...
I have seen much worse, for much more!

#9 12 years ago

If it makes you feel better, I have overpaid for more than one pin. If the cabinet and boards look good and the playfield can be cleaned up. It might be worth a counter offer at $2250.

#10 12 years ago

The price sounds a little high to me as well. Does it have any mods or add-ons? Keep in mind, by the time you start adding some necessary things like ramp protectors (above and below), Pinbits trough protector, NZ Cliffy, etc ... the game will end up costing you more. Also, if any of the ramps are cracked, that's an additional expense.

#11 12 years ago

Hah NB, you said "screws and balls"

Quoted from BriGuy5:

I'm really stumped on what to do.............

Give it some time (today) and if they don't ring you back, if you REALLY want it, give a different FINAL offer. $2200? $2250? Just trying to encourage you BG!

#12 12 years ago

I guess it's how bad you want something more or less then the next guy?
and what is $500 anyway?
you can blow almost that amount taking the wife and kids to Yankee Stadium?
Sure if you can wait a year or two you might nail a Sttng cheap - then again maybe not?

#13 12 years ago

$2,500 is too high. It's one thing if it was just dirty, but machines like that usually need $200-$300 in parts not to mention the hours of time. $2,500 - $2,700 will buy you a nice STTNG all day long, they made plenty of them. The rust could be a huge problem, did you look under than playfield to see if anything down there was rusty?

#14 12 years ago

Hah NB, you said "screws and balls"

You obviously haven't seen the flag I fly outside of my house..!
I salute it every morning!!!

SB.jpgSB.jpg

#15 12 years ago

Rust is evil - make sure the bottom of the playfield is clean...if the screws etc are lightly rusted its one thing on the top - can be replaced but if its bad, springs rusty on coils, wires, etc I would stay away, its had a very damp home, and I just got done with a game like this... its not fun, wait for a decent dirty one but not rust.

#16 12 years ago

Thanks all for the advice. I decided to pass and the machine was then sold for the asking price to someone else. Guess it wasn't meant to be, but I'm sure one day in the future our paths will cross again, and hopefully an even nicer machine will emerge. Pinball sad face, time to go finish TZ and play the hell out of it.

#17 12 years ago

Don't feel too bad about it. I've seen pretty good ones go at that price before. They don't always head north of $2,500, but you will need to wait a bit to get a good one in that range.

#18 12 years ago

On the HIGH SIDE ,,, I got mine for $ 1700.00 .. In Killer condition too.. 10 hr Round Trip to the

Beach and back... I later Traded STTNG for a HOU Godzilla and a BoP plus $ 400 cash

and the Guy drove 6hr's to do the deal... Deal's like this DON'T happen often enough !!

STTNG-1.jpgSTTNG-1.jpg STTNG-3.jpgSTTNG-3.jpg

#19 12 years ago
Quoted from BriGuy5:

Guess it wasn't meant to be

That's the right attitude to have. You will have a chance at another when the time is right just keep an eye out and your pin will find you.

#20 12 years ago

BriGuy - I bought mine for $2K, and talked him down from $2200 because of a reset problem when you hit both the flippers.

Turned the game on, - time & date not set - (bongbongbongbongbong) Check the boards, some battery acid but not too bad, and one switch error. I was pretty new at this and told him it would be $200 for a new MPU board, and the game was pretty clean. I should have docked him $100 I gave my friend for helping me get it out of his basement and use his truck.

But some Deoxit on the terminals, and picking at it with a toothpick for an hour, new batteries, and she reset once in a year. I've since moved the batteries off the board. But at first I had no idea what I was doing. lol

At the time I bought the game replacing a lot of corroded parts would have taken me forever. Otherwise we've been playing it. Occasionally malfunction-mutliball, so cleaning the opto's is needed. So the cost is justified by playing. You'll find a better deal.

Picard, "Steady as she goes."

#21 12 years ago

"We will never surrender ... unless you pay us enough!"

#22 12 years ago

There's on on ebay right now, very clean. Works 100%...$2300.

#23 12 years ago

If the balls were really that rusted they may have damaged the playfield and you were able to tell cause of the dirt. I'd say you lucked out someone else got it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
Decorations
$ 63.95
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
Machine - For Sale
Sanford, NC
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
$ 26.50
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 37.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
Boards
PinSound
Boards
$ 9.95
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
Decals
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus
Toys/Add-ons
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
Decals
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 64.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-2500-a-good-price-for-a-very-dirty-sttng and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.