(Topic ID: 326069)

Irving Kaye Bank Ball repair

By MrFledge

1 year ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20221120_125644 (resized).jpg
    56034642_10_x (resized).jpg

#1 1 year ago

Hi. New to the forum. I have an Irving Kaye Amusement Enterprises Inc Bank Ball (Skee Ball) machine that is in very poor condition. At least 2 of the solenoid actuators are fried and I'm not sure about the main transformer. Can anyone out there help me with a solenoid replacement options? The main transformer has several taps. 120vac is used only for the background lights. One tap appears to be providing 6vac (relative to neutral) to the scoring lights and one other also looks like 6vac to the solenoid actuators. Any thoughts, info, or advice would be appreciated.

#2 1 year ago

This is a pinball forum. Try to find the manual and it might list the coil #'s... Gauge of wire is the first number, # of windings is the 2nd number. [XX-XXXX]

Why do you think something is fried? Is stuff just locked up? If so, it's probably seized and needs to be de-greased/cleaned.

Keep in mind that if something actually is "fried", if you do nothing else but replace the coil, it will possibly just "burn up" the next coil you stick in there. Can you test the coil's resistance with a meter to confirm it's OHMS reading or see if it's shorted?

You could try KLOV forums for better exposure but keep in mind that machine is WAY before video games. It's actually a lot more like an EM rifle games more than a video game or pinball.

56034642_10_x (resized).jpg56034642_10_x (resized).jpg
    #3 1 year ago

Are there any markings on the coils?
    The EM section of Pinside might be more helpful.

#4 1 year ago

The picture I posted was not from my machine. I posted this just for reference. This is mine. I know the coils are fried because they are charred and falling apart. I understand this is a pinball forum but from what I've seen here, many of the older EM machines use the same technology. I'll move this over to the EM section. Thanks for the advice.

20221120_125644 (resized).jpg20221120_125644 (resized).jpg
    #5 1 year ago
    Quoted from MrFledge:

I know the coils are fried because they are charred and falling apart.

I don't see anything falling apart. Charring is fairly normal in this era... Keep in mind that a coil is just a wire... only way it can fail is "open" or "shorted". Can you use a meter and actually test their resistance? Can you manually advance any/all the mechs?

If the mechs are seized, it will likely need a dissemble and a de-greasing/cleaning. Hell, it will need that anyway.

If the mechs are moving freely, you need to start testing the resistance of the coils with a meter. You can actually make your own coil if you know the wire gauge, count the number of turns, and purchase the correct magnet wire.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/irving-kaye-bank-ball-repair and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.