Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by tonyoz
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Ok, got Ironman back from Zapcon 2014 and cleaned up. The monger toy is no longer registering hits from any of the 3 optos. Here's the path I've followed so far:

1) The monger assembly moves freely, optos do not seem to be obstructed.
2) Molex Connector has continuity through it.
3) Continuity for the G, +5V, and Control wires are all good.
4) Other optos on the machine work
5) Nothing is disabled in the menus
6) Nothing else appears to be broken. All other switches seem to function as required.

What next? I'm sure it's something stupid, but I am throwing this out to the pinside community for some help.

-Wes

#2 10 years ago

I actually didn't realize there were optos in there.

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

I actually didn't realize there were optos in there.

Yep, there are 3, actually! Kind of a cool implementation that helps make sure you get registered hits.... when it works

-Wes

#4 10 years ago

Bueller? Bueller? No ideas out there hunh. Must be REALLY simple fix then, going to dive in and see if I can break something else.

-Wes

#5 10 years ago

Raise Iron Monger and just check the optos in test mode. If they don't work in test mode replace them. You can jump them with a test wire in test mode to make sure nothing else is wrong and to get a test beep. I've had to replace a couple and it's not a big job. They fail so rarely it's easy to overlook the obvious. It is a cool set up. The top opto is there just to register hits in case Iron Monger is half way down.

#6 10 years ago

Buddy of mine has this periodically on his IM. His monger still wiggles a little but its actually stuck and not moving enough. His problem was the wires for the light mod getting in the way. Not sure if this would be your issue to or not but something to look for.

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinballmike217:

You can jump them with a test wire in test mode to make sure nothing else is wrong and to get a test beep.

Ok, so I did what you mentioned. I did jumper across and I AM able to get the switches to register. BUT... The L. Shoulder also registers Iron Man #2, which is on a completely different section of the switch matrix. This concerns me a little. Any ideas what's up with that?

I suppose its totally possible I've been slowly killing my optos, but ONE opto ALSO triggering another switch that is neither on the same row or column? HRMMMMM

-Wes

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from copperpot:

Ok, so I did what you mentioned. I did jumper across and I AM able to get the switches to register. BUT... The L. Shoulder also registers Iron Man #2, which is on a completely different section of the switch matrix. This concerns me a little. Any ideas what's up with that?
I suppose its totally possible I've been slowly killing my optos, but ONE opto ALSO triggering another switch that is neither on the same row or column? HRMMMMM
-Wes

Im not very good with tech.. But isn't that a sign of a shorted diode somewhere?

#9 10 years ago

I was able to fix my monger issues by putting a washer on each post that holds the monger to the assembly between the clip on the end of the post and the back side of the assembly. That way the monger is always the thickness of the washer closer to triggering the optos. Also, make sure the metal piece at his feet with the blue rubber isn't bent out too wide on each side. If it is, it can hit the edge of the metal frame around the monger an keep him from going all the way back when hit at certain angles, thus not triggering the optos behind him. Mine never misses a hit now.

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from copperpot:

-Wes

That's interesting. What happens when you test the Iron Man #2 switch in test mode? I would have assumed that is the next switch in a row and that you also have a bad switch diode but if there not in the same row it might be something else like a ground short. Since you have determined the optos are bad I would go ahead and replace those first and worry about the other switch after that.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinballmike217:

Since you have determined the optos are bad I would go ahead and replace those first and worry about the other switch after that.

Yep! Exactly. Ironman #2 ONLY registers that switch as well, same with EVERY other switch I'll reinspect the grounds and diodes (although a bad diode would show up in the same row or column, not somewhere else entirely). In the meantime, will inspect the opto boards for cold solders, order some new opto boards and see what's what with that one wonky switch. I've NEVER seen a switch issue like this, it's very confusing..

Thanks everyone for the help.

-Wes

1 year later
#12 8 years ago

Raising this thread from the dead.

Just has this same thing happen on my IM. Did the replacement opto's fix the problem or was it something else?

I've jumpered the existing ones to get them to register in switch test mode. I cannot get them to activate when blocking the light path. I also see no light from the opto's when viewing them through a digital camera.

#13 8 years ago

Mine was not registering any hits, replaced all optos and that fixed my problem

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 46.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 78.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 87.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ironman-monger-not-registering-hits and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.