Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Rarehero
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

well i said i wasn't going to play it until a shaker motor goes in it. well i had 5 minutes before i had to leave for work this morning. i was going to play black hole as it can be quick also.

i said screw it - one game of ironman won't hurt. 3 games in 5 minutes - now i do have the outlanes open all the way.

i might have to change the outlanes one hole - but 3 games in 5 minutes - wow

thanks ed

#2 11 years ago

It is unforgiving and the ball always finds its way to the outlanes.

#3 11 years ago

That's why I like it so much. There are times that it absolutely punishes you. You step back and say damn, what just happened? And then you press START once again! Love it!

#4 11 years ago

When I play IM, I put it for four players...that way my games last longer

#5 11 years ago

3 balls =Good Morning, good afternoon, Good Night!

I thought it was just my bad pinball playing, but that game chewed me up, especially after playing L.O.T.R. for 10 minutes per ball.

#6 11 years ago

I agree, there is one on location near me that gets 1 game from me...or else i will go broke quick, and not be able to play the acdc next to it.

#7 11 years ago

Yep, I know exactly what you are talking about...just 1 game before work.

I can get several games in, in the time it would take me to play 1 game of Spidey.

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from hassellcastle:

Yep, I know exactly what you are talking about...just 1 game before work.
I can get several games in, in the time it would take me to play 1 game of Spidey.

I'll start by saying that I like Ironman.

However, I don't get why its so much better that you can play several games in the time it takes to play one of Spiderman (or other games that typically last longer). Why does that make it better?

I see why short games work better for multiple players or competition but not when you are playing alone.

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from dmesserly:

I'll start by saying that I like Ironman.
However, I don't get why its so much better that you can play several games in the time it takes to play one of spiderman (or other games that typically last longer). Why does that make it better?
I see why short games work better for multiple players or competition but not when you are playing alone.

There's just an addictive factor to it...like having a bag of chips or something, it's fun to just keep going nom nom nom.

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

There's just an addictive factor to it...like having a bag of chips or something, it's fun to just keep going nom nom nom.

2nd that..... It's just a game that came together nicely despite a sparse playfield and Stern cost cutting.... I don't know what it is either, but a lot of people who play it, myself included, get addicted to the game.

I wouldn't say this makes it better than Spiderman, but it does seem to force you to really be focused, which leads to a more intense game IMHO. To each their own....

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from dmesserly:

However, I don't get why its so much better that you can play several games in the time it takes to play one of spiderman (or other games that typically last longer). Why does that make it better?

Would you want every movie to be three hours long? Or every tv show 3 hrs? Sometimes having a 30 min show, or a 90 min movie is just the right amount without dragging on. Sometimes I need a game that will be over quickly, while other times I will play a long game

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

Would you want every movie to be three hours long? Or every tv show 3 hrs? Sometimes having a 30 min show, or a 90 min movie is just the right amount without dragging on. Sometimes I need a game that will be over quickly, while other times I will play a long game

Short IM-style games are for the Youtube generation!

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

I understand the desire to play a short game. But saying 3 games of IM is better than 1 of SM played in the same amount of time doesn't make sense to me. It seems to me that you do the same thing 3 times over versus several other things in a longer game with deeper rules.

Again, I like both games, just not agreeing that IM is better because its shorter.

#14 11 years ago

Iron man is one of those games where I can't ever seem to get shit going.

The ball times are too short for me to enjoy it.

Some folks really like that however.

I agree it's brutal, congrats on the new title!

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from dmesserly:

I understand the desire to play a short game. But saying 3 games of IM is better than 1 of SM played in the same amount of time doesn't make sense to me. It seems to me that you do the same thing 3 times over versus several other things in a longer game with deeper rules.
Again, I like both games, just not agreeing that IM is better because its shorter.

It's psychological. When I play a decent game on Spidey and get a mode or two away from Super Hero -and then blow it - it's most likely been a 15-25 min game I'm not likely to hit Start again. I'm spent!!! However, I can play a game of Ironman (or Tron or Avatar) and get close to the "end" AND lose in a very short time span...I had a very accelerated and intense game within a few minutes. It's like a high...I'm likely to hit Start again (and again and again) after blowing it on that style of "quick game" vs. a "deep game"

I've said this before - by all accounts Spidey is a better game....but IM can feel more fun!

***For the record, I've had Spidey since 2007 and still have it. I bought IM in 2010 NIB, played the everloving crap out of it, and sold it about a year later....but that's cuz I have lots of other "quick n dirty" games that I ended up enjoying more than IM.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 46.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 24.95
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lake Mary, FL
$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ironman-its-brutal-3-games-in-5-minutes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.