• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Auxilary Board (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

Hi to everybody,
My Bally Eight Ball deluxe is finally ready and in great condition after a time consuming restoration. The only problem remaining is a missing light from the right Thumber bumber.
I tested continuity from the socket to the transistor Q13 and Decoder and it is Ok.Transistor also tested ok.
I further checked the MC14028B decoder and i found that there is ground in pin 6 ,related to this light so i said...great. I have found the problem and it was an easy fix.....
It was not that easy! I replaced MC14028 with an alternative decoder HEF 4028BP that said to be the same. I fixed the Light on right thumber bumber but then the 30K Left Lane light stays always on.
In testing mode i also noticed that after a while the first E from deluxe starts staying on .
Ok, next step to remove this decoder and put the initial one. Same behavior as in the beginning.Strange!!!!
Then i assumed that HEF 4028BP may not be the proper decoder and i tried to find a CD4028 that already has been replaced long ago on the board and works fine. Same behavior. Always on the 30 K Left Lane and after a while the same for first E.
I don't understand this behavior.
I will appreciate if someone has a suggestion. Anything will be much appreciated.

Iordanis

Auxilary Board (resized).jpgAuxilary Board (resized).jpg
#2 3 years ago

This section of the Pinwiki may be helpful: https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern#Controlled_Lamp_Problems

Check the header pins on your driver board. They tend to crack.

#3 3 years ago

Thank you @yeoldpinplayer. It is true that Pinwiki is like a bible! First thing to check!
But i have checked all connentions and arefine.
As told when i have the initial Decoder i miss bumber light . When replace with new i have constant lighting in 30K and after a while another one .All related with the same Decoder. It makes no sense!

#4 3 years ago

whilst it is tedious to do you could remove the 4 decoders, marking each one 1-4.

put in snapable 2.54mm pitch sockets and try swapping them to see if the problem changes, hope this makes sense.

maybe easier, not cheaper to buy another lamp driver?

and no biggy, you can call it what you like, but it's known as thumper bumper/pop bumper.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from Rikoshay:

whilst it is tedious to do you could remove the 4 decoders, marking each one 1-4.
put in snapable 2.54mm pitch sockets and try swapping them to see if the problem changes, hope this makes sense.
maybe easier, not cheaper to buy another lamp driver?
and no biggy, you can call it what you like, but it's known as thumper bumper/pop bumper.

Yes, i can remove the decoders and put a socket. But all problems are located in U3 decoder which i have already a socket installed and i change between new ones.

#6 3 years ago

Problem Solved....
I reseated J4 Connector of MPU .Now all lights are fine!
Never trust old connections.
Thank you YeOldPinPlayer & Rikoshay for your suggestions and help.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from Rikoshay:

It's a thumber bummer when you're working on the game and bump the skirt and the ring comes down on your thumb!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 199.95
$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ironic-behavior-of-bally-aux-lamp-board and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.