(Topic ID: 6698)

Iron Monger won't lift or go down completely.

By GoBlue

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by BinGhanem
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

Tonight on my Iron Man pin the Iron Monger stopped lifting and won't go down completely. Any ideas on what I should try to fix it? Thanks in advance.

#2 12 years ago

Update: I went into diagnostics and tested the iron monger motor. I hear the motor running, but the iron monger won't lift.

#3 12 years ago

Have you seen this yet?

groups.google.com/group/rec.games.pinball/browse_thread/thread/f8c5112d24f8f421

#4 12 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

Have you seen this yet?

groups.google.com/group/rec.games.pinball/browse_thread/thread/f8c5112d24f8f421

Thanks. I think there is something wrong with my gearbox because when the motor runs, it isn't turning the cam that raises the iron monger. Anyone know what should my next step be?

#5 12 years ago

Sounds like something is either stock or not making contact. Check there's nothing stuck inside that's preventing it from going down or up. It does sound's like it can be the gearbox too. a friend of mine owns POTC and his ship wasn't sinking, he used a bottle of can air and said he removed a piece of plastic that was stuck inside.

#6 12 years ago
Quoted from tk375:

Sounds like something is either stock or not making contact. Check there's nothing stuck inside that's preventing it from going down or up. It does sound's like it can be the gearbox too. a friend of mine owns POTC and his ship wasn't sinking, he used a bottle of can air and said he removed a piece of plastic that was stuck inside.

It will go up and down manually. Seems like it is the gear box because the cam isn't moving when the motor turns on. Sometimes I see it move a fraction of an inch when the motor first turns on. I think Stern is going to send me a replacement part, but is there anyway I can fix it in the meantime? Not sure how long it will take to get the part and then I'll have to figure out how to install it...

#7 12 years ago

When Stern sends you a part, they delivered using UPS, they are pretty fast if you already spoke to them, try speaking to Patrick Powers, he will explain where it goes by phone, is a really cool dude.
Sorry you cannot play your Iron Man for now, but it's always better to wait and get it fix than to break something

#8 12 years ago
Quoted from tk375:

When Stern sends you a part, they delivered using UPS, they are pretty fast if you already spoke to them, try speaking to Patrick Powers, he will explain where it goes by phone, is a really cool dude.
Sorry you cannot play your Iron Man for now, but it's always better to wait and get it fix than to break something

Thanks for the tip. I can reach Patrick through the 1-800 technical support number?

#9 12 years ago

Yes, I don't have the number on hand right now, but give him a call, he is the parts wizard and one of the nicest guys you will meet on the phone.

#10 12 years ago

It is going to be sad not being able to play Iron Man....

#11 12 years ago

I felt the same way when my flippers were sticking up. the game was unplayable and it hurt to see my spidey just there and me unable to fix it until I got the parts.

#12 12 years ago
Quoted from tk375:

I felt the same way when my flippers were sticking up. the game was unplayable and it hurt to see my spidey just there and me unable to fix it until I got the parts.

How long did you go without?

#13 12 years ago
Quoted from tk375:

What parts did they send you and what did you have to do to fix the problem tk? Be good for others to know in case they have similar issues.

#14 12 years ago

Received the new motor tonight and installed it tonight. My IM is up and running better than ever! Yes!

#16 12 years ago

Great, now get the Grand Champion in your machine!

#17 12 years ago
Quoted from GoBlue:

Received the new motor tonight and installed it tonight. My IM is up and running better than ever! Yes! []

IM is a very fun pin IMO. Congrats.

#18 12 years ago

WOW. Its not working again... After only a dozen games. Not sure what to do next, maybe I need to adjust the Iron Monger as it might be getting stuck. Anyone do that?

#19 12 years ago

Here is a quick video....

#20 12 years ago

Anyone have any thoughts? Haven't heard back from Stern yet. Thanks!

#21 12 years ago

Well, Stern is going to send me another motor unit. I am going to send the old one back so they can take a look to see if it went bad or not. I might disconnect my shaker motor for awhile to see if that solves the problem. I have a feeling that it is shaking the iron monger figure too much as it raises, making it get stuck for a bit and causing problems for the motor and/or gearbox. Just a guess.

#22 12 years ago

Well... installed a new motor today. The Iron Monger raised and lowered properly for about 5 games and is now having the same problem as before. I think it might be the iron monger assembly, not sure. Any ideas? Thanks.

1 week later
#23 12 years ago

I have the same problem mow. Is there a away to diagnose the problem before getting new motor ?

#24 12 years ago

Does the motor come with a gear or cam attached, and have those been loose/damaged when you took them off?

#25 12 years ago
Quoted from system11:

Does the motor come with a gear or cam attached, and have those been loose/damaged when you took them off?

Yes, it does come with a gear box and cam. I think the gear box is getting damaged, but not sure what to do about it.

#26 12 years ago

I had to remove iron monger just to make sure its not stuck or something, notices some cables under the motor. tried to move them and tried to push and pull iron mongor to make sure it moves... and it worked !!

hope that helps :s

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 24.95
Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 87.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 46.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/iron-monger-wont-lift-or-go-down-completely and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.