• Please give me a game that lasts longer than 5 minutes 7 votes
    4%
  • Never Sold, but starting to think about selling 7 votes
    4%
  • Kidding me? I'm never selliing. 105 votes
    64%

(163 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 10 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image_(resized).jpeg
image-734.jpg
image-899.jpg
image.jpg
IMG_0111.JPG
kateUPton.jpg
PlayBetter.jpg
IMG_4188.JPG
CAM00250.jpg
017.jpg

There are 167 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 4 years ago

Hey guys,

I am about to buy an IMVE and was curious why some people do not like this players game. So, please tell me why you sold. Thanks.

#2 4 years ago

I bought a NIB IM(VE) and I really like it. It is a fun pin. I think some people don't like it because the rules are not very deep; yet the play is fast and entertaining. The VE in particular looks very good with all the LED's, but some people say it is too bright, well ... change the color of the LED's. The sound is very good and there is a high degree of fidelity with its theme. I won't be selling mine for a long time.

#3 4 years ago

Great game, hard, fast, but I sold mine in order to help fund my Metallica Premium. And after having it not quite a week, so glad I made this move. If money wasn't an issue, I would have kept it though.

#4 4 years ago

I hated it so much I bought it again and again.
Let me explain.
I bought my first IM years ago loved pimped it out but soon after started hating the fact you have to start over again and could not advance through the modes once you drain...meaning you start over again.
It seemed shallow and unforgiving. I got ACDC and added cash in the deal. Many friends had it so when they had gatherings I just played theirs and determined it was a players game.

Fast forward 18 months I missed it so much I bought it again mod'n the heck out of it and loving it again. 4 months later IMVT launches...I ordered it too knowing I would want the best version out there. Once VT landed I realized the original was superior so I just kept IM #2.
I plan on keeping this one and on the pecking order of 11 pins it would be #4 to leave if they all had to go.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

...I ordered it too knowing I would want the best version out there. Once VT landed I realized the original was superior so I just kept IM #2.
I plan on keeping this one and on the pecking order of 11 pins it would be #4 to leave if they all had to go.

Curious, why is IM superior over IMVE?

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from OilGuy:

Curious, why is IM superior over IMVE?

I've never heard anyone say that before. I am curious as well.

#7 4 years ago

All opinion.
IMO:
1. new artwork to me looked washed out almost egg shell / flat finish.
2. The back box is nice in then new metal form to me the wood is more solid (call me old school).
3. Figures single cast look like ..S to me.
4. Lock down bar latch and head locking system both "better" IMO.

All slight but when you have the choice and both sitting in front of you ...you make a list and just decide. For me I swapped VT for LOTR plus cash to me so it was win win.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

All opinion.
IMO:
1. new artwork to me looked washed out almost egg shell / flat finish.
2. The back box is nice in then new metal form to me the wood is more solid (call me old school).
3. Figures single cast look like ..S to me.
4. Lock down bar latch and head locking system both "better" IMO.
All slight but when you have the choice and both sitting in front of you ...you make a list and just decide. For me I swapped VT for LOTR plus cash to me so it was win win.

I completely disagree, but to each their own. This is why I think the VE is superior:

1. The metallic cabinet decals looks awesome.
2. The speaker panel artwork looks awesome.
3. The new upper cabinet style looks much better and sleeker. The t-molding wraps around the entire perimeter of the side panels and looks great in red.
4. The tilted DMD has less glare.
5. It's new.
6. Best looking clear coat I've seen on a Stern to date.
7. Iron Monger's chest lights up.
8. Cast figurines look MUCH BETTER than the jointed GI Joe-looking figures.
9. No need to upgrade to LEDs. Already done. In particular, the insert LEDs look fantastic.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from NorCalRealtor:

I completely disagree, but to each their own. This is why I think the VE is superior:
1. The metallic cabinet decals looks awesome.
2. The speaker panel artwork looks awesome.
3. The new upper cabinet style looks much better and sleeker. The t-molding wraps around the entire perimeter of the side panels and looks great in red.
4. The tilted DMD has less glare.
5. It's new.
6. Best looking clear coat I've seen on a Stern to date.
7. Iron Monger's chest lights up.
8. Cast figurines look MUCH BETTER than the jointed GI Joe-looking figures.
9. No need to upgrade to LEDs. Already done. In particular, the insert LEDs look fantastic.

1. Agree with you, but the blacks and color saturation suck on the VE compared to the original (OG). The blacks are much deeper and the color saturation is better on the OG.
2. Eh, personal preference. It looks ok, but I like it to match my other Sterns.
3. Uggghhh, again personal preference but I despise everything about the new head design. It looks cheap, hate the t-molding, and hate how it latches (give me the coffin lock back Stern!).
4. Agree, but barely.
5. Not any more! LOL!
6. Some have nice clearcoat, some don't. I'm talking about BOTH versions here. I've seen good and ok for both.
7. Agree, nice feature but addable to OG.
8. Really? Hmmm, much more detail in the OGs "GI Joe" style figures and they look better. You can even pose them if you want! Why have War Machine stand there like a bump on a log with his arms to his side? Pose that biatch! Oh, that's right. You can't on the VE.
9. LEDs for GI are too much. I don't need to be blinded while playing and everything becomes a cold bluish color. Besides the LED lightshows blow compared to the incandescents...especially for flashers. You never get that slow fade pulse that looks awesome with LEDs. You just get solid on or a fast flash. That's weak. Look at the lightshows for the OG...compare to VE. No comparison.
Edit: I put LEDs in my OG inserts and they look great with incandescent GI. Perfect match as you don't lose the sweet lightshow.

To sum up, both are great machines you can't go wrong with. I prefer the OG for the reasons listed, some prefer the VE.

#10 4 years ago

Hey there, Short-time forum reader, First-Time poster here. Fellow Castle Rock Resident also. I just purchased my first PIN which was an IMVE 3 weeks ago. I may be bias, but my question is How does one decide on the next PIN to follow up with/Top after getting an IM?

Extending the offer if you need some play time on an IMVE to help you decide.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from CastleRockIM:

Hey there, Short-time forum reader, First-Time poster here. Fellow Castle Rock Resident also. I just purchased my first PIN which was an IMVE 3 weeks ago. I may be bias, but my question is How does one decide on the next PIN to follow up with/Top after getting an IM?

I agree. After playing IM for the last 6 months it seems like most other pins I play are less exciting and fun to play.
This may not be a good thing.

#12 4 years ago

but my question is How does one decide on the next PIN to follow up with/Top after getting an IM?

Good to have another pin with longer ball times!

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from Boondocker:

Good to have another pin with longer ball times!

True! My ST works very well with IM.

#14 4 years ago

I sold mine because I can only fit 3 pins comfortably in my office and I wanted something a bit deeper and a theme my wife might enjoy.

I recently picked up a BSD for half the price of an IM and still gives me a pretty good thrill.

#15 4 years ago

The clear on my VE was poor and rather than contacting Stern and doing a swap and all that headache, I chose to get rid of it.

#16 4 years ago

Good question. You spoiled yourself with a caviar pin. Can you top it? Debatable. Can you match it? Sure! I recommend Metallica, Spiderman, Tron, Lord of the Rings, or AC/DC. Including your IM that rounds out the top 6 Sterns. Anything less may leave you wanting.

p.s. I love my IMVE so much I just bought an even nicer IMVE last night (more pimped out). My mint and somewhat pimped out IMVE will go up for sale in the next 24 hours.

#17 4 years ago

I currently own im ve,
I hate hate hate the sdtm from the magnets, the l/s and r/s ball drains drive me crazy. I have not mastered the nudge so it may be cause I suck, but this pinball is not forgiving. I want to put a hammer to it at times. my highest score is around 50 million, my average scores are 18 million.

damn I love ironman!!!!

#18 4 years ago

I won't ever sell this game.

- I have a larger collection, if this was my only game I don't think I'd keep it forever but out of the 7 Pins I have its in the top 3-4.
- I don't play a ton, meaning in a week I'll play (all together) 60 minutes on average, maybe more some weeks but the point is, I don't get tired of a game that I play 3-4 times a week. If I played it all the time, maybe I'd get tired of it. But as it is now, I'm never selling it. It's like pinball crack.

#19 4 years ago

IM with LOTR is a killer one two punch

#20 4 years ago

How could IM get "boring" for people to play with the excitement of the play and such short play times?

Were they like "yeah I raised then beat the IMonger, hit the bogey shots and stacked them with War Machine firing the balls back at 60 miles an hour, collected a couple of more marks and started Jericho and then.............."

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

How could IM get "boring" for people to play with the excitement of the play and such short play times?
Were they like "yeah I raised then beat the IM, hit the bogey shots and stacked them with War Machine firing the balls back at 60 miles an hour, collected a couple of more marks and started Jericho and then.............."

Exactly right...do all the above while keeping an eye on what I need for D O D also..

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Exactly right...do all the above while keeping an eye on what I need for D O D also..

I love and hate that, especially when I hit the start button 6 times in a row and the games seem to gel together. "What do I need for the last Mark!".

#23 4 years ago

IM pisses me off.... I bought mine figuring I would play it a while, then trade it off. Stupid game is still in the collection. When prices went crazy, I still didn't want to sell it.

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

1. Agree with you, but the blacks and color saturation suck on the VE compared to the original (OG). The blacks are much deeper and the color saturation is better on the OG.

It's not a plasma TV - "black levels" are irrelevant - the VE metallic decals have a wonderful blueish/black sheen, Iron Man himself and the logo are high rez & shiny GOLD compared to the old dotty Stern cab look. Colors are fantastic.

Lets be real - NO ONE ever liked Stern's old cabinet printing. For years, people constantly complained about their "low rez" "pixelized" cabinets compared to the B/W games. Stern's new decals are better than their old printing, hands down. The metallic decals - COOL AS HELL. Everyone who's seen my IMve in person goes "WHOA" ....never heard one complaint about the "black levels".

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

IM pisses me off.... I bought mine figuring I would play it a while, then trade it off. Stupid game is still in the collection. When prices went crazy, I still didn't want to sell it.

It is a weird relationship IM and I have. A few weeks ago, I put up 5 games in a row with scores between 3-7 million. I was not getting anything done, but I hit start one last time and put up a score of 100+ million. That is why I don't walk away when it is killing me. Just one more game.........

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Lets be real - NO ONE ever liked Stern's old cabinet printing. For years, people constantly complained about their "low rez" "pixelized" cabinets compared to the B/W games.

For real

#27 4 years ago

Anybody feel the game is kind of lacking features? I'm shopping around for my second new pin. I like the theme, but its looking pretty barren in pics/vids.

#28 4 years ago

Sold it. Cause I wanted another pinball....and soon after had sellers remorse.
That being said, I'm the proud owner of Iron Man #2.

Not going anywhere. Shouldnt have sold it the first time.

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from TOK:

Anybody feel the game is kind of lacking features? I'm shopping around for my second new pin. I like the theme, but its looking pretty barren in pics/vids.

It is what it is. It's made to be fast and brutal, so their aren't a lot of things put in the way of that.
Some people like really fast games, some people don't care as much. IM for me is a decent player once every 2 months...it never impressed me much. If you haven't played it, which it sounds like, I wouldn;t think of buying it (or any machine).

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

It's not a plasma TV - "black levels" are irrelevant - the VE metallic decals have a wonderful blueish/black sheen, Iron Man himself and the logo are high rez & shiny GOLD compared to the old dotty Stern cab look. Colors are fantastic.
Lets be real - NO ONE ever liked Stern's old cabinet printing. For years, people constantly complained about their "low rez" "pixelized" cabinets compared to the B/W games. Stern's new decals are better than their old printing, hands down. The metallic decals - COOL AS HELL. Everyone who's seen my IMve in person goes "WHOA" ....never heard one complaint about the "black levels".

I'm not disagreeing (edit, except for your irrelevant comment. Black levels are very relevant to me. IMVE blacks look grey). The metallic decals look fantastic! I've seen an OG IM and VE IM aside by side though and what I wrote about the blacks and color saturation is absolutely true. The VE looks washed out colorwise in comparison. Resolution is much better on the VE though. I honestly think it's a wash depending on what your preferences are. The metallic decals don't really get shown off indoors without sunlight IMO, but I'd be happy with either.

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from TOK:

Not quite as barren as it looks at first. There are 2 magnets, 3 spinners (new pros have none), a cool main toy that stays hidden until he pops up (Iron Monger), and a cannon that fires the ball back at you top speed (War Machine). It's certainly not loaded up like LOTR or SM, but it's pretty well equipped.

#32 4 years ago

I got a Tron and they were side by side. I set my Tron up similar to my IM in terms of difficulty. Tron offered me a little more depth with an overall package that was similar to IM...sounds, challenge, speed. The offer to trade IM for a METLE came up and I made the trade. I've never looked back.

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

Great game, hard, fast, but I sold mine in order to help fund my Metallica Premium. And after having it not quite a week, so glad I made this move. If money wasn't an issue, I would have kept it though.

Congrats on your sale. Didn't realize you did that. Awesome.

#34 4 years ago

I got an IMVE NIB about 3 months ago. When I first got it I had quite a few Stern games. Slowly but surely the Sterns have left my collection and more and more WPC games have come in. I am thinking of trading my IMVE and would replace it either with System 11's or WPC games. IM to me is just not that deep and find myself not playing it much anymore.

#35 4 years ago

LOTR and SM are loaded up? SM has 1 spinner, motorized target bank, 2 up/down mechs (sandman and doc ock), 2 VUKs, and goblin solenoid. 7 items. Hardly "loaded". You listed IM having 7 items too. Unless you're counting the third flipper and side ramp as features for SM too? Let's count LOTRs: 3 VUKs, 1 spinner, ring magnet, Balrog, "leaning" tower, maybe sword ramp and POTD? That's 9 I guess. Still not "loaded". I guess the real point is that a game doesn't have to be loaded to be fun.

#36 4 years ago

I sold my IM which I bought NiB to get the IMve NIB

#37 4 years ago

I sold my OG IM which I pimped the shit out to buy my NIB IMVE which I pimpest shit out even harder.

#38 4 years ago

Right now I'M even thinking of getting a spare NiB one, just in case...

#39 4 years ago

^^^^^^^^^
This guy gets me

#40 4 years ago

Funny how this turned into another VE vs 2010 thread. The differences are trivial, and it's dumb to use words like "superior" in comparing them. Pick the one that has the features you like, they're both great! I prefer my 2010 IM, more rare.

#41 4 years ago

You missed a option - forced to sell

I lost my job a while back and was forced to sell a few pins sadly, still have NOS IM playfield in case I ever pickup one up in the future.

#42 4 years ago

I had a NOS IM playfield but sold it over the weekend to fund another game for the family in my game room.

#43 4 years ago
Quoted from pninja005:

Right now I'M even thinking of getting a spare NiB one, just in case...

Fuck it, ordering a spare one tomorrow now they are still available

#44 4 years ago
Quoted from pninja005:

Fuck it, ordering a spare one tomorrow now they are still available

Jealous!!

#45 4 years ago

i got a used original IM in a trade with a fellow pinsider. love it, its always kickin my ass and i always wanna play "just one more" game. it aint leaving anytime soon.

the only bummer on my machine is that it's a real early im pro and is missing the holes for a shaker motor. was this the case with all the original run im's ? (this is not the costo version).

other than that .... dig it man!!

#46 4 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Unless you're counting the third flipper and side ramp as features for SM too?

Yeah I usually count flippers and ramps as part of "things on a pinball machine."

#47 4 years ago
Quoted from ENDOFLINE:

i got a used original IM in a trade with a fellow pinsider. love it, its always kickin my ass and i always wanna play "just one more" game. it aint leaving anytime soon.
the only bummer on my machine is that it's a real early im pro and is missing the holes for a shaker motor. was this the case with all the original run im's ? (this is not the costo version).
other than that .... dig it man!!

So use the included template and drill some holes.

#48 4 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

I had a NOS IM playfield but sold it over the weekend to fund another game for the family in my game room.

And a 2010 Iron Man that desperately needed it thanks you.

Marcus

#49 4 years ago
Quoted from tktlwyr:

So use the included template and drill some holes.

Yea I had to drill in my shaker on my OG IM. No biggy. It's worth it.

Quoted from Xerico:

And a 2010 Iron Man that desperately needed it thanks you.
Marcus

My pleasure sir. Thank you.

#50 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

It's not a plasma TV - "black levels" are irrelevant -

Oh my. Like deja vu all over again!

We've had this discussion. Black levels are absolutely not irrelevant just because it isn't a plasma TV. The exact same principles apply! I.e, a lack of black levels on a photographic print, computer display, or decals on a pin have the same effect: a lack of depth, saturation, and contrast.

I personally really like the new metallic decals a lot. They are on my Mustang LE too and they are very cool. But there *is* a trade off, and one of those trade offs is that the blacks are not as deep on the IMVE decals vs the original. As such, there is a slight washed out effect.

Doesn't mean that people won't still prefer the new metallic decals. They are cool and obviously have some advantages over the screened ones (including better resolution). But those who say that the black levels are not as good as the screened version (and therefore have a slightly washed out look) are correct in my opinion. And it's not irrelevant.

Edit: didn't see this post before I replied:

Quoted from Pimp77:

I'm not disagreeing (edit, except for your irrelevant comment. Black levels are very relevant to me. IMVE blacks look grey). The metallic decals look fantastic! I've seen an OG IM and VE IM aside by side though and what I wrote about the blacks and color saturation is absolutely true. The VE looks washed out colorwise in comparison. Resolution is much better on the VE though. I honestly think it's a wash depending on what your preferences are. The metallic decals don't really get shown off indoors without sunlight IMO, but I'd be happy with either.

Bingo.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 65.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
$ 139.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
$ 26.95
There are 167 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside