Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpeg
#1 7 years ago

I know the magnets on Iron Man throw the balls around but mine will regularly grab and hold the ball. I swapped out the balls and it does the same thing. When I turn off the game it released the ball. It doesn't happen every time but at least once or twice a game.

Thoughts?

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#2 7 years ago

So it dosnt grab it, hold it for a second or 2 then let go?

#3 7 years ago

No. I have a video of it being held for over a minute (and counting). Eventually after searching for the ball the game gives up and puts a new one up for me to launch it.

#4 7 years ago

Make sure connectors undernearh are seated properly. Bad transistor or diode if magnet wont shut off. Test the transistor on the board.

You dont want that magnet remaining on for so long as it heats up and can burn the playfield

#5 7 years ago

So I just noticed that my game is off and the magnet still has the ball. I unplugged it and it still has it.

#6 7 years ago

Your magnet has a tiny divot that the ball sometimes comes to rest in. You can: put mylar over the magnet, or even better - just replace the magnet core (and then put mylar over it).

The way magnets "throw" the ball: they let go and then activate a moment later. If the ball hasn't moved at all (because it's in a divot right at the center of the magnet), then there is no way to throw it. Activating again just continues to hold it in place.

In the meantime, just give the game a little nudge and it should roll right down toward the flippers.

#7 7 years ago

My magnet started holding the ball when I put a mylar protector on the magnet core. Took me a month or so to finally realize that was why the ball was not being released. I pulled off the mylar, and the magnet stopped holding on the ball. It was the same as you are describing where it would hold even when the power was turned off.

#8 7 years ago

If it's a divot and not an electrical issue, is your game set at the right pitch? Should be 6.5-7 degrees. Mylar will wear off over time, temporary fix.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

If it's a divot and not an electrical issue, is your game set at the right pitch? Should be 6.5-7 degrees. Mylar will wear off over time, temporary fix.

What would you deem a more permanent fix to a Mylar patch? I have IMVE incoming.

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

What would you deem a more permanent fix to a Mylar patch? I have IMVE incoming.

You shouldn't need anything on the magnet from the factory. If the magnet is so worn that there is a divot, replace the magnet. It's $12 at pinball life.
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1837

If you are worried about wear on the edges of the pf around the magnet, you don't need to as he VE comes with a sticker around the magnets, not sure if the original version had them.

#11 7 years ago

If the magnet already worn itself to the point that it has a divot that holds the ball, I'd replace the magnet and then put mylar over it to help protect the magnet from wearing as quickly.

Sure, you can get a divot in the mylar. Replace it with 10 cents worth of new mylar.

I replaced my magnet core in IJ4 recently, did not apply mylar, and the thing was trashed within a week. (Though to be fair, that one gets a lot more abuse because balls are dropped onto it from above).

The other thing that happens when those magnets wear, is they mushroom, and then start to cave in the playfield surface around themselves.

#12 7 years ago

Thanks everyone for the help!

It may be a combination of the coating and the magnet. My pitch is set right and nudging the game does not free the ball. I suspect that something occasionally triggers the magnet to hold the ball instead of flinging it around (since it doesn't happen every time - probably every 10th or so). Since the power is off and the ball is still there I suspect also that the plastic coating is also associated with the problem. The coating looks to be about 25% damaged.

I put new balls in it to make sure it wasn't magnetized pinballs.

Jeff at The Pinball Podcast (JAR155) is going to come and help me troubleshoot the game.

I'll let you know what happens.

#13 7 years ago

If it still holds onto the ball after the power is off, then it's either: magnetized balls, or a physical divot/unevenness on the spot where the ball is being held. Pretty sure there are no other possibilities - but I'd love to know!

#14 7 years ago

Should be easy to confirm if it is a divot... can you place a ball there by hand and have it stay?

#15 7 years ago

Update:

Jeff from The Pinball Podcast (JAR155) came over and fixed the problem. It was likely a combination of a loose connection and a degrading Mylar disc over the magnet. The magnet is flush with the play field but I think the disc was slightly tacky and the magnet was acting strangely with the loose connection. I'm assuming this was why I could shake it loose with nudging.

He also helped me install a ColorDMD for Spider-Man.

Big shout out to Jeff!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 46.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 87.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Roseville, CA
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 24.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 78.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/iron-man-whiplash-magnet-holds-ball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.