• I like them both equally 11 votes
    12%

(90 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6589 (resized).JPG
IMG_1773 (resized).JPG
IMGP0553 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pcprogrammer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

Iron Man has also started looking like a good candidate for our 2nd pin. Specifically asking those who have owned both or at least played a lot on both, and most importantly "enjoy" both pins. I know there are haters of any pin, especially X-Men, I get that. But I'm wondering, of those who like both of these pins, which one do you enjoy more? I like speed and adrenaline in my pins, that's what Iron Man would bring, X-Men looks deeper to me. I played Iron Man before at MGC, haven't played X-Men but I think it looks like a pin we would enjoy. Any thoughts on pro vault vs regular Iron Man? It might just end up coming down to buying Iron Man, or a couple others on our list, if we can't find an X-Men at a good price. Thanks for the input.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

There's an IM at Maria's on East Wash that you can play on route. According to pinball maps, there's an Xmen Pro you can play at Up North downtown. I haven't been to Up North yet, so i cant confirm that its there or that its well kept, but IM is for sure at Maria's. Whats your other pin and will it be similar to either of these?

We have a MET Pro right now. We've owned and sold a Space Invaders, WOZ, Stargate and STTNG. I like all the pins we've owned but sold them all for different reasons. Mostly it comes down to if I am the only one playing it, we sell. If my wife plays it too, we keep. The MET Pro is the first pin she plays all the time. We first realized the her and I both like fast pins when we bought a Stargate, we ended up playing the Stargate much more than the WOZ because it felt so fast paced.

#5 6 years ago

The kids want a Hobbit. I'm not too sure I want one. It doesn't seem particularly fast, although I do like the Hobbit music and the build quality overall. Also, don't want to spend the extra $$$ on a Hobbit really. We've also considered ACDC. But with the complex rules on that one, I know the kids won't get into it.

#7 6 years ago

Also forgot, we also owned and sold a Star Trek Pro. In hindsight I really did like that one a lot. No one else played it but me though, so it had to go.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from Audioenslaved:

I have woz, IM and Xmen. Love them all. IM I love for short fast and hard! Xmen I love for depth and hardness. I've never reached Xmen wizard modes

So If you were forced to pick one?

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

The games you've owned sounds a lot like the games I've gone through. I have STTNG, have owned Stargate twice, bought IM NIB, and have X-Men pro. I sold IM earlier this year after owning it for 6 years because I was ready for a change, but kept X-Men because it's still a really fun game. I don't think you can really go wrong with either, but they're totally different games. Iron Man has very short games, X-Men is mode based and is pretty long.

The game length is kinda the tough thing here. I think MET Pro is in between the two for game length, seems very balanced to me. I never had 30 minute games on WOZ, but I did feel like it took too long to get anything going or to get "deep" into the code. Is X-Men like that?

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

Hmm...that's a really tough one. I have a IM Vault and X-Men Wolverine sitting right next to each other. I'm not sure I could pick one over the other. They are very different games. As others have mentioned, IM is fast and brutal. The rules are very straight-forward and it is not very deep, but that fits the playfield very well. The layout and code mesh perfectly. It is one of the highest adrenaline, one more time games ever. X-Men is much deeper with more toys/gimmicks and many different ways to play. I find it to be a difficult game also...I've never had the 30 minute games mentioned here, but it is more forgiving than IM. For me the LE is a must...I love the Nightcrawlers, spinning disc, and color changing GI, and am fairly neutral on the moving ramp. I can see why some prefer the pro, but for me the extras really make the game shine.
So I guess I am really no help. Both are fantastic games and two of my all time favorites. If forced to choose, I would probably go with X-Men for the better art, more to do (code and layout), and fun toys. But it's very, very close.
Play them both, see which one grabs you hardest. If you ever make it up this way, you are welcome to play mine.
As for Hobbit...no. Just no. Terrible game in my opinion. Beautiful with impressive technology...but oh so boring. It's the polar opposite of IM and XM.
Good luck! Really at the end of the day, there is no wrong choice here...they are both awesome games.

Great advice. I could really go either way on this one.

As far as the hobbit, the kids are obsessed with it. I've been on the fence for awhile. The code looks great. I think the missing factor is lack of fun ramps to hit.

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

One other thing...I just saw that your other game is Metallica. That makes me hesitant to recommend IM as the playfields have many similarities. Do not get me wrong...they play very differently, but the geometry is very close. X-Men is quite different, so may be a better choice in your 2 pin collection. Otherwise have you thought about Spiderman? It has a lot of similarities to ST, which you enjoyed, but with a theme that might be more towards your family interests since you are looking at other superhero pins. Just a thought!

Yes, I did notice that MET and Iron man seemed kinda similar in a way. We have played Spider-Man quite a few times, it's a lot of fun but for some reason my wife said she didn't want it. I can't figure her out sometimes. I think X-Men would feel a lot different than MET though.

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

I think you answered this yourself. If you haven't played a pin firsthand, then there's no guarantee you will like it. Go play XMen & form your own opinion before making your decision.
For me it's a no brainer. IM all the way. I think it's a Top 5 all time pin. But I enjoy games that are brutally hard & keep me coming back for more. IM is lightning fast & fights back the whole time. The ruleset is simple yet difficult to master. It's a great multiplayer game due to short balltimes. Great callouts, great sounds. Borg design, Lyman code = winner every time.
Very addictive, very frustrating = hit the start button one more time. I love games like that. Then when you finally hit your goal after many attempts (like hitting the DOD hurryup), you feel like you really accomplished something!

I always agree that playing them is best, but not always possible or easy to do. If I could have played both extensively than I wouldn't have needed to create this thread! I do like brutally hard games like you do, I like when the game is fighting me, like the shot on the left side of ironman that kicks the ball back at you. Very tough choice on this. I like the music on Ironman too, I downloaded the latest code in pinball browser and I was just listening to all the music. The X-Men heavy breathing music would need to be replaced, easy enough to do as I've replaced songs on my MET Pro many times.

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from PersonX99:

IM is closer to MET than XM. IM is BRUTAL, but the rules are simple and the game becomes more about skill with speed.
XM is much deeper, but as someone pointed out, the games are longer.
I own both, and play them, depending on what I am in the mood for at the time.
Of course....you could get both and call it a day... :p

Wish I could get both but it isn't gonna happen! No space, no money. I'm considering a star trek premium now and just say the heck with the wife... hmmmm... lol

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 78.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 87.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Coos Bay, OR
$ 24.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Roseville, CA
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clinton, OH
$ 46.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pcprogrammer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/iron-man-vs-x-men?tu=pcprogrammer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.