“Iron Man vs Metallica Pro which should resale for more?”

• Iron Man 22 votes
    73%
  • Metallica Pro 8 votes
    27%

(30 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

#1 5 years ago

Comparing both pins...
I guess I am trying to figure out the market here on these two great pins.
Why does it seem that Iron Man lists for more on pinside when it seems that most people would say that Metallica Pro is the better pin? (including the Top 100 list)
To me it seems that both should resale for about the same, but usually you see IM list for ~$5K+ and MET Pro list for low $4k.
Right now just to compare on the pinside marketplace there are plenty of IM available, but not a single MET Pro available at the moment. So I can't imagine its supply vs demand...

#2 5 years ago

Even with VE's, they're not that many Ironman's. They cheapened up for a bit with VE NIB's out there, but now have rose back up again, IMPO people are cashing back in.

MET pro's are still being made...

#3 5 years ago

I think supply and demand makes IM just a bit more.

#4 5 years ago

It's subjective as to which is the better machine.
They are both stellar games.
IMVE is up in value. (I just bought one.) dealers raised their prices because there is almost zero nib's available anymore.
I personally am not a huge fan of Metallica music but the game play is cool. If I bought another Metallica it would have to be at least a premium to get the hammer.
If you got a bunch of pins and need one for shorter ball times than an IMVE is the perfect compliment.
You should buy both.

1 month later
#5 5 years ago

I have an HUO IM VE with a shaker motor and HOOKEDs pop bumper cap mod with about 600 plays on it. I am thinking of selling it to fund a NIB MET PRO. What's the current market for an IM like mine and what are NIB MET PROs going for now?

#6 5 years ago

Supply and demand. IM is out of production. No one knows if more VE will be made.

Met Pro is still in production. If a game is still widely available, you can't ask for more than NIB when selling a used game.

#7 5 years ago

Iron Man's price has come down thanks to the VE, but it's still a more expensive game than Metallica and it probably will stay that way. There are a lot of Metallica machines floating around, with more coming off of the line.

I was just able to finally afford an Iron Man thanks to the price dip. I sort of think it will settle in at that $5,000-$6,000 range depending on condition, where Metallica will probably sit around the $4,000 mark for a long time from now.

#8 5 years ago

Which pin is better is 100% subjective and in the eye of the beholder.

IM/IMVE prices are rising again only because there are fewer on the market. Add to the fact that IM is a really fun pin, and you have the perfect storm of a fun and hard to find with = demanding a premium price.

MET is a great shooting pin...music pins are a little tougher because if you don't like the band, its a tougher sell. That being said MET has proven to be really popular. You can still buy it NIB...so you can't really look at the marketplace and directly compare it to IM. I can call a distributor right now and get one direct from Stern in a matter of a week or so...I'm guessing you might be able to pull that off for about $4600-$4700 through the right distributor. IM? You can't do that. The NIBs that are left are being priced close to $6K by those that are holding them. That automatically pulls up the market price of an IM being sold by a collector.

#9 5 years ago

Okay, so MET PROs could be delivered to my door for around $4700 give or take. I get the feeling an HUO IM VE may be around $5000 give or take depending on whether I leave the shaker on. I might would rather keep it for the MET PR0.

#10 5 years ago

IM is not up in price it dipped after VE. I saw a pristine VE for sale in my area just a while back for $4500 and a few other regulars were in the $4700-$4800 range. The days of $6K+ IM are over since the VE hit the market. MET pro is around $4200-4500 range in my area. So IM is probably worth about $200-500 more. Owners tend to estimate on the high side.

#11 5 years ago

$4,500 for a pristine IM VE is exceptionally low and not the norm. I've been shopping for Iron Man, regular or VE, for months now. Anything in the $4,500 range is either lucky and it's sold quickly or it has cosmetic issues (usually magnet wear).

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Anything in the $4,500 range is either lucky and it's sold quickly or it has cosmetic issues (usually magnet wear).

It took about a month it was in perfect condition barely played with pictures to support that. The VE may be hard to find due to limited quantity but the fact that originals are out there to and numbers increased causing prices to go down. The question was on IM value didn't really specify VE or non-VE. $4,500 was a pretty good deal for VE for sure but for motivated sellers $4500-$5000 range will likely get the job done within a month. Higher then that may take some time. It really comes down to whether the person wants to sell it quickly or not. If you have 6 months you can ask and probably get a few hundred more but not everyone wants to wait that long to sell. I know I usually don't. Always seems like when your looking for a particular title they are scarce, sometimes it's hard to find the one you want locally.

#13 5 years ago

Market for IM dipped when vaults were with distributors...but it seems to have risen since they are depleted.

This is probably the worst possible time to be looking for one...just wait for the next hit release and the true colors of the market will show.

#14 5 years ago

I sold an IMVE about 2 months ago for $4900. It was mint and had metallic red armor, side mirrors and a couple other mods. Maybe $500-$600 in mods. In hindsight I think I could've gotten a couple hundred more if I waited for more offers, but I took the first offer that came in. Maybe it has gone up since then. I don't know.

IMVE has almost as many available mods as Tron, so I think the value range can fluctuate a lot based on the mods. Maybe $4500 for bone stock up to $6000+ for Refinery Edition, or similarly pimped out.

#15 5 years ago

I appreciate the replys. I think I'm on the same page as most of you guys. Basicly a really nice HUO IM VE is probably worth a few hundred more than a NIB MET PRO since it is out of production and harder to find. Now the question is can I pull the trigger on putting it up for sale?

I'm located in South Carolina. Is there a distributor in my area that you guys would recommend calling for NIB MET PRO prices. Or does it even matter if they are in my area?

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from NorCalRealtor:

I sold an IMVE about 2 months ago for $4900.

There was a stock one just before or after you sold yours that was listed at $4500 for about a month. I think I remember seeing pictures of yours on CL it looked pretty sick if it was the one I'm thinking of!

Quoted from NorCalRealtor:

IMVE has almost as many available mods as Tron, so I think the value range can fluctuate a lot based on the mods. Maybe $4500 for bone stock up to $6000+ for Refinery Edition, or similarly pimped out.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. Seems like the originals go for close to the same as the VE from the ones I've seen for sale in CA.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from rawbars:

I'm located in South Carolina. Is there a distributor in my area that you guys would recommend calling for NIB MET PRO prices. Or does it even matter if they are in my area?

It's not a bad idea to find a reputable seller nearby, but the distributors here on Pinside are fantastic and will treat you right. Don't be afraid to reach out a little more if you need to.

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

There was a stock one just before or after you sold yours that was listed at $4500 for about a month. I think I remember seeing pictures of yours on CL it looked pretty sick if it was the one I'm thinking of!

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. Seems like the originals go for close to the same as the VE from the ones I've seen for sale in CA.

Yup. That one was mine.......but, I kept an even nicer one for myself.

You'll have to drop by one of these days, dude.

#19 5 years ago

I own both, and I find myself playing IM much more. My head says Metallica, but my heart usually says Iron Man.

#20 5 years ago

Wow! And you actually started the Metallica owners club thread. Now I'm second guessing myself.

#21 5 years ago

I think you guys are bang on that an IM is worth about $300 more (shape being equal).

#22 5 years ago

I have no dog in this fight, since I own both. I just played both games several times, and to me MET is worth about $400 more. It pains me to say that, since I have $700 more in IM than MET (mainly because of the candy red armor).

The layouts are very similar, but MET comes out ahead of IM in these areas:

* Rules (not even close)
* Artwork
* Dead-end FUEL shot
* Snake + captive ball > Whiplash magnet
* Graveyard inline drops + magnet > War Machine kicker
* Metal ramps (laser-engraved!) > plastic
* Music

Where IM beats MET:

* Theme (no need to explain to coworkers)
* 3 spinners vs. none
* Time commitment
* Speech and SFX
* More explosions and machine gun fire
* Iron Monger > Sparky

Very subjective mini-smackdown, but there you go.

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

to me MET is worth about $400 more.

To be clear, this means that if someone offered me $5000 for MET and $4700 for IM, I would still sell IM (pretending for a moment that I don't have $$$ in red armor on IM). BTW, neither game is for sale - I do think "buy both" is the right answer here.

#24 5 years ago

Gameplay is subjective. This debate seems more about comparative market value and due to IM being rare as compared to MET the higher value has to go to IM because of good old supply and demand.

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from PBFan:

Gameplay is subjective. This debate seems more about comparative market value and due to IM being rare as compared to MET the higher value has to go to IM because of good old supply and demand.

I won't argue with that. There will always be more MET than IM.

1 week later
#26 5 years ago

$4900 IM original HUO below in case anyone is looking. Before the VE this would be listed at $500-700 more.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-iron-man-stern-2010-2020

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Blacklick, OH
$ 15.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
$ 499.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside