Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by yancy
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Because they are using the updated driver board that has the serial data for surface mount LED boards and not a lamp matrix, the new code for the VE might not be compatible with the original Pros. Will Stern update the old code seperately to include whatever other changes they make for the VE?

EDIT: Sounds like the same code WILL be compatible between the 2 driver boards.

#2 9 years ago

I think though, and I could be wrong here, that as the insert instructions come over from the cpu they are in the same format as matrix instructions and then they get converted into serial data by a processor sitting there in the lower left corner where the lamp connections used to be. At the bus I think it might be similar, so not sure new code is absolutely necessary. But I'm just talkin', I'm no authority.

#3 9 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

I think though, and I could be wrong here, that as the insert instructions come over from the cpu they are in the same format as matrix instructions and then they get converted into serial data by a processor sitting there in the lower left corner where the lamp connections used to be. At the bus I think it might be similar, so not sure new code is absolutely necessary. But I'm just talkin', I'm no authority.

That's an interesting idea, but then how do they decode the color changing LED's on a game like ACDC premium. Is each insert 3 spots in the matrix? I don't think that would work as on Star Trek Premium they are now all color changers and that would be a 180+ matrix.
But then again on both Tron and ACDC (and probably others), the pro versions still had the matrix and the premiums had the serial data.

#4 9 years ago

The colour changers on ACDC are not in the traditional lamp matrix. They are in a separate circuit. When you do a lamp test in ACDC the RGBs are under a different menu to the other insert tests.

#5 9 years ago

Don't think it would be smart PR if Stern made new code for vault editions and didn't bother to update regular pro's.

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from kbliznick:

but then how do they decode the color changing LED's on a game like ACDC premium. Is each insert 3 spots in the matrix?

Generally, no, it is a separate circuit like TimeBandit mentioned, but AC/DC does have a traditional lamp matrix. The Fire button's three separate colors are three different locations on the lamp matrix for each color. So changing the colors can be handled both ways, each color takes up spots on the matrix if you go about it that way.

Chaz at Stern said they convert the matrix data into serial data if I'm not mistaken. I think they can use the current code just fine with their new system, which hopefully means any changes to the new version will also be applicable to the original games.

Granted, my limited understanding is from 50k feet, I really don't know how their system actually works. I'm just guessing on how I see that AC/DC works and some comments from Chaz.

#7 9 years ago

FWIW on ST Pro the colour changers are 3 spots in the matrix.

#8 9 years ago

IM has a multi ball in the code that no one on earth has reached as far as I know. This should be changed. At least some people have been to valinor....

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

The colour changers on ACDC are not in the traditional lamp matrix. They are in a separate circuit. When you do a lamp test in ACDC the RGBs are under a different menu to the other insert tests.

OK, makes sense now. Is the color changing data coming out of the phone jack on the CPU then?

#10 9 years ago

I had heard here was possibly new code at Pinburgh being tested on IM (unverified btw) but it wasn't really gameplay related, just bug fixes. I recall being told it was possible to somehow have the monger up and have the do or die mode start and having the shot be impossible. I don't know if this is true or if it's even possible but that's they changes alluded to.

#11 9 years ago

I would hope that any new/updated code released with the new IM game also means that updated code will be available for current IM owners as well. The press release says it will have bug fixes. So, I would hope the fixes would be available to everyone...

Rob
Robsgameroom.com

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

I had heard here was possibly new code at Pinburgh being tested on IM (unverified btw) but it wasn't really gameplay related, just bug fixes. I recall being told it was possible to somehow have the monger up and have the do or die mode start and having the shot be impossible. I don't know if this is true or if it's even possible but that's they changes alluded to.

Oh yes, I remember that one...if DoD is lit & you have Monger ready to go - they'll start at the same time, and Monger blows it for you. If they're fixing that bug - EXCELLENT!

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Oh yes, I remember that one...if DoD is lit & you have Monger ready to go - they'll start at the same time, and Monger blows it for you. If they're fixing that bug - EXCELLENT!

That's the one that bugs me the most. Even more than the bug that starts the timer running down while the ball is still behind the up post.

#14 9 years ago

Don't quote me if it doesn't happen. A little bird indicated it to me and its purely 100% rumour.

#15 9 years ago

I'd like to see you be able to earn the extra ball. That would be awesome.

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I'd like to see you be able to earn the extra ball. That would be awesome.

I've gotten it before... Is it just a mystery award right now to light it? Forgive my ignorance of such a fairly simple game haha.

3 weeks later
#17 9 years ago

Any update on when we might see an update for IM Pro code available on Stern's site?

#18 9 years ago

Did anyone get a chance to download v1.82 today from Stern's site? By the time I got to it, it said the page could not be found but the read me file still opens.

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

That's the one that bugs me the most. Even more than the bug that starts the timer running down while the ball is still behind the up post.

If you were running the current code this wouldn't happen to you!....lol

Atleast the monger part anyways.

#20 9 years ago

Did they even use the new driver board and surface mount LED boards for the vault edition?

#21 9 years ago

There are a couple different code versions on Stern's site now for VE and the old Pro. Hopefully this means they applied the recent updates to the old version of the game.

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from kbliznick:

Did they even use the new driver board and surface mount LED boards for the vault edition?

I dunno about the driver board, but it has socketed LEDs (thankfully).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 78.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 100.00
Playfield - Other
JuanSolo's modshop

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 24.95
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/iron-man-ve-will-likely-have-different-code-than-original-iron-man-pro and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.