Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Lermods
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Iron Man VE vs Spiderman VE”

• Spiderman VE 33 votes
      67%
    • IronMan VE 16 votes
      33%

(49 votes)

#1 3 years ago

Hi Guys,
    Just wondering thoughts on which is the better playing game. I am leaning to the Spiderman. Your thoughts??

#2 3 years ago

Better playing or most fun?
    I had Spiderman original version and always have Iron Man, IM is more fun, faster, ball times are shorter and it's a badass pin
    I didn't like SM, it bores me really fast and i found music and callouts annoying.

#3 3 years ago

Iron Man is a great game. Fun, fast, in your face. The rules are very straightforward but shallow. Tons of magnet action and a real "fight" feeling start to finish. Decent art. Great music and sounds. Very quick games, even when you are doing well.

As good as IM is, SM is better (to me). Also fast, with amazing flow, it has a slightly better designed layout with more shots and an upper flipper. The rules are much deeper, but still easy to understand. Art is great, especially on the VE (if you are ok with the Ultimate SM aesthetic). Music and sounds are awesome. This can be a long playing game.

Unfortunately IM, while high on my list of favorite games, became stale in my collection because of the shallow ruleset. The scoring is very unbalanced to the point where nothing really matters if you do not hit the Do-or-Die hurry-up. The final wizard multiball is completely unobtainable (I think I've heard of one person legitimately hitting it). It's really a shame, because with just a few tweaks, it could be one of the best ever. Lyman did mention in a recent podcast that he may revisit the code at some point. If that happens, I have a feeling I will regret letting mine go. But as of now, three years in my collection was enough. Even if the rules do get tweaked some day, I do not think it will quite overtake SM for me though.

I guess it comes down to, do you want crazy intense, quick games but shallow rules, or longer play with tons of flow and much more to do?

#4 3 years ago

Don't get IM... You can't handle it.

#5 3 years ago

"Lyman did mention in a recent podcast that he may revisit the code at some point."

If it's true it will be the best day in my life!
    (I love the actual code however)

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from Shadrac:

"Lyman did mention in a recent podcast that he may revisit the code at some point."

If it's true it will be the best day in my life!
    (I love the actual code however)

Well, do not hold your breath too tightly! It seemed to be an offhand comment, rather than a real confirmation that something will be coming. I know a lot of people are latching on to it as a sure thing, and I hope it is, but we'll see if and when it actually happens. The code that is there is mostly great, but it really needs a super skill-shot, and earnable extra ball, and some way of making Do or Die Multiball obtainable (at minimum reduce drone requirements). I would also like to see Do or Die hurry-up and Do or Die multiball named differently as there is way too much confusion between them now. I've heard many people who think because they got the hurry-up that they have gotten the final wizard "mode". Those things would take it from good to great. Anything further additions would be amazing, but I'm not really expecting much beyond that. We will see though!

#7 3 years ago

I have both next to each other. First I consider both core game's not planning on selling either.

However I enjoy and play SM more often.

#8 3 years ago

I had an IM, couldn't get rid of it fast enough. Just didn't like it at all. For me the code was too shallow along with the main wizard mode was almost impossible to ever see. I absolutely love SM. Never owned one but would love to someday.

#9 3 years ago

I own both and I think i prefer spider Man.

#10 3 years ago

Both are great games, but I prefer Spider-Man. I'd save some money and hunt down an original.

#11 3 years ago

Iron Man.

I’ve never liked Spiderman VE. It doesn’t have J. K. Simmons. And even though most people seem to prefer the art on the VE, I liked the original. But even after all that, I never liked the rules of Spiderman that much. The game just kind of happens to me rather than engaging me. Almost rinse, lather, repeat. But put almost the same playfield into Star Trek, and I love it.

On the other hand, I love Iron Man. I bought the VE on a whim. It was cheap, and I figured I’d own it for a few months, and then kick it out the door for about the same price or a tiny loss. I had never given the game credit because it seemed so shallow. But once I got it set up in my house, it slapped me across the face and called me its bitch. The set up of IM is critical, kind of like BSD. It needs to be just out of reach to keep me interested. I’d say I’ve sworn at my IMVE more than any other game I own. It is amazing how much pinball satisfaction it can give. I can play 3 games in 10 minutes and walk away happy or angry, and I never know which it will be. It’s not a game for a 1 pin collection. But with the proper support around it, the game rocks.

#12 3 years ago

They are totally different, but both great games. In a small collection, I’d choose SM because it has more depth. In a larger collection, I’d choose IM because of the short ball times. IM is way more difficult than SM and mainly has a singular objective if getting to and beating Jericho. Forget do or die, it’s unattainable.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside