Topic Stats

• 47 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by smassa
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I was just wondering what the difference was between the original Iron Man and the VE? Is it just the speaker panel and decals or does the VE have different software too?

Thanks in advance.

#2 9 years ago

It's 100% LED, so it has slightly different software that gives you options for LED or Incandescent...the light shows are slightly different for each. You can use this software on the original, though....so it's not unique to the VE.

Also metallic style cabinet decals, new style cabinet head/speaker panel, re-created figures (molded from the Hasbro figures but not jointed), LED light in the Monger's chest.

#3 9 years ago

I would prefer the VE, but they're mostly the same. Youre more likely going to get a better deal on a HUO 2010. That's what I did recently.

Use the extra $$$ on mods like a shaker, external sub, under cab lighting, and your own mix of LEDs!

#4 9 years ago

There is no difference in the software. The cabinet decals have a metallic reflective finish to them. It comes with the newer cabinet style and the speaker grill marquee. It's all leded and also include the right ramp protector and the magnet mylars. It also has different targets decals than the original ironman...the letters that spell IRONMAN are replaces with targets. The monger chest light was added and I think there is an extra figure. Apart from that....it's the same game

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

There is no difference in the software. The cabinet decals have a metallic reflective finish to them. It comes with the newer cabinet style and the speaker grill marquee. It's all leded and also include the right ramp protector and the magnet mylars. It also has different targets decals than the original ironman...the letters that spell IRONMAN are replaces with targets. The monger chest light was added and I think there is an extra figure. Apart from that....it's the same game

The targets never spelled Ironman. The licensor had some weird rule that the words IRON and MAN could never be separated...so while that was the original plan, they never had the letters.

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

And no, there isn't an extra figure. Both came with War Machine, Whiplash and Iron Monger.

#7 9 years ago

Ok so the original is safe to pick up then. If the VE had upgraded/new code I would pick up a VE instead. Thanks for the answers, they were very helpful.

#8 9 years ago

Ya. Original should be fine but it puts you in a good position. Most originals were built for operators while most VEs were built for collectors. if you're going to look at an original you can be very meticulous on its condition. Make sure it's spot on to its price point. If condition is not so good and price is near VE, go for a VE.

#9 9 years ago

auto plunger for VE is different like ST

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

Ok so the original is safe to pick up then. If the VE had upgraded/new code I would pick up a VE instead. Thanks for the answers, they were very helpful.

What is the price of the original? What mods are on/in it?

#11 9 years ago

the left ramp has a cut out before the last incline, if the balls not traveling fast enough out it goes, i have played older I'm's that don't have that feature.

#12 9 years ago

IM is a great game. I don't think you can go wrong with either version. Personally, I think I'd prefer the Vault if only for the fact that everything is all newer inside as far as the electronics go.

I'm hoping to pick a minty one up either in Allentown or at Pintastic this year. GL in your search too OP.

Edit:I knew someone else asked the same question. Here's the link for you OP.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-me-choose-imve-or-original

#13 9 years ago

Clearcoat on vault edition is much better then on the original version.

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

My assessment as well.

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

oh great. You just made me change my mind now. I want the better clearcoat.

#16 9 years ago

The clearcoat between versions is a controversial topic

#17 9 years ago

Here is a list of changes that I got directly from Shelley at Stern.

Our technology and manufacturing processes have changed since we originally
built Iron Man. Among the changes to our Pro games in general, and Iron
Man Pro Vault Edition in particular, are:
--LED’s on the playfield throughout, including in the Iron Monger chest;
--Code light show revision to operate the LED’s and better display LED
light shows;
--Cabinet decals, and for IM Vault, the decals will be printed on brushed
aluminum enhancing the art;
--New modern metal and wood backbox, with red t-molding;
--Speaker panel decal matching the game art;
--Higher resolution backglass, enabled by new technology, which provides
better detail and sharpness;
--One-piece, molded Iron Man, War Machine, and Whiplash action figure toys,
which reduce breakage and extend life;
--Current design one piece auto launcher, which increases reliability; and
--Various fixes of code bugs reported to us.

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

The clearcoat between versions is a controversial topic

In what way? I've had 3 different original version and I now have 2 Vault edition (one on location). The clear on both the vault editions is way better then any of the other originals I've had. One of the originals I was able to see the grain of the wood.

#19 9 years ago

I have the 2010 version and played the VE. I did not see any difference in the way the pin felt or played. And all Sterns have plenty of clear coat so that is really not an issue with any Sterns I have ever seen, including Iron Man. Never seen bare wood on any of the Sterns I have owned and I have had a few. My IM was routed so saw lots of play and the machine is in great condition.

So Bottom line is get the best price you can on a good example and you will be happy.

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

In what way? I've had 3 different original version and I now have 2 Vault edition (one on location). The clear on both the vault editions is way better then any of the other originals I've had. One of the originals I was able to see the grain of the wood.

My original IM had wood-grain too...my IM Vault is smooth...however - I've noticed more dimpling on my VE than original - so - it is what it is. You don't really notice the dimples unless you have a bright light on the playfield, so I'd have to say I prefer the VE.

#21 9 years ago

There was a lengthy discussion about how the new LED display of the VE didn't look as good as the original plasma, due to differences in shading. Some thought it was due to "compression" but it turned out to be just a physical difference in the display. I've not seen a VE but maybe someone who has experience with both can chime in.

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from spidey:

There was a lengthy discussion about how the new LED display of the VE didn't look as good as the original plasma, due to differences in shading. Some thought it was due to "compression" but it turned out to be just a physical difference in the display. I've not seen a VE but maybe someone who has experience with both can chime in.

It's just the display. ROM is the same, images are the same. LED DMDs aren't as 'smooth lookin' as the old plasma DMDs. Iron Man's monochrome movie footage looks like crap on any display - so, it's not as though the original makes it look great or anything.

#23 9 years ago

VE all the way. The decals alone will blow you away.

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

This is one of the big reasons I would like a TRON VE over a TRON Pro. I think the extra pop on the PF and the cabinet would be great (along with the LEDs).

#25 9 years ago

I have a VE and didn't really see a difference either.

#26 9 years ago

Are there any high def images of the old and new playfield side by side?

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

This is one of the big reasons I would like a TRON VE over a TRON Pro.

Later run Tron Pros had decals.

There's no guarantee the speculative Tron VE would have metallic decals....it might have regular ones. In that case, it'll just look like the later Tron Pro, but in the new cabinet style.

#28 9 years ago

Regarding the clearcoat. The original is great. I have seen a routed IM with more than 35k plays and other than a small chip around the monger magnet - the playfield is perfect. If the VE holds up better you will never discover that in a HOme environment.

I am sure both are great. The only thing I don't like on the VE is the DMD decal. It looks cheesy but is easy enough to fix. IM is a great game, don't sweat the diffs between either version, condition and price are king for this title.

#29 9 years ago

^^^^

Quoted from smassa:

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Are there any high def images of the old and new playfield side by side?

I posted a ton of pictures of each when I had them both side by side in the IMVE owners thread. I had almost zero dimpling in my Original and have tons on my VE. I had to upgrade the display to a Colordmd on my VE because the DMD was so hard to look at. I actually preferred the dark colors of the screened original cabinet. The figures with the original had more detail. Although I replaced the speaker decal on the Vault with one from Pingraffix, I liked the attempt at the display upgrade. Honestly, the only true advantage the VE had over my original was price and being NIB. All that shit doesn't matter. Condition and price do. Good shape? Good price? Go with that one. Unless you are anal and obsessed with newness and perfection like me and waste a ton of money on a vault and modding said vault when I already had a perfectly good IM to begin with.

#31 9 years ago
Quoted from rooftop:

the left ramp has a cut out before the last incline, if the balls not traveling fast enough out it goes, i have played older I'm's that don't have that feature.

No, that cut out has been there since the ramp was used in Austin Powers. They wouldn't have been so silly as to sell a game where the ball could easily get stuck on a ramp and not have any way to get free unless they called a tech out.

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

I sure do like my VE

#33 9 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Bullshit. I've seen VEs with worse clear than my original, which is nice. I've also seen some VEs that look like it's better than my original, but that's because it's not dented by Pinball's yet I believe. Who knows?

VE has metallic decals with light blacks. Original is screened art with dark blacks. Toss up there...I prefer the deep blacks personally. New Stern backbox design on VE...I prefer original by far. LED software lightshows pale in comparison to the incandescent ones (especially the flashers), but VE is MUCH brighter in general. Original figures are jointed and have more detail, but VE has monger chest LED stock. That's nice. I think that's about it. I think the slings are different too (mechs). VE has stronger ones like Metallica? Don't need/want that!

I'd go for the one you can get the best price on.

#34 9 years ago

FACT : the VE decals look like ass, in person, in photographs, and on the moon. The only place they have a chance to look decent is in outdoor lighting or a direct sunlight environment.

#35 9 years ago

Eh like ass is a strong statement. They look fine, cool even but the colors just popped better on the original. IT STILL PLAYS THE SAME. You don't play the cabinet.

#36 9 years ago

I feel like I should add this - for me, no question, non-VE. Two reasons for me...

1) I won 1st place in the B division at the only IM release party, on the non-VE game, so that was bad ass.

2) I am yet to own another Stern 'new backbox' design, and while I think it's cool, I like the way the old one looks in the line up right now.

I am glad the Monger has the light in him now. When I got mine, I was surprised to find out he didn't, it seems so natural.

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from turbo20lbs:

FACT : the VE decals look like ass, in person, in photographs, and on the moon. The only place they have a chance to look decent is in outdoor lighting or a direct sunlight environment.

Seems more like an opinion then a fact

#38 9 years ago
Quoted from turbo20lbs:

Fact: (ok just my opinion) the original had pixelated/low res art that looks like ass... Pick your poisen

#39 9 years ago

Yea the led in Monger is a nice upgrade from the original Monger

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Bullshit. I've seen VEs with worse clear than my original, which is nice. I've also seen some VEs that look like it's better than my original, but that's because it's not dented by Pinball's yet I believe. Who knows?
VE has metallic decals with light blacks. Original is screened art with dark blacks. Toss up there...I prefer the deep blacks personally. New Stern backbox design on VE...I prefer original by far. LED software lightshows pale in comparison to the incandescent ones (especially the flashers), but VE is MUCH brighter in general. Original figures are jointed and have more detail, but VE has monger chest LED stock. That's nice. I think that's about it. I think the slings are different too (mechs). VE has stronger ones like Metallica? Don't need/want that!
I'd go for the one you can get the best price on.

Come across 3 vaults and all have better clearcoat then any of the 3 I had in the past. The definition of the artwork on the decals is way better then the original. The only thing I liked about my old one was the slings like you mentioned and the DMD images were slightly better on the non LED display. The rest to me made it better to trade out my original for a vault.

#41 9 years ago
Quoted from turbo20lbs:

Crap I guess I'll leave mine at home when I take my next trip to the moon.

#42 9 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Fact: (ok just my opinion) the original had pixelated/low res art that looks like ass... Pick your poisen

True...it is when you get on top of it. When I walk in the room and look at it though it looks great. Let's face it, most of us have sandwiched the machine between two others anyways. You don't look at the cabinet when you step up to play.

#43 9 years ago

I prefer LEDs so I like the VE model due to how bright it looks. On a downside, the VE has the new backbox screws instead of the crank mechanism for locking and unlocking the backbox, plus the pegs under the playfield.

#44 9 years ago
Quoted from taz:

I prefer LEDs so I like the VE model due to how bright it looks. On a downside, the VE has the new backbox screws instead of the crank mechanism for locking and unlocking the backbox, plus the pegs under the playfield.

The original had peg legs as well.

#45 9 years ago
Quoted from taz:

Original has pegs too...they suck.

#46 9 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Yes, if you like dust in your clearcoat.

#47 9 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Yes, if you like dust in your clearcoat.

Yeah that's it!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 24.95
$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 46.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/iron-man-ve-or-no-ve and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.