• IMVE and cash 10 votes
    22%
  • MMR 25 votes
    56%
  • IMVE and another NIB pin 10 votes
    22%

(45 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20141015_174807.jpg
20141015_174730.jpg

#1 5 years ago

I have MMr ordered and paid, but recently have been considering cancelling, just buying a IMVE and pocketing the left over cash to put down on another pin.

I just want opinions of. IM, IMVE, MM owners, or owners of both machines.

MM has a nostalgia factor for me as I played it like crazy in my college years. Gameplay theme etc. Are awesome.
But I also love the theme and gameplay of IM.

Here in Canada IMVE is about 1/2 the price of MMr. So thats my main delema. I can get pretty much two new pins for the same price.
Hard to justify that much for a pin. But it is the one I always wanted since I started collecting.

To owners of IMve or past owners of IM
If I get IMVE will I eventually get bored of it? Or does it get old easily?

To owners or past owners or MM
Have owners of MM ever got bored of it, but have just held onto it for nostalgia or because of its "bragging rights" or current market value?

To owners of both, what do you feel plays better, gets more plays by guests, or you find you play more.

Thanks, just want some honest opinions.

#2 5 years ago

I am an IM owner, and dropped out of my MMR order fwiw. Sounds like we are around the same age, I played MM back in the day in University as well.

I have since played MM over the years, and in at least two digital versions. Playing it more recently at a show, I realized I did not love it enough at this point to justify ~$9500. NIB MM is a great dream, but I found I kept getting to the same spot in the game EVERY play, and there is not enough there to justify getting there (not enough variety).

I just picked up a SM and have made it harder than it was when I bought it, and you could certainly argue you get the same initial multiballs EVERY game. However there is enough other variety at htis point I am happy (ways to start modes, and the modes themselves, plus interesting stacking).

Both are fun games to shoot on the fly, but SM has deeper software at ~ half the price.

IM is very unlike MM, in that the games tend to be much shorter, and you seem to ALMOST get to where you want every game. I am sure you can look up all the other threads to see IM opinions and MM opinions.

For me at the same price (~$5K), I would probably have both a MM and an IM. If I could only pick one, it would be the IM.

#3 5 years ago

Thanks BC_Gambit. I still have some more time to make up my mind. And can wait. I hope some others will give their opinions on the machines as well.

Its a really tough decision considering how much money is involved.

#4 5 years ago

I just bought IMVE, first off the initial turn off for me was by the cost cutting measures I noticed and I have to say the build quality is getting worse at Sterns, but that's another story. After playing a while I noticed the good things. The game itself is very fun and it's fast, I mean if regular pins were sedans this thing would be a Ferrari...the factory lighting sucks but it's better than incandescent, (it reminds me of JJ Abrams Enterprise's bridge) so I quickly removed some of the cool white LEDs and changed them with reds and blues, I darkened the game and now it looks awesome, I will redo the whole lighting later. The rules set it deep enough to satisfy most pin nerds, but it's not like I noticed because the game is an adrenaline packed punch to the head. You're correct it's unlike MM, this is an in your face irreverent loudmouth of a pin that gets me mad and makes me keep pushing that start button like a tourette tick. MM is a like a good friend, that never get's under your skin, fun in a behaved way. So it's up to you, either way there is always going to be a buyer for both of these pins. Also don't forget HUO IMVE can be had under 4k now and MM is easily twice that NIB. GL I will post some pics.
20141015_174807.jpg20141015_174730.jpg

#5 5 years ago

Owned both. i think i've played 10x as many games on IM than i did on MM and i owned MM for two years vs 2 months for IMVE. So frustrating that you have to keep hitting start no matter how bad or good the prior game was.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

I just bought IMVE, first off the initial turn off for me was by the cost cutting measures I noticed and I have to say the build quality is getting worse at Sterns, but that's another story. After playing a while I noticed the good things. The game itself is very fun and it's fast, I mean if regular pins were sedans this thing would be a Ferrari...the factory lighting sucks but it's better than incandescent, (it reminds me of JJ Abrams Enterprise's bridge) so I quickly removed some of the cool white LEDs and changed them with reds and blues, I darkened the game and now it looks awesome, I will redo the whole lighting later. The rules set it deep enough to satisfy most pin nerds, but it's not like I noticed because the game is an adrenaline packed punch to the head. You're correct it's unlike MM, this is an in your face irreverent loudmouth of a pin that gets me mad and makes me keep pushing that start button like a tourette tick. MM is a like a good friend, that never get's under your skin, fun in a behaved way. So it's up to you, either way there is always going to be a buyer for both of these pins. Also don't forget HUO IMVE can be had under 4k now and MM is easily twice that NIB. GL I will post some pics.

20141015_174730.jpg 200 KB

20141015_174807.jpg 224 KB

Under $4k now?? What did I miss? I'll buy another couple at that price and flip 'em!

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

20141015_174730.jpg 200 KB

20141015_174807.jpg 224 KB

Oh sorry forgot to comment that your lighting changes look awesome. I gotta take out some of those whites from my VE as well.

11 months later
#8 4 years ago

I have both an IMVE and MMR. Very difficult decision to choose between the two. If cash is primary issue, go with IMVE IMO and use the savings for some mods and maybe for a future purchase. MMR plays great and I love it, but holy smokes its pricey. Both machine play remarkably different but both are great pins. When I play IMVE I get pumped and pissed. Fast and difficult game, but it always keeps me coming back for more. When I play MMR I enjoy trying different ways to play the game, and I always finish with a laugh and smile on my face. If you can afford it, you won't be disappointed with both. Best of luck with your decision.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 26.50
4,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Woodbury, CT
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside