(Topic ID: 136541)

Iron Man VE again, should code be revisited?

By Butch2099

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Iron Man code”

• Leave it alone, it's perfect 42 votes
    25%
  • Some tweaking is desired, make the 3rd time the charm! 129 votes
    75%

(171 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

dscn1 (resized).jpg
IMJERICHO.gif
Custom_Image2.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider akm.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#61 8 years ago

If DoD multiball is as hard to get to as most of you guys are saying, then I say leave it untouched.

#81 8 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Yea, but I'd like to actually see the mode one day.

Glass off.

2 months later
#178 8 years ago

It's been mentioned here that for a lot of people the roadblock to Do or Die Multiball is the amount of drones required. How many are actually needed? Forgive me if the question has been answered already--I just got this game today and want to have a general idea of what I need to be aiming for. I notice when I hit the drone targets, it just tells me how many until I qualify War Machine, so the amount I need for DoD is a little vague based on what the DMD says. (Unless you need to hit a certain amount in War Machine? I don't know, I was only able to put a few games on it and so I wasn't paying attention the one time I got War Machine multiball).

#180 8 years ago

Hm.. Yeah, it sounds like a lot. Do the Drone hits during War Machine multiball count towards this? I can see having to rely on the multiball to pound through them. Stacking it into Whiplash especially, then getting the add-a-ball on War Machine later.

#184 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballcorpse:

No progress awarded during War Machine multiball (unlike being able to use multiballs for working toward guitar picks/Blackened in Metallica).
Basically you need to start War Machine multiball 4 times and it gets harder to do it each time.

Damn. Yeah, that kind of sucks.

#187 8 years ago
Quoted from T7:

I highly doubt it - probably thinking of Do or Die Hurry Up - this has been the case with most people claiming they got it or were close. Not saying Gravitar isn't an excellent/amazing pinball player

It's totally possible, but I think it'd be really tough to tell if you are one shot away if you have to track all 32 shots mentally in your head. I was trying it earlier tonight and lost count pretty early on, haha.

#189 8 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I'll have to ask him when I see him at Dayhuff's party on Saturday. My guess is that he was 1 flashing character away. Number of shots left would be really hard to know.

Oh OK, maybe that's what he meant.

#193 8 years ago

On factory settings, with no extra balls, DoDMB is a unicorn.
The level of drain survival in normal 3 ball play with wide outlanes is off the charts.

There's no shame in doing it with extra balls on. I'm sure few have ever seen Valinor without EBs, for instance. (I did read your older thread earlier tonight comparing the two, and stating DoDMB is harder to reach).

I've only had my game for two days so I'm still getting used to it and figuring out the rules. I'll probably leave EBs on because I would like to attempt to see DoDMB (the most I have earned is two, during a really, really good game).

#197 8 years ago

Yep, thanks, I know about the extra ball/scoring tier concept. I had read the post as 2 EBs appearing during the course of play and was curious as to how that happened.

Yeah, when I first wheeled the game in it was set to award one on a replay. Then I got one through the shield as well. I disabled the one on replay this morning while adjusting settings.

I need to move the outlane posts back to the default position too, but making those easier has helped me pick up on the rules and flow quicker.

#211 8 years ago

After clocking a ton of time into my game over the last week, I think two War Machine qualifications (16 drones) would be sufficiently challenging. It's not like anything asides from Iron Monger is easy anyway--Whiplash is one tough multiball to complete, as is War Machine (hitting those first four drone targets is the hardest for me, before lighting the ramp/orbit jackpots). The Iron Man targets aren't a joke either--it's tough getting to level three of those, which locks in your insert. Point is, 32 drones is overkill for a game that's already challenging enough as-is.

I can live without a better skillshot, but it would be nice to have some more options.

2 weeks later
#222 8 years ago

Didn't think I would--even with "easy" outlanes--but I got to Do or Die MB tonight while streaming. Now I'm going to have to open the outlanes all the way and see what's possible.

I still think the setting should be lower on the Drones, but it was a rush getting to it as-is.

#227 8 years ago
Quoted from RDReynolds:

Excellent! Congrats on discovering the Loch Ness Monster, that's something I didn't think we'd ever see. Awesome!!!

Thanks! I know there have been accounts of people doing it, but am glad I was able to get it on video so others know for sure it's possible, even if it's only with the posts all the way in (still a drain monster at that, but I digress).

Funny enough, I actually completed Drones two or three times during that stream session. Whiplash was always the hang up.. One thing I'm not a huge fan of with the rules is how on default settings, the second Whiplash takes 10 hits to start.. Ugh. I know it can be adjusted, but I prefer to play on default software settings.

#229 8 years ago
Quoted from RDReynolds:

So how exactly do you finish Whiplash? I've done it before, but never quite figured it out. Heck, the only mode I know HOW to finish is War Machine, so any help you can give would be appreciated.
I totally understand how to get to DoD and Jericho, can do those with regularity, but knowing exactly how to finish modes remains something of a mystery even after owning it for a year and playing it constantly...

All right, I'll detail the five main modes and how to finish them to clear things up for anyone else wondering. When I first played the game, some of them were confusing (or at least different from what I was used to in similar rulesets, like Avatar or The Rolling Stones).

Whiplash - Step 1. Collect 5 jackpots (all main shots including Whiplash are lit permanently for jackpots); Step 2. All jackpot shots then disappear and Whiplash must be hit twice; Step 3. All shots re-light and 10 jackpots need to be collected; Step 4. Whiplash lights for the Super Jackpot (hit Whiplash once to collect; Whiplash mode insert moves from being solid to flashing). 18 shots total, not counting what it takes to start Whiplash.

War Machine - 1. Hit all four Drone targets once each; 2. Orbits, ramps and center spinner light for jackpots. Each must be hit once; 3. Super Jackpot lights on War Machine (Hit War Machine once to collect; insert begins flashing).

Iron Monger - 1. Hit Iron Monger a bunch of times, then collect the Super Jackpot on the center spinner (Iron Monger insert begins flashing).

Iron Man - 1. Complete three sets of Iron Man standup targets. Modes must play out/time out before you can start working on the next bank of IRON MAN letters; 2. First set is Fast Scoring; Second set is 2X playfield; Third set is Iron Man Scoring (Iron Man insert begins flashing when third set/Iron Man Scoring is qualified).

Drones - 1. Hit 32 Drone standup targets; 2. Every 8 Drone targets, War Machine multiball needs to be played to relight the next set of Drone targets. 3. Basically, qualify War Machine multiball four times (Drones insert begins flashing; fourth multiball doesn't need to be played, just lit/ready).

#233 8 years ago
Quoted from DylanFan71:

What does it mean when you are playing a mode and when it ends the light for that mode is blinking instead of just solid? Last night I was playing Whiplash and when the mode was over, the light was blinking. It seems like it was even blinking on the next ball, like it carried over.

It means you finished the mode and if you drain, the insert will stay lit. Finish all five inserts, and Do or Die Multiball lights on the center spinner.

Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

How many total balls did you play?

I don't remember off the top of my head, but I think it was four. I'd have to refer back to the video. After I got to DoD MB and came out of it, I had another EB or two that I ended up playing out afterwards.

#242 8 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Not a single person, ever.

"Legitmate" is a grey area when you are talking about an extremely difficult wizard mode to get to. How many have gotten to Valinor or the TSPP wizard modes without extra balls or other tweaks? I doubt many.

In my case, I will be moving my posts all the way out and will see how close I can get to it. Generally I think it's good practice to leave a machine "easy" (not that IM is ever easy) when you are new to a game, especially when the wizard mode is notoriously difficult to achieve. My philosophy is to continually make it harder until you can't quite achieve it.

#245 8 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

True; but at least it is generally possible to hit Valinor; it is an attainable if not far reaching goal for many. DoDMB is not reasonably attainable...but your video is certainly impressive.

Hm.. People say that, but I'm not sure. I haven't gotten to Valinor yet. Then again, I haven't owned a LOTR either. One of these days..

Quoted from 27dnast:

The table in this video needs to jack up its pitch...game is way more fun and challenging when it's FAST!

It could probably be pitched up just a bit, but more than anything it needs another good cleaning and a coat of wax. I've been playing the living **** out of it, so it gets dirty quickly.

*Edit - something else I forgot to mention is I had been playing the game for about two hours straight before I got to DoD MB, so the flippers were considerably weak by that point.

#247 8 years ago
Quoted from Khabbi:

Well, I'm curious, when you say "easy" outlanes, does that mean in the last outlane hole (closed)?

Yes, upper posts all the way down (fourth slot).

On a side note, I don't know if it's been mentioned earlier in the thread, but does anyone know what the default setting is? I want to change the posts this weekend if possible but don't want to move them to the top slot if I don't have to.

Quoted from Khabbi:

And let's be fair here, we are not saying you are not a good player, but it's hard to compare to most of us that don't set our games on easy.. who knows what I could have gotten with the outlines closed over the past 5 years of ownership on IM. But, I did set my outlines to "easy" many years ago for my wife, just before I sold my IM machine #1, and the game was so easy it was boring to me. This was only for about a week and I felt it ruined the fun of the game. I didn't feel that the achievements I got on it while the outlines were set to easy were legitimate at that time.

Yeah, that makes sense. When I got Avatar, the prior owner had the lanes on the easiest settings. I had to move them out almost immediately because I was having really long games and got to the wizard mode (Final Battle) on the first night I had it. Iron Man though.. I don't know. It was tough right when I got it, even with the easy settings, thanks to the slings sitting higher than the lower outlane posts. But I suppose it also depends on what sort of achievements we are talking about here.

Quoted from Khabbi:

And I have a different philosophy on setting up a game, set it up harder to see what I can't achieve, and if it just seems to drain way too much, move the posts in one slot until the drains are more reasonable and work on my skill. Then, when I achieve the wizard modes, I feel like I've earned them and they are special. I don't want to get them on easy and feel like I didn't earn them the way I should have. I want the wizard modes to be something special and a reward for patiently mastering the game. Just the way I feel about it, not knocking the way you do it.

That's one way to do it. Depending on the machine and how quickly I adapt to it, I'll do it the same way. However, for games that are notoriously difficult, I'm more a fan of going the "Easier, then Harder" strategy, although "easy" for me is usually just adding a couple of extra balls to the mix, then dropping those down by one or two until I have to force myself to do it on three-ball play/tournament style (no EBs). I'd just rather not be wondering for five years if it's even possible to attain a wizard mode.

I never close my outlanes either. I prefer to play a game on factory post and software settings. The previous owner of this machine had the lanes closed off, and knowing IM is supposed to be brutal, I decided to leave them in while getting used to the game. I've had it for a little over three weeks now so I'm going to move them back up to whatever the default setting is, how I like my games set. I'm going to leave EBs on and see if I can come close to DoD MB again.

Quoted from Khabbi:

BTW, I missed machine #1 the moment it left my house, and I bought a second NIB (first run) months later and still have that machine. Don't think it will ever leave my collection.. and I know I mean never on this one.

I'm wondering how long I'll be holding on to this one. No machine this past year has really held my attention for more than a couple of months, but nearing the one month mark with IM, I am still playing the hell out of it. Lots of good challenge involved, and it's a game that always requires skill. That appeals to me and I'm still really digging the machine.

7 months later
#301 7 years ago

Other dudes beat me to it, ha. I agree with setting Monger to the hardest settings (both the letters and the start shot).

With the Super Pops thing, it was a non-issue for me because they were small points. If I wanted to cash them in, I'd hit the center shot, but I was usually focusing on other things when I played.

3 months later
#326 7 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Whoa - congrats! I guess I stand corrected - no need for any Extra Ball improvements after all!

Set your game to competition mode with Extra Ball settings on default. Should award an EB on the fourth or fifth mystery award on the War Machine shot. Of course, you have to make sure you're constantly collecting the shields and actually hitting the WM shot, otherwise you will never see an Extra Ball. I saw them very consistently on my machine.

#330 7 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Thanks - I'll check that out.
I have noticed during various games I've played that the EXTRA BALL insert under the left ramp has been lit, but I've never gotten one by subsequently hitting the ramp. Is this typical? I've had my game set on factory default settings.

In that case you want to double check your settings and make sure EBs are actually set to award EBs. You can have them award points instead which might be what's happening in your situation.

But yes, make sure to set it to Competition Mode as well. This makes the mystery awards less random (not that it really matters much in Iron Man) and gives a clear progression towards extra balls.

10 months later
#340 6 years ago

You can earn an extra ball. If the game is in competition mode, I believe it's the fourth or fifth mystery award.

Also, as a side note, Stern is highly unlikely to ever revisit this code. They have a hard enough time keeping on top of the code with their current games.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 78.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 24.95
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 27.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 87.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Roseville, CA
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 46.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider akm.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/iron-man-ve-again-should-code-be-revisited?tu=akm and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.