(Topic ID: 136541)

Iron Man VE again, should code be revisited?

By Butch2099

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Iron Man code”

• Leave it alone, it's perfect 42 votes
    25%
  • Some tweaking is desired, make the 3rd time the charm! 129 votes
    75%

(171 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

dscn1 (resized).jpg
IMJERICHO.gif
Custom_Image2.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Baiter.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from Butch2099:

With Stern running Iron Man for the 3rd time do you think it's time to tweak the code a bit? Add a few options, nothing major. Make it easier to get to Do or die multiball for example?
Is that too much to ask?

Stern would do itself a huge favor if it made code improvements for their VE releases to reinvigorate interest in the game. As mentioned, DoD Multiball and skill shot are obvious issues, and I didn't see anything in the recent IM code release that is useful for existing customers.

#60 8 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

IM came out during a "cheaper" phase for Stern.

Unless you are referring to IM Classic, this is just not true. IM Pro is has the same number of features as Pros made made today.

#71 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I don't even agree with that. If you update something like Iron Man that really doesn't need an update while leaving other games that actually need code, you'll generate more hostility.

How many other games created in the last 5 years are more relevant than IM and have incomplete code? (Ignore those released in the past year... Stern always takes 1.5 years after release to complete code)

#90 8 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Is this a trick question? It's probably all of them except for MET which is the rare exception to the rule.
Rob

You basically made my point: IM is as good a candidate to finish off as any other Stern game made in the past 5 years... with the following exception: When Lyman is the only coder, count on it being completed at some point. With IM he was only part of the team.

#98 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Except Iron Man *is* complete and therefore does not need finishing off. Asking for the game to be easier does not make it incomplete. Nor should it be a code requirement that every person can get to a wizard mode. It gives the very best players something to strive for.

Complete is a relative term. You can chop out DoD multiball and Jericho and the code will still be complete. ACDC was complete before the last few updates. I get the argument that IM wizard mode should remain difficult, but I'm not sure the near impossible classification is ok... and there is still no earnable extra ball or real skill shot. I'm baffled anyone doens't want at least a minor rule update for a game actively in production, especially considering Stern has 4x as many programmers on staff as they did when IM was created. This is the kind of thing someone can do over a lunch hour.

1 month later
#117 8 years ago
Quoted from EricR:

I was playing some Iron Man today and another thing I would like to see changed in the code occurred to me. Why does Whiplash stop registering hits when Iron Monger is up out of the playfield?

For better or worse there is an intended stacking order you have to abide by. As you said you can start War Machine with Monger up but Whiplash can never be stacked with Monger. You can stack War Machine with either Whiplash or Monger only if you start War Machine first. If Monger is up when starting War machine you can stack with Monger but not Whiplash, and if Monger is down when starting WM, you can stack with Whiplash, but not Monger. This just adds to its challenge and mystique

#120 8 years ago
Quoted from EricR:

I'm not talking about being able to stack the two multiballs (re-reading my post maybe I wasn't clear about that), I'm talking about not locking Whiplash progress out while Iron Monger is being qualified but before the multiball starts.

It wouldn't make sense to allow Whiplash progress if Whiplash multiball cannot be achieved.... which goes back to the stacking rules.

2 weeks later
#168 8 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Did anyone get video of the mode when the glass came off? I wonder if Lyman is aware it is impossible to get to with the glass on or if he is oblivious to that aspect of the code?

Sad to say it but because Lopp did the code with Lyman, any possible refinement is going to have to involve Lopp making the effort. Lyman is the only one at Stern with a strong track record of refining late stage code, but that's always with code that is all his own.

3 weeks later
#236 8 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

So, I just set up my new Iron Man VE Refinery Edition last night. It is my second NIB Iron Man . . . I still haven't seen do or die multiball. I would like a code update that allows me to maybe possibly in one day see the mode.

No one ever legitimately reached DoDMB, correct?

10 months later
#314 7 years ago

The perfect time to do this was when they were already tweaking the code to create the VE. I honestly don't understand why they didn't tweak a couple rules at that point to benefit all owners. It was short sighted, but consistent with their history of code updates (Lyman-owned code excluded).

1 year later
#385 5 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Does any one know if Lyman owns this game? If so, we probably have a shot at an update, if not, we can probably give up on ever getting one.

Lyman only polishes code where he is 100% the author. Lopp was co-author of IM, so that pretty much ensures Lyman won't touch it again... and neither will Lopp.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Roseville, CA
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 24.95
$ 46.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 87.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Baiter.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/iron-man-ve-again-should-code-be-revisited?tu=Baiter and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.