(Topic ID: 136541)

Iron Man VE again, should code be revisited?

By Butch2099

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Iron Man code”

• Leave it alone, it's perfect 42 votes
    25%
  • Some tweaking is desired, make the 3rd time the charm! 129 votes
    75%

(171 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

dscn1 (resized).jpg
IMJERICHO.gif
Custom_Image2.jpg

There are 403 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 9.
#251 8 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Really? I thought default was wide open?

I should clarify just in case: the VE came with it 1 up from bottom. I do not know what the 2010 version came as - my bad on that one.

#252 8 years ago

Is it wrong to be a bottom hole guy? I say not on IM! Bottom holers unite!

#253 8 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Is it wrong to be a bottom hole guy? I say not on IM! Bottom holers unite!

I say you put the posts where it makes the game most fun to you. If you're not enjoying the game, that is a "no go" situation for me. It is good to challenge yourself, but if you're hating the game more than enjoying it, I say it does not hurt to make adjustments as needed.

Once you gain mastery of it with the posts all the way in, move them out a little to challenge yourself some more, and then choose what's right for you .

#254 8 years ago

Do or Die Multiball request code bump.

#255 8 years ago

Should take approx 5 min to code this request bump.

#256 8 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Do or Die Multiball request code bump.

Lol...You do really want to keep this thread going until you get an update!

My point of starting this thread was that I felt that if they were running a game 3x that a few tweaks shouldn't be out of the question. This isn't a title that's long gone & coded pretty good. It's a title that they have made 3X now... A few tweaks would go a long way with the community I would think...

#257 8 years ago
Quoted from Butch2099:

Lol...You do really want to keep this thread going until you get an update!

Yup, at least till Stern provides some level of feedback.

#258 8 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Really? I thought default was wide open?

I have an original version which had posts located one down from top and is where I have kept mine. Maybe different factory workers assembled games different ways.

#259 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballcorpse:

I have an original version which had posts located one down from top and is where I have kept mine. Maybe different factory workers assembled games different ways.

So original was one down from top and VE was one up from bottom.

#260 8 years ago

I'm sure that Kiss and Wrestlemania owners would be thrilled to learn that the priority for Stern's programming department is playing around with the rules on a game that's already fully coded.

#261 8 years ago
Quoted from Circus_Animal:

I'm sure that Kiss and Wrestlemania owners would be thrilled to learn that the priority for Stern's programming department is playing around with the rules on a game that's already fully coded.

One can only hope so.

#262 8 years ago

What is being asked for would likely take 10 min tops to do. Same thing with the H drop target in Avengers.

#263 8 years ago
Quoted from RDReynolds:

What is being asked for would likely take 10 min tops to do. Same thing with the H drop target in Avengers.

Exactly right. It would be quick and easy and it's on a game Stern is still making that sold well.

There is zero reason for stern not to do this. It should make the owners of other games needing code feel better and not worse. It means stern really will finish a game and make it even better.

#264 8 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Exactly right. It would be quick and easy and it's on a game Stern is still making that sold well.
There is zero reason for stern not to do this. It should make the owners of other games needing code feel better and not worse. It means stern really will finish a game and make it even better.

+1

#265 8 years ago

This was something X-Men owners had to live with when Tron was getting a code update. At the time X-men was almost unplayable and Tron was already great.

But X-men was so broken it took years to untangle the mess.

But the point is, a code update for IM with a skill shot like Tron where you can control the post with holding the left flipper and an adjustment to the requirements of DOD MB (plus maybe a good final polish to the dots or lights) would take not much effort.

#266 8 years ago

Well, this poll is 72% to 28%. Seems pretty strong in favor of an update of some kind.

I wonder how long Stern's license is good to make VEs.

#267 8 years ago

slingshot power should be adjustable like all other recent sterns...

#268 8 years ago
Quoted from gawcol:

slingshot power should be adjustable like all other recent sterns...

That would be a nice feature but perhaps the game doesn't have the capability from a hardware perspective?

#269 8 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

That would be a nice feature but perhaps the game doesn't have the capability from a hardware perspective?

other games with same boards have it though... I always put my coils on soft and slingshots on half power

#270 8 years ago

I am really considering getting an IMVE. Gotta admit tho, i am scared. It just kicks my butt when i get a chance to play it. And i do not want a pin that i can never play more than 5 mins per game. Does it get better with this machine?

I am finding tho that when i play machines with a lot of "holes" (where the ball goes under the machine and comes back out elsewhere) gets boring fast to me. Takes up too much time. I even played MM recently, and while it is great, i think sitting thru all of those times where the ball is being held up and its telling you about yet another bonus-something would get boring to me.

#271 8 years ago
Quoted from Ricflair:

I am really considering getting an IMVE. Gotta admit tho, i am scared. It just kicks my butt when i get a chance to play it. And i do not want a pin that i can never play more than 5 mins per game. Does it get better with this machine?
I am finding tho that when i play machines with a lot of "holes" (where the ball goes under the machine and comes back out elsewhere) gets boring fast to me. Takes up too much time. I even played MM recently, and while it is great, i think sitting thru all of those times where the ball is being held up and its telling you about yet another bonus-something would get boring to me.

If you play it enough you'll find you'll have some good "long" games on it, relatively speaking. Especially when it's your own home game, you can learn the little nuances that help keep the ball in play. Plus you can move the outlane posts down to the easiest spot and then make the game more difficult/challenging as you get better. Also, adjusting your tilt bob to allow for more aggressive nudging will help get you longer ball times as well as make you a better pinball player.

#272 8 years ago
Quoted from Ricflair:

Hmmm....you want a game that's super fast but has longer ball times. IM is a very short ball time game....always will be (unless you outright block your outlanes). I've had mine for 10 months now and have TWO games over 10 minutes.....two. Best game I can think of that fits your description would be ST. Super fast but you can get some longer games on it.....not LOTR long but over 30 minutes.

Just for a comparison I had a game on LOTR that last over 2 hours on factory settings.....and more games than I could count that lasted over an hour.

LOTR is gone and IM is staying.....but that's just my preference.

#273 8 years ago

yeah, i am still learning my preferences, honestly.
t800 - how long are ur im games typically?

astro - u said in ten mos u've had 2 games over 10 mins on im and countless over an hour on lotr - that's funny. but what's interesting is that u are keeping the im. maybe i just assume that 5-10 min games are too short. maybe that's a sweet spot tho when it's as intense as im is.??

i am going to the tx pinball festival in dallas in march, so i'll play a ton of machines there. i did find the one convention i went to frustrating in the sense that u can't hear the machines - which is important.

right now i am kind of thinking IM and soon after a WCS or NGG to balance it out. also a big elvis fan, but have never gotten to play an elvis pin that was working properly. we'll see.

#274 8 years ago

Like I said.....just my preference. I like tough games in general. LOTR is a great game.....if you enjoy long journeys and playing by yourself

ST is the best game I've come across as far as a good mix of speed and intensity with some longer games.

Fast and brutal - IM is king and BSD is a close second.
Long journeys - LOTR is king.

WCS is a great game.....much easier than IM but very fun and approachable to new players. Getting to the final world cup battle against Germany is always intense. I haven't played a lot of Elvis but it seemed pretty decent the few times I have.

#275 8 years ago
Quoted from Ricflair:

maybe i just assume that 5-10 min games are too short.

If you have guests over and play games with them then you do not want a LOTR's type game or really even a ST type game...people get bored watching the others play, people go and start single player games on the machine next to the one the large group is on.

Iron Man is perfect for having 3 or 4 player games on it.

#276 8 years ago

Did anyone find the answer on whether the code was possible to receive an update?

#277 8 years ago
Quoted from PavBall:

Did anyone find the answer on whether the code was possible to receive an update?

+1

2 months later
#279 8 years ago

What would it cost to pay Stern to make the code update? Find out and create a Kick Starter campaign for it.

1 month later
#280 7 years ago

Well then...I guess you guys aren't too serious about it then.

#281 7 years ago

I would not be surprised at all if Lyman surprised us all with a code update.

#283 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballpal:

I would be surprised, but only because surprises surprise me.

#284 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballpal:

It couldn't require that much effort due to how awesome code is already. Question is whether Gary would authorize him to his divert time away from other important stuff to code it. I say bring it on, Lyman.

1 month later
#285 7 years ago

Played an iron man yesterday with the pop up post disabled to make the skill shot a real challenge. Was very fun!

#286 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballshark:

What would it cost to pay Stern to make the code update? Find out and create a Kick Starter campaign for it.

I don't know if anyone knows?

#287 7 years ago
Quoted from PavBall:

Played an iron man yesterday with the pop up post disabled to make the skill shot a real challenge. Was very fun!

That's how I set it up, not just skill shot but every orbit is a loop makes it play fast.

#288 7 years ago
Quoted from rai:

That's how I set it up, not just skill shot but every orbit is a loop makes it play fast.

It's how I keep mine now as well. I've spent a lot of time playing it both ways and I prefer it disabled.

1 week later
#289 7 years ago

I disabled mine, too. It really opens up the flow on this game even more. I like it. I also changed the Start Monger setting to hard. You got to hit that center shot to make it start. It just comes up too often and gets in the way of other objectives when its on easy.

#290 7 years ago

I disabled mine, too. It really opens up the flow on this game even more. I like it. I also changed the Start Monger setting to hard. You got to hit that center shot to make it start. It just comes up too often and gets in the way of other objectives when its on easy.

Ditto

Plus set Monger (letters) to extra hard.

Otherwise it spots you IRON MO----

#291 7 years ago

I was thinking about that when I was playing it last night. Good idea. Time to make the change.

#292 7 years ago

I also changed the Start Monger setting to hard. You got to hit that center shot to make it start. It just comes up too often and gets in the way of other objectives when its on easy.

Hmm, great thought. I will make that change as well.

#293 7 years ago

Unfortunately, you're disabling Super Pops if you do this. You guys notice how each shot, left right and center will light up a pop cap (red, yellow and orange). When you light them all, you WANT the ball to get diverted to the pops. Disabling the post for a skill shot and flow is a detriment to the game, which has plenty of flow regardless.

#294 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Unfortunately, you're disabling Super Pops if you do this. You guys notice how each shot, left right and center will light up a pop cap (red, yellow and orange). When you light them all, you WANT the ball to get diverted to the pops. Disabling the post for a skill shot and flow is a detriment to the game, which has plenty of flow regardless.

I had no idea. That's a good point. Stern has certainly sold enough IM units where they could invest a small amount of LS's time to make the couple minor changes we are suggesting and make the game better.

#295 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Good point but you can also get into the pops via center shot.

But I forgot about the super pops have to keep an eye on that.

#296 7 years ago

I also changed the Start Monger setting to hard. You got to hit that center shot to make it start. It just comes up too often and gets in the way of other objectives when its on easy.

I know it sounds counterintuitive, but the game is harder when Monger is set to easy (factory), specifically because it gets in the way. A flailing shot that goes through the orbit brings you closer to having to go through shooting Monger risking drains.

Obviously your game, your setup. I just prefer it set on factory.

#297 7 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I know it sounds counterintuitive, but the game is harder when Monger is set to easy (factory), specifically because it gets in the way. A flailing shot that goes through the orbit brings you closer to having to go through shooting Monger risking drains.

True, but that is a frustrating way to make a game more challenging. I don't like being punished for an unintended but made shot by an opstical appearing.

#298 7 years ago

Friggin IM does not need to be more challenging! Set Monger to HARD.....way more fun. Superpops are not a huge factor in IM and IMHO do not outweigh the fun of having that outer lane open and a real skill shot. As I've said....I spent a lot of time playing it both ways and I prefer it disabled overall. Though I might still turn in on from time to time just to change things up.

Oh....and nailing the right ramp right off an auto ball launch (with the post disabled of course) is a sweet shot.

Lately I've been going after "Spell Iron Man" right from the start. I always thought those were really dangerous shots but it turns out they are not that bad. Plus I tend to pick up a few free Whiplash hits when shooting the left side "Iron" targets. Then I try to start "Bogey" just as I start "Fast Scoring" then try in pull in Monger plus War Machine or Whiplash. Most games I get to Jericho before my third ball (I also have Jericho set to carryover). I still need to work on a 2x DoD though.....haven't hit it yet with 2x running.

#299 7 years ago

I do set my Monger setting harder...I find it has a better long term gameplay benefit - you get the opportunity to get some other stuff going and have better stacking choices if he takes a little longer to come up.

Quoted from rai:

Good point but you can also get into the pops via center shot.

Ah, good point - so yeah, you can still get Super Pops then...you just have to hit the center shot to get them. Oh well, to each their own - I like the diverter ...I like how it holds the ball for Monger's "entrance". Yeah, it makes the skill shot super easy...it would be nice if you could disable it for skill shot only, but leave it on for Super Pops and Monger start.

#300 7 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Ditto
Plus set Monger (letters) to extra hard.
Otherwise it spots you IRON MO----

I actually agree with RobT on this one: making the Monger "extra hard" actually makes the game easier to play, because he stays out of your way a lot longer. With factory defaults, the bastard keeps coming back up when you don't want him to.

EDIT: DaveH beat me to it

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy
Protection
There are 403 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/iron-man-ve-again-should-code-be-revisited/page/6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.