(Topic ID: 136541)

Iron Man VE again, should code be revisited?

By Butch2099

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Iron Man code”

• Leave it alone, it's perfect 42 votes
    25%
  • Some tweaking is desired, make the 3rd time the charm! 129 votes
    75%

(171 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

dscn1 (resized).jpg
IMJERICHO.gif
Custom_Image2.jpg
There are 403 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 9.
#1 8 years ago

With Stern running Iron Man for the 3rd time do you think it's time to tweak the code a bit? Add a few options, nothing major. Make it easier to get to Do or die multiball for example?
Is that too much to ask?

#2 8 years ago

nah it's fine

#3 8 years ago

My biggest want is add a super skill shot. The existing one is a joke. Throw one in like Metallica's and I'd be thrilled.

Making Do or Die MB obtainable would be nice. At least add an adjustment to bring the drone requirement in line with the rest of the requirements.

Add these and it's a perfect game. Leave it alone and it's still a great game.

#4 8 years ago

Like the previous poster said, a super skill shot like MET would be a great addition.

#5 8 years ago

Yes, both
- added/better skill shot
- make it easier to get DoD mb. I feel this game only has two goals, DoD and Jericho, and it could have three (realistic) goals. The super jp on Monger is perfect, but the others are just too crazy difficult. All it takes is a very simple tweak to the rules, so that the main objectives have individual difficulty settings. C'mon Stern, this is really easy stuff. Would be great to have games where you get 3 or 4 flashing inserts and that oh-so-close feeling to getting all 5. Most games end with 0 or 1.

#6 8 years ago

has no attract sounds

#7 8 years ago

Do or Die Multiball needs to be actually attainable. If this tweak could be made (and maybe something with the skill shot) it would be the perfect game.

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Do or Die Multiball needs to be actually attainable. If this tweak could be made (and maybe something with the skill shot) it would be the perfect game.

I find it to be attainable and love the challenge! I wouldn't want them to change a thing. I actually kind of miss when the DOD Jackpot started at 50 million (it's now 35 Million).

#9 8 years ago

Super skill shot would be nice. Attract sounds too.

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from Khabbi:

I find it to be attainable and love the challenge! I wouldn't want them to change a thing. I actually kind of miss when the DOD Jackpot started at 50 million (it's now 35 Million).

You've actually done it? I have never heard of someone legitimately doing it. If so, congrats!

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from Khabbi:

You are one of the few. I've never even sniffed it. I wish I could just adjust the settings to make it easier.

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

You've actually done it? I have never heard of someone legitimately doing it. If so, congrats!

In a game that's been run 3x now DOD Jackpot multiball just be a rumor or a glass off achievement... Small tweaks should be easy enough to do!

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from Butch2099:

In a game that's been run 3x now DOD Jackpot shouldn't just be a rumor or a glass off achievement... Small tweaks should be easy enough to do!

Just to be clear, we are not talking about the DOD jackpot/hurry-up. We are talking about DOD Multiball. Two completely different animals. DOD jackpot/hurry-up is definitely obtainable but is very difficult, as it should be. DOD Multiball? Unobtainable to mortals.

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

You are one of the few. I've never even sniffed it. I wish I could just adjust the settings to make it easier.

Oh wait, I'm an idiot, I missed the "multiball" in your post. Put me down as not getting that far, sorry for my confusion. I do love the Do or Die one ball jackpot, however, to me it makes the game. I've owned IM since it was originally released, sold it for a short few months, then added a NIB (original edition) back into my collection.. It's one of my favorite pins of all time.

I do believe pinballcorpse in Florida has actually gotten the DOD multiball if I remember correctly.

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

It's pretty obvious -> the poster did NOT get DOD multiball. I'm sure he's mixing up DOD Multiball with the DOD Hurry Up.

Edit: post crossed with poster's realization of the difference.

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from T7:

It's pretty obvious -> the poster did NOT get DOD multiball. I'm sure he's mixing up DOD Multiball with the DOD Hurry Up.

Yep. My bad!

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from Butch2099:

With Stern running Iron Man for the 3rd time do you think it's time to tweak the code a bit? Add a few options, nothing major. Make it easier to get to Do or die multiball for example?
Is that too much to ask?

Stern would do itself a huge favor if it made code improvements for their VE releases to reinvigorate interest in the game. As mentioned, DoD Multiball and skill shot are obvious issues, and I didn't see anything in the recent IM code release that is useful for existing customers.

#18 8 years ago

The simplest thing to do would be to make each stand up target jackpot in War Machine MB count toward your collection of total drones for a flashing Drones insert (a la DOD MB).

Making Bogeythe 5th insert would have really been the best solution, but I don't expect that to change.

#19 8 years ago

I'm not sure if DoD MB should be more attainable....should Valinor be more attainable? Should TSPP Super Duper Whatever Wiz mode be more attainable? I've never been to those wiz modes either.

I wonder if Lyman can get it. If he can't get it, then yeah they should make it more attainable lol

#20 8 years ago

I would like the fast scoring and 2x counter to pause during the Jericho starting cinematics.

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from Khabbi:

Oh wait, I'm an idiot, I missed the "multiball" in your post. Put me down as not getting that far, sorry for my confusion.

Haha! You were so matter of fact by getting there I was thinking how glad I was you weren't in a league anywhere near me!!! Ha!

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

I would like the fast scoring and 2x counter to pause during the Jericho starting cinematics.

That would be great as well.

#23 8 years ago
Quoted from Khabbi:

I do believe pinballcorpse in Florida has actually gotten the DOD multiball if I remember correctly.

Did he?

It's possible as he is a great player and has owned IM for a long time. But he's the one who posted that thread about the "near impossibility of achieving DoD Multiball."

Quoted from Rarehero:

I'm not sure if DoD MB should be more attainable....should Valinor be more attainable?

DoD MB is much more difficult to obtain than Valinor. I say that as someone who has made it to Valinor, and has never got closer than half way to DoD MB. And I still own IM.

#24 8 years ago

Here is a post from Jeff in that thread that he started about DoD MB:

Quoted from pinballcorpse:

Maybe it is all relative and I need to work on my skills.
I've owned this game for almost 5 years, and for Stern games, DoDMB is by far the hardest thing to accomplish on factory settings I have ever tried to do. I don't pretend that I am anywhere near the skill level of the front page, world class A-list players out there, but I think through my years of flailing around I have a handle on what type of mode is difficult to achieve.
The list below is not meant to brag, but more in an attempt to support my contention that I understand the effort needed to reach a mini or major mode in a game and that DoDMB is beyond my depth on factory settings. I think the modes below would constitute shooting well under par, to use your golf analogy, since wizard modes are not considered par.
In fact, I think reaching DoDMB on factory settings would be like shooting in the high 50s-in other words, one phenomenal round.
On modern Sterns, with factory settings, I have completed Alien Invasion (and all of the other individual SDMEWM requirements), as well as fairly challenging-to-reach modes such as completing Jericho on the game in question, reached Valinor, Portal, Gauntlet of the Pirates (mode after completing 4 winds), I have completed Superhero, reached Sperm Attack, completed Danger Room, saved Gotham City, Completed Boss mode, and reached many, many other modes.
Further, I just don't hear of hardly anyone even talking about DoDMB, because, again IMO based on my knowledge of the game in factory settings, it is that hard to achieve. (I have the same basic thought about Gauntlet points on POTC which people claim is an easy game. Reaching 4 winds is one thing, finishing it to play for Gauntlet points is quite another task).
Anyway to you and those that have reached DoDMB, I say congratulations, that is a heck of a feat.
I need to go practice

#25 8 years ago

I wonder what it would take for Stern to make DoD MB more attainable for us. It sure would get them a bunch of good will.

#26 8 years ago

Incorporate Sabbath's Iron man in there somewherem maybe attract mode or as a background music option.

#27 8 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Incorporate Sabbath's Iron Man in there somewherem maybe attract mode or as a background music option.

I like this version.

#28 8 years ago

Yes the code SHOULD be updated with a few minor-ish tweaks as suggested.

Will it be? OF COURSE NOT. It is nice to dream though. Those attract sounds must be murder to program

#29 8 years ago

The code is fine. It's not incomplete. And being too hard doesn't mean it needs to be investigated. There area plenty of other goals that are achievable. Also stern isn't having problems selling the reruns so this confirms the game is fine.

#30 8 years ago

It needs a real skill shot.

Also needs another way to earn an extra ball, maybe X amount of ramps.

And yes, make do or die multiball a realistic thing.

#31 8 years ago

I found disabling the outer loop pop up post at least made it a skill shot.

#32 8 years ago

Ok, I've been saying don't change a thing because the game is perfection. And I'm not even close to finishing Jericho. However, yes, Do Or Die Multiball should be attainable by the best players. Iron Man is a rush. A brutal pinball assault of your senses. My game isn't going to last 3 minutes anyway, so let me dream that it is possible. A quick tweak and I'd be happy, even though I'll probably never get there.

#33 8 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

I found disabling the outer loop pop up post at least made it a skill shot.

It also negates one of the better scoring features of the game.

#34 8 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

It also negates one of the better scoring features of the game.

Also made the game a lot faster!

edit----I did it on metallica too, love the speed!

#35 8 years ago

I finished Jericho after 1year. Could not believe it when I Made the final shot.

I always wonder about the people who don't like IM because it has "too shallow" rules? Do they complete Jericho all the time and need to dig deeper? Do they like the comfort of playing longer on LOTR or TSPP for a longer play time, but still go nowhere?

#36 8 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Do they complete Jericho all the time and need to dig deeper?

Yes.

#37 8 years ago

I finished Jericho after 1year. Could not believe it when I Made the final shot.
I always wonder about the people who don't like IM because it has "too shallow" rules? Do they complete Jericho all the time and need to dig deeper? Do they like the comfort of playing longer on LOTR or TSPP for a longer play time, but still go nowhere?

Well I was "one of them" for years. Dig back and you will see me saying stuff like "it's a one ball game". It just seemed dumb to have so much rely on one ball in a game. In other words, I didn't get it. And then I bought one. I was converted very quickly once I got some real time on the game in my house.

#38 8 years ago

I disabled the pop up post on mine too. I love the flow it created. But my scores do suck most of the time. What better scoring features does it negate?

#39 8 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

Just to be clear, we are not talking about the DOD jackpot/hurry-up. We are talking about DOD Multiball. Two completely different animals. DOD jackpot/hurry-up is definitely obtainable but is very difficult, as it should be. DOD Multiball? Unobtainable to mortals.

Edited to multiball...

I'm just saying if you are going to run a game 3x is it that hard to make what "should" be a few tweaks or allow some adjustments to be made? (ex, difficulty setting for DOD multiball). Avengers has settings to make the goals easier/harder. Or other things that people here are suggesting? Everything seems reasonable. It's not like we are asking for totally new code.

#40 8 years ago
Quoted from Butch2099:

Everything seems reasonable. It's not like we are asking for totally new code.

The one issue with that is that we don't know. IM came out during a "cheaper" phase for Stern. So we really don't know the internal state of the code. Sometimes things that should be trivial can be not just difficult, but then to get them into production they need to be tested in every way they could execute. Sometimes it's tougher than it looks.

#41 8 years ago

TM, are you referring to reaching Jericho or completing Jericho?

Much like Crank It Up on Met. Starting it is one thing. Completing it is much harder.

#42 8 years ago
Quoted from rawbars:

I disabled the pop up post on mine too. I love the flow it created. But my scores do suck most of the time. What better scoring features does it negate?

The easy skill shot every time? More shield awards and pop bumper awards? Edit - Super Pops

I disabled my pop up post 3-4 months ago and it played liked a whole new game for me.

#43 8 years ago

How often would you say you completed Jericho?

#44 8 years ago

The easy skill shot every time? More shield awards and pop bumper awards?
I disabled my pop up post 3-4 months ago and it played liked a whole new game for me.

I think the reference is to super pops.

#45 8 years ago

How often would you say you completed Jericho?

dozens. but to clarify, I've never complained about the rules either. They are awesome. IM is awesome. I just dont have unlimited room so i cant have an example of every type of game in he house. IM is only one game. Regardless of how good that game is, it is always the same game. There are not multiple ways to approach it. You walk up to it, arm wrestle for a few minutes then either get owned or you nail that sucker. Cool, but always the same.

#46 8 years ago
#47 8 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

. Sometimes it's tougher than it looks.

I agree with the sentiment mostly, but it also falls under the "pinball is hard category".

It is obvious that IM is one of Stern's gems, I think it deserves that last little bit of polish. Stern just says shut up and give us some more cash

#48 8 years ago

oh the shame of editing failz...

#49 8 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

dozens. but to clarify, I've never complained about the rules either. They are awesome. IM is awesome. I just dont have unlimited room so i cant have an example of every type of game in he house. IM is only one game. Regardless of how good that game is, it is always the same game. There are not multiple ways to approach it. You walk up to it, arm wrestle for a few minutes then either get owned or you nail that sucker. Cool, but always the same.

Impressive. I own a NIB IMVE but have not opened the box due to lack of space. I have the high score at my local arcade in Nashville and that happened when I completed Jericho (once and only once). The score remains at 130K and change. That was very unexpected. Most of the high scores on the games (over 90 pins total but I am referring to the newer Stern titles with tough wizard modes (10)) are the owners who is a better player than me. I am sure many folks have completed Jericho but to complete it dozens of times is amazing to this player.

I say that to qualify what most already know about the difficult gameplay.

Have you made it to DoD MB? If not, how close?

Forgot, I would like the skill shot. I think the unicorn of pinball will likely remain as is regardless, but it would be nice if it was more easily achieved.

#50 8 years ago

Well, it seems like the general consensus is:

We only need two things (1) an easier path to DoD MB, and (2) a real skill shot.

These requests are not many. How can we let Stern know we want these? Would Stern care?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Roseville, CA
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 46.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 24.95
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 87.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

There are 403 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/iron-man-ve-again-should-code-be-revisited and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.