• 59 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Astropin
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

photo3.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider captain_kirk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 9 years ago

Start Trek Pro or Premium?

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

And yeah, as other have said, if Metallica Pro is an option, it crushes both IM and ST.

Sorry, it doesn't crush a Star Trek Premium.

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yeah cause a bunch of fancy lights, a few thousand dollars extra, and a kickback somehow make the game more interesting to play.
Metallica pro > Star Trek LE
But what the hell...STTNG is way better than any of these games and they are floating around for $3700 now. That'd be my choice.

The light show is worth the price of admission alone. Nothing else like it on the market.

STTNG? Great integrated theme no doubt, but not all the fun to play. Drain monster and the cannons slow the game down. Stern's Star Trek is MUCH faster, and doesn't look like it's running off a 9-volt battery! Seriously, look at a STTNG next to a Stern Star Trek. That's what it looks like.

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You like looking at games.
I like playing them.
STTNG is my favorite game to play. Of all time.
But of course it's all subjective.

Yes...because you know......I actually LOOK at my pin while playing it.

And some of my critique of STTNG was how it played (drains, cannons, speed).

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

One is obnoxiously bright & the other is STTNG. Seriously 38% of the reason I didn;t buy ST was how bright the frikkin thing is, and I love LEDs.
Yes ST is much faster than STTNG...I'm not that impressed with sheer speed of a game though. Just my opinion.

38% huh?

Stern's Star Trek is THE pin to play in the dark!

I can't look at 9-volt pins anymore....

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from DrZhivago:

I have played both and like both. I am huge Star Trek fan but I feel like the code is lacking and not challenging enough. Kobiashu maru isn't challenging to get to. I do want a challenging game so I can practice for league play..

Hold on to your potatoes! Next update is going to be huge!

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

Don't time out the modes - shoot for points. That should keep L1 missions a bit more exciting. Also, I imagine 2nd and 3rd ST wizard modes are crazy tough (to get to).
Having played both, I prefer the depth of ST myself.

Hoosier common sense! I like it!

#73 9 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

STTNG lit well with LED's looks every bit as good as Stern ST. I know, I have them setting side by side on location. As for it being a drain monster, it isn't once you learn how to nudge the game correctly. The geometry is different than most games. As for the cannons, only one mode uses them, so I don't get the point of it slowing down the game.
As per the ops question. If it is for home use I would buy a Met Pro at this point only because the code is better. I think ST could be better in the long run if they give the code an overhaul. I like IM a lot, but I don't think I would want it in a one game collection.

LOL! Not unless you've rigged it to have color changing LED's.

Also, I doubt you GI on your updated STTNG is as bright as the new Stern.

#74 9 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Yes it does.

Nope.

#76 9 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

Pretty sure he is talking about the Pro which doesn't have color changing LEDs. As for the GI being as bright, you are wrong.

All my statements revolve around the Premium/LE.

Doubtful, but still lacking without the color changing LED's.

#93 9 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

This guy cracks me up.
Dude, STTNG slays ST in every conceivable way.
You want bright?
Strap a couple Kleig stadium lights into a beater EM. You'll have the greatest, bestests, most awesomest BRIGHTEST pinball machine in history.
It'll make STLE look like it's powered by a 9-volt battery! Or a slug on a treadmill.

Slays in no way.

Ramble on all you want.......but your knee-jerk reaction to something coming along and besting your 20 year old Pin is transparent.

#104 9 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

Nothing kneejerk here. I have owned a Stern Star Trek since launch and I love the game, but STTNG is a far superior game at this point with the current state of the ST code.

Well, the code's not finished on Stern's so that particular comparison (one I wasn't even making) is on hold.

The comparisons I was making involves the physical game itself. Stern's Star Trek is much faster, flows better, has a substantially better light show (LE/Premium), has a superior interactive toy (Vengeance vs. lame Lore Borg ship) and is less of a drain monster.

#119 9 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I could see how people aren't very good players, and whose mpression of a game is influenced primarily by how "bright" a game is could feel this way.
Skilled players learn to work with the drains on the far superior, better flowing STTNG, but certainly ST is better for beginner players. [hint: don't miss, don't flail, and learn to control the ball, and the "monster drains" aren't much of an issue.]
What I don't understand is how someone who is that impressed by light shows and brightness would prefer the do-nothing Vengeance ship (IT SHAKES!!!!) to the borg ship, which actually shoots the ball at you in three dimensional fashion.
It just goes to show there's a game for everyone! That's why pinball is so fabulous.

Your reply makes little to no sense.....which seems to be a pattern.

When I've commented on lights, I'm only commenting on that aspect. I've never said it makes the game play better, only it's an aesthetic that I really appreciate. But I guess you read what you want to.

To state STTNG flows better than Stern's Star Trek is laughable. It's a widebody for Christ's sake! And the cannons kill the flow. The damn thing was originally going to be "Under Siege ", which is why the cannons are there. Stern's Star Trek was designed from day one to be a Star Trek game.

Vengeance a "do-nothing toy"? The Borg ship is a do-nothing toy. First, it's the lame Lore/Borg ship instead of the iconic cube. Seconds, it acts as a scoop and shoots a ball out in one mode. The Vengeance acts as a scoop, shakes when hit in combat, rapidly returns your fire back at you, and collapse when defeated. There are three different Vengeance modes where this combat takes place, not just one like STTNG. The Vengeance is a vastly superior toy to your lame Lore/Borg ship.

#133 9 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

How do the cannons interrupt flow any worse than the dumb drop target lock on ST? That thing takes just as long or longer than loading and shooting the cannon on STTNG. Also, if you are constantly hitting the cannon on STTNG you are playing it wrong.
They flow about the same if you ask me. A properly set up STTNG plays really fast and the ramps ALL return to the inlanes, unlike ST where the warp ramp just goes to the upper flipper. Your argument doesn't make sense to me. Again I own a ST, I am not a hater.

Your argument doesn't make sense to me. How is the drop target any different from any other scoop on any other game? Same delay. Cannons are slower.

#137 9 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

If you are in a mode on St, and the vengeance shot is lit and also lit for lock, and you hit that shot, it takes the game up to 5 seconds to recognize both shots then release the dribbling ball back to the playfield. STTNG preloads the balls on the up kickers for the cannons so as soon as you hit the shot the ball is loaded into the cannon and I usually have my shot away on the first pass, all of which might take 3 seconds. I have played both games hundreds of times at this point.

That's cute that you've played both games hundreds of times. You're very manly.

STTNG plays slower than Stern's Star Trek. Period.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 46.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 78.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider captain_kirk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/iron-man-vault-edition-vs-star-trek?tu=captain_kirk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.