Topic Stats

• 149 posts
  • 59 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Astropin
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

photo3.JPG

There are 149 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 6 years ago

I am going to buy my first pin and I am thinking of going straight to NIB. Right now I am thinking IM or ST. Any advice would be great!

#3 6 years ago

Rather have ST personally.

#4 6 years ago

Monster- why?

#5 6 years ago

Why the preference?

#6 6 years ago

Start Trek Pro or Premium?

#7 6 years ago

IM's code is finished and awesome.

#8 6 years ago

They both are fun games but get old.

Iron Man, if you aren't playing competitively and are going instead for high scores, there's really only one way to play: Set up 2x scoring, set up do or die, and then try to get 2X Do or Die. That's the only way to do it. So you'll find yourself hitting "restart" all the time if you louse it up.

Star Trek - it's a fun game but again it's repetitive...getting all the modes the second time around is basically impossible, so once you've gotten Kobyashi Maru you are again just going for the same multiballs over and over again.

Metallica is the one I'd go for if I were in the market. There's more software coming for Star Trek so the book isn't closed on that one yet.

#9 6 years ago

I never found IM that fun of a game. It's tough to be sure, but it's more of a layout thing I just don't care for.

EDIT: Metallica over both very very easily.

#10 6 years ago

Agreed - Metallica over both at this point.

Both are fun games. If you like a challenge then IM would be the better pick as it can just be brutal. If you like a bit more depth then ST is the game. Right now the code in ST isn't all that great. It's decent but not as polished as it should and will be. I think ST has the greater potential but comparing the games as they sit today I would go for IM.

#11 6 years ago

I've spent plenty of time on both games and enjoy each of them for different reasons. They offer contrasting play styles which are hard to compare. One is brutal, out of control, and shallow. The other is smooth, flowing, and deep(er). You can't go wrong either way, but I voted with my dollars and bought an IM VE.

Part of the reason I didn't pull the trigger on ST is that I was torn between the costs & benefits of the Pro & LE editions, ultimately choosing nether. Option paralysis, perhaps? There's only one IM, and it's great. (Yes, I know the original IM and VE are different, but they're very close. Definitely not a Pro vs. LE situation.)

#12 6 years ago

And yeah, as others have said, if Metallica Pro is an option, it crushes both IM and ST.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from DrZhivago:

Any advice would be great

My advice would be to play them, and decide which YOU like better.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

And yeah, as other have said, if Metallica Pro is an option, it crushes both IM and ST.

Sorry, it doesn't crush a Star Trek Premium.

#15 6 years ago

star trek all the way !!

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Yeah cause a bunch of fancy lights, a few thousand dollars extra, and a kickback somehow make the game more interesting to play.

Metallica pro > Star Trek LE

But what the hell...STTNG is way better than any of these games and they are floating around for $3700 now. That'd be my choice.

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yeah cause a bunch of fancy lights and a kickback somehow make the game more interesting to play.

Don't forget the tin foil

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yeah cause a bunch of fancy lights, a few thousand dollars extra, and a kickback somehow make the game more interesting to play.
But what the hell...STTNG is way better than any of these games and they are floating around for $3700 now. That'd be my choice.

The light show is worth the price of admission alone. Nothing else like it on the market.

STTNG? Great integrated theme no doubt, but not all the fun to play. Drain monster and the cannons slow the game down. Stern's Star Trek is MUCH faster, and doesn't look like it's running off a 9-volt battery! Seriously, look at a STTNG next to a Stern Star Trek. That's what it looks like.

#19 6 years ago

You like looking at games.

I like playing them.

STTNG is my favorite game to play. Of all time.

But of course it's all subjective.

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You like looking at games.
I like playing them.
STTNG is my favorite game to play. Of all time.
But of course it's all subjective.

Yes...because you know......I actually LOOK at my pin while playing it.

And some of my critique of STTNG was how it played (drains, cannons, speed).

#21 6 years ago

I have played both and like both. I am huge Star Trek fan but I feel like the code is lacking and not challenging enough. Kobiashu maru isn't challenging to get to. I do want a challenging game so I can practice for league play..

#22 6 years ago

Stern's Star Trek is MUCH faster, and doesn't look like it's running off a 9-volt battery! Seriously, look at a STTNG next to a Stern Star Trek. That's what it looks like.

One is obnoxiously bright & the other is STTNG. Seriously 38% of the reason I didn;t buy ST was how bright the frikkin thing is, and I love LEDs.

Yes ST is much faster than STTNG...I'm not that impressed with sheer speed of a game though. Just my opinion.

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

One is obnoxiously bright & the other is STTNG. Seriously 38% of the reason I didn;t buy ST was how bright the frikkin thing is, and I love LEDs.
Yes ST is much faster than STTNG...I'm not that impressed with sheer speed of a game though. Just my opinion.

38% huh?

Stern's Star Trek is THE pin to play in the dark!

I can't look at 9-volt pins anymore....

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from DrZhivago:

I have played both and like both. I am huge Star Trek fan but I feel like the code is lacking and not challenging enough. Kobiashu maru isn't challenging to get to. I do want a challenging game so I can practice for league play..

Hold on to your potatoes! Next update is going to be huge!

#25 6 years ago

There's a big code update coming for ST. Karl Urban recorded over an hour of custom speech - none of which is in the game yet. In fact, several of the flashers don't work in game yet. I'm optimistic ST will get a MASSIVE code update within the next few months.

#26 6 years ago

38% huh?
Stern's Star Trek is THE pin to play in the dark!

I don't usually play in complete dark.

Maybe 38%. Code played a big part as Metallica was finally done, and I sold a NF to get a NIB and it was the same layout as ST.
I think it's a super fun game, I did pick it over IM in this thread.

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from DrZhivago:

Don't time out the modes - shoot for points. That should keep L1 missions a bit more exciting. Also, I imagine 2nd and 3rd ST wizard modes are crazy tough (to get to).

Having played both, I prefer the depth of ST myself.

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

Don't time out the modes - shoot for points. That should keep L1 missions a bit more exciting. Also, I imagine 2nd and 3rd ST wizard modes are crazy tough (to get to).
Having played both, I prefer the depth of ST myself.

Hoosier common sense! I like it!

#29 6 years ago

Hoosier common sense! I like it!

We're simple folk.

#30 6 years ago

Looking forward to the software update.

Metallica I thought kind of sucked until the quantum leap they made, maybe Star Trek will make the same progress. It certainly has a way to go.

#31 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Metallica I thought kind of sucked until the quantum leap they made, .

Yeah thinking of Metallica without CIU...sad.

#32 6 years ago

I would say ST over IM. But if you like the theme of metallica I would say go with Met pro.
My friend just picked up one and I have to say the new code makes it a great game. Plus its looks built to last. All metal ramps and wireforms. With pretty simple mechanics under the playfield. Not cramped and easy to work on.
Definately looks to be a reliable machine as far as maintaining it goes.

#33 6 years ago

Any idea when the next software update might come. That would influence my decision.

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from DrZhivago:

Any idea when the next software update might come. That would influence my decision.

Honestly, nobody does (and if they do, they really can't say much outside of, "it's coming"). It's all speculation.

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from DrZhivago:

No. I believe SR said at least August. Urban was recorded 3 months ago.

#36 6 years ago

Both are great, I lean a bit towards Ironman myself

Greg
Www.pinballpro.com

#37 6 years ago

Iron Man for sure. I had to have a ST pro. I bought it and it was out of my house within a month. Very shallow and repetitive. I sold that and bought a new IMve. My vote goes to IMve.

#38 6 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

Iron Man for sure. I had to have a ST pro. I bought it and it was out of my house within a month. Very shallow and repetitive. I sold that and bought a new IMve. My vote goes to IMve.

Shallow? Repetitive, I guess...But shallow? How do you figure? There's 18 modes + 3 wizard modes, and the way in which you approach those 18 modes can dramatically impact your scoring. I think the depth is there, but a lot of folks tend to ignore it due to "code being old".

#39 6 years ago

I think ST is a much better game. I like IM but got tired of bashing Monger. Hitting Warp ramp combos never gets old.

#40 6 years ago

Both are great games. I think as it stands now IM is the better game but it can be brutal. ST has real potential and I have a feeling the new code will put it over the top.

#41 6 years ago

Ironman is great but StarTrek is the better overall pin.

#42 6 years ago

I think you guys are crazy. ST feels like a grind right now and needs a code update. If you don't like bashing Monger all the time on IM, set it so he only rises from the center shot. That's how they set it up in tourney play and it's much better.

#43 6 years ago

I think it's what theme you get into. Both are good games but I like Star Trek. With updates coming it would be my pick.

#44 6 years ago

Yes it does.

To the OP pick up an IM now, If & When they fix the clusterf*%k that is ST code pick one up then.

#45 6 years ago

I don't own ST but I have confidence that the code will be great. IM doesn't have as fun of a layout. I vote ST. I will own a ST eventually.

#46 6 years ago

I would lean slightly towards St pro. It is a deeper game already and the code update will tip it. KM multiball isn't easy to get to as you are supposed to build the jackpots for it in the modes so timing out each mode is a waste of time and not the way its meant to be played. there are 18 missions and the way you do them can affect your gameplay etc.

Also bang for buck the ST pro pretty much is the same game as the premium with awesome flow.

All that said Im getting an IMV in about 3 weeks so I will probably change my opinion when that hits the garage floor.

#47 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

The Stern ST is one of the best looking pins around and is no way too bright. Some have changed the GI to purple and blue to give it a more space feel but the pin is vibrant and the lighting brings out the colours and makes the ball very easy to track. All pins in my opinion should have this level of illumination.

And the beauty of it is if you don't like it change the bulbs out.

#48 6 years ago

well now you have me seriously thinking about Metallica...
Guys in our league have both IM and ST but no one has Metallica...
Watched some videos and looks like fun.

#49 6 years ago

'Tallica!

#50 6 years ago

Get a met pro it destroys both ST and IM...you will not be disappointed

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 139.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Summerville, SC
There are 149 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside