New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 139453)

Iron Man - too brutal for kids?

By nosro

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 50 posts
  • 44 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Strummy
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

I need my machines to appeal to my family, which includes kids aged 8 and 14 and their friends.

I have an opportunity to pick up an Iron Man, but I'm concerned with its reputation as being a brutal drain monster that requires good ball control, even with outlane posts moved in. Will this be enjoyable to kids?

#2 5 years ago

Probably not the right fit for the kiddos

#3 5 years ago

It's very brutal.....BUT....it's very FUN also.....cool toy for kids too...they love to watch it go down (Monger)...and try to get him back up.....very easy trade if it is too much........my 2 penny's..............Joey

#4 5 years ago

My five year old loves it.

#5 5 years ago

My 9yr old daughter and I would go head to head on IM more than any other games I have owned. My 70 year old dad played that one the most as well. Why did I sell it

#6 5 years ago

People worry way too damn much about this stuff. You can crank the ballsave time or make it 5 ball if you realy think it'll make a difference for kids. I don't. They are are used to getting their ass kicked on an xbox game until they know what they are doing.

#7 5 years ago

Yes it will be enjoyable to kids…

#8 5 years ago

My 11 and 7 year old both love it. The Monger is fun to bash and they love the theme and movie callouts. Go for it!!!

#9 5 years ago

I often have the neighborhood kids hanging out in my basement with my kids..... the shorter the ball time the better.... Kids have built in ADHD.... It is going to shake out something like this-

They will play Ironman for about 10 minutes, have a lot of fun, leave the game running with 4 players setup, leave the ball in the shooter lane, and play Xbox for the rest of the day....

Seriously though, for most kids not exposed to pinball, shorter ball times and easy objectives are the most popular games in my collection. Right now Sinbad gets a lot more play (by a landslide) than any other pins.

#10 5 years ago

I don't know if there is one pin that appeals to every kid or that every kid dislikes. My 3 kids (all 11 yrs old) are not as into pinball as myself. My boys enjoy playing once in a while and do get excited when I talk about getting a new pin. My two boys really like the Congo I just got even though it's had a lot of issues. They rarely play the ST next to it even though I think that is a good pin for kids. I say just buy what you like and not worry about the kids.

#11 5 years ago

Iron Man is one of my five-year old's favorite pins. I'm not sure kids usually care too much about draining as long as the game has fun shots, crazy magnets, accessible multiballs, cool toys, and familiar themes.

#12 5 years ago

My 5 year old loves it and I think it made my 10 year a better player.

#13 5 years ago

too brutal for most grownups. This game kicks my ass.

#14 5 years ago

Perfect for kids...rules are easy to understand.

#15 5 years ago

Honestly, the few times I've played it, I've gotten pretty good ball times. Sure, it can be difficult to advance through the game, but I wouldn't consider it to be a drain monster. Like with MM or AFM, you just have to be careful how you hit the center toy/target; the iron monger when it comes up.

#16 5 years ago

Yup, my 6 year old daughter loves it and can start Monger multiball on hard. My 14yo son and all his friends prefer it over Metallica because they intuitively know what to shoot for and why they are doing it.

#17 5 years ago

It's my 5yr old nephews favorite game. Get it!

#18 5 years ago

It is my daughter's (age 11) favorite game. Easy to understand basic rules. Bashing things is fun. Playfield design is open so they can see the ball. I would recommend it.

#19 5 years ago

My kids and their friend's loved it. It's pretty easy to raise Iron Monger and it's a great bash toy.

#20 5 years ago

Sounds like the kids will love it. The difficulty of this game is easily changed by adjusting the outlane posts when you set the game up.

I have never seen game play change so dramatically as with IM at different post settings. At the widest opening it is brutal and will cause the kids to cry. The narrowest setting puts game a little easier than par. There are two additional hole settings between these. You'll find the one that's right for you. But as you get better over time, you have easy way to make game harder and have it grow with your skills.

Get that IM in the house.

#21 5 years ago

My 7 year old loves it. Monger MB is not hard for him to get. He's not going to beat Jericho, but it's still a fun game for him, his favorite he says.

Like others have said, it's brutal for everyone. That said, it teaches you the importance of ball control and forces you to make shots. If kids can get good at IM, they can play any game.

#22 5 years ago

I took an Iron Man to a one-day family festival at my church last year and set it on free play, and for five hours there was a steady stream of kids there to play I--so much so that no adults got a chance. I'd estimate that 30 different kids played it, aged 6-14. They were familiar with the characters, loved the Iron Monger shot and the kickback from the War Machine, and the fact that there were different ways to achieve multiball. I think it's a great title for kids, and more affordable than other Sterns. I'll also note that from a tech support standpoint I think Iron Man is easier to maintain than other Stern titles, with the ball never going below the playfield.

#23 5 years ago

My kids aren't into IM at all, the ball is lost too quickly for it to be interesting to them.

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Honestly, the few times I've played it, I've gotten pretty good ball times. Sure, it can be difficult to advance through the game, but I wouldn't consider it to be a drain monster. Like with MM or AFM, you just have to be careful how you hit the center toy/target; the iron monger when it comes up.

You're either an amazing player or the table you played was slow with closed posts.

If you get IM up between 6.5 and 7...and wax-up up the playfield....the ball is out-of-control fast.

#25 5 years ago

I wouldn't call IM "brutal" or a "drain monster". It's just really fast and unpredictable. Making shots accurately makes it less unpredictable.

#26 5 years ago

For me pinball is a shared hobby with family and friends. I enjoy watching people have a good time playing my machines. With that some titles are good and some aren't. Average person doesn't care about IPDB ratings or whatever. They want a fun game. My daughter LOVEs my LW3. plays the crap out of it. Older son and friends gravitate toward T2. my fave is DM. Wife plays TFTC and Twister. All of my non-pinhead friends just absolutely despise my STTNG. Kids all want to get rid of it and get something else because all it does is roll down the drains. Not fun for kids. If you have to ask its prob too tough and will not hold their attention. Not everyone wants to shake and nudge every time the ball comes down to the lower half of the PF. Its awful when people keep asking if there is something wrong with the game or if they are that bad of a player and just having to explain that some games play better than others. Then you get the "why is this such a popular game when it just goes down the outlanes" question and there really isny a good answer...

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

You're either an amazing player or the table you played was slow with closed posts.
If you get IM up between 6.5 and 7...and wax-up up the playfield....the ball is out-of-control fast.

I'm far from an amazing player. I've played four different tables from three different owners, and had more or less the same experience on all of them.

Quoted from swampfire:

I wouldn't call IM "brutal" or a "drain monster". It's just really fast and unpredictable. Making shots accurately makes it less unpredictable.

I'd have to agree with that. I try not to flip wildly, so maybe that's it.

#28 5 years ago

I have an 8yr old and a 12yr old. They both love IM.

#29 5 years ago

IM gets a thumbs-up from the 8-16 set in our house. Under 10, they're playing all 4 players so they don't care that they lose the ball in 10 seconds, lol. Over 12, they love the theme, explosions, audio, and magnets. We think long ball time is what matters to kids, but they're used to "respawning" over and over to play through a game.

#30 5 years ago

In some states it is listed as child abuse...

#31 5 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

... theme, explosions, audio,

I just got an IMVE and hooked up the sub yesterday and holy hell! I got fast scoring stacked with WM multiball and WL multiball. I had the sound and sub cranked and kept the multiball stack alive for a good 2 minutes strong. Amazing sounds and effects blaring hardcore!!

When all was said & done and i was standing in silence, i looked at my wife in the other room and she said, "Really? we're trying to watch t.v." my response, "that....was......AWESOME!" we all laughed.

#32 5 years ago

My 5 and 8 year old boys love IM. At least once a week we play a challenge match on it, their two scores against my one. And yes they do beat me every now and then.

#33 5 years ago

IM's not drainy at all if you put the outlane posts at the tightest setting. You can also make it really easy for Iron Monger to pop up. It can be as kid friendly as you want, IMO.

#34 5 years ago

8 year old and 16 year old. And Iron man is their favourite.

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

IM's not drainy at all if you put the outlane posts at the tightest setting. You can also make it really easy for Iron Monger to pop up. It can be as kid friendly as you want, IMO.

Agreed. Just change the settings and outlane post positions.

Kids love the Iron Man character. They will enjoy this game.

#36 5 years ago

These testimonials are good to read. We are hoping to locate one or more pins at Duke Children's Hospital, and Iron Man is on the list of likely candidates.

#37 5 years ago

Close the outlanes like RobT and it's perfect for all but the youngest ballers.

#38 5 years ago

Tonight's game: Everything lit but IM, started 2nd IM mode (double scoring), but that target hit bounced right into the outlane. Gah!! Yeah, it can be brutal sometimes.

#39 5 years ago

Yes, if you have it at home and kids are playing it all the time, they'll probably be pretty good at it. If their friends whose only exposure to this game is limited to your home, they will probably have really short ball times and may be frustrated.

Theme is great but kids may give up really quick.

#40 5 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

I often have the neighborhood kids hanging out in my basement with my kids..... the shorter the ball time the better.... Kids have built in ADHD.... It is going to shake out something like this-
They will play Ironman for about 10 minutes, have a lot of fun, leave the game running with 4 players setup, leave the ball in the shooter lane, and play Xbox for the rest of the day....
Seriously though, for most kids not exposed to pinball, shorter ball times and easy objectives are the most popular games in my collection.

That has been my experience too. The kids love IM and Tron the best - seemingly simple objectives and something they can bash. LOTR also gets some love. Congo, Shadow, STTNG, TZ, RS, WPT and JM don't get much love from the kids.

#41 5 years ago

My kids loved IM when I owned it and they constantly tell me they would like another one in the house one day.
It is a very fast and brutal game yes but my two boys (aged eleven and eight) just love the theme of the game, the music, the callouts etc, they could play it for hours without advancing very far through the game at all and still be stoked. There is only one rule for them, it's got to be FUN!

#42 5 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Sounds like the kids will love it. The difficulty of this game is easily changed by adjusting the outlane posts when you set the game up.
I have never seen game play change so dramatically as with IM at different post settings. At the widest opening it is brutal and will cause the kids to cry. The narrowest setting puts game a little easier than par. There are two additional hole settings between these. You'll find the one that's right for you. But as you get better over time, you have easy way to make game harder and have it grow with your skills.
Get that IM in the house.

That's a good point, there is quite a bit of adjustablility on the outlanes on IM, more so than with most other pins.

#43 5 years ago

My grandson age 5 plays IM and really likes it (probably his favorite). That being said he plays for several minutes and is done. I think the game has many more pluses than minus for kids, including me. Also being a super hero doesn't hurt.

#44 5 years ago

It is also the only pin that my wife plays and she is shall we say not a pinball fan. (Well she also kind of likes TRON). I ask her why she likes it (other than the fact she likes Robert Downey Jr) and she says because it is easy to understand and she likes the layout and quotes.

I think it is a great family game and you can adjust the out-lanes and difficulty settings to make it a little easier.

#45 5 years ago

Great game. Not too brutal if you would like your kids to be good at pinball IMO. Plus there gonna love it anyways...

#46 5 years ago

It's a kid favorite. First game kids will turn on at my house and the last one they turn off. (Not that kids really play my pins a ton to be totally honest).

It is a brutal game but the rules are straightforward and the sounds/music are amazing. It's also the best use of a shaker motor ever. Kids also love the theme. Hard to go wrong with IM and easy to move if you end up not caring for it. It would probably be the last game to leave my collection.

#47 5 years ago

Same at my place... IM is a favorite among everyone because it's flashy and fun... easy to start Monger, and that in itself is enough to thrill even the most novice pinball player.

#48 5 years ago

I'm just so proud and happy at all the Iron Man love.

#49 5 years ago

I was at a pub on the weekend and all excited to play Iron Man. Put $5 in for 3 credits and started my game. I was on fire. The previous time I played the machine, drain after drain, but this game it all seemed to all come together. Three boys around 12 years old walked up to the machine from the table they'd been having lunch with their parents. Their eyes all lit up. They were jumping at the side of the cabinet and pointing at the DMD and then i hear "whoah! This guy just beat the second highest score!!!" I finished with a measly 20 million, but the kids were impressed and I got a reply. I said "I have to go and eat my lunch now, you guys can have my three spare credits and have a competition against each other." Their smiles were even bigger. I find myself turning into a kid again when I find a sited machine that I want to own myself one day, but at that point, it made me feel better seeing those kids get enjoyment out of pinball than me standing there mindlessly playing a game on my own.

#50 5 years ago

Don't over analyze it. If your kids like Iron Man they will love the pin.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 495.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
MI Pinball Refinery
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside