Topic Stats

• 389 posts
  • 133 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 days ago by Shadrac
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 35 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pasted_image (resized).png
0d9300073f9459d8bae8c17bf39622f47e1eb62d (resized).jpg
IMG_7254 (resized).JPG
IMG_7256 (resized).JPG
stern-pinball-ces-2015-005-843x562 (resized).jpg
D93073D0-CCE6-4B66-9EB2-940C108C7ECE (resized).png
8B0A10BC-F932-4131-84B8-C0FF1D2DD3F0 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3397 (resized).jpg
IMG_3396 (resized).jpg
IMG_3395 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpeg
mdj (resized).jpg
MDJ (resized).jpg
download (1) (resized).jpg
burgerinvasion_frontview2001ah (resized).jpg

There are 389 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 8.
#151 63 days ago

I sold my IM vault and actually regret that one. I kind of got excited when I saw this was happening....then I realized Stern's play fields are shit now and they don't stand behind their product. Dammit Stern. I'd be handing you money right now if you could just manage to get it together.

#152 63 days ago

Seems like sooner or later Stern will correct the play fields...when is the real question. Apparently, it isn't yet.

#153 63 days ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Seems like sooner or later Stern will correct the play fields...when is the real question. Apparently, it isn't yet.

As long as sales are good they will never give us a good quality playfield. They will only change if there backs are against a wall.

#154 63 days ago

I am a software engineer / developer by trade, and have converted (ported) code from different CPUs (platforms), operating systems, and APIs. Porting the code from Whitestar or SAM to Spike is very doable - and I highly doubt it is a significant blocker for them.

Stern and JJP (and other pinball manufactures) have skilled developers on staff that can easily do this. So the code isn't the problem with the vaults.

#155 63 days ago
Quoted from porkcarrot:

But, you are making that argument absent of the facts, because we don't know the facts. Maybe they had parts around for these machines already

Already made that argument (and likely the correct conclusion) on page 1 of this thread:

Line manager: These Stranger Things sales are not performing as expected. The line will be short before TMNT is announced.

Gary Stern: What do we have enough parts laying around to make as a vault to plug the hole?

Line manager: Well, WWE and Iron Man...

Gary Stern: WWE? Are you kidding me? Stop bringing that up. Even I can't sell that crappy box of lights. We'll do another Iron Man vault. Get it done!

#156 63 days ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

They need to vault WWE LE.

good one!

#157 63 days ago

Some of the decisions on what gets vaulted could be based on what they have active licenses to produce. The Simpsons is now owned by Disney.... perhaps Disney isn’t onboard with a Tron Vault.... and so on. Perhaps their licensing deal for Iron Man have them a window for vaults.

#158 63 days ago
Quoted from NC_Pin:

Some of the decisions on what gets vaulted could be based on what they have active licenses to produce. The Simpsons is now owned by Disney.... perhaps Disney isn’t onboard with a Tron Vault.... and so on. Perhaps their licensing deal for Iron Man have them a window for vaults.

But Iron Man (2010) is also owned by Disney, and is older than Tron (2011) so...?

#159 63 days ago

Could be how the original contract was written. Perhaps the original contract was for 10 years... maybe Disney didn’t want to do that for Tron. I have done licensing deals with Disney - everyone is different.

Also Iron Man is Marvel it could be a whole different group within Disney Consumer Products.

#160 63 days ago

As far as LOTR - that would likely be a license with both the studio and the Tolkien estate. I wouldn’t be shocked if JJp has/had a window of exclusivity negotiated with their Hobbit deal.

It’s all guess work, but i’d be surprised if licensing wasn’t one of the bigger issues on what gets vaulted.

#161 63 days ago

Wow, $5700 for a DMD game.

I remember selling my Iron Man VE for $5000 with a ColorDMD and full upgraded speaker system, 2 Boss amplifiers, and an external Polk sub.

#162 63 days ago
Quoted from Gexchange:

Gotta be license right? I gave up and bought a used tron pro for my house. Its like washing your car.. it should make it rain Trons. =( It didnt. Sorry guys I tried

You should have reached out to JJ, he is over there in Colorado and could have hooked you up.

#163 63 days ago
Quoted from vireland:

Haha, harsh. I could see it earning good in a location with a lot of tournament players or very experienced pinheads. It's a very abusive game, but when you light it up (which a casual will never do) a rush. But that's like, what, .05% of locations?

Just have to learn how to set up a game for proper ball times. Don't just open the box and turn it on. Set up is an art to maximize profit. Hint: there's average ball time in the audits

#164 63 days ago
Quoted from fattdirk:

Just have to learn how to set up a game for proper ball times. Don't just open the box and turn it on. Set up is an art to maximize profit. Hint: there's average ball time in the audits

So there's a hidden up-post on Iron Man to save center drains? Most of the casuals lost it down the middle from the kickback or center toy. Please, educate me how to activate that.

Almost all the games we put out destroyed the money Iron Man made weekly after the first month. The only one I can think of offhand that did worse was Munster Pro.

Setup wasn't the issue for the players we have.

#165 63 days ago
Quoted from vireland:

So there's a hidden up-post on Iron Man to save center drains? Most of the casuals lost it down the middle from the kickback or center toy. Please, educate me how to activate that.
Almost all the games we put out destroyed the money Iron Man made weekly after the first month. The only one I can think of offhand that did worse was Munster Pro.
Setup wasn't the issue for the players we have.

Level the game noob.

#166 63 days ago
Quoted from fattdirk:

Level the game noob.

j-law-o-yeah-thumbs-up.gif
#167 63 days ago

Maybe... just maybe... instead of fin the customers with craptastic quality, under coded games, and pooling clear coat... they should make another Iorn Man vault.
Stern has some screws lose in the belfry. Dat's fo sho.

Maybe just maybe they should "go back to basics" and offer a vault with Screen printed graphics and old school clear coat on high quality dense plywood. Then maybe; just maybe, their customer base will actually buy a title instead of waiting from second hand markets with "tested" clearcoat and non-chipped graphics.

But obviously; i'm a clueless uneducated minority to stern's high quality distributors.

#168 63 days ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Maybe... just maybe... instead of fin the customers with craptastic quality, under coded games, and pooling clear coat... they should make another Iorn Man vault.
Stern has some screws lose in the belfry. Dat's fo sho.
Maybe just maybe they should "go back to basics" and offer a vault with Screen printed graphics and old school clear coat on high quality dense plywood. Then maybe; just maybe, their customer base will actually buy a title instead of waiting from second hand markets with "tested" clearcoat and non-chipped graphics.
But obviously; i'm a clueless uneducated minority to stern's high quality distributors.

BUY, BUY, BUY!

#169 63 days ago

would tempted if the price is right and I am still lucky to have an original NOS IM playfield from 2010

now the interesting thing will be what the 2nd version VE will be: new or old boardsets, added a lcd, new artwork, updated code to justify the current price of a Pro $6099 USD MSRP.

previous releases were:
June / 2014 / Iron Man VE / Pro / $5495
April / 2010 / Iron Man / Pro / $4799

#170 63 days ago
Quoted from swinks:

would tempted if the price is right and I am still lucky to have an original NOS IM playfield from 2010
now the interesting thing will be what the 2nd version VE will be: new or old boardsets, added a lcd, new artwork, updated code to justify the new price of $6099 USD MSRP.
previous releases were:
June / 2014 / Iron Man VE / Pro / $5495
April / 2010 / Iron Man / Pro / $4799

From the info released Swinks this VE will be the same as the last, so SAM boardset, dmd, same artwork/foil cab decals. But there is a rumour Lyman has been working on the code for a while.

#171 63 days ago

IM great game for the time
in 2020 ??????????????
I would be shocked if Lyman has time for code on leftovers.........
IM (resized).jpg

#172 63 days ago
Quoted from RA77:

IM great game for the time
in 2020 ??????????????
I would be shocked if Lyman has time for code on leftovers.........
[quoted image]

He's already talked about it in the past, it's just not known how extensive the update will be when/if it's released.

#173 63 days ago
Quoted from vireland:

He's already talked about it in the past, it's just not known how extensive the update will be when/if it's released.

Is code a major complaint with IM? Not that I’ve ever heard. I doubt it’s an extensive update. It’ll just be polish.

#174 63 days ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Is code a major complaint with IM? Not that I’ve ever heard. I doubt it’s an extensive update. It’ll just be polish.

No, no, I meant how extensive things like combos and high score tracking boards would be. The actual code changes to the gameplay itself are probably pretty minor.

#175 63 days ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Iron Man is an awesome game. Coded by Lonnie and Lyman together. Game is brutal and extremely challenging.

#176 63 days ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Iron Man: Yellow Brick Road edition!!

Cant happen with stern, since all mechs are taken out to begin with.

LOTR with led and movie assets.
Simpsson same there, make a better rick and morty with yellow people.

#177 63 days ago
Quoted from NC_Pin:

Could be how the original contract was written. Perhaps the original contract was for 10 years... maybe Disney didn’t want to do that for Tron. I have done licensing deals with Disney - everyone is different.
Also Iron Man is Marvel it could be a whole different group within Disney Consumer Products.

Would love a jjp lotr

#178 63 days ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

Would love a jjp lotr

I had one. Looked beautiful, sounded great, amazingly deep... it just wasnt fun for me. I give you the Hobbit.

#179 62 days ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Too bad the Pinball Network isn't up and running yet....

BUYBUYBUY!

#181 62 days ago
Quoted from NPO:

Wow, $5700 for a DMD game.
I remember selling my Iron Man VE for $5000 with a ColorDMD and full upgraded speaker system, 2 Boss amplifiers, and an external Polk sub.
[quoted image]

msrp...

#182 62 days ago

No MSRP has been posted to my knowledge.

#183 62 days ago

LOL,

This thread should be titled "Stern did not do what I wanted them to do and am I mad".
Stern is a business first and foremost. They are not the evil empire looking to steal peoples hard earned money. They are a design and manufacturing company. That means they need to keep the assembly line rolling to keep up the monthly revenue to cover costs like insurance, debt, electricity,salaries,taxes,sewer,water,etc. All the stuff that needs to be covered that is not associated with BOM on machines. Remember, it was not that long ago they moved into the new factory, designed to increase their output/revenue. In the last 18 months, how many new titles have they put out ( JP, DP,Munsters, ST, etc)? In the case of the SW Comic VE , I just bought one. My money was looking for a SW Prem/LE prior to the SW Comic announcement. So instead of my money going to the secondary market it went towards a comic. Very smart on Stern's part and a really beautiful game. GOT Prem VE was announced along with GOT new code that no one anticipated. Helped the sale of those machines I am sure.
It is more likely , due to holes that show up in the assembly process due to the timing of new title development /assembly, they have a business strategy to insert certain VE's in the assembly line. Most likely the selection of the VE is determined by the difficulty of production along with the length of the expected gap in the new title assembly process. The whole idea here being they do not want the assembly process sitting idle between new titles. As any good company they have probably played out this plan over a five year period so as to show to their board/investors/bankers.
The newer Stern games are really cool. Elvira, DP, GOTG,JP, Munsters are beautiful games that have a lot going for them. I for one want Stern to keep going and produce new titles so the VE strategy to keep up revenue works for me. Who knows they may introduce some new code for IM to help sales that helps us all.

#184 62 days ago
Quoted from sulli10:

LOL,
This thread should be titled "Stern did not do what I wanted them to do and am I mad".
Stern is a business first and foremost. They are not the evil empire looking to steal peoples hard earned money. They are a design and manufacturing company. That means they need to keep the assembly line rolling to keep up the monthly revenue to cover costs like insurance, debt, electricity,salaries,taxes,sewer,water,etc. All the stuff that needs to be covered that is not associated with BOM on machines. Remember, it was not that long ago they moved into the new factory, designed to increase their output/revenue. In the last 18 months, how many new titles have they put out ( JP, DP,Munsters, ST, etc)? In the case of the SW Comic VE , I just bought one. My money was looking for a SW Prem/LE prior to the SW Comic announcement. So instead of my money going to the secondary market it went towards a comic. Very smart on Stern's part and a really beautiful game. GOT Prem VE was announced along with GOT new code that no one anticipated. Helped the sale of those machines I am sure.
It is more likely , due to holes that show up in the assembly process due to the timing of new title development /assembly, they have a business strategy to insert certain VE's in the assembly line. Most likely the selection of the VE is determined by the difficulty of production along with the length of the expected gap in the new title assembly process. The whole idea here being they do not want the assembly process sitting idle between new titles. As any good company they have probably played out this plan over a five year period so as to show to their board/investors/bankers.
The newer Stern games are really cool. Elvira, DP, GOTG,JP, Munsters are beautiful games that have a lot going for them. I for one want Stern to keep going and produce new titles so the VE strategy to keep up revenue works for me. Who knows they may introduce some new code for IM to help sales that helps us all.

You didn't say one thing about, Playfield QC.... That's what most want. Then we can get back to Buy Buy Buy.

#185 62 days ago
Quoted from kermit24:

No MSRP has been posted to my knowledge.

True
I was quoted for the 2020 VE between $5999 (ridiculous) and $5500 delivered.

#186 62 days ago
Quoted from vireland:

That's for sure. Huge "no" from me if they use that Bakshi abomination for the art.
There's a great comparison of the two versions on youtube:

She bakshi stuff is somewhere between hanna barbera and Zeldi CDi. Just doesn't stand up.

I remember falling asleep in the theater watching Lotr in 1978.

But on the way to the movie I heard this song for the first time. I can never forget the song. 1978 memories can be Priceless...

#187 62 days ago

talking about PF (actual probs), may be they still have some old (good) ones in stock !?
we'll get the answer soon...

#188 62 days ago
Quoted from Spiderpin:

You didn't say one thing about, Playfield QC.... That's what most want. Then we can get back to Buy Buy Buy.

True I did not.

In a manufacturing business, sales and QC issue resolution must happen in parallel. The sales comment keeps dealing with covering overheads and variable costs. The worst thing that a company has to do is totally stop the incoming revenue to address a problem ( QC , safety or otherwise). No revenue means cash positions are dwindling and if extended, bankruptcy can occur. Then who solves the QC issues?

Dealing with the QC issues has to happen in parallel. I would most likely believe Stern outsources the playfields and is working with their suppliers to address all problems that are impacting their business model. Not all their play fields have QC issues. I have 4 relatively new Stern pins and besides the occasional dimpling ( which I have seen on my very low play B/W games), I can be thankful nothing has been a problem yet.
I am not saying those with QC issues should not raise them to Stern's attention and expect Stern to resolve in a fair and timely manner. That is also a good business technique.

My comments were aimed at the people being upset that Stern is re doing Iron Man. I have an IM so I understand the potential re sale aspect from my stand point. My comment is , with the investment I have in Stern as far as their products, I really want them to stay a profitable / longterm company. Dealing with any QC problems needs to occur simultaneously with a healthy business strategy.

#189 62 days ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

I remember falling asleep in the theater watching Lotr in 1978.
But on the way to the movie I heard this song for the first time. I can never forget the song. 1978 memories can be Priceless...

Yep, memories tie to music a lot. Whenever I hear Rainbow in the Dark, I have the image of the vista as you come over the ridge and first see the Tahoe basin in winter. Done it hundreds of times since the first, but that's what I remember because of what was playing the first time.

#190 62 days ago

Its all rainbows. Stern hasn't done anything except ignore those qc issues.

#191 62 days ago

It could be that their renewed license for the IMVE run a few years back is about to expire. So, they probably plan to burn through excess parts and beat the wire. If it's only a few hundred games, that's probably less than a week on their assembly line. I doubt a rerelease of IMVE is some nefarious assembly line saver due to poor sales of other games. If current game sales are lagging and Stern needed to go through the trouble to renew a license to release a vault and plug a substantial assembly line hole, why not pop out a game with more sales upside?

#192 62 days ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Its all rainbows. Stern hasn't done anything except ignore those qc issues.

? I have had two populated playfield replacements. To say that is simply not accurate. When is the last time you have contacted Stern support?

#193 62 days ago

I like the layout but would need new artwork to sell!

#194 62 days ago

I like variety. Very few games have I gotten rid of and then wanted back. IMVE is definitely in that category. Depending of price and features of the new VE, I might just pull the trigger.

#195 62 days ago

Most IM I have run across lately have been just beat to crap. Especially around the Iron Monger. It would seem at least to me that an opportunity to acquire a pristine example would be cool. Who cares about the why

#196 62 days ago
Quoted from Kenz:

I like the layout but would need new artwork to sell!

If they had done a comic art version like Star Wars, close to zero people would be questioning the re-vault. It could be very cool.

#197 62 days ago

I will try to keep my Iron Man as long as I could. In result the value of the game is not very important to me. Actually, I am very excited if the remake is still based on the Sam system so I can receive a code update for my IM original. I just wish the code will receive a little polish, plus added a few new call outs / musics from movies. I can’t wait for any official release from Stern.

#198 62 days ago

Hey whiner central, let the few hundred that want To buy this game rejoice!

That’s all it is

Or pick up a yellow brick road if you do t like this one. Lol

#199 62 days ago
Quoted from John_I:

Depending of price and features of the new VE, I might just pull the trigger.

MSRP $5900. Everything exactly same as previous VE. Not sure if it has the foil cabinets though.

#200 62 days ago
Quoted from kermit24:

? I have had two populated playfield replacements. To say that is simply not accurate. When is the last time you have contacted Stern support?

Read the Playfield thread. You are an outlier... most have only gotten a thumb in the eye. And if they are really lucky; unpopulated playfield.
The last time I contacted Stern support? proally 2017. I don't buy their new titles because of all the quality problems they've had since Star Trek was produced. If it's not cabinets, it's node boards. If it's not node boards, it's crazin' inserts. If it's not crazin' inserts, it's soft clear. If it's not soft clear - It's over priced crap. Simply put; Stern is perfectly ok shipping the customer garbage and "hoping" they don't detect a problem.

But I digress, bring on an inferior Iron Man Vault run 2 with all the quality "improvements" at a more expensive price point.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 495.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
MI Pinball Refinery
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 26.95
There are 389 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 8.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside