(Topic ID: 88610)

Iron Man Club: Adrenaline Junkies Welcome!

By RobT

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0761 (resized).jpeg
IMB_fW5sie.gif
IMB_LZkXy7.gif
IMG_4293 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1268 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot 2024-01-30 040548 (resized).png
20240120_165323 (resized).jpg
IMG_4128.jpeg
IMG_4157.jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
thumbnail33 (resized).jpeg
Pinside_forum_7767911_0 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7767911_2 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7767911_1 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7767911_3 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rdreynolds.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#652 9 years ago

Looking forward to joining the club next week. Could not stop playing it at Expo. Reminds me of another favorite, Whirlwind, in the fact that it just kept beating me into oblivion. Awesome!

#658 9 years ago

Thoughts on the shaker...really need it? Yes, no, maybe?

#660 9 years ago

Yeah, my Avengers has one, but now that IMVE is coming in, it will be leaving. Debating taking it out before I sell the Avengers.

#689 9 years ago

Yay, I've joined the club! Just had a nearly new IMVE delivered. Unfortunately, just had my gall bladder removed so I can't move it up the stairs...in fact, can't lift anything heavier than a gallon of milk for the next couple of weeks!

So...pondering who to beg to come over and lug it up the stairs for me. LOL

#691 9 years ago

When that is my biggest issue, believe me, God has blessed me. I can wait.

#693 9 years ago

I actually bought IM because it is so brutal. I have not had a vicious pin in the collection since WW left, so I wanted another to take its place.

1 week later
#714 9 years ago

Just got mine set up, and it is very nice! But holy CRAP is this game tough! Never feel cheated, though - just a dang hard game. Bring it on, Obadiah!!!

#718 9 years ago

So what strategies does anyone have for playing?

#720 9 years ago

So stacking...you can stack War Machine with Monger, but not Whiplash with Monger, correct?

#738 9 years ago

Anyone else sometimes just go insane and play a game doing nothing but shooting at War Machine? I love that shot so much sometimes I can't help myself. Don't care about score, don't care about advancing, just want to fight that thing!

#741 9 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Sure if you think it is fun firing a gun against the wall and ducking out of the way of the ricochet, then of course shooting War Machine over and over is fun also. LOL!

I love that shot. I like to scream a lot, telling War Machine how I'm gonna kick his @$$!

#744 9 years ago

Anyone know why there are no combo awards in this game? If ever there was a game that called for it, it's this one.

#748 9 years ago

I was thinking more of having a combo champion award like some games do. But I can appreciate the viciousness of the game.

1 month later
#792 9 years ago

Idiotic question here that I have probably already asked...how do you get to Do or Die? Do you have to complete Jericho?

#794 9 years ago

So it requires completion of Jericho?

#801 9 years ago
Quoted from pinballcorpse:

No. Jericho and Do or Die are two separate, disjoint items.

So if you get all the modes on one ball its do or die, if it takes more than one its Jericho?

1 week later
#857 9 years ago
Quoted from FrederikFrost:

Never had it happen. ~1000 games so far. I have my back legs all the way up, and front legs all the way down.

I've not had that happen either, I set my game up the same way.

What I DO have happen, though, is the ball hits the rubber stop at the end and bounces backwards a bit instead of falling right into the lane...anyone else have that? Only on the left side, right side never does that. It's like the ball is going so fast it ricochets backwards off that stopper...

#863 9 years ago
Quoted from FrederikFrost:

Finished the game at around 140 millions, my biggest score in the month I have had the machine, but nothing amazing compared to the scores I hear you guys get. Amazing for me nonetheless.

Completely obliterates my GC score of like 60 million! I've yet to get to Do or Die.

#869 9 years ago

Got CLOSE to Do or Die last night, had a killer (for me!) stacked War Machine/Whiplash. New GC of 82 million.

THIS. GAME. IS. AWESOME.

#889 9 years ago

Finally lit up Do or Die!

And then immediately drained.

#893 9 years ago

The other week I hit DOD with a shot right up the middle, but the ball did not quite make it up and around to the right to register and you know where the ball goes if it comes back down from the center. SDTFN'M! Still my favorite pin of all time though.
The Colts gonna take this game this weekend or what?

I sure hope so, as think Denver is our absolute best possible matchup. It would be death to go to Foxborough, as the Pats are a horrible mismatch. Gonna have to be a lot of quick passes tho as our o line will get overrun. Hopefully Andrew is more good Andrew than what we were you thinking Andrew. If we don't turn the ball over I think we win.

#894 9 years ago
Quoted from steigerpijp:

Better get used to that...

I'd just be happy to get back there! Practice practice practice!

#897 9 years ago

Question...the both lights on the very bottom left on my machine (where the ball feeds into the left flipper) are having issues. Since it's both of them, I am sure it is a loose wire. However, I went underneath my play field to check, and there's a piece of black cardboard stapled over it? It's a VE, any idea what on earth they did there? I assume no harm, no foul in taking that cardboard off?

#898 9 years ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

Does anyone else find the callouts in this game awesome? Other than the occasional instructional callout, the rest are really fun. I particularly like the random movie callouts. Some of them are pretty funny.

I wish they weren't QUITE so random...although I do absolutely love it when I have a horrible drain and Obadiah says, "Well, that went well."

1 week later
#914 9 years ago

FINALLY got to Do or Die! And somehow did something to collect 100,000,000 points! Double scoring on Do or Die or I think maybe I beat Jericho? It kept telling me what to shoot ("Shoot Whiplash", "Shoot Bogey Ramp") and I wound up beating that. That's Jericho, right?

My heart is still pounding.

IMG_4188.JPGIMG_4188.JPG

#918 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Awesome!
Since you say you got DoD, and you also described Jericho, it means that DoD gave you 2x scoring for the rest of the ball. Completing Jericho gives 50 million x2 = 100 million! That is exactly how you get the big scores on IM!
Your last sentence sums up why I love this pin so damn much!
Edit: If this was your first time collecting the DoD jackpot, you picked a great time to do it since you completed Jericho right after that...which is a lot harder to do than collect DoD.

Ok that's what I thought it was, DoD into Jericho. Completing Jericho was NOT easy, but by God it was thrilling!

#919 9 years ago

Great job! How long did it take you like 9 minutes?
Now go relax and play WCS.

Lol that's a reason I love IM. Short, intense games.

4 weeks later
#956 9 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

Look, it's no 274 or 333 million but dammit I hit Do or Die for like only the third time ever. What a rush!!! Then I kicked over half of Jerichos ass before it got me. What a rush!!!

image-624.jpg 153 KB

Awesome score!

1 week later
#986 9 years ago

Off topic - any other games out there that give you the feeling you get while playing and after playing IM? You know that intense, exciting, yet exhausting feeling.
I am looking for my next pin and I kind of get that feeling with my ST Pro and want to add to it. I want more! Any tips would be great! Thanks

Whirlwind! I've always felt like IM plays like a souped up System 11, and this is for my money the best of that class.

#987 9 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I know that I'm still in the early "honeymoon phase" with IM (which is why I won't rate for a while) but Jesus H, I have never been sucked into a game like this before. Talk about pure adrenaline! The music, the speed....it's so damn intense. It kicks your ass but your not really pissed about it.....it's more like "that's it!" I'm going to kick you're ass IM!".........even though that hasn't happened yet

I've had mine for about 5 months and still feel like I'm in the honeymoon phase. Absolutely love this game.

1 month later
#1107 8 years ago
Quoted from BBC:

I would like to join the club. I am near Chicago!!

Everyone should join the club, this game is awesome.

3 weeks later
#1144 8 years ago

Had another crazy round of IM last night. Nearly had Do or Die lit, with only Monger and I think Whiplash to go. Was getting ready to start Monger multiball, and hit him too center and he fired it SDTM on me. I screamed like a banshee.

Then immediately played one more game. Then another. Then about 50 more in a row.

THIS GAME IS MADDENING!

I LOVE IT!

3 weeks later
#1199 8 years ago

So DoD MB you need to complete all the characters, right? I know how you get Monger, I can do that pretty consistently. How the heck do you get the rest of them?

#1208 8 years ago

I would LOVE a Color DMD for this game.

#1211 8 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

No....DoD is complete the characters.... on one ball. (I've done this twice in four months but only collected it once)
DoD Multiball is:
Complete 3 sets of Iron Man targets
Earn the SJP (super jackpot) on War Machine
Earn the SJP on Iron Monger
Earn the SJP on Whiplash
Complete 4 sets of Drones (light WM MB 4 times basically) Then win the lotto and get attacked by a brown bear and a polar bear in the same day.

How do you get the SJPs on WL and WM?

#1213 8 years ago

I didn't see it, anyone have a link?

2 weeks later
#1221 8 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

Beat Jericho again!! Feels like it's been months since I've beaten it. What a rush!!!

image.jpg

Is that a Color DMD in there? Looks way better than the blood red in mine.

1 month later
#1269 8 years ago

Stupid question: when you start Iron Monger and the magnet releases the ball, is it supposed to go SDTM? Mine always seems to do that...

#1275 8 years ago

I've never had a machine that gets me this angry when I lose a ball.

I LOVE YOU IRON MAN.

#1283 8 years ago

Ok so what modes has anyone actually completed? I can get War Monger fairly consistently, and completed Whiplash for the first time yesterday. Any tips on the rest?

#1284 8 years ago

Ok, completed War Machine and Whiplash on same ball today. Stacking those two seems to make it possible. Maybe Do or Die Multiball IS a possibility?

#1292 8 years ago

My high score was a doubled up do or die into Jericho as I recall. I beat Jericho as well on that ball.

Been playing heavy this weekend. Had War Machine and Whiplash completed (flashing) together, setting up to get Monger...but couldn't do it.

Almost beat Jericho tonight.

Almost had double do or die lit.

Almost did this, almost did that...but couldn't. Almost almost almost...is there any doubt why this is the ultimate "one more game" pin?

2 weeks later
#1330 8 years ago
Quoted from Taygeta:

IM working well with another longer playing pin.

Agree with this 100%! IM sits next to my IJ and I honestly can't think of two games that are so different but play so well together.

Have always said IM plays like a jacked up System 11, and it reminds me a lot of one of my fave pins ever in WW. Just a mean, vicious, cruel game that you KNOW you beat but you never quite can that always has you trying one more time.

1 week later
#1340 8 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

In the club!
As proof that this is the ultimate "one more game" game - I played for 45 minutes before bed...then came upstairs, did a few things on the computer, and then went back down and played for another hour. Total play count at the end of my first day of ownership? 90!
Was finally able to walk away after cracking 100m.

Can't tell you how many nights I've done exactly this. Welcome to the club!

#1343 8 years ago

So the shaker...worth it? Where do I get one?

#1346 8 years ago

Ok, thanks.

Funny story on this game...for months, I've had my name on all the high scores save for a mysterious (ha) G S at 75,000,000. I was having a killer game, over 70M on ball one with an extra ball at the ready. So I had three balls to knock G S off, and only 5M to get on those.

Yeah, the machine decided to show me, once again, WHO IS BOSS. I wound up at 74,874,100. I was so furious that I ranted and raved for about 30 seconds, walking around the game room steaming...and then immediately hit the start button on it.

I LOVE THIS GAME.

#1349 8 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

YES!
If you only did ONE thing to IM it should be add a shaker. I also agree that a sub would be #2.

Ooooooooh! Good call on the shaker.

1 week later
#1374 8 years ago
Quoted from RDReynolds:

Ok, thanks.
Funny story on this game...for months, I've had my name on all the high scores save for a mysterious (ha) G S at 75,000,000.

FINALLY knocked GS off the scoreboard! Yay me! Lol

#1377 8 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you want to chop up Iron Man with a hatchet.

...and then immediately hit start again.

#1396 8 years ago

Was thinking as I played last night it would be cool if when Monger comes up he would up slightly, stop, then come up a bit more, stop, then finish emerging to full position like he does in the movie/animation...

#1397 8 years ago

I should note that changing the War Machine or Drone or whatever to extra easy has made this a way, WAY more enjoyable game. And I didn't think that was possible. Just being able to stack that into Monger or Whiplash or Bogey...that adds more strategy to it.

What's funny is that I got to my 274K without that and have gotten nowhere near it since, but I am having so much more fun with that extra easy in place. It really feels like how the game should have been set up by default.

#1400 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

My go-to strategy is to try to stack Monger, War Machine and Bogey scoring, and then hit the SHIELD for extended time on Bogeys (and to add a ball for WM). I like that it takes a lot of Drones to accomplish that - it would be too easy otherwise. Adding double-scoring to that stack is a real challenge.
I need to practice going for specific objectives, like completing the other 2 multiballs (Monger is fairly easy).

I often go for Monger+WM, but sometimes I will instead start WM (and Bogey or Fast scoring/double scoring) and play that while hitting Whiplash. I save Whiplash until I'm down to two balls in play on WM, then chain that in. Not sure what is bigger points wise, guessing Monger, but I like to change it up a bit.

#1412 8 years ago

Did the exact same over the weekend. Such a nasty pin.

1 week later
#1417 8 years ago

Has anyone installed a Color DMD on their VE? Just wanted to know if it was possible...

#1421 8 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

Well... I thought IM was the kick ass pin in my collection... average game time 2.30s..
Nope.. just checked WW... 2.06s average game time.

Love both these machines. Find them very similar as both are just brutal.

#1423 8 years ago

Whirlwind I'd think.

#1425 8 years ago

If you have it set up right Whirlwind is a very VERY mean machine.

#1428 8 years ago

I got mine about a year ago from someone who decided they didn't like it after ~200 plays.

#1466 8 years ago

Those Universal shops always have very cool stuff. Been too long since I've been there (and it's been less than two years)! LOL

#1468 8 years ago

Looks like the Iron Man exhibit at Disneyland...

2 weeks later
#1533 8 years ago

I have that happen quite a bit on my IM. May be because I play it so much!

1 week later
#1577 8 years ago
Quoted from ATLpb:

correct. cointaker deluxe is by best for Iron Man... just have to spend a few mins with the remote figuring how to get the color/speed fade combo you want.

My VE came with this installed, I have zero idea how to work it. Any help here?

1 week later
#1595 8 years ago

I would advise getting the drones as first priority. What I like to do is get War Machine ready, then start Monger, then start War Machine. Alternatively, you can start War Machine and go to start Whiplash. Either way, you can stack two multi balls and rack up some serious points.

The big key to high scores on IM is Jericho and Do or Die. If you can start Do or Die and then go into Jericho, you get double scoring on Jericho. And that is worth a TON of points. I completed a doubled up Jericho once during my best game ever (274M).

You summed it up when you said it was one tough mother. It is a very mean mean mean game.

#1615 8 years ago

I'd def do...

- Shaker
- Color DMD
- This: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/im-monger-window-decal-interest-check

I also have a backbox / speaker LED kit, but I don't view those are necessities. The ones above I think are must haves.

#1634 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

There are a lot of games in my collection that I consider harder than IM: Fathom, Dirty Harry, Whirlwind, Skateball...probably half of them, in fact. I define "hard" in terms of ball times, not scores.

I have always thought Whirlwind and IM were brothers from different mothers. Both games have the ability to lure you into thinking you are going to get a Grand Champion score. You get that great ball 1, you think this is the game...and then...the game beats the crap out of you the next 2. GC score? You ain't even getting anywhere near top score 4, kid!

That's reason 537 why I love IM. And WW.

#1646 8 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

Was playing my 2 month old IMVE tonight when the start button stopped responding and wouldnt let me start a game. Shut the game off, restarted, button fired up a game right away. At the end of that game the button stopped working again. Shut down, restart, did switch test, switch worked on game start up, played a game, button stopped working did a switch test and no read on the switch. Shut off, turn on, button works on first game again but nothing after. Any suggestions??

My guess is the switch needs replaced. That happens and is an easy fix.

2 weeks later
#1725 8 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Play the game however you like....make it fun for you. But unless you 100% block those outlanes IM can never be set up for "pussies" (IMHO).

This x10000000000000. Too many ppl on here think you can only have machines setup to PAPA settings or something. Some of us just want to have fun playing. If that means 5-ball with extra balls galore, that's not my idea of fun, but for some it is. More power to them.

The goal IS fun, right?

#1746 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Slight change of topic: are any of you tempted to sell your IM to fund an SMVE, even just a little bit? I picked up my IM in 2012 when I was looking for a SM. I still love IM, but I have to say that I'm watching SMVE with interest.

I like SM, but for me IM > SM, VE or no.

2 months later
#2056 8 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Yeah, but DoD is ONE shot! Jericho takes like 50 shots.

That's what makes it rewarding when you get it...

IMG_4188_(resized).jpgIMG_4188_(resized).jpg

#2071 8 years ago
Quoted from ilovegames:

Hey RDReynolds,
Are those speaker grill inserts the one from Speaker Light Kits? If so are yours the blue or the chrome? If so, did you get the lights from them too? The look really good.

I bought my IMVE used, it came with that...so I am not sure what kit they are?

#2072 8 years ago

Recommend everyone to disable their top orbit post and give it a try. It gives you a soft plunge skill shot if you can hit the the lit upper right flashing shield and does not stop the balls from flying around to the left flipper when the balls get shot out during the start of all the multiballs. More fast and more fun. IMHO. Will seem like a whole new game.
If you dont like it, then set it back.

Stern should pull a page out of the Avengers rule set and have a no-touch skill shot.

#2074 8 years ago

Just checked, they are blue.

#2084 8 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I was playing last night and had three games where I had almost everything set up perfectly to go after DODhu with 2x playfield.......guess how many times I collected?

Same number that I usually do?

2 months later
#2202 7 years ago

Man, you guys have done some amazing things with your games...excellent work!

#2205 7 years ago

And where is your IM? In the shop I hope.

My IM is safely next to my IJ.

2 weeks later
#2210 7 years ago

Absolutely. You want a long game? IJ is there. Got two minutes to play? IM is ready! LOL

#2218 7 years ago

I have literally KICKED my IM more times than I'd ever care to admit for that very reason.

2 weeks later
#2297 7 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Happened to me last night. Just when you think you have the game mastered, it'll remind who the bitch is.

QFT!

The best is when you have a GREAT ball 1, think you have that grand champion score easily made...then it smacks you upside the head with the fastest drains you ever did see the rest of the game. Like it's saying, "Ha ha ha...you think you're good? Well, you're WRONG."

I LOVE THIS GAME!

#2299 7 years ago

Speaking of taunts, "Well...that went well" never fails to simultaneously infuriate and somehow make me laugh.

1 month later
#2415 7 years ago

I've said for years Pinside rankings are completely bogus.

This may have changed my mind! LOL

#2416 7 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Stargate lasted 3 months for me....I think that was a record.

We had a Stargate at the arcade I help run...never did it for me.

1 month later
#2545 7 years ago

That happens quite often on my game as well. Know I've had two trapped in there at least 2-3 times.

3 months later
#2654 7 years ago

This image tells you everything you ever need to know about Iron Man.

I mean, pretty good score, right? 109,020,390!

Well, actually it's a pretty dang horrible score.

Ball 1, I am on FIRE. I am hitting everything, started Bogey quickly, wound up lighting everything, getting to Mark 6. So we have Do or Die lit and I hit it pretty fast, like 25M or so for that I think. That starts double scoring and I immediately go into Jericho. I am doing pretty good on Jericho, think I got over halfway before a left drain. Look up, and my score is over 99,000,000. First ball remember, and I got an extra ball on it as well. Thinking this is going to be a really good game. Thinking pretty highly of myself.

And that's when Iron Man reminded me I wasn't nuthin'. And this game was IRON MAN.

It slapped the cockiness right out of me, punching me repeatedly in the face with drains and just being the cruelest game ever. The next three balls were gone so fast I almost felt like the game was laughing at me. I legit was shocked I was able to gain another 10,000,000 over the course of THREE BALLS they way it was treating me.

This is why I love this machine. It's always a fight.

A mean, nasty, vicious fight.

IMG_7376 (resized).JPGIMG_7376 (resized).JPG

#2659 7 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

What colourdmd do you have installed in your Ironman? The LCD or the LED? Your screenshot looks great.

LCD. I am going to get an LED for my SW I think sometime soon...

#2662 7 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Do you have both in your games? what are your first hand experiences/opinions of them both? I am unsure whether to go LED or LCD for my games, I like the idea of the LED being a more stock look & I have heard the LED is better for games with lots of black like TRON etc.

No LED yet. Just have LCDs in my IM and IJ. No one has ever said, "You know, those blacks look a little off..." or anything. They just gawk at how much better they look in color.

3 weeks later
#2667 7 years ago
Quoted from DK:

I just put my IM back on route, hoping that a better player can beat the high score so I have something to chase!

IM and WW side by side...that may be the best one-two punch I've ever seen!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Roseville, CA
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rdreynolds.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/iron-man-owners-club?tu=rdreynolds and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.