(Topic ID: 88610)

Iron Man Club: Adrenaline Junkies Welcome!

By RobT

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 5,016 posts
  • 435 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 16 days ago by evileye
  • Topic is favorited by 138 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240329_142221 (resized).jpg
20240329_144709 (resized).jpg
20240329_144719 (resized).jpg
IMG_0761 (resized).jpeg
IMB_fW5sie.gif
IMB_LZkXy7.gif
IMG_4293 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1268 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot 2024-01-30 040548 (resized).png
20240120_165323 (resized).jpg
IMG_4128.jpeg
IMG_4157.jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
thumbnail33 (resized).jpeg
Pinside_forum_7767911_0 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hippy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2877 6 years ago

I bought IM new in 2010, will never leave. I have seen some different sling plastics in this thread. That is the only thing left. Always looking, has anybody seen any for sale? Thanks.

2 weeks later
#2936 6 years ago

I am still trying to find someone who has alternate slingshot plastics for my Iron Man. Laseriffic is not iterested. Has anybody found anyone else that does? Thanks

3 months later
#3065 6 years ago

I bought one new in 2010, Iron Man has been a favorite comic for a long time. I also prefer the wooden speaker panel, easier to work with. The color dmd needs no adapters to install, either. I installed all leds & modified all 3 toys myself with leds, not hard. Absolutely no issues since purchase, home collection, though. Alternate translight, shooter, etc. are very nice. Of course, I like the 2010 better, very dependable.

7 months later
#3298 5 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

WTB: Iron Man topper
I noticed an ad on here a few months back for this make Iron Man topper. It sold -picture not the one from the ad - just using as the example of the one I’m interested in. I recently bought an Iron Man and have thought about buying one of these but I'm kind of on the fence.
I know its sometimes difficult to recoup much on toppers when selling a game with them included so if someone is contemplating selling their IM and has this topper they may want to sell separately, send me a message.

I bought that for mine. It is made and sold by tilt toppers. It looks great. They still sell and make them to order.

1 month later
#3347 5 years ago
Quoted from Bertie:

Did Stern make ramp changes during Iron Man’s original run?
I have an early (original run) Iron Man, I have just replaced the left ramp
I find that the hex spacer that is under the hump of the ramp is not letting the ramp sit on the spacers near the flashlamps
Should I install a shorter spacer or flex the ramp to fit?

I bought mine, nib, 8-10, last run. All 3 hex in that area are the same size.

1 week later
#3353 5 years ago
Quoted from Portkey:

Iron Man 2010 Manual: does anyone have an electronic version of the full 2010 manual? The one on Stern website is only about 30 pages and is missing a bunch of information such as wiring and switch schematics, information about CPU, etc. I'm buying an Iron Man as my first non-EM pin and want to be able to arm myself with information about the pin so that I can open it up and consider doing some mods.
If you have a full manual, please PM or post electronically.
Thanks!

I have IM got nib, 2010,don't understand the electronically.
Ebay has one used for $16, currently.

#3354 5 years ago

You can also go to IPDB and download one there.

Quoted from HIPPY:

I have IM got nib, 2010,don't understand the electronically.
Ebay has one used for $16, currently.

4 weeks later
#3362 5 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Hey guys,
Wondering if anyone has had this. My friends IM the skill shot is impossible. If you full plunge it loops but if you go light to try for the rollovers it veers wildly to the left off the “jump” and hits a little post with a donut rubber and dribbles down to the right flipper. We have it pretty well level, I think. I will test more, but it felt like a mechanical problem.

There is a post in the upper loop, I will bet it is disabled , or, needs help. Check your feature settings.

#3369 5 years ago
Quoted from Reaper802:

Is this lone metal tab in everyone's shooter lane or just mine? Other than nicking up balls what could its purpose be?
[quoted image]

I have an original,I got NIB in 2010, mine has the same tab in shooter lane. Looks like some kinda brace for the guide. Never had an issue with it.

2 weeks later
#3373 5 years ago
Quoted from Reaper802:

Will any more Arc Reactor bumper caps ever be made?
Still trying to figure out if every IM can't post pass from left to right or if there is something wrong with my setup.
Sector 16 Iron Monger decal installed yesterday followed by at least an hour of dialing in the lid to try and get it perfect with the playfield. It's as close as I can get it now without starting to bend stuff. Played several games after and had zero air balls so I think I'll call it good enough.

Pinball Life has a cheaper version. I got the blue, nice.

5 months later
#3474 5 years ago
Quoted from Kawydud:

Anyone have a copy of the manual that has the light and switch matrix in it? Even the one Stern sent me a link to doesn't have them.

Try internet pinball database. They usually got the manuals.

3 months later
#3525 4 years ago
Quoted from teddyb73:

I'm looking for ones that came with my old IM that I had. Anyone have these?[quoted image]

I have those, got them at Pinball Rebel.

1 month later
#3540 4 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

Hi,
Long time pinballer, new IM owner.
I purchased a tastefully modded HUO IM last fall and had it delivered to my son's house out east. I visited him this past weekend and was able to see my game in person for the first time and have a few questions.
1. It came with yellow rubber rings which, from what I surmise, are probably Titan rings. One of the slingshot rings is almost split at the post right above the flipper and the other sling ring is wearing. Can someone tell me the ring diameter for the slingshots and I'll order some replacements.
2. It has the nice aftermarket pop caps. Not sure if they are from Hooked on Pinball or from Pinball Decals. Either way, the LED insert base is so tall it jams the lamp socket/wires into the top center of the pop bumper skirt causing the pop skirt to skew. This makes some hits strong and some weak depending on the direction the ball approaches the pop bumper. Has anyone else had this problem and then resolved it and, if so, how did you resolve it. UPDATE - Robert at HoP got back to me already and the solution is one of their slim LED pop inserts that sits 4 or 5mm shorter.
3. The skill shot post does not raise on my game. It works fine in test mode. I went through the settings and could not find anything where this could be turned on or off. Before I reload the code I figured I would ask if there is a setting I'm missing.
Other than these issues the game is great. It had been on my want list for some time and is the only Stern pinball I have ever purchased or have been compelled to purchase. And I'm no stranger to DMD games. I'm glad to have finally gotten one.

Just checked my manual. Slingshots have different sizes. One is 2" & one is 2 1/2". I got mine nib in 2010, it is always fun, won't ever leave.

6 months later
#3590 4 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

IM is very different. I used to have mine next to my WOZ, and they play off each other very well. They are so different that you can play the one you’re in the mood for.

I have both. They do compliment each other. IM- fast,furious. WOZ,Ruby Red- leisurely pinball. Depends on your mood, like them both. IM also never breaks like WOZ does, although she has more toys.

#3627 4 years ago

I bought mine,nib, 2010, the first movie was still out. Believe it or not, the game wasn’t popular then. A lot of games have come and gone in my house since then, IM is a keeper. Original is better, IMO. I also hope a new release will make parts easier to get.

#3631 4 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Guilty!
"It's a one ball game" - DaveH
"Meh" - DaveH

The only reason I disagree is that I like the metal head. Plus, if they hadn't done the VE, I wouldn't have been able to own one. That quickly dropped the price, and I ended up getting one for a bargain. The one mod the VE required was an LED OCD board. Without it the lights are too harsh, and you lose that flowing light show of the original.
Oh, and ignore my bad comments about the game from many years ago. IM is a keeper. It provides pinball satisfaction.

The original had incondescents, you convert it your way. It also did not have lighted figures like the VE, you had to create them yourself. Mine has also never broke. Quite a statement.Color dmd is a must. Mine is next to a TFLE, came out same year. It really needs a code update, too. Those 2 games complement each other.

3 weeks later
#3650 4 years ago
Quoted from NickBuffaloPinball:

I've had my IM for nearly 10 years. It's HUO and I've taken super good care of it.
Sadly, I just noticed some significant chipping under Whiplash. I can't believe I haven't noticed this before, but I'm sure it's been there for quite sometime. I also noticed chipping in that same area on our route game.
Anyone else have this issue?[quoted image]

Got nib in 2010, never noticed until you brought it up. Mine is chipping on your lower bolt pictured,also. Other than that, never breaks like the rest of mine.

#3654 4 years ago
Quoted from NickBuffaloPinball:

You'll have to forgive me for bringing it to your attention. Thankfully, it's well hidden, which is why I never noticed. It looks like on the VE they started putting washers there.
A friend said he would help me put black mylar/vinyl there as well as some washers to cover the damage.

Sounds like it will work. I still like the original over the VE. I put in plastics protectors right after I got it. That same area, Whiplash plastic, broke, even with a protectors. Next to the magnet, the long narrow piece. I saw it go, super glued it back. Hoping with the vault out, more parts are available. Ever notice the originals rarely are sold? Lots of VE.

#3656 4 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

Originals are cool and there are quite a few around if you dig... the ve version are more popular also for a reason. Better backbox and display design, display decal, metallic cab art which is stunning. Each to their own but I struggle to see how anyone could like the old screen print cab over those metallic hi rez decals.

Some of it is it came incondescent lighting, you made it your way. Also, the 3 figures were not lit , you had to do your own. Stern got the idea, and put them in VE. Homemade custom is always better, IMO. Color dmd is a must. I have been reading IM since the first comic in the early 60’s, so, you could call me a fan. Mine has been taken great care of since 2010. The cabinet is like new, added lollipop rails,& is still beautiful. A tilt topper makes it really nice.

1 month later
#3801 4 years ago
Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

For the attention of LED OCD users who're updating... Don't forget to change your lighting settings!
i.e.
Feature adjustments #47, Game Lamp Type = INCANDESCENT (not LED).
So I've changed:
Standard adjustments #44, Knocker Volume = LOW (I hate the stupidly loud Stern knocker noise).
Feature adjustments #47, Game Lamp Type = INCANDESCENT (not LED).
Standard adjustments #51, Coindoor ball saver = YES. (handy)
Feature Adjustment #4: Iron Man mode start with M/B = YES (i like to live dangerously)
Feature Adjustment #7: Monger Letter Difficulty = Medium
Feature Adjustment #8: Iron Monger start difficulty = Hard

I did led, on the original. What happens with it on decondescent?

#3802 4 years ago
Quoted from HIPPY:

I did led, on the original. What happens with it on decondescent?

Correction, incandescent. Update is amazing.

1 week later
#3867 4 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Originals where built like tanks! The 3 I know of including mine haven’t had a single issue between them, glass has only been off for cleaning and waxing. Playfields still look fantastic.
First vaults seem to be pretty solid too.
Biggest issue buying a new re-Vault is Sterns current build quality and quality control or lack of, with Ironman I’d buy older an original or first edition vault, if you play it a lot Ironman gets pounded and I just can’t see Sterns new soft playfields holding up too well.

I bought an original, nib,in 2010. Absolutely no problems. Not even a switch. Built like a tank is correct.

1 week later
#3937 3 years ago
Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

Strangely i'd heard the opposite - games with video (IM, TRON...) look better with LED!
But I'm the same as Dave above, MUCH prefer the LCD set to DotsXL as it just looks a LOT clearer to me. Must've bought about 10+ LCD's over thefew years now. No experience with LED except playing games with them at shows, and generally being unimpressed.

Ever notice the play field glare on led? Not so on lcd.

3 months later
#4055 3 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Ive had Tron Ironman and Avatar since release still can’t see myself selling them. Had plenty of others come and go though but love the fast paced brutality of these 3.

I love those myself. You like that style of game, try Transformers. It is the same gameplay.

1 week later
#4068 3 years ago

Does anyone have a source for alternate slingshot plastics for this game? Thanks.

1 month later
#4113 3 years ago
Quoted from RaoulJuke:

Hi everyone, just picked up a 2010 Iron-Man, pretty stoked to have it - my first post 2000 Stern!!
Locve the game but think there MUST be some great mods out there, either using custom made things from Mezel. - or using the plethora of iron-man toys, figures out there to make it look more amazing - one thing is for sure - how is there no Iron Man toy on it???
So i lay the challenge, show me your "must have" mods I really want to make this one look amazing. I personally prefer the comic Iron-Man over the film look - so if anyone has managed to incorporate that look with this well, especially interested.
Also interested in globe options people have used. Mine has been set up with pretty standard white ones and think there must be a killer combo out there. Plan to turn all the rubbers to yellow also.

While you are changing rubber, think about changing all the posts out, also. I went red rubber with blue posts. It did a lot. Pick a color post to go with your yellow. There is about 35 of them.

5 months later
#4303 3 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

So are you restoring that Iron Man or parting it out? I right ramp cracked where the switch connects a few weeks ago so I'm in the market for a replacement. If you're parting it out, let me know what the right ramp looks like and if you'd be open to selling.
Jason

Pinball Life has both ramps, if you want to go that route.

4 weeks later
#4330 3 years ago
Quoted from MWhit:

After tonight I may have to put my $2 towards a new left ramp uggggh
Do they make ramps for the vault? I will call Stern in the morning.
[quoted image]

Pinball Life has the ramps.

1 month later
#4360 3 years ago

Longest running game in my home. Bought nib in 2010. It has never broke,not even a switch. Replacing a broken plastic is an issue. I had protectors and still broke one. The wonders of superglue.

1 month later
#4438 2 years ago
Quoted from Lostcause:

Not long had my vault and it’s on 1.85, is it worth going to 1.86?

I noticed right off there is more Downey voices. Read the rest on Stern’ s download site.

5 months later
#4680 2 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

It was also shit on because it was one of the first games to use pegs as opposed to traditional service rails.
The game is incredibly good. Add the color dmd and it’s one of the best.

I bought mine nib in 2010. It had pegs. You had to create lighted figures. I also added service rails among much more. Longest in my collection.

#4681 2 years ago

Also, in that 11 years, has never broken.

#4685 2 years ago

If they don’t work in test mode, most likely transistors.Run them in test mode, first.

2 weeks later
#4693 2 years ago
Quoted from Boatshoe:

Hey Everyone, Good news is that I'm in the guy club! Yay! Bad news is that I quickly realized that this was the fastest playing Iron Man ever. Turns out someone put in stronger flipper coils. Boooooo. More work for me.
The Whiplash plastic is cracked because of this. Is there anyone that makes just this specific plastic replacement?
Thanks!

I have been looking for that plastic for years. Never seen one available. Luckily, I saw mine break and got the piece before it was gone. Super glue time, still holding.

#4695 2 years ago
Quoted from Boatshoe:

The original 2010 run. I figured I would save some cash over the current prices on the VE.

The longest lasting in my collection. Bought nib in 2010. It has never broken.

#4700 2 years ago

The one I have been searching for is the plastic below whiplash, has a rubber on it. I even had on protectors, broken at the screw. It’s got a rubber and goes above his 2 targets.

#4701 2 years ago
Quoted from HIPPY:

The one I have been searching for is the plastic below whiplash, has a rubber on it. I even had on protectors, broken at the screw. It’s got a rubber and goes above his 2 targets.

Next to the magnet.

2 months later
#4754 2 years ago
Quoted from TwilightZone:

Is there an actual skill shot on IM? When I hold in the left flipper, up post goes down, but I don't see any lit shot. This is the latest code.
Thanks!

The upper right ball guide is the skill shot, hard to do.

1 week later
#4759 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinstein:

At full size, backlit and on your game I think you will be surprised at how much it will liven up you machine. But its all good, to each their own.

I also put an alternate translight on mine. I wouldn’t post it because of opinions. You love it, and that’s all that counts.

1 year later
#4914 10 months ago
Quoted from megaladon:

Picked up an Iron Man and joined the club. It’s an incredible game with a shaker and the upgraded speakers. Does anybody have or know where to get a section 16 decal?

Go to the splash,before the market, there is a guy named flashpoint that has them. At splash type in iron man.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.95
$ 87.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Roseville, CA
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
$ 78.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hippy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/iron-man-owners-club?tu=hippy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.