(Topic ID: 88610)

Iron Man Club: Adrenaline Junkies Welcome!

By RobT

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 5,013 posts
  • 435 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 hour ago by KJS
  • Topic is favorited by 138 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240329_142221 (resized).jpg
20240329_144709 (resized).jpg
20240329_144719 (resized).jpg
IMG_0761 (resized).jpeg
IMB_fW5sie.gif
IMB_LZkXy7.gif
IMG_4293 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1268 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot 2024-01-30 040548 (resized).png
20240120_165323 (resized).jpg
IMG_4128.jpeg
IMG_4157.jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
thumbnail33 (resized).jpeg
Pinside_forum_7767911_0 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider baiter.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#183 9 years ago
Quoted from HemiOrange09:

If anyone is interested in candy red powder coated service rails for their IM and there is enough interest. I can run a batch of them... They are $65.00 for them plus shipping.... Here are a few pictures of them on my IM.
I can add these to my website for orders.

I'd be in for a set

1 month later
#299 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I recommend using the metal stern brackets. The legs will not touch the cabinet, and you dont see anything around the legs at all.

Agreed except I have two games from the factory with the metal offsets but the edge of at least one leg touches the cabinet in one case and nearly touches it on the other, meaning a little shimmy and it will wear, so I wound up adding extra padding on top.

1 year later
#1371 8 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

PS - I think most people who like Iron Man probably love Tron, and vice versa. Fast games with shallow but difficult rulesets. Always need that "one more game".

I have a substantial collection of Borg games yet Tron is one that doesn't grab me even with all the positive aspects of it, including the rules and theme integration. The unbalanced shot options per flipper is something that perpetually bugs me, and visually the game needs the lighted ramps to distract from the sub-par playfield art. A whole lot more effort went into the much aligned GoT playfield art.

1 month later
#1484 8 years ago
Quoted from Scuba_Steve:

I gotta say this is one of my favorite pins of all time. Surprisingly I'm enjoying this more than my Tron during the first few weeks of ownership.

Tron was made just months after IM by the same team. It has a great vibe, but even after playing it the past month, Tron strikes me as one of those where wizard mode is achievable simply by simply keeping the ball in play. In other words, I can consistently get to SOS by focusing only on a couple shots (Quorra and Disc), only because I found those are the only two modes that seem to linger after all the others are started, so I just go for them from the beginning and magically SoS happens. So unlike most games the challenge in Tron isn't to get to the wizard modes, it's to complete them.

In contrast IM requires higher than average focus to watch the ball and active planning for next steps due to limited ball times. Like Tron, the ruleset is broad and shallow, but I'm not aware of a tried and true path to success, it feels wide open and starting each mode requires intent. War machine is a tight shot, monger is a multi-phase mode with high risk and can get in the way of other modes, so careful planning is priority. Jericho isn't s super difficult to get to, but the odds are far less than SOS in Tron. There's nothing like Do or Die in Tron, and how many here can say they have ever seen Do or Die multiball as compared to Portal? Not even close.

In other words I think IM is a brilliantly balanced game compared to Tron's "just keep it alive long enough" strategy.

#1490 8 years ago
Quoted from ATLpb:

Damage can be done on IM (any game) simply by keeping ball alive as well.

You are technically correct, on any game if you keep a ball active long enough you will see everything. On IM the fact that it can be done with a single ball is thrilling, primarily because I can go through long stretches of days where exceeding 10M points is an accomplishment. I was first hooked on IM in a tournament, no outlane posts, increased slope, and sensitive tilt. For months I could not stop thinking about how to defeat the game in that mode, a pure man vs machine scenario, a chess match like no other pinball machine can offer, one move at a time... every shot is dangerous and re-achieving control of the ball after each shot takes real skill.

Quoted from ATLpb:

I'd have got a Tron by now if the Gem shot was a little easier and friend didn't already have a crazy good one.

As I understand Gem shot difficulty varies by game. Note that I didn't even mention it as a shot I even worry about, it's fairly easy to make on the game I play and Follow Gem just happens.

#1507 8 years ago
Quoted from Glarrownage:

Hey guys, I have an IMVE with 223 plays on it. The clear near the trough is chipping and cracking and I was curious if this is normal?

It is normal. I've heard there is a protector for this, but it appears to be easily repairable with something like Hard As Nails.

#1518 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinballpal:

It's not normal wear and tear. That is a poor clear coat job and is total bullshit.

That's an overreaction...balls consistently smashing into the open edge of a playfield will cause issues like this no matter what quality or depth of clear you place on it....It's the same thing that happens in scoops and shooter lanes. The faster you sling a ball down the middle causing rattle in the ball trough, the more damage you will see, and Stern games in general are faster than those from all previous manufacturers.

Iron Man is more prone to this issue because it has 2 magnets and a kickback that increase that force by slinging balls into the trough. If you don't like speed and the damage it can cause, buy an EM. Otherwise take some preventative steps like coating the area with Hard As Nails and/or Mylar and contacting Cliffy/Mantis about protectors... they will develop brand new protectors for you if there is enough demand.

#1524 8 years ago
Quoted from Glarrownage:

Does anyone know anything about hard as nails possibly yellowing over time?

I've used it for a few years, no yellowing... lacquer which does yellow over time takes even more years to do so, so time will tell.

2 weeks later
#1554 8 years ago

Now that's what ColorDMD was made for -- to fix Stern's crappy video clips! Really glad to see this happening.

1 week later
#1598 8 years ago

It's a great idea to set the game up to make it the most fun for you, and I have not tweaked any other game as much as I have IM. I've played a sample of this game with outlane posts in most closed position and less than factory slope it's completely boring. I've played another sample with outlane posts removed, tight tilt, and high slope and it's completely unforgiving, so somewhere in the middle is obviously the way to go.

For a while I had one or both of my outlane posts at the most open position and finally gave up and moved them to mid point. I left the tilt mech off for a while, which allows practice on ball saves. I also had it on 4-ball for a while as well, partially for guests, and partially so I can learn how to progress to the wizard modes. At this point everything has returned to factory settings, and it's perfect for me... though I do have the tilt mech set to lenient. It remains the go to game in my collection, for both me and my guests.

#1606 8 years ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

At a minimum, get a shaker and external sub. They add SO MUCH to this game!

Ugh, too much talk of a shaker that I don't have yet... would be cheaper than new armor and ColorDMD

#1650 8 years ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

My fix ultimately involved gently bending the Monger bracket and adding some very small washers under the lid.

Lots of washers on mine as well!

1 month later
#1834 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

It would make absolutely no sense to have a new entry for a game with only cosmetic differences from the original. VE is a marketing term, pure and simple.

I agree with this... they look the same, play the same. If we were to create entries for each edition we'd have to add more for MET/TRON/ACDC, etc, reviews would become split across editions, people would be even more confused, and we just want to avoid that mess at all costs.

1 week later
#1910 8 years ago
Quoted from Wickedbass:

What are your thoughts on LEDS for a 2010 IM? Kit,make a list myself, or is there a VE list.

Kits are rarely the best way to go.

Inserts:
- Add a gradient to the the ramp inserts white->yellow->orange->red, it helps you visually know how close you are to bogey
- Color match the rest of the inserts.
- GI OCD

GI is a different story. The game uses lot of blues and reds, so that's a good starting point. I tried purple in the GI in places to match monger insert colors, but ultimately swapped them out for blue. It's better than stock but I have yet to see anyone's color scheme for IM say "yes this is exactly it!". IMVE's all-white GI looks too bright to me, and lacks character.

#1935 8 years ago

Here's pics of my LEDs scheme.

Reds in IM targets and top lanes, Blues in rest of topaarea, outlanes have white and red, slings have white and pink... pink makes a nice transition from white to red, as red isn't bright enough itself to illuminate the ball. 1 SMD frosted in the GI, 1 LED frosted, color matched, in most of the inserts.

im_led1_(resized).jpgim_led1_(resized).jpg
im_led2_(resized).jpgim_led2_(resized).jpg
im_led3_(resized).jpgim_led3_(resized).jpg

2 months later
#2190 7 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I'll reluctantly agree that the IM Vault is worth more money to most people. However, I still think that IMOG and IMVE are identical from a player's perspective, which is what the ratings should represent. Fine, tell me your Vault is worth $500 more - just don't tell me it plays better.

Yes the play is identical between the two... unlike MMr where game play is a little snappier than the original. I like that I can color match inserts on IMOG, not an option with the IMVE, and a DMD glare guard is the cheapest mod available for a pinball machine. That would leave cabinet decals as the only difference of substance... Later runs of Tron also had higher res decals, but it didn't create any pricing difference.

Edit: There are also lighted figures, so one can justify a little extra for the lighted figures in IMVE.

#2192 7 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Why can't you color match inserts on the VE?

I was thinking they are the LED boards that Stern has been rolling out in recent models? Maybe they are still socketed?

1 month later
#2234 7 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

Anyway ... I'm getting conflicting info from the Internet and venders. Does IMVE have the "Spike" system or the "SAM" system? What is the difference?

It has SAM just as the original does.

2 weeks later
#2304 7 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

What's the best solution for the Monger lid being slightly too high in the front and slightly too low in the back?

I installed washers under the mounting brackets to level it out, at which point you can lower the entire lid level with the playfield. It is not a simple thing to get the exact washer heights and install them, so if you can achieve it by another means like bending the bracket mentioned above, try that first.

1 month later
#2462 7 years ago

I finally got a 100M+ score on this game, 66M DoD shot helped. Of course my prior game was only 2M.

3 weeks later
#2559 7 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Another quick preview of what the Ironman HD setup looks like. This time with the display in the game. My phone had a hard time with the light though, so the screen looks really washed out. It's not crappy in person. Come check it out in the PROC booth at expo. It may not do a whole lot by then, but it'll do something.
» YouTube video

Wow!!

4 months later
#2670 7 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Has anyone put a plastic protectors set on their ironman? Any particular seller/product you guys would recommend?

I've always use Pinbits protectors and they fit perfectly on every game I've done it for... not actually sure if anyone else sells full sets.

http://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13_86&products_id=484

5 months later
#2896 6 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

I never really liked IM until I had one a while back to shop out for a friend. After it left here I started missing it more and more until I couldn't take it any more. Now I'm happy again!

Everyone seems to come around eventually! Pinball Asylum tournaments got me hooked on IM with its fully opened outlanes and steep slope. It was the ultimate challenge, and became the game I looked forward to playing again. After it "disappeared" I had to find my own copy.

#2899 6 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Aside from being very difficult to get to, it's not that much of a wizard mode is it? It doesn't even have dots to go with it, just text with a timer. But that's ok, must of us won't get to it anyhow
Rob

Head-scratcher why that wasn't finished off with the IMVE code work.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lake Mary, FL

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider baiter.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/iron-man-owners-club?tu=baiter and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.