(Topic ID: 88610)

Iron Man Club: Adrenaline Junkies Welcome!

By RobT

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 5,018 posts
  • 435 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 hours ago by newpinbin
  • Topic is favorited by 138 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240329_142221 (resized).jpg
20240329_144709 (resized).jpg
20240329_144719 (resized).jpg
IMG_0761 (resized).jpeg
IMB_fW5sie.gif
IMB_LZkXy7.gif
IMG_4293 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1268 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot 2024-01-30 040548 (resized).png
20240120_165323 (resized).jpg
IMG_4128.jpeg
IMG_4157.jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
thumbnail33 (resized).jpeg
Pinside_forum_7767911_0 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Trekkie1978.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2007 8 years ago

I'm brand new to the club...VE owner.

Has anyone installed the service rails? If so, do I need to do any drilling or are the holes already in place?

Thanks!

#2009 8 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

Drilling is required. Be careful.

Is it already marked where I need to drill?

#2011 8 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

No, just find you an open spot to mount them in the middle of the playfield

image_(resized).png

Thank you!

#2014 8 years ago
Quoted from metahugh:

You don't technically have to drill, the kit comes with self tapping screws, at least mine did. No drilling necessary.

Which kit did you buy?

I bought the one from Marco.

#2022 8 years ago

I'm glad to be in it.

#2025 8 years ago

Another question for all the Iron Man owners...has anyone installed the mylar that goes around the magnets?

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/803-5000-MG

Is it needed or is it overkill to put it on?

Thanks!

#2028 8 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

Mine came with them on IMVE from the factory I believe unless the previous owner installed which I doubt. If you don't have them I would do that or the cliffy's..I saw he makes some carbon fiber ones that seem nice.

I wasn't sure if they came factory installed or not.

My Iron Man has been sitting in the box in my house for the past few days. Just waiting to get schedules worked out with a couple friends to do the grand unboxing.

#2075 8 years ago

How has everyone got Whiplash to hold onto his whips?

I'm thinking of using superglue, but before I do, just wanted to get a consensus on how people have made them stay in place.

Thanks!

#2093 8 years ago

Sorry for another question, but the Whiplash whips...how do you keep them bent? Mine keep straightening out.

I have an Iron Man VE...the whips came straight. Is that normal or should they be pre-bent?

Thanks

#2132 8 years ago

Mine said Iron Man LED on the box as well...it is clearly the VE...was just built in January too.

Anyway, hit a new high score tonight. I got to Do or Die shot and Jerricho on ball one...too bad balls 2 & 3 were quick drains.

IMG_1777_(resized).jpgIMG_1777_(resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#2162 8 years ago

I got the service rails installed.

What a complete pain in the ass.

Why Stern, why????

#2165 8 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

Oh they weren't that bad. Doing the interactive ramp lights was way worse. Installing new armor is way more time consuming.
And the IM Pro also came with pegs and no rails

I'm not fully recovered yet from my torn rotator cuff surgery.

2 months later
#2244 7 years ago

I picked up my VE in February of this year. Before I dive into my question for everyone, I just want to say that I'm extremely happy with my purchase. Game is simple, challenging, and addicting.

Which leads me to my question, how was this game not popular when it first came out?

#2261 7 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Any guesses on the size of the VE runs? I remember hearing the first run was around 500 or so, I heard no rumors on the size of run two.

On TNT's website, in the Iron Man VE description he wrote that it was a run of 200.

I don't know how official that is, just passing along the info.

#2267 7 years ago

Automated & Cointaker has some left (according to their websites)...as to how many, I have no idea.

I love having this game in my collection. All my friends who play it, love to hate it. They hate how it kicks their ass, but they love coming back for more. I'm the same way with it too.

The one thing I can't stress enough, is putting the traditional service rails on the game. I had to adjust a flipper the other day and it made life so much easier.

#2296 7 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

Do or die is qualified for if you complete all marks in one ball. Then a 35 million counter starts, you panic and then drain cursing loudly like Dave just did

Happened to me last night. Just when you think you have the game mastered, it'll remind who the bitch is.

#2309 7 years ago

66 million on the first ball only to end the game at 72 million.

#2314 7 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

So a very typical "good game" in other words.

My high is 84 million...I honestly thought I was gonna break it today.

#2317 7 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Guess I should have said "really good game".....72 million is a big score on IM. My all time is 180 million but games in the 60's-80's are still fairly rare. I'd hate to see my average score!

My next 10 games, I don't think I broke 10 million. I'm still trying to get over that 100 million.

I have 2 older brothers (11 and 9 years older). Growing up, they never let me win at anything. If I did win, everything had to be perfect. Guess that's why I love this game, makes me feel like a 10 year old all over again.

Does anyone here own or have played Iron Man Classic? I'd imagine that it is so much easier without those magnets causing so much chaos.

1 week later
#2355 7 years ago

I purchased the War Machine Iron Man 2 action figure to put weapons on his shoulders. It's a shame Stern didn't have these weapons already molded on it for the VE.

IMG_1965_(resized).jpgIMG_1965_(resized).jpg

7 months later
#2727 7 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

...so umm I just joined...wtf did I just step in the middle of here...

Where did you find one NIB? I thought they were all sold out a while ago.

2 months later
#2769 6 years ago

I finally installed a shaker motor tonight in Iron Man...why did I wait over a year to do this?!?!?!?!

It's my first shaker install on the SAM system...I definitely like the SPIKE shaker install much better.

I know I've said it before, the game is extremely shallow, but the fun level is off the charts. I don't see how I'll ever tire of this game.

8 months later
#3137 6 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

You guys are the experts, so I will ask here.....
I’m considering either selling my Ironman or trading as I want an Addams family (yeah, totally different gameplay, huh?)
What is a nice ironman going for these days?
I have an original run IM that is in great shape. It has a McKee topper, shaker motor, led flasher backbox kit, side blades, lit figure mods, lit whiplash whip mod, real service rails instead of pegs, flipper fidelity speakers, speaker light mods with Ironman symbol acrylics, and colordmd, monger decal n trapdoor, 3D mod on backboard of play field. It has clear protectors around flipper buttons, so no decal wear or scrapes/marks. I keep Mylar circles over the magnets, so no mushrooming or wear around those.

My expert opinion: don’t sell Iron Man.

#3139 6 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Great advice . I do still enjoy the game, just getting the winter itch I guess.

I played mine for a good 45 minutes last night.

I never get tired of it.

2 months later
#3273 6 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Couldn’t agree more, I got Ironman upon release, it was my first game going into my first home and I still love it as much now as I did back then.
When I had to sell off my entire collection back in 2014 due to the worlds dumbest ex, Ironman was the first game I went after to once again start off/reaquire my collection.
Ironman has literally been the foundation of my collection since it’s release. Doubt I will ever sell it.

You're leaving out details...what did she do?

4 months later
#3360 5 years ago
Quoted from Breaking_Dad:

Hey all...looking for advice on how to attach whiplash’s whips..(trying to stay away from superglue)...I guess a lot of pins shipped without them...?...Thank you for any input............Joey
[quoted image]

I use hot glue.

Can't just use a basic hot glue gun. Get one that has interchangeable tips and use the smallest tip.

6 months later
#3482 5 years ago
Quoted from swilson143:

I just went from very excited... because I finally own an Iron Man. To very bummed out... because the machine I bought has a broken right ramp, and after searching for the last hour, all I can find is several years of wanted ads from people needing right ramps and not being able to find them.
Am I screwed, or are there right ramps available that I just didn't find?

Did you try calling Stern directly?

1 week later
#3488 5 years ago

I have the Color LED and I think it looks great on Iron Man.

6 months later
#3566 4 years ago
Quoted from Reaper802:

The VEs are numbered.
Mine is #98 of 300.

Where are the VEs numbered?

I have the 2015 run.

5 months later
#3718 4 years ago

Will I need to update my Color LED?

#3764 4 years ago

How do you get to the do or die multiball?

#3820 4 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Part of the problem is you have to be a solid player to even sniff what IM has to offer. It kicks even good players asses on a regular basis. It's going to frustrate your average casual player. That being said...owning an IM will make an average casual player into a solid player.

All my friends who stink at pinball love the game.

1 week later
#3878 4 years ago
Quoted from Thenewguy1337:

I just got an Iron man and I'm trying to figure out how to install a colordmd. I am to the part where you are suppose to ground it but I can not find any ground wire. Does anyone know how I should be ground the dmd or if I need to? [quoted image][quoted image]

The ground wire is on the speaker.

It's the metal speaker panel, you don't need to ground anything else.

Is this a 2020 VE? If so, did it come with pegs or service rails? New style magnets?

#3886 4 years ago
Quoted from Thenewguy1337:

It is the new 2020 vault. I found the speaker ground and got it moved over to the colordmd. Looks great now! The underside just has some pegs on it no rails. I had to slid it all the way out and tip it over to get underneath. The magnets look big. Don't look anything like the ones that I play on location. [quoted image][quoted image]

You didn’t need to move the ground.

#3888 4 years ago
Quoted from Kawydud:

It looks like Stern put the large magnets on the new vaults, which shouldn't have the wear issues that the small magnets have. So there shouldn't be a need for any protection.

I still put mylar around them.

#3895 4 years ago
Quoted from Kawydud:

I would to, but I over protect the crap out of my games.

I do too. I put mylar in the shooter lane, then cliffy's on top. The drain hole, same thing, mylar, then a cliffy.

On drop targets, I put mylar on the front and backside of the playfield. A game like ghostbusters, where the drop targets are in the middle, I put a piece of mylar around the whole thing.

#3904 4 years ago
Quoted from teddyb73:

If I was anyone that purchased a new Vault from Stern I would be upset. A little false advertising using the same sale flyer from the original Vault run for the new ones. They made the changes to the play field without notifying their customers. Only to find out when you open the box. The insert I could maybe get over. But the magnets look bad. I'm glad I have my 2014 Vault.
Below is a pic of my friends insert. He is trying to get Stern to send him out decals for the magnets.
[quoted image]

They definitely should’ve re-did the art around the magnets. On the Spider-Man VE, the art looks fine around the magnet because they re-did it to make it work around the magnet.

#3907 4 years ago
Quoted from maffewl:

I'm not a huge movie buff, but was there any significance to the Mark III suit? If so, that may make sense, but to just tie it to an Arc Bonus award seems a bit odd.

It was the first red and gold suit.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 87.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 27.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 46.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Roseville, CA
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 24.95
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
$ 78.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Trekkie1978.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/iron-man-owners-club?tu=Trekkie1978 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.